PDA

View Full Version : Baron Cohen to retire Ali G & Borat

Blue Demon
12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
British comic actor Sacha Baron Cohen is bidding farewell to the two alter egos that brought him international success: the dim-witted hip hop interviewer Ali G and uncouth reporter Borat.

The Cambridge University-educated performer is retiring the two over-the-top personas because they have become too well-known to be able to dupe unsuspecting interviewees, Cohen told The Daily Telegraph newspaper in an interview published Friday.

Bringing Borat to life helped launch British actor Sacha Baron Cohen to international stardom.Bringing Borat to life helped launch British actor Sacha Baron Cohen to international stardom.

"The problem with success, although it's fantastic, is that every new person who sees the Borat movie is one less person I 'get' with Borat again, so it's a kind of self-defeating form, really," Cohen said.

"When I was being Ali G and Borat, I was in character sometimes 14 hours a day and I came to love them, so admitting I am never going to play them again is quite a sad thing."

The 36-year-old British actor, who now lives in Los Angeles with actress-fiancee Isla Fisher and their infant daughter, rose to fame with his cult cable TV hit Da Ali G Show. The program showed Cohen portraying several characters who conducted often-silly interviews with unsuspecting subjects, including the likes of Newt Gingrich and Donald Trump.

His questions and comments were usually offensive and laced with double entendres, with the result being that interviewees either revealed their own prejudices or flailed uncomfortably in his presence.
Continue Article

In 2006, Cohen scored a major international hit with his film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which featured his moronic, anti-Semitic, mysogynistic, homophobic Kazakh reporter character.

Cohen makes a flashy cameo appearance in Tim Burton's gruesome film adaptation of the stage musical Sweeney Todd, hitting North American theatres on Dec. 25, while a production featuring another of his alter egos — gay fashion reporter Bruno — is set to hit the silver screen sometime next year.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/12/21/bye-borat-cohen.html

KingofOldSchool
12-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Good.

Mr Regal
12-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Yup.

Ali G was great to begin with, then it got tired and boring....way before the movie. Borat peaked with the movie, quite astoundingly of course. Can't do anything with that character now so good move retiring him.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-22-2007, 02:37 PM
They're making a Bruno movie? That is going to be awful. I can't stand Bruno.

Kris P Lettus
12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
The only funny Bruno skit was when he went to the Alabama football game..

Ali G was the shit, but as soon as Borat hit mainstream, it got played out just like every other thing that is good ever..

Kris P Lettus
12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!!

OssMan
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
eh I never thought Bruno was funny till he did this beach guys wrestling thing, now sometimes its pretty good

FakeLaser
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
P-A-R-T-Y

Loose Cannon
12-23-2007, 10:41 PM
eh I never thought Bruno was funny till he did this beach guys wrestling thing, now sometimes its pretty good

lol yep. that's what hooked me on that character. Then I started loving how he would make people say stupid shit to the camera

St. Jimmy
12-24-2007, 12:17 AM
This is because he was in that Fagballs musical with John Depp.

Kris P Lettus
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Says the guy in the fingerless gloves..

Boondock Saint
12-24-2007, 02:52 AM
It's probably for the best.

KingofOldSchool
12-24-2007, 09:17 AM
This is because he was in that Fagballs musical with John Depp.

Sweeney Todd > any of those stupid, lame ass characters