PDA

View Full Version : Short title runs *BDCA*

BigDaddyCool
10-26-2007, 12:19 AM
From my understanding, Kurt Angle just beat Sting for the TNA title. That is retarded. It makes Sting look like a fluke. And even though I don't like Sting, he isn't a fluke, he is the Icon, at least that is what TNA calls him, too bad they don't follow through.

Now, here is BDC quick reference guide to when short title reign are acceptable, and how:

If the champion is a legit champion, he either needs to have at least a 2 month title riegn or it needs to be less than 48 hours to be acceptable. Why? Because if he is someone who can be a legitimate champion, the he should have a legitimate run and less than 2 month without special cirumstances is unacceptable.

But what about this 48 hour rule? Well if the champion loses in 48, it can be said he was beat up and not at his best. Prime example, HHH at No Mercy winning from Randy, then fighting Umaga and going against Randy again.

Now if the champion is a fluke champion, then the title riegn should last longer than a week, but no more than 2 months (i.e. 2 ppvs). And very few guys can or are willing to pull this off, the only 2 I can think of are Mikey Whippwreck or Eric Young (if Young was ever a world champion, it should be breif).

Also, wether it was a fluke champion, or a screw job title riegn, there shouldn't be another short title reign for a long time without very good reason. And selling tickets in and of itself is not a good reason.

Discuss.

SuperSlim
10-26-2007, 12:29 AM
The only "fluke" title win that I can think of was back in the day when Triple H was the IC champ and it was Smackdown and Jeff Hardy got the surprise win to the shock of the masses. Then I think it was the very next show there was the rematch where Triple H dominated or something.

It worked then cause nobody saw Jeff winning against Triple H but he did. Triple H should have dominated but didn't.

The whole thing with Sting and Angle, those two should be rather evenly matched so a title switch that quick is screwed. so now it's like Angle is a two time TNA champion while Sting is well... a guy that can't hold on to the world title for longer than two months. But he's still the "Icon"

TNA never made sense.

DarKCentaur
10-26-2007, 12:31 AM
I think a series of quick title runs can really be good, if booked correctly. For that, however, you would need an incredibly solid main-event scene with at least 4 credible talents. For example, back in the Austin/Rock era, the title could have conceivably switched hands 4-5 times in 2 months between Austin, Rock, Taker, Mankind, HHH, and would have been totally believable and makes nobody look like a fluke. In the current landscape of the WWE though (and TNA, for that matter, although I haven't watched it enough to really say for sure) there is no solid main-event core. On Raw, you have a series of upper-midcarders, and HHH. Smackdown, you have Batista and Taker. ECW... well, the ECW Title isn't exactly treated as a main-event title. Although I guess half the roster could theoretically win it.

SuperSlim
10-26-2007, 12:34 AM
in TNA there is Angle, Jarrett, Sting, Christian, Sometimes Abyss, sometimes Rhyno, and sometimes other guys.

But then again Jarrett hasn't been "back" yet or something so just Angle, oh yeah and "The complete lack of Charisma Machine" Samoa Joe. Although I don't know where he stands either... like sorta main event but not quite.

so I'd just say Angle Sting, Christian, and sometimes Abyss.

Funky Fly
10-26-2007, 01:10 AM
I think they should just do a few quick title runs between the two for the next few months. Make them seem evenly matched.

Jeritron
10-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Bound for Glory is supposed to be their Wrestlmania, and presumably the main event is supposed to be big. Hence the winner of the main event/title should have significant momentum as it is what should be the promotions biggest win/push of the year.

With that being said, they have winners who go on to lose the title back days later. Retarded.
Say what you will about WWE, when's the last time the winner of the championship main event went on to lose their title/have their push killed shortly after?
Everytime it leads to a summer long push, maybe longer. They need to get their shit right.

BigDaddyCool
10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I think they should just do a few quick title runs between the two for the next few months. Make them seem evenly matched.

Yeah, because making someone a 20 time world champion over the fall and winter is go idea. Go back to casual.

It has to be special, and the guys need to be evenily matches, not in every area, but still. Like when Rock and Mankind traded the title that was awesome, even though one time was in an empty arena where there was a camera mounted to a fork lift.

Fox
10-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Sting lost the belt to Angle thanks to interference from Kevin Nash. So it's not like it was a clean loss or anything; it was the result of interference after a semi-dusty finish.

Plus, it sets up the tag team TNA Championship match for Genesis.

Xerzes
10-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Warning: a tag team match for a singles title is retarded.

RVDmark
10-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I think that what WWE needs to do is to stop following a formula. Every match is too predictable. TPWW's own tipsters league is proof of that. To bring back a bit of realism to the show, I don't think there should be any rules on how long a title reign can last. Now I'm possibly biased due to thinking that of all the people in WWE, Orton would be my last choice as champion. Whilst he plays his character well and is undoubtably a good heel. He's not championship material. Look at all the things he has done in WWE to get himself in shit. Now RVD (whilst I'm a mark for him) wasn't the best choice either for the same reason.

I would argue BDC that any length of title reign is permissable under certain circumstances. For example... Mr Kennedy and a returning Jericho feud over the IC title, Kennedy playing the heel, cheating to win, using diversionary tactics (get another of Jericho's nemesis' to come out and distract him etc), whilst Jericho plays the face but every so often cheating to win too. If they booked it right, Jericho could be just as devious, trying to win but the fans don't care that Jericho'ss cheating, just as long as he's ripping into Kennedy. The IC title could switch on a weekly basis back and forth and it would still look credible. To keep things interesting, both could be put into singles matches against others every so often where both men win their respective matches. Then at one point one of them (don't care who) gets the WWE chamionship and their rivalry continues, eventually culminating at a Wrestlemania (or SSlam / RRumble) when they have switched the WWE title back and forth between them over a few months and its to decide once and for all who is the better man.
All in all its a fued which is so intense that by the time its over they have deimated everyone that stood in their way. The title could switch hands weekly or bi weekly and as long as the fued is intense enough, it would be believeable. It would make a nice change to be saying "I wish they would make their mind up who they want as champ" rather than just waiting for the current champ to finally lose the belt.

Jeritron
10-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Why the fuck would you have a newly returned Chris FUCKING Jericho have his sights on the IC title and debut in the midcard?

Even if WWE fucks up and buries him, even they're not stupid enough to use him in the main event and give him the focus off the bat for a while.

Jeritron
10-27-2007, 07:30 PM
But I do agree that Kennedy needs to be IC champion and stay so until hes ready to get the big push.

Mr. JL
10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm against short title reigns period.

I think if you are going to go through all the work to make a guy THE CHAMPION then you should at least make it worth both the wrestler and the fan's while.

Kane Knight
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Short title runs feel like a mistake. I think they can probably be done well, but usually they come off as a mistake.

Jeritron
10-27-2007, 07:50 PM
The Rock and Mankind trading the title every couple weeks in the winter of 98/99 was some of the best shit ever. The championship was more credible than it is now, and the fued was phenomenal.

Savio
10-27-2007, 07:50 PM
worst short title run was Rhynos, He wrestles 3 matches in one night beats jarret then loses the next week.

Vastardikai
10-28-2007, 04:16 AM
worst short title run was Rhynos, He wrestles 3 matches in one night beats jarret then loses the next week.

We're talking TNA. You expect them to do something RIGHT? :rofl:

When their contract expires, I can see James Storm and/or Chris Harris being signed by Vince and becoming stars. That's not being on Vince's cock, either. He can fuck up the sure thing better than most (Vader, anyone?). But he is also capable of pulling off magic with the unexpected (Batista taking what "should" have been Orton's push and making a name with it.) I honestly believe he could manage to dumb luck his way into making either one of them draws.

And to Answer Jeritron, Edge's first reign.

RVDmark
10-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Why the fuck would you have a newly returned Chris FUCKING Jericho have his sights on the IC title and debut in the midcard?

Even if WWE fucks up and buries him, even they're not stupid enough to use him in the main event and give him the focus off the bat for a while.

It was only an example, I included Jericho and Kennedy, because, well, think of the promo's.