PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld vs. The Office

Tb1
12-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Now I understand they're both almost completely different, but the line must be drawn here. This far, and no further!

Everyday now, I get in these tedious never-ending arguments with my friend over which is better. I can't stand another day. So I'm turning to the TPWW Alumni for a little assistance.

HELP

Skippord
12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Seinfeld, mostly because The Office sucks

weather vane
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
The Office is unreal but come on.

ron the dial
12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
how you gonna rip it like this son?

Fignuts
12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
I have never had a good laugh at the office. It makes me chuckle quite often, but never the uprorious laughter I got from seinfeld.

MVP
12-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I love The Office, but Seinfeld is an all-time great.

You are talking about the US version right? Cause the UK version sucks.

Blitz
12-30-2007, 01:37 AM
I love The Office, but Seinfeld is an all-time great.

You are talking about the US version right? Cause the UK version <s>sucks</s> is the greatest show in the history of TV.

ron the dial
12-30-2007, 01:39 AM
gervais is the only thing on the uk version that i find as entertaining (if not more so) than what's on the american version.

PapaGeorgio
12-30-2007, 02:00 AM
UK version was to short to go over Seinfeld and all it's greatness. US Office is to early into the show to tell right now. In conclusion, I pick The Larry Sanders Show.

Tb1
12-30-2007, 06:43 AM
I have never had a good laugh at the office. It makes me chuckle quite often, but never the uprorious laughter I got from seinfeld.

Fox
12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
It's hard for me to judge them in the same category. I know they're both technically "sit-coms," but The Office is so different than any other TV show with the "realistic" feel that they give to it. Seinfeld is clearly a sit-com, laugh track and all.

I agree that its too early to tell. I can't see The Office doing Nine Seasons of pure awesomeness the way Seinfeld did, but who knows.

Judging Office Seasons 1-3 against Seinfeld Seasons 1-3, I'd have to give Office the slight nudge. Michael Scott > George Costanza, Jim Halpert > Jerry, and Dwight Shrute > Kramer gives them the unanimous decision for me.

RBM
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
The Office. Seinfeld was great, but the Office is something I personally try not missing new episodes which I usually dont do with comedies.

Dwight Shrute is god. I live right near Scranton and love hearing all the little northeastern Pennsylvania references. Crystal Club cola is awesome.

Not to mention all the DVD extras they pack into the boxsets. They have enough unused material for each episode that is just as good as what they chose to show that they could easily have made this show an hour long each ep if they wanted to.

el fregadero
12-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Seinfeld for now, but it's really tough as The Office is a laugh riot. If it keeps it up though, I can definitely see myself giving it the nudge. I also agree with the ridiculous amount of top quality deleted scenes on the DVDs, which are typically funnier than any other current show on tv.

And for the record, George Costanza is not "<" Michael Scott, as he is the greatest character in the history of situational comedy.

CSL
12-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Office (UK) >>>>>> Seinfeld > Office (US)

Kris P Lettus
12-30-2007, 02:24 PM
The Office. Seinfeld was great, but the Office is something I personally try not missing new episodes which I usually dont do with comedies.

Dwight Shrute is god. I live right near Scranton and love hearing all the little northeastern Pennsylvania references. Crystal Club cola is awesome.

Not to mention all the DVD extras they pack into the boxsets. They have enough unused material for each episode that is just as good as what they chose to show that they could easily have made this show an hour long each ep if they wanted to.

Everything he said other than the fact I don't live near Scranton..

The Office is my favorite primetime sitcom ever.. Better the All in the Family, Simpsons, My Two Dads, Married With Children, Head of the Class, Fresh Prince, Seinfield , whatever..

Best sitcom ever..

D Mac
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Nothing will ever be better then Seinfeld. Nothing.

Kris P Lettus
12-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Except alot of things..

D Mac
12-30-2007, 04:21 PM
No :mad:

D Mac
12-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Although Tina Fey is like fucking fine. :drool:

Rob
12-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Seinfeld is fucking leagues above both versions of The Office.

Zen v.W.o.
01-06-2008, 03:10 AM
The only thing that compares to seinfeld is curb, and it's no coincidence as to why.

Fox
01-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I've found Curb to be rather hit or miss. That and I have to be in a certain mood to want to watch and enjoy it. Seinfeld and Office are always good for a run.

Jon Kano
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Cause the UK version sucks.

You are such a fuckin moron. Not to mention flat-out wrong.

Americans just can't get the humour, they tried to mimmick it, but they couldn't get it, which meant they couldn't write or act it, so out came this churned up piece of shit which your all really proud of while the rest of the world laughs at you for it NOW THATS WHAT I CALL COMEDY

Kris P Lettus
01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
K3

Fox
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
You are such a fuckin moron. Not to mention flat-out wrong.

Americans just can't get the humour, they tried to mimmick it, but they couldn't get it, which meant they couldn't write or act it, so out came this churned up piece of shit which your all really proud of while the rest of the world laughs at you for it NOW THATS WHAT I CALL COMEDY

Okay, it's his opinion that the UK Office sucks. That does not make him a "fuckin moron."

And although I agree with you that Ricky Gervais and that both seasons of UK Office are excellent, they are vastly overrated by most people and Brits in general. Look, it's great that something funny has come out of the UK that ISN'T Monty Python, and yes, the show is hilarious, but it's still just a TV show and it's not even flawless.

The American Office is equally funny as the UK version, and is far, far more endearing and is actually able to stir up emotions in its viewers other than laughter. The characters in the U.S. version like the temp Ryan Howard, Jan Levinson, Creed Bratton, and even Kelly are interesting characters and ones that the UK version never explored to the extent that this version has. There are far more levels of depth to the American version than there is to the UK version.

Pinnacle Charisma
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I used to be one of those who first watched the uk version of the office but then watched a couple of eps of the us version and thought the uk was miles better.

But after watching more of the us i have to say that that they are about equal. The uk was brillant and the us is funny in its own way too.

The major difference between both shows is the uks "tim" character Martin Freeman is far better than John Krasinski pitful character

Jon Kano
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Okay, it's his opinion that the UK Office sucks. That does not make him a "fuckin moron."

Well if its his opinion blah blah blah and his opinion is his opinion so thats that then in that case, it is my humble and non-shifting opinion that whoever says the US version is better than the UK version, then they are, in my opinion, indeed a FUCKIN MORON. End of.

And I can assure you, there are millions of others who would agree with what I just said.

Kris P Lettus
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
To be fair, there'd be millions to disagree also, Kano..

K2

Jon Kano
01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmmmmm I don't think so fuckhead. So how is the bloated penguin? still crashing her shitmobile into passing cars? one can only hope.

Stickman
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Seinfeld, there's no debate.

Jon Kano
01-08-2008, 08:23 PM
To be fair, there'd be millions to disagree also, Kano..

K2

Millions? fuck off you fuckin idiot.

To be fair, I am fuckin outraged and disgusted at the fact that they will both be compared to each other. The Office US is something I really hate America for. Granted its just a TV show, but in some alternate Jon Kano ruled reality, your country would be burning right now.

Pinnacle Charisma
01-09-2008, 12:54 AM
This is realy shit i am sick of these uk vs us office debates. They are both really great shows and more importantily they are very different too. Apart from the tim/dawn, jim/pam relationship and some minor simmilairties between the brent/scott role they are two different beasts. Take off your rose coloured glasses and enjoy both shows for what they are two really well written funny shows.

NeanderCarl
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
The American Office is equally funny as the UK version, and is far, far more endearing and is actually able to stir up emotions in its viewers other than laughter. The characters in the U.S. version like the temp Ryan Howard, Jan Levinson, Creed Bratton, and even Kelly are interesting characters and ones that the UK version never explored to the extent that this version has. There are far more levels of depth to the American version than there is to the UK version.

Firstly, it is based on the same scripts and characters. The US version offers nothing the UK version didn't. The reason some of the lesser characters are explored further is simply because with the length of US TV seasons, they probably used up all the British scripts in season one. Also, the UK version nailed the joke spot on within 14 episodes. They came, they made their brilliantly observed point, and the writers moved on to a new topic.

Dragging TV shows years past their sell-by-dates and squeezing every little last drop of marketability out of them isn't something British TV tends to share with the US.

For example, Life On Mars. Possibly the best British drama show since the turn of the century. Two seasons of 8 episodes each, came in like a lion, went out still in its prime, forever remembered as a great show. On the other side of the pond, you have 24... for the last couple of years, each season progressively worse than the last. Even though I still enjoy it, and Jack Bauer is one of US TV's greatest characters ever, it will continue, and continue, and continye until it becomes a stale shadow of it's former glory, or worse, a lame parody of itself. Same goes for the likes of Lost.

NeanderCarl
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
For the record.... Seinfeld > UK Office > US Office

Heros Welcome
02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
SEINFELD in a landslide

Avenger
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Seinfeld is the best thing ever.

Kris P Lettus
02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Firstly, it is based on the same scripts and characters. The US version offers nothing the UK version didn't. The reason some of the lesser characters are explored further is simply because with the length of US TV seasons, they probably used up all the British scripts in season one. Also, the UK version nailed the joke spot on within 14 episodes. They came, they made their brilliantly observed point, and the writers moved on to a new topic.

Firstly, the pilot is the ONLY script that was shared by both shows.. From the second episode on they share some of the same storylines but that is only because they are based on the same characters which were setup to play out certain storylines.. Jim vs Dwight/Tim vs Gareth, love intrests etc..

You'd prolly know that had you actually watched both show before forming an opinion blindly..

Anyway, you see more of the "lesser characters" on the US Office because three of them are writers on the show..

Mindy Kaling - Kelly Kapoor
BJ Novak - Ryan "The Temp" Howard
Paul Lieberstein - Toby Flenderson

Not hard guys, Brits are gonna like their Office better while Americans are gonna like ours better.. Doesn't mean the other is bad, by any means..

p.s. what do you mean they moved on?? Nailed what joke?? I don't understand..

RBM
02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
A portion of an interview with Ricky Gervais.

Are you pleased with the way the American version of The Office has evolved into its own show?

It's my favorite sitcom. You try to make shows that you want to watch. I did with The Office, I'm doing it now with Extras. It's the show you wish someone else had made, but I had to make it. With the American Office, it's the best of both worlds because someone else made it, and it's just how I wanted it. So it's a joy. It's exactly how I'd want something, but I didn't have to make it. I can say this because I genuinely regard the American Office as someone else's work. It's audacious, it's wickedly funny. The cast are amazing. Steve Carell is just going to take over the world. I salute all those involved and NBC for not panicking. I'm so glad they stuck to their guns. It was uncompromising, and it got better and better. And the more they went their own way, the better it got. So I can't praise them enough. But I get the money. Well, I get what's left. I say, ''Just give me what you can.''

The Gold Standard
02-17-2008, 03:04 PM
This is a no contest. Seinfeld is one of the greatest shows ever on TV.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
You'd prolly know that had you actually watched both show before forming an opinion blindly..

Not hard guys, Brits are gonna like their Office better while Americans are gonna like ours better.. Doesn't mean the other is bad, by any means..

p.s. what do you mean they moved on?? Nailed what joke?? I don't understand..

I have watched both. I think I've seen every episode of both versions.

I didn't say US Office was bad.

They made their point and moved onto other projects, rather than milk the Office dry. Rather than dilute it, they ended it on a high. The US version will probably drag on for years, never really doing anything new or evolving.

IC Champion
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Only a Brit would say something so stupid, yes the UK Office is gold, but to say the US Office isnt as good, and that it drags on is rediculous, and makes me beleive you really didnt want much of the US office.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Only a Brit would say something so stupid, yes the UK Office is gold, but to say the US Office isnt as good, and that it drags on is rediculous, and makes me beleive you really didnt want much of the US office.

I didn't say it drags on, I said that it will drag on, just like every other US show with any popularity.

Xero
02-17-2008, 09:06 PM
The Office is terrible. Seinfeld is decent.

That is all.

Kris P Lettus
02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I have watched both. I think I've seen every episode of both versions.

Then why did you say this??

Firstly, it is based on the same scripts and characters. The US version offers nothing the UK version didn't.

Cause if you'd really seen the US version, there's no way you'd think it was off the same scripts and you'd also def not say that it hasn't brought anything new..

They made their point and moved onto other projects, rather than milk the Office dry. Rather than dilute it, they ended it on a high. The US version will probably drag on for years, never really doing anything new or evolving.
Statements like this are what lead me to believe that you've never really watched it.. There has been so much character development and storyline depth in the three and a half season I am fiending right now for the new episodes.. I own the first three seasons and have watched them prolly 10 times a piece.. Will prolly watch them 10 more times a piece before season 5 starts..

You have no idea what you are talking about..

NeanderCarl
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh come on, when there are probably 4 times as many US episodes in the can than there are UK ones, of course there will be original material conjured up by the writers. I'm not saying there is no new material, simply that it offers nothing different to any UK viewer who has seen the original series, therefore it offers me (and them) nothing particularly fresh or new. It doesn't offer an alternative viewing experience, just more of the same only not as funny.

What part of the future tense do you not understand? I did not state that the US Office has dragged on for too long; rather that, like most all US shows, it is most likely to. You cannot cite the current quality of the show as an argument to counter the statement that the show will fade away to a shell of its former self.

I happened to find Friends one of the most enjoyable shows I had ever seen during it's early years but by the last season I had had enough already. Like 90% of US TV shows, it was overextended to its bitter, tired end.

Typical Yank arrogance to believe that you can take one of the greatest comedy shows ever made and somehow improve upon it. Even more arrogant, upon failing to do so, to claim that you have.

IC Champion
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
The Office is terrible. Seinfeld is decent.

That is all.

Who asked you, poindexter?

Xero
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Tuberculosis1.

ron the dial
02-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Typical Yank arrogance to believe that you can take one of the greatest comedy shows ever made and somehow improve upon it. Even more arrogant, upon failing to do so, to claim that you have.
lol

MVP
02-18-2008, 05:15 PM
ROFL at Kano flipping out

Kris P Lettus
02-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Ricky Gervais gave the show to them and as quoted above loves it.. I don't get how and why you are "hating" on the US Office in future tense..

I don't see your point cause I don't think you have one..

MVP
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
You know, I'll take back saying the UK version of The Office sucks because that was a jerk thing to say, but I don't find it funny. I don't find most British humor funny at all. Not arrogance, just cultural differences.

Fox
02-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh come on, when there are probably 4 times as many US episodes in the can than there are UK ones, of course there will be original material conjured up by the writers. I'm not saying there is no new material, simply that it offers nothing different to any UK viewer who has seen the original series, therefore it offers me (and them) nothing particularly fresh or new. It doesn't offer an alternative viewing experience, just more of the same only not as funny.

What part of the future tense do you not understand? I did not state that the US Office has dragged on for too long; rather that, like most all US shows, it is most likely to. You cannot cite the current quality of the show as an argument to counter the statement that the show will fade away to a shell of its former self.

I happened to find Friends one of the most enjoyable shows I had ever seen during it's early years but by the last season I had had enough already. Like 90% of US TV shows, it was overextended to its bitter, tired end.

The Office is only in its fourth season right now. Your comments that it is going to "fade away to a shell of it's former self" has absolutely no backing to it whatsoever. So what if other US shows have gone this route? That doesn't mean that the writers and producers of The Office don't have a set plan for how much longer the show will go and what kind of storylines they're planning on playing out.

Even a great show like Scrubs lost some flavor in season 4, but from the episodes of The Office Ssn.4 that I've seen so far, they're only getting better. The turning of the tables with Ryan Howard as Michael Scott's boss is priceless comedy.

You can say that Gervais told the story he wanted to with The Office UK, and that's all fine and great, and no one's saying he didn't. But BJ Novak, Mindy Kaling, Paul Lieberstein, and Steve Carrell, along with the rest of the crew's writers, have created a NEW AND DIFFERENT show than the UK Office.

But as previously stated, I don't think you've actually watched a lot of the american Office, and I don't believe you understand your own argument here, primarily because you don't have one.

NeanderCarl
02-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Ricky Gervais gave the show to them and as quoted above loves it.. I don't get how and why you are "hating" on the US Office in future tense..

I don't see your point cause I don't think you have one..

*sigh*

I'm not hating on the future of the Office specifically... I'm generalising the treatment of all hit US shows. There is no reason to believe that US Office won't go the same way, yet a far superior show like Arrested Development only lasts a couple of seasons.

I actually like the US Office... not as much as the UK version, but it's okay, mainly due to the performances of Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson. That dude who plays Jim must have studied Martin Freeman heavily because he plays the part almost identically to the UK version's Tim. Yet I have yet to meet a Brit who prefers it to the UK version, because it's simply just a watered down version.

ron the dial
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
or because you're all british and have a cultural bias like you're claiming that we americans have. oh no, it can't be that.

NeanderCarl
02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Not really. Most of my favourite ever shows, in the past and ongoing, have been American. It's just that US Office isn't as good as UK Office. I speak not as a Brit but as a comedy fan.

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 01:06 PM
OMG

You make me want to stab you in the face..

Jon Kano
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
America couldn't mimmick the humour the uk office is all about, mainly because A, they can't and B, they don't get it - all admissions I have seen in interviews, that programme where Ricky Gervaise met Larry David, DVD extras - And I'm not using that as an insult - its just fact, but because of those reasons, and because the UK version was something so new and awesome, it will ALWAYS be better than the US one. Always.

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
To you, yes..

That's what y'all (Brits) seem to be missing.. WE (Americans) like ours better.. You know what, humor is SUBJECTIVE, and we have more than enough right to believe so.. Just like y'all have the right to believe y'all's is better..

Good Lord, this isn't that hard..

Jon Kano
02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah and I get that, this isnt about takin shots etc, you seem to be the ones who do not get it - for us its like us trying our own hand at making friends, yet actually going lengths to claim its friends when in fact it would be/is a pile of wank. I think i'd have a less of a problem with it if they actually didn't call it the office or just ripped off the characters.

Jus cus all these people and I have the right to an opinion, doesn't mean its fact. Thats what these board are for Krispy, yinno, to discuss.

NeanderCarl
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
OMG

You make me want to stab you in the face..

Sorry. I shall adjust my opinion to match yours, lest I get stabbed in the face.

Heil Krispy.

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
The man that created it gave it to new writers and allowed them to do what they wanted with it.. The American viewing public seems to like it.. The creator is now a producer.. It was his choice.. Kinda like what Sam Rami is rumored to do with the Evil Dead remakes.. Alot of fans won't like them, but alot of fans will love it..

The thing is, the fans who fear the change prolly fancy themselves as "core" or "diehard" fans when, in this situation, is you, the Brit fan, allowed your show to stop after only 2 seasons.. The US Office will prolly run for like 10 seasons and dispite what NeanderCarl thinks or says, will prolly be awesome the whole time..

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry. I shall adjust my opinion to match yours, lest I get stabbed in the face.

Heil Krispy.

No just don't put your opinion across as fact..

NeanderCarl
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
No just don't put your opinion across as fact..

You mean, like you did?

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
O_o

The only thing I've said that could be seen as fact is that Brit fans will like their version just like US fan will like ours.. I bet that is like 99.9% true..

Jon Kano
02-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Thing is Steve Carrel is not funny at all in the show.

Kris P Lettus
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
humor is SUBJECTIVE

RBM
02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Steve Carrell is hilarious in the show. Granted, he's not quite as amazing as Rainn Wilson, but he's such a great comedian that can play this particular type of role with a high level of excellence.

Xero
02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Thing is Steve Carrel is not funny at all <s>in the show</s>.

NeanderCarl
02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I like Carrell. He plays Brent/Scott very differently, but he is good in his own way. He doesn't give Scott the "comedy monster" appeal of Brent, however. Saying that, I can't really think of anyone else who would do a better job.

NeanderCarl
02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Except Ricky Gervais of course.