PDA

View Full Version : Shane Douglas

Stickman
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I never saw a lot of the guy but some people list him as a legend. What exactly has Douglas done to be a big star? Other than throw down the NWA belt. Basically, what I'm asking is, why should I give a shit about him?

Loose Cannon
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
He's an ECW icon, that's it. Great talker, decent wrestler, but never did anything big outside of ECW. He was the Man for them back in the 90's.

DaveBrawl
12-18-2007, 03:46 PM
He started Revolution in WCW duh. :shifty:

Stickman
12-18-2007, 04:10 PM
He's an ECW icon, that's it. Great talker, decent wrestler, but never did anything big outside of ECW. He was the Man for them back in the 90's.

Is that why he's so bitter to EVERYBODY outside of ECW?

The MAC
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
dean douglas? shawn michaels didnt want to job to him,

Mr. JL
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
He could be pretty fucking intense on the mircrophone, but other than that I never much cared for him.

Stickman
12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Did he just not get the push he deserved in the WWF and WCW or did he deserve what he got?

Jeritron
12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
It's not a crying shame that he didn't get a huge push, but he probably could have done very well if given the oppurtunity.

Jeritron
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
He lacked a few things though. His look wasn't very intimidating.

BigDaddyCool
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Shane was your run of the mill singles wrestler from the 90's. Decent talker, decent worker, decent size and decent amout of muscle. He had nothing to seprate him from the rest of the pack, luckily he was in ECW. ECW has never been known for its starnard run of the mill singles wrestlers. In the whole course of ECW, I can only name 6 of the stardard run of the mill wrestlers they had; Shane Douglas, Chris Candito, Lance Storm, Steve Cornio, Tommy Dreamer and Justin Credible. (Now before anyone says anything; Benoit, Jericho, Eddie and Dean are all run of the mill cruiserwieghts in term of looks and style, not standard size singles wrestlers. I'm talking about guys that are like 6'2"+ & 230 lbs+). Also when Shane threw down the title, most of the roster was brawlers, garabage wrestlers, and Taz and Scorpio.

So being a standard run of the mill middlewieght singles wrestler actaully gave Shane an edge in ECW and put him apart. He wasn't a human highlight reel like Sabu or RVD. He wasn't a techincal genuis like Melinko or Benoit. He wasn't a hardcore garbage wrestler like Raven, Sandman, Cactus Jack, Terry Funk, Dreamer (he was a singles wrestler that became a hardcore garbage wrestler) and everyone else. He was uniquely old school singles wrestler.

So when Shane was in WWF and WCW with the likes of Flair, Henning, DDP, Austin, Pillman, Micheals, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, HHH, and all the others I can't remeber because they tend to run together, Douglas loses that edge because he is pretty ordinary. Honestly, if he never had that chip on his shoulder, he would probably be in Val Venis's shoes.

Funky Fly
12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Kinda what BDC said, yeah.

thedamndest
12-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree with BDC. I think in the Attitude era, "The Franchise" could have easily worked alongside the Austins, Rocks, HHHs.

thedamndest
12-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Based on character, not amazing in-ring abilities.

Jeritron
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Based on character, not amazing in-ring abilities.

He's the type of guy who could have gone places with the right push in the attitude era, because..well..he had an attitude. It came across in his character.
If he was a ruthless heel or even a ruthless anti-hero he'd work out, the same way Austin and HHH worked out. I can picture him getting a push from uppermidcard to main event similar to HHHs in 1999. He may not have last as long or reached the levels of HHH, but he certainly had the tools to work in the attitude era in the upper level.

BigDaddyCool
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree with BDC. I think in the Attitude era, "The Franchise" could have easily worked alongside the Austins, Rocks, HHHs.

No, I'm saying that in the Attitude era, Douglas would have been lost in the mix with Val Venis, RDD, D-Lo, Billy Gun, Marc Mero, Rude, the leaner HHH of original DX. He would be just another guy. But in ECW, him being just another guy was completely different from all the other misfit wrestlers.

thedamndest
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I would say even with the brand split, he could have survived just by changing the nature of the Franchise gimmick. Of course, he'd probably have wound up on Smackdown, but still.

Rammsteinmad
12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Y'know I've been meaning to do a thread on Shane Douglas for some time now...

About how much he sucks however...

I've been buying these DVD's they've been bringing out in the UK lately such as a best of XPW type... and a Hardy's interview... random stuff like that etc.

Anyway, everything Douglas does these days is just a promo where he acts all big and manly by swearing as much as he can. His matches all tend to suck, and his promos are more repetative than an Austin return promo.

He constantly does that whole "fuck Vince McMahon" thing... where honestly... you think McMahon is ever even gonna come across the video?

And the whole "I'm so cool and badass because I say Fuck/Shit/Ass/Dick/Cock etc in every promo" really doesn't do it for me. The guy's just a great big ball of bitter who sucks more dick than Paris Hilton. Back in the day he was average, but now he's just always playing the bad-ass heel type who drives off in his car at every show laughing at the camera thinking he's cool because he said "fuck" in his promo.

Also, he sucks in the ring (Did I mention that), and the only reason any of his matches are remembered at all is because it involved someone like Sabu or Terry Funk doing some mad crazy spot or something.

IMO.

Rammsteinmad
12-18-2007, 06:49 PM
And also, the only time I every any crap about Shane Douglas was in the Revolution, and that's only because Benoit, Malenco and Saturn were in it. :yes:

BigDaddyCool
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Y'know I've been meaning to do a thread on Shane Douglas for some time now...

About how much he sucks however...

I've been buying these DVD's they've been bringing out in the UK lately such as a best of XPW type... and a Hardy's interview... random stuff like that etc.

Anyway, everything Douglas does these days is just a promo where he acts all big and manly by swearing as much as he can. His matches all tend to suck, and his promos are more repetative than an Austin return promo.

He constantly does that whole "fuck Vince McMahon" thing... where honestly... you think McMahon is ever even gonna come across the video?

And the whole "I'm so cool and badass because I say Fuck/Shit/Ass/Dick/Cock etc in every promo" really doesn't do it for me. The guy's just a great big ball of bitter who sucks more dick than Paris Hilton. Back in the day he was average, but now he's just always playing the bad-ass heel type who drives off in his car at every show laughing at the camera thinking he's cool because he said "fuck" in his promo.

Also, he sucks in the ring (Did I mention that), and the only reason any of his matches are remembered at all is because it involved someone like Sabu or Terry Funk doing some mad crazy spot or something.

IMO.

Yeah, that was my point, Douglas was a C average across the board. His promos where never anymore more than talking shit on people that weren't even in the promotion. His matchs didn't stink up the place but they weren't 5 star classics.

Rammsteinmad
12-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Amen. :yes:

BigDaddyCool
12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Plus, he has a smelly penis.

KYR
12-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Plus, he has a smelly penis.

:wtf: Um. And you know this how?

The One
12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I always marked for Douglas in ECW. Couldn't have cared less about him the second he stepped on to a WCW or WWE stage, but in ECW he was giving free reign. The guy could put together pretty good matches and was incredible on the stick...provided he had total freedom. He's one of those guys who cuts a promo that half kayfabe and half shoot but delivered with 100% intensity and heart. Once he went somewhere where he had to work with a script, work in a controlled setting, and wasn't allowed to spew whatever heat filled thing filled his head at that moment he lost himself.

He's similar enough to the Dudleys to warrant a side by side comparison. I mean really all of them just aren't capable of making themselves worth the hype once they are told they can't use the word "fuck" every sentence. Couple not being able to say "Suck Dick" in every promo and being matches up against legit iconic wrestlers, and they just don't measure up. Having said that, I really liked The Franchise character, thought he played it perfectly and I was a mark of his...while the Dudleys never did anything special for me.

TOVO Fact: Tovo doesn't like the "Seasonal" M&Ms as much as the original colors.

thedamndest
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
No, I'm saying that in the Attitude era, Douglas would have been lost in the mix with Val Venis, RDD, D-Lo, Billy Gun, Marc Mero, Rude, the leaner HHH of original DX. He would be just another guy. But in ECW, him being just another guy was completely different from all the other misfit wrestlers.

What I meant was I agreed with your stock of his abilties as run of the mill. I think his gimmick would have gotten him above everyone you mentioned though just because it is sort of based on being the best.

Fox
12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Shane is the bridge burner of the wrestling world. He burned every bridge he had with the WWF, then ECW by ditching their asses, then he came to WCW which shut down a year later.

Now look at him. Pathetic.

St. Jimmy
12-18-2007, 10:35 PM
He fought the Kliq and lost. End of story.

The One
12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
He fought the Kliq and lost. End of story.

You know, take this out of context and "he" could mean just about anybody in the wrestling world, and it would still be true.

TOVO Fact: Tovo doesn't like to wear ties.

Vastardikai
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Shane is a Dynamic Dude. :shifty:

Zen v.W.o.
12-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Brian Pillman made him look like the second rate piece of crap he was. He tried keeping up, but nah, that couldnt happen.

Anyone that came into ecw for just a little bit that had a certain amount of real talent and skill made you realize exactly why Doulgas belonged in ecw, and nowhere else.