PDA

View Full Version : Yessss! SmackDown! might be in for some Black Magic

Noid
12-27-2007, 04:33 AM
source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Both Rey Mysterio and MVP are pushing WWE officials to sign former WCW wrestler Norman Smiley to a contract, either as a wrestler or an agent.

Smiley, 41, has worked a number of dark matches for WWE over the past few years, but has never landed a WWE deal. Smiley worked a dark match with Vladimir Kozlov a few weeks ago. The match went well and Smiley received a huge pop from the audience when he made his entrance.

Smiley helped train MVP as a wrestler when he was starting out a few years ago. And of course, Mysterio knows Smiley from their time together in WCW and Mexico.

Noid
12-27-2007, 04:35 AM
I haven't seen too much of the guy, but if I recall, he's very charismatic, plus a solid hand in the ring. I would not be opposed to seeing "The Big Wiggle" in the WWE at some point.

darkpower
12-27-2007, 04:36 AM
That would be pretty interesting. Smiley has some decent mic skills. Not sure about his in ring capability anymore since I haven't seen him wrestle in a LONG time, but he would be a good fit for SmackDown. They need to give TPWW more reasons to actually watch.

Noid
12-27-2007, 04:38 AM
I didn't know the guy was British until I did some research. A feud against a serious British wrestler like Dave Taylor would be a great way to introduce the guy.

Skippord
12-27-2007, 04:44 AM
NORMAN CONQUEST :love:

What Would Kevin Do?
12-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Never liked him, probably never will.

darkpower
12-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Wasn't he known as "Smiling Norman Smiley" in WCW at one point, too?

Ben Rodrigues
12-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Screamin' Norman Smiley

Theo Dious
12-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Wasn't he known as "Guy Smiley" on Sesame Street at one point, too?

:shifty:

Tommy Gunn
12-27-2007, 07:25 AM
The hardcore match he had in WCW was hilarious when he screamed everytime someone hit him. Bring back the big wiggle!

.44 Magdalene
12-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I just came.

Jordan X
12-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I didn't know the guy was British until I did some research. A feud against a serious British wrestler like Dave Taylor would be a great way to introduce the guy.

Why would he feud with another British wrestler? That really makes no sense. I guess its along the lines of thinking black wrestler should be in teams together and will always have great matches with each other. :roll:

thedamndest
12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I would imagine that's why Kobe and Shaq played so well together.

thedamndest
12-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about a Papa Shango return. I am not sure if I am disappointed or not.

BigDaddyCool
12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Will they let him be the hardcore champion?

Noid
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Why would he feud with another British wrestler? That really makes no sense. I guess its along the lines of thinking black wrestler should be in teams together and will always have great matches with each other. :roll:

I just want to see your archetypal heel feud with a less serious wrestler from the same region. But no, I must be racist. :roll:

Seriously, you might as well say that any program Norman would be involved with would not make sense. "Why would be feud with a Mexican wrestler? That really makes no sense."

DarKCentaur
12-27-2007, 05:03 PM
The hardcore match he had in WCW was hilarious when he screamed everytime someone hit him. Bring back the big wiggle!

I loved when he was Hardcore Champ, he would come to the ring in full football gear :lol:

TerranRich
12-27-2007, 05:04 PM
NORMAN FUCKING SMILEY!!!!

I am a huge Norman Smiley mark. I'm surprised WWE hasn't picked him up yet!

James Steele
12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I just want to see your archetypal heel feud with a less serious wrestler from the same region. But no, I must be racist. :roll:

Seriously, you might as well say that any program Norman would be involved with would not make sense. "Why would be feud with a Mexican wrestler? That really makes no sense."

After all, they let John Cena wrestle white people.

Rammsteinmad
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Part of me is thinking :nono: whilst part of me is thinking :D

I dunno what to think!!!

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
...Smiley worked a dark match with Vladimir Kozlov a few weeks ago...

I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E!

Seriously, whatever happened to him?

As for Smiley, last I saw him he was in TNA tagging with Shark Boy, and I wasn't particularly impressed.

Fox
12-27-2007, 09:49 PM
If you weren't around for Norman's run in WCW between 98 and 00, you don't know the greatness that is the Big Wiggle and the Screamin' One.

TerranRich
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I was around, and I fell in love with the man... in a totally non-gay-stalker way. The original plain "Big Wiggle" Norman Smiley was gold enough... but when he was made Hardcore Champion and donned the football gear... PRICELESS SHIT.

I would watch WWE full-time again if Norman were hired and put on the roster. Even as a mid-carder, it'd be worth suffering through 2 hours just to find his matches.

Fox
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not quite sure where he would fit in though. Jobbing it up on Smackdown, I guess. His character might fit someplace like ECW.

Noid
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E!

Seriously, whatever happened to him?

As for Smiley, last I saw him he was in TNA tagging with Shark Boy, and I wasn't particularly impressed.

At a meeting, several people said that Vladimir Kozlov was not ready to be called up, and Vince McMahon reportedly responded with something like "then why the fuck are we doing this?" He was sent back down to developmental, and this also led to the (thankful) cancellation of the incoming super push of Dan Rodman, who was going to be Stephanie McMahon's pet project, but apparently Vince scared her off.