PDA

View Full Version : Creative Works Forum?: "Matrix FanFix"

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Conceptual Fan-Fiction
"The Matrix Wired"
Created in 2003/04 by Jean Kalyx
Part 1 of a 4-part fanfic.

A hundred years after the legendary cease fire, free men and machine have stayed at peace. Zion has grown even larger a city and extends even beyond what used to be dangerous territory. In what is widely known as the boldest recent decision of Man, a floating city has been built above the Scorched Sky where no sentient machine can follow. The sky-city was firmly called "Heaven" and stands as the promising sister of Zion. Just entering its final construction, residents can Jack In without the bother of locating broadcast levels. Aside from that, and many other advantages; no one can deny that it serves as the ultimate platform for seeing the sky. A city counsel for Heaven was formed long before it was finished. Humans underground still go to broadcast levels and enter the Matrix for various reasons. One of these ships is the Basilisk.

The crew of the Basilisk is planning an attempt to reveal to the virtual world everything about the Machines control. This may possibly restart the war that ceased a hundred years prior, but may also free mankind from it's enslavement. Debate over the action is slowly separating Zion and Heaven in terms of ideals. Heaven supports, but Zion doesn't agree with the plan, an important factor due to the Basilisk being a Zion ship. And who knows how much freedom the machines are willing to grant within the Matrix when their power source is concerned. In the mist of this, there are renegade sentinels still at hunt for humans despite the cease fire, and many exile programs within the Matrix are still dangerously independent. The story centers around the crew of the Basilisk; Kex, Frost, Dyna, Kirb, and Digit.

The captain of the Basilisk is Kex. He's the idea of a Zion captain, if he wanted he can assume any position on his ship. His experience is most developed and he expects his crew to at least keep up. However, nobody is without weakness... He has a history of leaving a loved one behind and contacting her when he Jacks In. He harbors conflicting feelings about telling her the truth, which may automatically bring her into a dark and dangerous world always on the edge of war. Kex's idea of revealing the truth to a mass audience may be his way of overcoming his feelings. Because of this, those who know him distrust his resolve. He also has a special relationship with Digit. He feels it was his fault that she lost everything in the Matrix and took it upon himself to free her. He tries not to feed her feelings for him, but can't help but care for her. To Digit's liking, he shows his partial nature to her every once and a while. To her disliking, he continues to hold the memory of his past love dear.

Frost is the lead gunner and co-pilot of the Basilisk. He can be a hot head in reserved moments and strangely calm and cool when times become intense. This oxymoronic personality makes him difficult in decision making but extremely tactical in action. In the Matrix, his double pistols replace kung-fu entirely and his shooting and dodging skills are a sight even after the amazing things already done in the Matrix. It's obvious that he may take command if anything were to happen to Kex; though he doesn't look forward to Kex being hurt, he'd love to be captain of his own ship one day. Such an opportunity may surface; the young city of Heaven is looking for ship captains. Frost had a past romance with Dyna, but broke off when his feelings for her made him less valuable in missions. Whether or not he completely abandoned his past feelings are yet to be seen.

Dyna is the system analyst and secondary gunner of the Basilisk. She doesn't Jack In as often as the others, but provides the necessary back up when called by Kirb in the real world or Kex in the Matrix. For a long time she was the only female of the ship and had a past romance with Frost. They separated when their feelings contradicted a mission long ago. When Digit came to the ship, Dyna became a big sister of sorts to her. She's obviously happy to have another female on the ship, and Digit does benefit from her company.

Kirb is the wise cracking Operator and pilot of the Basilisk. He isn't much for combat in or out of the Matrix, but is excellent when the rest of the crew is Jacked In. He has a habit of helping the crew with riddles and jokes, much to Frost's dislike and Dyna's enjoyment. When operating, he sees the Matrix as a chess board; his crew members and opposition alike being pieces in a game. As a pilot he's always been reliable, but tries to keep Frost from taking primary control for fear of 'reckless flying'.

Digit is a special addition to the Basilisk. In the Matrix, her parents were killed in a battle between the Basilisk crew and exile programs. When Kex observed that she actually had nowhere to go, he decided to tell her the truth and free the teenage girl. He went even farther by accepting her as a Basilisk crew member. Because of all this, the young Digit is quite taken by Kex and is deeply infatuated. Ofcourse, this results in instant hostile nature towards the attachment Kex still has for his old girlfriend in the Matrix. Digit also seems very distant at times, which makes Dyna very watchful over her. Within the Matrix, Digit's abilities are better than usual. The other crew members are confused as to how she accepted the parameters of the virtual world so easily. Her heightened ability in the Matrix makes her a secret weapon of sorts; no one would guess it from her appearance. Her strange abilities in the Matrix are cause for question, but at the moment cannot be touched upon.

Inside the Matrix there are still dangers despite the cease fire. Agents and renegade programs are still online and hostile. The biggest danger, despite the supposed cease fire, is Agent Shinoda. Agent Shinoda is a very dangerous Agent and as yet to run into the Basilisk crew, though he's very interested in doing so. Like a former Agent of legend, he seems to take his job personal, if such a state of being is possible for a program. He enjoys the fact that he is an emotionless program created to hunt and kill. He enjoys it so much it contradicts the fact that he's emotionless.

Not all exile programs are dangerous. Some have less aggressive agendas. One such is the Time Keeper. The Time Keeper is the former internal clock of the Matrix. For reasons known only to him, he was replaced by another clock program. Instead of going to the source for deletion, he turned exile out of disagreement for his deletion. He has a special ability of knowing when something is on time or not. It's rather prophetic, but not in a future telling sense. Almost obsessively, he checks his watch time and time again. The actual watch has neither a minute hand nor an hour hand; they're in a code he alone recognizes. He also has a personal favor for those who are curious. He loves receiving questions, but seldom answers them. His role in this situation is yet to be revealed.

Will the Basilisk go through with their plan? Are the Machines planning a deadly new campaign against Zion? After a hundred years, is the war truly over? And if it isn't, is it still worth dying for..? The Matrix Wired.

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Mock Trailer
"The Matrix Overdrive" Trailer
Jean Kalyx - 2004
(I wrote a mock trailer for another idea and my friend thought it was pretty funny, so I gave my second Matrix fic the mock-trailer treatment. It does have story points, though.)

Pitch black. The classic Matrix code scrolls down the screen. It starts losing clarity like a bad cable connection. Then it shuts off entirely.

Kex(Voice Over): "...This could be the end of everything we've fought for..."

WB Pictures in association with Village Roadshow Pictures and Kalyx Studios present..:

The sky-city, Heaven, appears. The Basilisk flies toward it. Kex is shown leading Digit to the Zion Counsel.

Kex: "I'm here to present Digit to the counsel..."

Hundreds of attendees eye her.

Kex: "...I think she's the One of Prophecy."

Scenes of Digit hopping and wall running across buildings fade in and out. One of the counsel members eyes Kex.

Old Man: "If she is the One she must be subject to review..."

Heaven officers take hold of Digit as Kex is held back. Orchestra music begins.

Old Man: "...And she must not return to the Matrix."

Fade to black, music ceases. Fade in on Kex and Kirb viewing the Matrix in the Basilisk.

Kirb: "I don't know how..."

Scenes of Digit sneaking past Heaven officers and Jacking herself in the Matrix cut about.

Kirb: "...but she's back in there."

Fade in to Digit holding her hand up against cops. Dark themed orchestra music plays.

Kex: "She's much too powerful to contain in the Matrix."

Cut to Digit dodging bullets in slow motion.

Kex: "The machines are taking this offensively."

Cut to Sentinels passing by the docks of Zion, and advance APU mechs gathering at the gates.

Kex: "And she could crash the system."

Cut to Digit dodging bullets until she disappears entirely. Fade to Kex taking a seat by Kirb in the Basilisk cockpit.

Kex: "I'm gonna hate today."

A techno beat begins; it's blended with a strong symphony. Scenes of Digit fighting multiple SWAT members cut in and out. Then of Frost with two pistols shooting it out with Agent Shinoda in a parking garage. The scene shows lots of car windows shattering and tires blowing out in slow motion. Cut to Kex fighting a man in a warehouse. Cut to the Time Keeper fighting multiple agents and checking his watch. Fade to Dyna kissing Frost in a flower garden on a sunny day. Fade to Kex and the man in the warehouse leaping toward each other in slow motion with metallic weapons in hand, cut to the Time Keeper right before they connect.

Time Keeper: "The time to act is very near."

Cut to Digit fighting Agent Shinoda. Digit is seen using the Ghost Twins anti-matter ability to dodge Agent Shinoda's strikes. Techno/symphony music picks up.

Time Keeper: "She may be the end of everything..."

Fade to Digit facing a platoon of police units headed her way.

Time Keeper: "Only you can stop her."

Fade to Digit walking in a dreamy state on the edge of a rooftop while Kex looks on. Digit looks at Kex lovingly. Cut to Kex and the Time Keeper in a restaurant. Music stops.

Kex: "How?"

Cut to Digit spearing Agent Shinoda through a wall ten stories up a building in bullet time. Classic Matrix note plays during this. Flash of light cuts to pitch black (Matrix trailer tradition). Fade in on the Time Keeper.

Time Keeper: "Well from what we've seen, definitely not by force."

Cut to Digit hugging Kex, while the camera slowly pulls out to reveal a trail of destruction as far as the eye can see. (Reference last scene in Resident Evil)

Digit(Voice Over the scene): "I missed you."

Cut to Matrix code revealing: "The Matrix Overdrive".

The code moves on: "Coming Soon".

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Female One = Lame.

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Die.

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Female One = Lame.

A teenage chick as the One ain't cool to you? Where are you from?

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Some place with standards?

Also, fanfic doesn't count as "creative works."

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Some place with standards?

Also, fanfic doesn't count as "creative works."

Yes they do.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
It's about the same as making Link a chick.

Or Spiderwoman of any variety.

Or really, taking any decidedly male fictional character that could plausibly pass as a female in some warped, contorted play on an unspecific aspect of the canon and abusing the open note to give him tits and a vagina. Then again, this is fanfiction, so I guess it's par for the course.

You're basically taking an established canon and saying LOL I DREW BOOBIES ON IT.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Furthermore, fanfic counts as "creative works" in the sense that I count as an "engineer" (hint for the slow: I'm a licensed security guard currently working at a convenience store). It's not creative, and the work involved is minimal--you type, you make up some names that are cliche by default, and you call it a day. Post it on fanfiction.net and let the hoorays roll in. Congratulations, you're a writer. I guess.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
The Hero of Hyrule is born female.

Batman takes a female Robin.

Indiana Jones has a daughter that does roughly the same shit he does.

Sub-Zero finds out there's a female member of his clan alive.

A chick gets the Green Lantern ring (or however that shit works).

A female survived Krypton blowing up.

A female turtle was transformed by the ooze.

Kudos if you can figure out which two examples of the DRAWING BOOBIES ON IT principle actually happened in some legitimate sense.

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree with you on Frost and Mona Lisa (I'm ashamed to know those names without even looking them up). But Kara Zor-El and the Spoiler are f'n cool. Its all in how you write it.

No rule in the Matrix universe states that the systemic anomaly must be male, only that the first six were. Don't make me geek-out on you.

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes they do.

No.

Critic covered why, so I'm not going to repeat it. Though apparently, if I just copied his statement with some superficial changes to it, I could count it as my own.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah. Just draw some boobs on what I said, and you're good to go.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Anyway, Kalyx, the point went right over your head. ...Also, it was Venus De Milo.

No, the system doesn't define Neo as male.

No, Batman doesn't have an unwritten rule about female Robins.

No, the legend doesn't say the Hero of Hyrule will be a dude.

The fact remains that you're taking a concept that's already cut, dry, and accounted for, and giving it a vagina like that somehow "fixes" it. Making Male Character A into Female Character B doesn't make it better by default. It's that same stupid CUTTING EDGE REVISIONIZING that made the Xtreme Ghostbusters so fucking weak: they were the ghostbusters, but FEMALE! AND A MINORITY! AND CRIPPLED! HOLY SHIT, SMELL THE AWESOME.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Or the New Ghostbusters, or the Ghostbusteratics, or whatever the fuck they were called.

Nowhere Man
01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't disagree with any particular point you're making, but I'd at least like to point out that there are already a shit-load of female Green Lanterns. Matter of fact, only two of the things on your list (the Indiana Jones and Hyrule ones) didn't happen.

Anyway, while I'm guilty of writing the occasional fanfic of my own, I don't presume it to be anything more than what it is: taking someone else's idea that I really liked, and re-writing it with my own tweaks. While it can be fun when done well, it's about as much of a 'creative work' as a cover band.

.44 Magdalene
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah, the Green Lantern one was a bad example, since there's all sorts of alien Green Lanterns and shit. Really, I didn't realize half of my intentionally bad examples actually existed until afterward, which I guess goes to show just how shitty ideas can get sometimes.

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah. Just draw some boobs on what I said, and you're good to go.

Sweet. I'm good at adding tits to things!

Anyway, Kalyx, the point went right over your head. ...Also, it was Venus De Milo.

No, the system doesn't define Neo as male.

No, Batman doesn't have an unwritten rule about female Robins.

No, the legend doesn't say the Hero of Hyrule will be a dude.

The fact remains that you're taking a concept that's already cut, dry, and accounted for, and giving it a vagina like that somehow "fixes" it. Making Male Character A into Female Character B doesn't make it better by default. It's that same stupid CUTTING EDGE REVISIONIZING that made the Xtreme Ghostbusters so fucking weak: they were the ghostbusters, but FEMALE! AND A MINORITY! AND CRIPPLED! HOLY SHIT, SMELL THE AWESOME.

I really do hate that. HEY LOOK! WE'RE ETHNICALLY DIVERSE FOR THE SAKE OF BEING ETHNICALLY DIVERSE! That was annoying.

But yeah, adding tits to an idea doesn't make it fresh. Nor does making the main character black instead of white, or any other superficial idea. You can give a character a sex change, but if they're otherwise the same, it begs the question: What's the point?

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't disagree with any particular point you're making, but I'd at least like to point out that there are already a shit-load of female Green Lanterns. Matter of fact, only two of the things on your list (the Indiana Jones and Hyrule ones) didn't happen.

True story: The Indiana Jones one was actually tossed around. I don't think it went anywhere, but I remember reading about it and being reminded of the story of Sherlock Holmes' daughter. Also, Young MacGyver.