PDA

View Full Version : smackdown shining?

GD
12-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Since Super Cena's departure
we are having smackdown main event every ppv. Just wondering if smackdown would go on last at Mania?

Xero
12-25-2007, 05:05 PM
If Hunter's main eventing, RAW has it. Otherwise I'd give it to SmackDown!...

Hanso Amore
12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
If Smackdown Main Events, some one NEEDS to botch a SSP

Pardeep 619
12-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Smackdown should go on last at Wrestlemania, but they probably won't.

Theo Dious
12-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Smackdown should go on last at Wrestlemania, but they probably won't.

It hasn't since 19, has it?

Xero
12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Yep. Every single one after 19 was RAW, and in fact always involved either Triple H or Cena, one of which was both.

El Fangel
12-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Triple H - Married to Vinces Bitchy Daughter
Cena - Is Vinces Bitch

Russenmafia
12-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Yep. Every single one after 19 was RAW, and in fact always involved either Triple H or Cena, one of which was both.

and every Royal Rumble after that except for 2005 was won by a Smackdown wrestler. SD! is due the main event this year.

Kane Knight
12-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Smackdown's kind of just out there. They're not going to push it, and if it steps on aw's toes, it'll get slapped down, but they're not actively killing it, either. Don't have a reason to.

I still can't believe they sabotaged the show to have a strong negotiating point with Spike/USA. That is Carnie Logic.

Mr. Nerfect
12-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I think it's very nice that they have allowed SmackDown! the last few main events. Personally, I think the WWE Championship match should have closed Armageddon this year, to make Jericho's return look more important, but yeah.

The previous main events before that were screaming for the World Heavyweight Title to main event, so it's good they've allowed it to do such. Throwing SmackDown! a bone like that occasionally helps them out. ECW could really use that kind of courtesy when they have a big match, too, but like that's going to happen. To be fair, though, I'm sure a Chris Benoit vs. CM Punk match would have headlined at least one PPV this year if it weren't for Benoit going rabid.

SmackDown!'s WrestleMania main event is scheduled to be Edge vs. The Undertaker. Believe it or not, I can actually see them putting this last on the show, seeing as RAW's main event is most likely going to be really crappy. It seems that in recent years, though, the WWE has just thrown caution to the wind, and had the WWE Championship match close the show for no apparent reason. This year might be different for a few reasons, though:

* The Undertaker is one reason. The man had an allegedly great match with Batista last year, and surprised everyone, probably including management. They might remember it and give Taker the big shot because:

* John Cena is gone. If he were still around, he'd be headlining every PPV, and SmackDown! probably wouldn't even get a thought. With Cena gone, SmackDown! at least has a shot.

* The Royal Rumble is the last reason I can think of. The WWE realises how special this event is, but this year they have the No Way Out Elimination Chamber coming in. They might have the Rumble winner headline just to remind people that it's special. Besides, it will probably be Taker who wins the Rumble, which will be the first repeat win since Austin in 2001. I can see the WWE making a big deal out of it.

Hanso Amore
12-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I think it's very nice that they have allowed SmackDown! the last few main events. Personally, I think the WWE Championship match should have closed Armageddon this year, to make Jericho's return look more important, but yeah.

The previous main events before that were screaming for the World Heavyweight Title to main event, so it's good they've allowed it to do such. Throwing SmackDown! a bone like that occasionally helps them out. ECW could really use that kind of courtesy when they have a big match, too, but like that's going to happen. To be fair, though, I'm sure a Chris Benoit vs. CM Punk match would have headlined at least one PPV this year if it weren't for Benoit going rabid.

SmackDown!'s WrestleMania main event is scheduled to be Edge vs. The Undertaker. Believe it or not, I can actually see them putting this last on the show, seeing as RAW's main event is most likely going to be really crappy. It seems that in recent years, though, the WWE has just thrown caution to the wind, and had the WWE Championship match close the show for no apparent reason. This year might be different for a few reasons, though:

* The Undertaker is one reason. The man had an allegedly great match with Batista last year, and surprised everyone, probably including management. They might remember it and give Taker the big shot because:

* John Cena is gone. If he were still around, he'd be headlining every PPV, and SmackDown! probably wouldn't even get a thought. With Cena gone, SmackDown! at least has a shot.

* The Royal Rumble is the last reason I can think of. The WWE realises how special this event is, but this year they have the No Way Out Elimination Chamber coming in. They might have the Rumble winner headline just to remind people that it's special. Besides, it will probably be Taker who wins the Rumble, which will be the first repeat win since Austin in 2001. I can see the WWE making a big deal out of it.

Noid, I love you, but shit, The ECW headlining a PPV? That shit barely was the main event at their own PPVs. That shit would never be close!

They need a huge name in the PPV, so it will either be HHH or Taker. Whomever they decide is bigger at the time (See HHH, always HHH) and thats your answer. '

Now, if this was Taker's last match, with Edge ending his streak, it is easily last match. Hell, if the streak ends period it goes o nlast.

That is how you seal a PPV.

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Noid, I love you, but shit, The ECW headlining a PPV? That shit barely was the main event at their own PPVs. That shit would never be close!

They need a huge name in the PPV, so it will either be HHH or Taker. Whomever they decide is bigger at the time (See HHH, always HHH) and thats your answer. '

Now, if this was Taker's last match, with Edge ending his streak, it is easily last match. Hell, if the streak ends period it goes o nlast.

That is how you seal a PPV.

I get what you're saying about ECW, and I was pushing it a little, but I'm sure that the ECW Championship would at least be considered a World Championship if Chris Benoit had done the thing he was meant to with guys like CM Punk, John Morrison and Elijah Burke. I really do believe that there were some plans for credibility for the belt.

GD
12-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Shelton vs Punk can seriously be a part of 3 main events at Mania. I don't see Taker losing his Mania streak and if he does...it has to be edge. When is Bobby Franklin Lashley coming back?

Hanso Amore
12-26-2007, 04:32 AM
I get what you're saying about ECW, and I was pushing it a little, but I'm sure that the ECW Championship would at least be considered a World Championship if Chris Benoit had done the thing he was meant to with guys like CM Punk, John Morrison and Elijah Burke. I really do believe that there were some plans for credibility for the belt.

Your probably right, but they would have fucked it up somehow, they used Benoit properly all of 9 months total he was in the WWE.

Probably why he snapped.

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Shelton vs Punk can seriously be a part of 3 main events at Mania. I don't see Taker losing his Mania streak and if he does...it has to be edge. When is Bobby Franklin Lashley coming back?

CM Punk vs. Chavo Guerrero doesn't scream "main event feud," but it should lead to good matches, with might "heat-up" Punk a bit in time for the match. Also have Punk defeat Big Daddy V and Mark Henry cleanly in ECW Title matches. Let Shelton have an impressive run in the Royal Rumble, and maybe even stick the US Title on him in early 2008 (MVP could be moved up really soon), and you could have a really solid match that should definitely add something to the WrestleMania card.

I'm trying to decide which result they should go with at WrestleMania, assuming the plan is for Punk vs. Shelton. Personally, as much as this seems like an anti-climax, I'd let them go to a 20-minute draw, or something. It kind of makes it look like a "OK, we don't have time for you anymore," but as CM Punk seems to think, the belt getting the shaft is probably the closest thing it has to a real ECW thing about it. It's really got an uphill fight in the WWE environment, and having an angle where the fans are screwed out of an ECW Title decision because of time constraints would do a lot for its atmosphere. You have Shelton and Punk want to go five more minutes, but Armando Estrada hurries them to the back, and they are both pissed off. This can lead to an Iron Man Match, if not at a PPV, then on an edition of Sci-Fi one week.

There is next to no one after Shelton, so they should really stretch out his feud with Punk, and I think if they did it effectively, it could go the whole summer. Have it come down to a Ladder Match at Summerslam, or something, which I know both guys can work. Fuck, even put them in a Hell in a Cell for something unpredictable.

Hanso Amore
12-26-2007, 08:40 AM
If they booked it right, Shelton could be a believable Mr. Money in the bank this year.

Xero
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Then they'd blow it on the ECW title.

And he'd lose.

Theo Dious
12-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Personally, I think the WWE Championship match should have closed Armageddon this year, to make Jericho's return look more important, but yeah.

Given the way those 2 matches finished, I have to disagree. The WHC switch was a much stronger end.

Kane Knight
12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Given the way those 2 matches finished, I have to disagree. The WHC switch was a much stronger end.

Given that Jericho's already back down to the midcard and Edge isn't, I'd have to agree, though by kind of a narrow margin.

Jericho should have more fanfare than he's got, but he's not going to, so....

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2007, 02:53 PM

I get what you're saying, and I do somewhat agree with the disqualification ending, but being in the mid-card did make Jericho look bush league, in my opinion.

Edge winning the World Title was a bigger moment, but it was a heel moment, I don't think it should necessarily close. It might have pissed a few fans off, too.

What really would have been good was a strong ECW Title match, but we've been there.

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Given that Jericho's already back down to the midcard and Edge isn't, I'd have to agree, though by kind of a narrow margin.

Jericho should have more fanfare than he's got, but he's not going to, so....

Hindsight is a great thing. ;)

Mr. Nerfect
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Now if only we could go back and give Chris Benoit's WrestleMania XX push to someone else.

Kane Knight
12-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Hindsight is a great thing. ;)

Yes, it would be hindsight, if I were someone who wasn't calling it lackluster as it was happening, too. :)

That's kinda like saying "Hindsight is 20/20" to Al Gore now that Global Warming has caught on as something remotely acceptable.

Mr. Nerfect
12-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, it would be hindsight, if I were someone who wasn't calling it lackluster as it was happening, too. :)

That's kinda like saying "Hindsight is 20/20" to Al Gore now that Global Warming has caught on as something remotely acceptable.

I'm just saying that at the time it happened, you seem to agree that Chris Jericho and Orton headlining was the right decision, but based on the aftermath and the WWE's intentions to use Edge and not Jericho, it kind of changes things.