PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated wrestler of all time?

DaveWadding
03-07-2004, 12:12 AM
After watching the Flair DVD, I say without question, it's Terry Funk.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Mr. JL
03-07-2004, 12:15 AM
i can't believe you just said that

Fryza
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
IMO, Nash and/or Hogan, sometimes I'd even say Rocky.

sadio8
03-07-2004, 12:17 AM
For me it has to be Ricky Steamboat, don't ask why I just personally find him to be very overrated.

DaveWadding
03-07-2004, 12:18 AM
i can't believe you just said that

Why not? Not even Ric WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Flair, the God of all things wrestling could carry him to a good BRAWLING style match.

Mr. JL
03-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Why not? Not even Ric WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Flair, the God of all things wrestling could carry him to a good BRAWLING style match.
I've always enjoyed all the matches I've seen Terry Funk in. Though, I have only seen a select few, but all of them I can remember being entertained.

Funk/Flair... I actually really liked this match
Funk/Raven... abit short but still good
Funk/Sabu... sick hardcore barbed wire match
Funk/Foley... great action any time they hook up

I saw all of Funk's king of the deathmatch tourny matches and they were pretty great hardcore stuff

Rock Bottom
03-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Overrated, hmm... I'll have to get back to you on that... but most likely Goldberg. Beyond all else.

Savio
03-07-2004, 12:39 AM
Holly, Hogan, Nash, Kidman (he was for a time)

Funky Fly
03-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Goldberg, period.

John la Rock
03-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Hardcore Holly hands down

Iceman90
03-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Nash, Hogan, Piper, Goldberg, Bob Holly, Scott Steiner

Draven
03-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Goldberg

Hardkore Kidd J
03-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Goldberg by far. :y: :y: :y:

thuganomicalcrippler
03-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Goldberg. Absolutely no wrestling talent whatsoever, and he has less moves than I have good reps.

The Forgotten One
03-07-2004, 09:59 AM
For me, It has to be The Ultimate Warrior. He couldn't sell a $10 car.

Lamuella
03-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I disagree with the suggestion that Funk is overrated. He pioneered the modern hardcore style, always give 110%, and is willing to completely **** himself up to get a crowd into a match

Tornado
03-07-2004, 12:35 PM
<font color=#33ffff>As much as I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, IMO, Ric Flair is overrated.</font>

KingofOldSchool
03-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Harley Race

Watson
03-07-2004, 01:22 PM
:rant:

KingofOldSchool
03-07-2004, 01:24 PM
2000 Triple H owned you hard.

AareDub
03-07-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd agree with Funk being overrated.

DaveWadding
03-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I disagree with the suggestion that Funk is overrated. He pioneered the modern hardcore style, always give 110%, and is willing to completely **** himself up to get a crowd into a match

I'm kind of a purist...and even what I've seen from Funk before this (i.e. his old age stuff) I was never really impressed. The buildup to NY KO was good overall, but Funk dragged it down with his lack of promo skills. And the match itself...the crowd was into it, yeah, but in the I Quit matches I've seen, I've never seen a crowd NOT be into it. The match itself lacked psychology. It was a brawling style matchup (Funk in element, Flair out) but when it came to the finish...Flair really didn't work the knee enough to make it believeable, and it made Funk look weak...

I could have picked a million programs of Flair's better than this one (Flair vs. Savage, Flair vs. Hart in Saskatoon etc.)

Not to say that what you said isn't true...because it is. I just thought that the whole program was weak..and it was more Funk's fault than Flair's. Plus, I was never impressed with Funk ever, because I caught the tail end of his career.

Watson
03-07-2004, 01:34 PM
2000 Triple H owned you hard.

I agree, Triple H was awesome back then but that was 4 years ago and back when he was just like any other worker doing what he loves rather than a power-hungry jackass who uses his stroke to control as much as he can and being in meetings wrestlers aren't even allowed to be in just because he married the boss's daughter. He's got so much stroke backstage it ain't even funny. IMO, he married Steph for that reason.

Evil Vito
03-07-2004, 01:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The Triple H from 2002 to the present

But if you're talking about in terms of their entire career, Kevin Nash</font>

The Forgotten One
03-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I agree, Triple H was awesome back then but that was 4 years ago and back when he was just like any other worker doing what he loves rather than a power-hungry jackass who uses his stroke to control as much as he can and being in meetings wrestlers aren't even allowed to be in just because he married the boss's daughter. He's got so much stroke backstage it ain't even funny. IMO, he married Steph for that reason.

He was smart to marry the boss' daughter, so that he would always be on top. :shifty:

Stickman
03-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I disagree with whoever said Piper, just because I loved watching the Hot Rod.

The overrated wrestlers I can think of are: Goldberg, Nash, Lesner, Angle (He's good but his gimmick sucks), that's all for now, if i think of more i'll post.

John la Rock
03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
IMO, Nash and/or Hogan, sometimes I'd even say Rocky.

one question, how is The Rock overrated?

Evil Vito
03-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Angle

<font color=goldenrod>Leave.</font>

Gertner
03-07-2004, 01:55 PM
for wrestling skills- Hogan.

The Forgotten One
03-07-2004, 02:10 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Leave.</font>
:lol:

Vastardikai
03-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Lex Luger.

Dakota
03-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Hogan without a doubt. He has never had any wrestling skills and all the steroids in the world can't give you those. Is he cocky? Yes. Is he in love with himself? Yes. Does he think he's the best there ever was? Yes. Is any of that the truth? NO ! The man can't wrestle.

Scarlet
03-07-2004, 05:35 PM
X-pac

Stickman
03-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Lex Luger.

I forgot about Luger. Very overrated.

I'm also going to say the NWO Wolfpac was a very overrated stable.

MVP
03-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Diamond Dallas Page.

Shaggy
03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
GOLDBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StrongMad
03-07-2004, 07:03 PM
http://www.anniescostumes.com/goldberg.jpg

haha, a goldberg mask. over rated.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Okay, listing shitty wrestlers isn't listing over-rated wrestlers.

My pick would go to Rob Van Dam. He's good and works his butt off, but the guy can't throw a proper punch, and I've seen his shit against Jerry Lyinn and whatnot, he's a spot machine and that's about it.

StrongMad
03-07-2004, 07:13 PM
overrated

Not nearly as cool as people think it is.

so.... people think Goldberg is cool... and he's not as cool as people think he is....

does that not make him overrated?

Scarlet
03-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Tommy Dreamer. The guy sucks hardcore. The only thing he's good for is getting thrown off of stuff and getting completely destroyed.

Also, Sandman. He's only entertaining when he's bleeding

Seabass
03-07-2004, 07:58 PM
http://www.anniescostumes.com/goldberg.jpg

haha, a goldberg mask. over rated.

the weird thing is when I first looked at that I was like , whoa a gillberg mask!

V
03-07-2004, 08:06 PM
sean o' haire

:roll:

Guernica
03-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Randy Orton! :shifty: *hears Loose Cannon coming*

*runs like hell*

The Dub
03-08-2004, 02:51 PM
For me it has to be Ricky Steamboat, don't ask why I just personally find him to be very overrated.

You got to be out of your damn mind. I guess you didn't see WM3. That match with Savage was arguably the greatest match of all time? What about his feud with Ric Flair?

The Show Off
03-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Overrated is a tough term. It all depends on who is rating the wrestlers. If it's WWE that's rating the wrestler I'd have to say The Ultimate Warrior is the most overrated wrestler of all time. If it's the casul fans rating the wrestler I'd have to say that Jeff Hardy was the most overrated wrestler of all time (getting insane posps for falling into a tup of blue light paint) And if were talking about the people on these threads rating the wrestler I'd have to say that for the longest time Taz, back in his ECW days, was the most overrated restler of all time...

Ultimate Warrior, Jeff Hardy, and Taz are all wrestlers that I have liked at one time or another but based on the point of view your looking at each one was or is overrated.

Disturbed316
03-08-2004, 03:42 PM
lol, shut up dave

Hardkore Kidd J
03-08-2004, 03:46 PM
I think Triple H. Just because he seems to be a real jackass. He has no talent and yet he's held down almost every wrestler on the raw roster and beat them.

FlashyT01
03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I have to Say Triple H because he has the title but he only has one good move. Then there Ric Flair. I just think he's just over rated

The One
03-08-2004, 05:55 PM
"Psycho" Sid Vicious....sorry but for a man who held both the WWF and WCW World Title, I never once saw an even remotly entertaining match.

Fryza
03-08-2004, 06:28 PM
one question, how is The Rock overrated?

I've seen so much of his stuff, and it has all appeared the same to me. I'm not one of those people from the older boards complaining about how "he only has 5 moves!11!" or whatever, just after a year or so of his original HUGE push and all, he started getting stale to me. His matches and promos all seemed the same too me.

I the only time I REALLY liked him, was his heel turn last year, and especially his Mini-Feud with Hurricane. Other than that, everything he has done becoems old fast, IMO.

I don't think he's bad, I just find him to over-rated due to the bore he puts me through. :-\

The Show Off
03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
"Psycho" Sid Vicious....sorry but for a man who held both the WWF and WCW World Title, I never once saw an even remotly entertaining match.

Yeah Psyco Sid did suck but think of the ratings for this match "Arn Anderson versus Psyco Sid (Sissors on a poll match)" then he'd have one entertaining match.

My Final Heaven
03-12-2004, 01:52 AM
X-Pac - He is thankfully off tv now, but way back when I would get PISSED every time I saw him in a match. The guy didn't change his moveset in his entire carreer, & his only method of gaining heat was screaming & pointing at his crotch.

Mr.Violent J
03-12-2004, 04:10 AM
You have to define the term "Overrated". Yeah most people who haven't watched wrestling untill 1997 are going to think people like Hogan are overrated. But lets face facts, he put asses on the seats for many many many many years. So it couldn't of been all the WWF's pushing him in everyones face. There had to of been something there for fans to continue to watch as long as they did.

Funk? You think a guy who went out and put his body on the line the way he did JUST so the fans got there money worth is overrated? He's under-rated in my book. Do either of them have great wrestling skills? No. But that doesn't necessarily make them overrated. They both have legions of fans that hang on their every move.

With that said my pick is Billy Gunn. Yeah he was capable of putting on a decent match at one point but that is long gone. And lord only knows why the WWE keeps bringing him back over and over. He's not a terribly great in ring worker and never has been. He's got a lame finisher and the only reason he was even half way over in 98 was because he was part of DX. His promo's suck... I'm sure I could think of more but I'm a bit tired.

BLaZeR-
03-12-2004, 04:31 AM
Randy Orton
Hogan
Triple H ever since his return from the quad injury.
Goldberg
Austin
RVD

PureHatred
03-12-2004, 01:33 PM
How in the hell is Austin overrated? His injuries have made him a shell of himself in the ring, but all you have to do is see his stuff with Brian Pillman or the Bret Hart Match at WM13....and that's not even mentioning his work on the mic. He was one of the only reasons to watch Raw during that whole InVasion crapatorium.

And someone saying Steamboat was overrated...wow.

My choice is Jeff Hardy. GB is not overrated because most people know he's lousy in the ring. Hardy to this day gets an incredible amount of rep for falling off of crap.

Vastardikai
03-12-2004, 02:00 PM
My choice is Jeff Hardy. GB is not overrated because most people know he's lousy in the ring. Hardy to this day gets an incredible amount of rep for falling off of crap.

I know, people were comparing him to Shawn Micheals and Matt to Marty Jannetty. Must have been the hair color. Matt was the one making the matches not seem like spot fests. While that doesn't make for good Highlight reels, that DOES make for good matches.

Now, if they only pushed Matt... :mad: