PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Game of 2004...

RoXer
03-05-2004, 06:13 PM
So for the past few years, I've always been an All-Star Baseball fan, however this year I'm leaning toward getting MVP 2004. To me, the graphics in this year's ASB haven't improved much from this year. There was also a lack of roster updates last year. And I hear this year that ASB is Broadband only, so I'm kinda screwed there. So I'm definitly going with MVP. So what are you guys getting or thinking of getting?

DaveWadding
03-05-2004, 06:13 PM
MVP.

RoXer
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Get the network adapter so I can kick your ass!

DaveWadding
03-05-2004, 06:41 PM
I have it...but my PS2 is fu</>cked...:(

MrMeJW
03-05-2004, 06:51 PM
MVP as well

Shaggy
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
I really havnt been a fan of the new baseball games lately. The one that Ive kept on playing that i love alot was Major League Baseball 2k2 for the dreamcast.

mitch_h
03-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I'll have to get MVP baseball, although World Series is 10 times better.

MrMeJW
03-05-2004, 11:31 PM
No World Series baseball this year... now its ESPN... I don't know if the gameplay is stil lthe same

RoXer
03-06-2004, 12:04 AM
I guess Bonds won't be in any video games this year since he isn't a member of the MLBPA or something. I could probably find an article on it, but I'm kinda tired.

RoXer
03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Why Barry Bonds won't be in ANY video game in 2004.

November 24, 2003 - Baseball video games are the lowest selling of any of the major sports, and they're about to take another hit. When Giants star Barry Bonds announced that he wasn't renewing his group licensing agreement with the Major League Baseball Players Association, it meant that if a video game company wanted Bonds for their game, they would have to negotiate with Bonds and his agent separately and pay a fee for Bonds in addition to the large lump sum of cash each company already pays to the Players Association for the rights to the majority of players.

However, sources from a variety of game developers and publishers fear that if they try to sign Bonds to an exclusive deal like the one Michael Jordan signed with EA Sports a few years back, the Players Association will not approve the title, causing delays to this year's game and possible repercussions down the line. Others openly questioned whether or not signing Barry Bonds to an exclusive deal would even be worth the hassle as his name and popularity simply doesn't translate into game sales.

Bonds obviously disagrees and thinks his name and image have been mishandled throughout his playing days. "I feel like I've been misrepresented my whole career, as a bad guy, a bad person," he said during a recent conference call after accepting his 6th MVP award. And now Bonds wants more control over everything that includes his name and/or image, including his inclusion in video games.

"As far as I know, Barry Bonds will not be in any baseball game coming out next year," said one source.

Still, most companies simply seem to be waiting until the December 31st deadline passes to see if some sort of arrangement can be reached.

"We're just hoping something can be worked out," another source said. "The baseball game market is already hurting, and to not have arguably the best player in the game in any of the products, well, it's not going to help sales."

According to these same sources, the game publishers will also not be allowed to create anyone on the Giants who looks or plays like Bonds. It looks like Giants fans will just have to get used to seeing Tony Torcato in left instead of a sweet swinging fantasy player named Barry Stocks, as anything used to indicate Barry Bonds, any replication of any kind would be borrowing on his equity and therefore not approved for licensing.

Jeff Brown, Vice President of Corporate Communications for Electronic Arts had this to say: "This is a matter to be resolved by the player and the MLBPA. However EA strongly believes that working through the Group Licensing Program is the most equitable way to ensure that athletes are compensated for use of their publicity rights. Working PA doesn't restrict a player's ability to enter further agreements on packaging, promotions and appearances. Dropping out of the collective licensing process hurts the players and the value of the license without creating much value for the hold out. We strongly urge all players to participate in the MLBPA l Group Licensing Program."

What doesn't make sense is the fact that by pulling out of all video games, Bonds is turning himself into the very bad guy he thinks he's been wrongly portrayed as, and he's doing it to millions of fans who look forward to playing as him long past his Giants have wrapped-up their season.

Seems like another case of bad advice. Either that, or he's still mad about his Dreamcast game getting cancelled. Any way you look at it, though, it looks like a lose-lose situation for gamers, especially Giants fans.

There is no joy in virtual Mudville. The mighty Bonds just struck himself out.
-- Jon Robinson

http://sports.ign.com/articles/442/442035p1.html

mitch_h
03-06-2004, 12:43 PM
No World Series baseball this year... now its ESPN... I don't know if the gameplay is stil lthe same

I hope so, I hope they keep the "franchise mode" the same as well.