PDA

View Full Version : Will the NFL step in if the Pats keep "piling on the points unnecessarily"?

darkpower
10-29-2007, 06:19 AM
As in, if they are up by how much they were at the middle of the 3rd quarter vs. the Skins and they still have the starters out and throwing deep and trying to score and score and score, could you see the NFL, agreeing with a move like this or not, stepping in and issuing some sort of ruling on the issue?

I don't know personally if I would agree with it or not, but if Billichek (good coach, HORRIBLE PR guy, seems like a total cocksucking asshole) keeps his starters in if he has the game well in hand for a few more weeks (which he might not vs. the Colts next week, but it could happen with other teams), I could see Goodel coming in and saying something or taking action, or if too many coaches or players or personnel complain or fans start getting upset of what is going on.

Vote and discuss.

Triple A
10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
wtf

Why should the NFL step in?

How about the team actually tries to stop them on defense? Everytime someone says this shit it's so ridiculous to me. It is not the Patriots' fault that the other team sucks dick.

Londoner
10-29-2007, 06:41 AM
I dont watch NFL much(though have been watching it alot more recently), but i agree with Triple A's logic here.

road doggy dogg
10-29-2007, 09:13 AM
If the NFL does even so much as say anything, they will lose all credibility in saying how they have so much "parity" in the league. Would be so retarded.

Plus like I said in the NFL thread, Patriots are like the biggest heels since HHH.

Loose Cannon
10-29-2007, 09:19 AM
I always hated when teams let up. so stupid. it goes against everything you're taught. My baseball team did that about 3 times this year when we were up by about 9 or more. (Coach's orders) I say hammer then down until they cry.

road doggy dogg
10-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I mean. There's a lot more shame in losing to a team that isn't even trying, than there is to a good team who played their asses off and clobbered you. It just defies reason to not want to win as much as you can.

Gonzo
10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah if the NFL stepped in it would be the most ridiculous thing ever. They won't do it.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-29-2007, 10:26 AM
It's not peewee football, its professional. They are all grown men, I am sure they can handle it. If anything, this should be motivation for the teams coming up. Plus this past week was like the only week where you could make a case of them "running up the score"

Innovator
10-29-2007, 10:29 AM
If the other team doesn't like it, stop them

ct2k
10-29-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm not much of an NFL watcher but I think this is the kinda thing that any sports fan can be outraged by...HELL NO the NFL shouldn't 'step in'

Innovator
10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
If anything when Brady comes in for his 6th TD pass, do a jailbreak blitz and knock him silly. That sends the message to Belicheck, and a little NFL warning.

RP
10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Bob Sanders will shit all over Belichecks parade Sunday.

Its going to be amazing.

Ogen
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard plesae please tell me theres no precedent of anything remotly like that happening.

road doggy dogg
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Not a chance.

Stickman
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
It's not their fault they're amazing. I dont' religiously watch NFL but I will sit and watch a Pats game just to see how huge the victory will be.

SammyG
10-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Wtf, no. The Pats are unbelievable this year, this is a good thing for the NFL too. Pats are the most exciting team rite now.

Ogen
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Is this something that people would actually complain of in any sports? Like wheres the question coming from.

Evil Vito
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
<font color=goldenrod>NFL won't say or do anything, nor should they.

While going for it on 4th down with your starters is really dickish when you are up 38-0 and have the game locked up, its all up to the D to stop them/knock somebody out</font>

road doggy dogg
10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Is this something that people would actually complain of in any sports? Like wheres the question coming from.

Dunno how often you frequent the boards anymore, but darkpower is what we like to call a retard.

darkpower
10-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Dunno how often you frequent the boards anymore, but darkpower is what we like to call a retard.

I'm not saying I would agree with it either, but I would see the NFL at least SAYING something. I'm asking because I'm sure the analysis shows will bring it up, and because Randall Goofry (Skins LB) said this:

"I said something to (Belichick) after the game," Godfrey said to NBCSports.com. "I told him, 'You need to show some respect for the game.' You just don't do that. I don't care how bad it is. You're up 35 points and you're still throwing deep? That's no respect....
"You look at all the great head coaches ... I'm just disappointed," he said. "You gotta show some class, show some respect. Joe Gibbs? We wouldn't have done that. Bill Walsh? You wouldn't see those types of guys doing that stuff. I've never seen nothing like that. Most teams, you get up like that you sit on the ball and try to run the time out. They're up 30-some points and they're throwing deep. That was blatant disrespect. I hope we can see them again, definitely. You don't see Joe Gibbs doing that. You can't even imagine that kind of stuff coming from him. Joe Gibbs. Bill Walsh. Bill Parcells. This isn't like college going for power rankings. This is the pros you show some respect, show some class."

Yeah, I got that reputation for some reason, but I think this is a very good question. Don't know if it will be very popular (and you risk getting your starters fucked up anyway if you do this), but I feel like they might.

road doggy dogg
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe because Gibbs sucks, Walsh is dead, and Parcells is retired? That's why you don't see them doing that.

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
There's not a chance the NFL will step in. That's a ridiculous question.

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
How about the team actually tries to stop them on defense? Everytime someone says this shit it's so ridiculous to me. It is not the Patriots' fault that the other team sucks dick.

I agree with that to some extent.

At the same time though, as much as I hate the Redskins, you're up 38-0 late in the 4th. You have proven that you are a much better team. Another 7 will not prove any more. At that point it's just disrespectful.

Stickman
10-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Cover the deep ball then.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I think the only thing they could have an issue with is going for on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal. I didn't really think that was necessary but I don't think it was that big of a deal

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Cover the deep ball then.

You're missing the point I'm making.

I'm pretty sure Washington tried to cover the deep ball... there was some effort made. I'm pretty sure the game plan was not "Let's not cover the deep ball".

However, once it is 38-0, the point has been proven... THEY CAN'T COVER THE DEEP BALL. They are incapable of doing it. They lose. New England's passing game was much better than their defense and they destroyed them. Game over... to continue trying to score as opposed to just running the clock and getting the game over with is disrespectful. You got a W and showed your superiority over one of the better defenses in the league. Scoring another TD is meaningless to you in every way. Why rub it in?

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I think the only thing they could have an issue with is going for on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal. I didn't really think that was necessary but I don't think it was that big of a deal

I think that coupled with still passing the ball and making no effort to get the game over with quicker, get guys off the field, let the beaten down Redskins go home and not lengthen the game, maybe even leading to unecessary injuries is the issue.

Come to think of it, did they pass the ball on 4th down? Cause if they ran it, I actually don't think it's that big of an problem.

Reavant
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Thats rediculous... the Pat's goal is to win the superbowl and if they were just mediocre they could make the playoffs because their division is shit. Because of that, they need to stay focused and execute their plays and if by doing that they score touchdowns, its the other team's fault that they cant compete with the Pats.

Reavant
10-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Plus the players need to stay in game shape for when they get into games with teams like the colts. Taking them out after the second quarter doesnt make sense. I swear to god anyone who doesnt understand this and is talking shit just because they hate the pats is a jack ass.

I am a bills fan... yes i know... but im defending the pats cuz they have done nothing wrong. Theyre actually doing the smart thing.

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
No one said anything about taking out the starters in the after the second quarter or even at all. Just run the clock and get the game over.

To say that running the clock and not trying to throw in another meaningless TD is suddenly going to take the players out of game shape is ridiculous. Like if they just run the ball in the 4th quarter and beat Washington 45-0, they're going to be rusty the next week... come on. :lol:

Reavant
10-29-2007, 11:33 PM
ok sure yea lets just grinde out your really good O-line and running backs instead of spreading the ball to everyone. Running out makes the quarterback and recievers lose all focus and intensity and if you are as good as the Pats you dont want that happening every game of the season, because they will not be able to play the whole game and you risk burning out the o-line and backs. And taking knees in the third and fourth quarter out side of two minutes left ismore direspectful than going for a score.

#1-norm-fan
10-29-2007, 11:47 PM
ok sure yea lets just grinde out your really good O-line and running backs instead of spreading the ball to everyone.

lol. Seriously...

In that case, you put in your second team offense and run the clock down... like EVERY OTHER TEAM has done through the years when they get a huge 4th quarter lead. And then they run the ball, letting the clock tick down and getting the players off the field healthy.

Running out makes the quarterback and recievers lose all focus and intensity and if you are as good as the Pats you dont want that happening every game of the season, because they will not be able to play the whole game and you risk burning out the o-line and backs.

The thought that your QB and recievers are going to lose focus and intensity and not be capable of playing 4 quarters the next week because the team ran the clock out in the 4th quarter after blowing a team out is just retarded. That's pretty much all I can say about that. There is no argument because it is just a dumb statement.

darkpower
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Again, the question is NOT if you think they SHOULD. We could debate all day as to whether or not there SHOULD be interjection. The question is if you think they WILL do anything, whether we will agree with it or not.

owenbrown
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with everyone who has said "if they are running up the score on you, FUCKING STOP THEM!!!".

Stickman
10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
These are grown men, making millions of dollars. Win lose or draw you dont' stop playing hard. You might as well stop watching sports, this isn't children playing and not keeping score. In basketball if there's a blow out you dont' stop trying to make baskets. In baseball, you don't intentionally strike out. Come on man, this is the NFL.

RP
10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
First thing, no. No one should step in. Thats rediculous.

But i crack up at all these TV sports personalities and other people on the radio or in columns that are like " Well if you dont like it ...Do something about it ! "

YAH NO FUCKING SHIT. I'm sure these teams were going in totally unprepared and in the 4th quarter when Brady throws his 6th touchdown after going for it on 4th and 8 with a 30 point lead, they were like " You know, maybe we should just do something about it. Hmmmm "

People that say " Maybe they should do something about it " Are the most retarded people ever. I'm sorry, but its not like these teams are going out there and trying " Not " to do something about. They arent going out there and not playing hard. What kind of fucking comment is that anyways? Hey Emmit Smith, while you're on TV not getting the score run up on you, suggesting the Dolphins should just " Do something about it " how bout you get a bit more specific. Like, what exactly do you suggest Cleo Lemon do about it? What exactly should Ted Ginn Jr. and whoever the fuck was playing for Ronnie Brown, do about it? S

"They should do something about it" is the most retarded thing i've heard in the history of retarded comments that our suppose to sound really smart and to the point. I'm sure if the Dolphins or the Redskins or the Bills or the Jets were able to do something about the Patriots, they might be winning divisions and playing in Superbowls. Obviously they arent.

Its like Michael Jordan playing basketball against a really good handicapped basketball player in a wheelchair, driving and dunking on him all game long, then turning around and telling the poor asshole that if he dont like it, he should do something about it.

Give me a fucking break already. Thats the most retarded thing i've heard in so long. I'm shocked it didnt come from VEL. I think i'm gunna go rep VEL just because that shit didnt come from him.

redoneja
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Nah, the Pats should just go up 56-0 and during the fourth quarter they should just take knees on the first three downs and then punt. :shifty:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Boston

Team Sheep
10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Pathetic topic really. Basically punishing a team for being so good is what is being discussed here. Ridiculous.

RP
10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
That chick that was trying to grill Belidonkey on the 4th downs totally dropped the ball.

She was like " Whats your philosophy on going for 4th down already being up 38-0" He said " "What do you want us to do? Kick a field goal?" "It's 38-0. It's fourth down. (We're) just out there playing.". I would have followed up by sayind " Whats your philosophy on employing a punter? jackass ".

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah you are so tough, you would show Belichick and all of New England who the boss is

Stickman
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
If you go for it on 4th down and don't make it, the other team is going to have great field position, so what's wrong with that?

Stickman
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Basically the Pats are pissed off that they got caught cheating, even though every team does it, so they're giving it "to the man" by running up the score.

RP
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah you are so tough, you would show Belichick and all of New England who the boss is

What on earth are you fucking talking about? Tough? Huh? I'm not gunna beat the guy up? WHAT TEH FUCK ARE YOU SAYING?

Mercury Bullet
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I mean, it is kind of a dickhead thing to do...but what...should the NFL establish rules against scoring points or something? No. For the league to take any action would be absurd. If they want to run up the score, they have the right to run up the score. Scoring is part of the game and even if people don't agree with it, tough shit. You can't put some kind of cap on scoring. Let the media and the fans slam it if they want but the league will stay out of it.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-30-2007, 06:09 PM
In Connecticut HS football, if you beat the other team by 50+ points the coach gets suspended for the next game.

I just think this whole thing is funny because from what I've heard Gibbs didn't seem to care about the Pats scoring (I haven't actually seen it tho)

UmbrellaCorporation
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
In Connecticut HS football, if you beat the other team by 50+ points the coach gets suspended for the next game.

LOL, WHAT? Why?

For the record, I don't understand what the problem is with running up the score. Save the other team humiliation? Who gives a shit? The offense is paid to score, and the other team's defense is paid to stop it. If they can't, tough shit.

My applause goes to the Patriots for being able to do it.

#1-norm-fan
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
LOL, WHAT? Why?

For the record, I don't understand what the problem is with running up the score. Save the other team humiliation? Who gives a shit? The offense is paid to score, and the other team's defense is paid to stop it. If they can't, tough shit.

My applause goes to the Patriots for being able to do it.

All true.

This entire argument just comes down to where you believe the line is between crushing your opponent and showing the respect of just ending it.

Personally, I think once you've proven your point by demolishing a team 42-0 with very little time left, you should show them some respect by just trying to end the game as quickly as possible.

darkpower
10-31-2007, 07:01 AM
I think I can see both sides of this.

I think the issue is that the Pats are TRYING to run up the score to make a statement that has already been made. If your second string and third strings are still scoring points by driving the ball down the field by getting first downs and running out the clock, then yeah, don't fucking whine about it that you can't give them a 3 and out.

However, if a coach, up 48-0 in the 4th with 10:00 left, and he still has all his 1st string players out there, throwing the ball deep, going for it on a 4th and forever, then yeah, you not only run the risk of making people believe that you think you are above the game and lose respect of those that believe that mercy should be shown, but you also take the serious risk of your starters getting injured, which I think is the REAL reason they should stop doing this. What if Brady gets injured because someone decided to show THEM up, or if Moss suddenly comes down wrong on his ankles trying to go for one of those deep balls? What if you don't have those key players when you NEED them because you decided that you are above the game? And the Pats are going to NEED them for some key games that could expose them if they are not careful. Sure, it might be a cool thing to do, but not smart at all, and Billichek looks more of a cocksucker than he already IS by doing so.

I've heard about that Conn. rule, too, and I think that's kind of pushing THAT somewhat the way it is written. That's why I can see that from the other angle on this.

Londoner
10-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Lol..people arguing its disrespectful really dont 'get' sport. In football over here(soccer) if somebody like Man utd beats some shit team 9-0for example(which has happened), we just accept it and look back on it as a classic match, the same should be done in NFL. So what if its disrespectful?Its a fucking game. What i think the distance of how big the score proves is how big the gap is between the two teams and thats what the more dominant team wants to show. And if the weaker team ever wants to understand their weaknesses and improve, then there shouldnt be anything wrong with a better team beating them badly and revealing those weaknesses. Some american sports fans are such cry babies with this stuff, they'll complain over anything.

VonErichLives
10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
I find it funny Godfrey was crying about getting his butt kicked yet Gibbs came out and said he has no problems with anything Belicheck did.

RP
10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
What do you want Gibbs to do? Go out there and start whining and crying about being treated badly? A legend coach dont do that. They just move on and remember.

Evil Vito
10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Tony Kornheiser today theorized that anybody who injures Tom Brady is gonna get a year-long suspension. Gonna be interesting to see if a team like the Eagles decide to do it anyway</font>

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
It's not like they pulled the Buddy Ryan move of faking a kneel down only to have the QB throw a bomb to a wideout for a TD with no time left. Somebody might take a shot at Brady but there would be such backlash against that person's image if it is blatantly obvious that I'm not really sure. If teams feel like the Pats are running up the score the only payback is to run up the score against them when given the opportunity.

VonErichLives
10-31-2007, 07:55 PM
last time I remember a player purposely trying to injur was that guy from greenbay who slammed jim mcmahon after a play... anyone remember what penalty he got?

Londoner
11-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Lol, you wanna talk about being disrespectful..a classic example of how we just get on with it in football happened last night. Madrid played valencia at valencias home ground and valencia are in crisis atm, did madrid give a shit?Nope. they were 4-0 up inside 36 mins of the first half and tbh at one point i was thinking this is going to be atleast 10-0. And tbh it could've been had it not been for the ref letting valencia off with poor offside decisions. madrid won 5-1, but it couldve been more. But you know, theres a lesson in heavy defeats, it wouldn't be as fun if things like that never happened.

Nervous Ferret
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
lol love the poll

Funky Fly
11-05-2007, 12:45 AM
What the fucking fuck? These guys are being paid millions upon millions to play a fucking game. If they are so shit that they can't put up even a little resistance then they shouldn't be bitching about being disrespected, they should retire and make way for someone who won't cry about it. This isn't some pee wee shit, it's professional level sports. That means you go out there and you play to the best of your abilities from start to finish. It's not professional to ease up because the other guy sucks. You give people their god damn money's worth. I can't believe that supposed tough guys are crying about this.

Unbelievable.

Londoner
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Well said funky.

Londoner
11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Btw lol@ the poll...maybe were piling on the points unnecessarily for no? Should we make a rule where we have to give the other option a chance to catch up?(THAT WAS SARCASM OBVIOUSLY...)

Funky Fly
11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Shit still makes me ANGRY.

#1-norm-fan
11-13-2007, 03:21 AM
I think if the players or coach complains about the opposing team piling on, then that's retarded. You're just making yourself look worse by whining.

However from an outsider's perspective, disrespectful.