PDA

View Full Version : Road Dogg Appreciation Thread

Jeritron
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't know if this has been done before, and I don't know if I care either. This should be on the first page.

Road Dogg was the best, as a part of the outlaws, DX and as a singles wrestler.
He may have fallen from grace and still be in the dumps, but here's to the greatness that was and is the Road Dogg Jesse James in his prime.

He very well may have outsold, outdrawn and out-popped most of the main eventers today.
He probably could have gone onto greater things.
http://www.angelfire.com/me4/wrestlertattoos/road%20dogg/dogg1.gif http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/377012/453696

Post thoughts, videos, memories or just testify to the greatness of the D-O- double G.

Kane Knight
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
He did outpop DX, so....:y:

Jeritron
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1at-rAsPk1c&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1at-rAsPk1c&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

addy2hotty
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qSsZ_gueoo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qSsZ_gueoo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rYQ1UQHW4E&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rYQ1UQHW4E&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Damn, I wish I was into the WWE as much as I used to be. I remember watching this, completely buying the fact that they had gone 'Corporate'.

As for Road Dogg, limited moveset and he gets shit for that, but it was no more limited than Cena's is/was.

Ironically, he's ended up a parody of himself in TNA, and that stuff with K-Kwik after DX was simply awful.

He's one of a few on the mic that had the crowd in his hand in WWE, but that sadly is where it ended.

EDIT - The pop when Billy hits Shamrock with the chair is great, where did pops like that go??

JJT420
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
that Hardcore Title match, was that RAW in Worcester that night?

Shaggy
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Love the road dogg....

Infact my screen name on everything else when Shaggy is taken is....Shaggyroaddogg

A7X
12-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Billy Gunn>Road Dogg. Always was way more entertaining.

IC Champion
12-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry I can't apreciate anyone who should have retired four years ago.

Innovator
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry I can't apreciate anyone who should have retired five years ago.

IC Champion
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Thats what I said....

Innovator
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
no i said five....

KYR
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
He's one of a few on the mic that had the crowd in his hand in WWE, but that sadly is where it ended.

Have to admit that I was a fan of DX back then, New Age Outlaws (heel and face), loved the Dumpster match with Foley and Funk, but I wonder if Dogg/NAO would have been as popular if Dogg had no mic skills? He had infinitely better skills on the mic than on the mat.

Dave Youell
12-04-2007, 11:06 AM
One of the most natural guys on the mic to be in a wrestling ring, as a performer, yeah he wasn’t amazing, but he did what he had to, to get by.

Theo Dious
12-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I was never really a NAO fan. They were okay, but honestly, Roadd Dogg's mic skills weren't even that great, they just clicked perfectly with the Attitude environment. Additionally, if they hadn't had Kliq coattails to ride, they never would have gotten where they did.

Jeritron
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd believe that if it wasn't for them being over without them.

On the same coin, you can say that about HHH and the kliq.

Loose Cannon
12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
well here's the thing. HBK and HHH actually came to RD and Billy and asked them to join them in segments because they saw how over the Outlaws were getting as heels. So DX wanted to feed off that heat. You could make a very strong case that without The Outlaws, DX wouldn't get as over as they did.

My opinion on him. He was a great preformer, hands down. Fit perfectly in the Attitude era. His movset was great because most of his moves were there to entertain the crowd. He's not a World Champion guy, but the man made money. Lots of money.

Billy and Road Dogg hate HHH with a passion though. It's bad. They hate Bret as well.

Dave Youell
12-05-2007, 07:21 AM
well here's the thing. HBK and HHH actually came to RD and Billy and asked them to join them in segments because they saw how over the Outlaws were getting as heels. So DX wanted to feed off that heat. You could make a very strong case that without The Outlaws, DX wouldn't get as over as they did.

My opinion on him. He was a great preformer, hands down. Fit perfectly in the Attitude era. His movset was great because most of his moves were there to entertain the crowd. He's not a World Champion guy, but the man made money. Lots of money.

Billy and Road Dogg hate HHH with a passion though. It's bad. They hate Bret as well.

I guess you've seen their shoot then.

RD only hates Bret because he called the NOA mid card

As for riding with the Kliq, they hated them, only did it to survive as it was a good spot.

Mercury Bullet
12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
We talk about so many people who never lived up to there potential, seemed loaded with talent but never really did anything with it...here is the opposite.

Mediocre ring ability, but enough to work an entertaining match. Average mic skills, but the ability to control the crowd. Road Dogg really over-achieved and had the most success he possibly could with the tools he had. I think if he we're reaching his peak in wrestling right now he could have been a main eventer.

IC Champion
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
We talk about so many people who never lived up to there potential, seemed loaded with talent but never really did anything with it...here is the opposite.

Mediocre ring ability, but enough to work an entertaining match. Average mic skills, but the ability to control the crowd. Road Dogg really over-achieved and had the most success he possible could with the tools he had. I think if he we're reaching his peak in wrestling right now he could have been a main eventer.

I agree.

Jeritron
12-05-2007, 02:33 PM
If it weren't for his personal downfall and the influx of other guys from the falling WCW, (and likely some of HHHs nonsense) then he may have worked his way up from uppermidcard to a main event push (even if that didn't mean actually winning the title)

The reason I think this is because, aside from the handful of big stars (Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley, Taker) Road Dogg was probably the most over guy. Not just as a member of a huge drawing tag team, but as a singles wrestler himself. On his own, he got tremendous reactions and made it clear that the stardom of the outlaws was his to run with, (even though billy was key too).

As the next most popular guy in the uppermidcard, he was probably primed to grow in popularity and his singles career. Billy Gunn got a King of the Ring push (which RD should have gotten), and Jeff Jarret was being shopped around for recieving a push. Road Dogg would have gotten his call. He occupied the spot that was later taken by the arrival of guys like Jericho, Benoit, Angle who were simply more talented all around. Road Dogg excelled on the mic, but these guys could work much better bell to bell and fit Vinces profile much more.

So here's where Road Doggs career basically falls apart. He's now bumped back from the on deck circle to the middle of the batting order. I don't even disagree with this, as good as he was and as much potential as he had, he had no business getting that push once Jericho and Angle showed up. He's no longer IC/uppermidcard material and lingers in the midcard.
They package him back in the outlaws, and that's great until HHH uses them again to make him stronger as a singles wrestler. He was floundering as a new champion and they needed to put the old DX army behind him, only now as heels.

Problem is, the crowd still popped Road Dogg despite massive heat for HHH, Xpac and Billy and he was a complete oddball in the new DX/McMahon regime. The regime sucked as it was, and he floundered within a floundering unit until his career officially was down the drain.