PDA

View Full Version : This is interesting....

Jeritron
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
The World Wrestling Entertainment website has officially announced another match for this month’s WWE Royal Rumble PPV. The Nature Boy Ric Flair will be taking on United States Champion MVP at the Royal Rumble in a "Career Threatening Match".

Does this mean both men aren't in the actual rumble?

:wtf: Interesting...discuss.

Xero
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Just because they're in a match doesn't mean they're not in the Rumble.

Since it isn't for the US title (which is should be) it makes Flair winning clean pretty obvious.

Anybody Thrilla
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I guess this could be worse.

Jeritron
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Just because they're in a match doesn't mean they're not in the Rumble.

Since it isn't for the US title (which is should be) it makes Flair winning clean pretty obvious.

Yea, thats what it was like in previous years. Everyone on the card would be in the rumble. But in recent years and since brand extension, being on the card in another match means not being in the rumble.
I could be wrong, but can you name anyone whos had a match at the rumble and entered into the rumble in the past 2 or 3 years?

ANd I highly doubt Flair is winning this clean. I'd like to see him pick up some clean wins in this whole storyline, but I don't know if MVP is the one for him to do it against.

Londoner
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I dont rememebr wrestlers bein on the card lately not being in the rumble, its the same as it always has been as far as i know. jericho/jbl will be in it, and i cant see mvp not being in it.

Anybody Thrilla
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I always thought the only people on the card not in the Rumble match were the champions and their challengers.

FakeLaser
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Is the Rumble gonna be any good this year? I'm thinking about ordering it because I've done the Royal Rumble drinking game to all the Rumbles, 1988-1997 in the past month. I have a few more on tape (2000-2003) that I have to do still but I'm thinking of ordering this one and getting shitty.

Mr. Pierre
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
The only guys that were in undercard matches that have been in the Rumble that I can think of were HBK and Edge from 2005.

Also, I think JBL, Chris Jericho, MVP, and Flair should be in the Rumble match. Not sure about Flair, because if he doesn't win, it might go against the storyline of him retiring.

But, I think MVP should have a spot in the beginning of the match (maybe he enters at #10), and he clears the ring. He's waiting for the next entrant, and it's Matt Hardy who sprints to the ring and they go at it.

As for JBL and Jericho, I have a feeling that their match will be more like a teaser than an actual match. I think the match will be very short and end in a no contest after about 5 or 10 minutes or so. Then at Mania, they finally have a sanctioned match. So, I hope they can continue their brawl into the Rumble match itself. But, that's a long shot.

It would be nice though to have all 4 of them involved in the Rumble.

Anybody Thrilla
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Matt Hardy won't be ready to wrestle by the Rumble, will he?

Mr. Pierre
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Not sure. He mentioned on Monday that "he hopes to be ready by the Rumble". But that may have been false, since Orton beat him up later in the show, so it could have pushed back his return.

DarKCentaur
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I think they said that the Flair stipulation only applies to singles matches. Or at least I heard that somewhere. So I'm guessing the Rumble wouldn't count.

Mr. Nerfect
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Not sure. He mentioned on Monday that "he hopes to be ready by the Rumble". But that may have been false, since Orton beat him up later in the show, so it could have pushed back his return.

I think that was just kind of a "damn, he was only two days away from retirement" type thing. Matt's scheduled return has always been just in time for Mania, I believe, and this was just a way of adding heat to Orton by making it look like he "re-injured" Hardy.

FakeLaser
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
SO IS THIS WORTH ORDERING OR WHAT

SammyG
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Order it Pete. One must drink.

Mr. Pierre
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I say yes. Orton/Hardy and Rey/Edge will more than likely deliver. I'm looking forward to JBL vs. Y2J, and I think Flair vs. MVP could have a good match. And of course the Rumble is always fun. So, I'd say yes :y:

But, I may be biased since I'm going :)

Theo Dious
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Flair vs MVP?

Flair wins by countout when MVP walks out to save his title.

Kane Knight
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
It's not for the title, is it?

Mr. Pierre
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
No, I don't think it is.

FakeLaser
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Order it Pete. One must drink.
I will be drinking anyway, but I will likely heed your advice.

I say yes. Orton/Hardy and Rey/Edge will more than likely deliver. I'm looking forward to JBL vs. Y2J, and I think Flair vs. MVP could have a good match. And of course the Rumble is always fun. So, I'd say yes :y:

But, I may be biased since I'm going :)
Thanks Juan

Mr. Nerfect
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm not ordering the Rumble. Seriously, if the PPV is good, then I will ride the high right into the replay, but I do not trust the WWE to get my money without knowing for sure how things go down.

The WWE have been protecting MVP like all shit. I like that, but he's been involving in a lot of non-finishes. They didn't have the balls to put him over Rey at Armageddon, so they have him get counted out. I think they're also protecting him against guys like Batista. I doubt Flair will go over cleanly, even though the US Title isn't on the line. So you know, it might as well be. Bad booking.

Randy Orton will probably retain the WWE Championship against Jeff Hardy, which will make the build since Survivor Series pretty much worthless. I don't trust the WWE to help Jeff land on his feet.

Edge vs. Rey Mysterio could be a good match, but I can see the WWE giving them 12 minutes filled with Rated Raging Boner interference. I like Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins, for the record. It'll just be a mess, though.

Chris Jericho and JBL will not be pretty, unless they can (ironically) go ugly with the match. JBL is not capable of having a good wrestling contest. It will probably plod, even though Jericho will do his best to make it entertaining.

The Royal Rumble itself could be OK, but I've been underwhelmed by the Rumble for years. The winner is always plainfully obvious. The leading candidates this year are The Undertaker, Triple H or Batista. None of those guys winning entertains me.

The Optimist
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Plainfully? What the hell?

Anyway. At best, this match is going to end with confusion. With MVP just totally outclassing (or cheating) Ric Flair, then Flair fighting back and MVP just leaving when he realizes it will actually be tough to pin Ric Flair.

See what I mean, confusing. It's either that or Flair just goes clean over the Smackdown Midcard Champion, who they've been preening for months. Which wouldn't be pretty.

Jeritron
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Plainfully? What the hell?

Anyway. At best, this match is going to end with confusion. With MVP just totally outclassing (or cheating) Ric Flair, then Flair fighting back and MVP just leaving when he realizes it will actually be tough to pin Ric Flair.

See what I mean, confusing. It's either that or Flair just goes clean over the Smackdown Midcard Champion, who they've been preening for months. Which wouldn't be pretty.

How about a run in DQ finish? I dont' know how confusing that is.

Just ask Bret Hart. When you don't want to job cleanly at a ppv, a run in is the answer.

Tommy Gunn
01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
This is really annoying, because outside of the retirement stipulation, this would have been a great match, with MVP going over a legend and continuing his build to the top.

As has already been said, the WWE have protected MVP and have slowly but steadily pushed him the last year. It'd be a waste to job him out to Flair clean.

Fox
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I think the problem is that WWE can't portray Ric the same way that they have for say, I dunno, the past 5 years, because if they build him up as this loser who just keeps getting cheap wins, his WrestleMania match is going to mean less when he does lose. It's just going to be like "finally."

They have to make Flair look good heading up to Mania, so he needs to make some people do the job. Hunter helped him look good in their match on RAW, but he needs a few solid victories to keep his momentum. MVP, I think, can take this hit and rebuild from it in a short amount of time, and he should be honored to do it for one of the greatest of all time who is truly on his way out.

The Optimist
01-11-2008, 09:17 AM
How about a run in DQ finish? I dont' know how confusing that is.

Just ask Bret Hart. When you don't want to job cleanly at a ppv, a run in is the answer.
Because then I'm confused about why they made the match in the first place. A plain run-in DQ basically makes Flair-MVP exactly what they did on Raw with Flair-Triple H. The differences being that it doesn't push MVP, and you're not suprised even a little when Flair survives, since he more than likely would have beat MVP in the first place, unless they show differently.

They can try hard to make MVP look good without having Flair lose, but it would require some sick wrestling on both sides.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Best way to make both guys look good. 15 minute draw.

Have MVP just dissect him with Flair getting in some offense... But have Flair keep fighting, and not give up... Ultimately, he gets in the figure four, but the time limit expires.

Tommy Gunn
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
On further thought, I'd prefer Matt Hardy to come out and cost MVP the win, and then later in the night Hardy and MVP meet in the Rumble. Here's hoping Hardy is ring-ready by then.

The Optimist
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Best way to make both guys look good. 15 minute draw.

Have MVP just dissect him with Flair getting in some offense... But have Flair keep fighting, and not give up... Ultimately, he gets in the figure four, but the time limit expires.
I'm changing my answer to his. A 15 minute draw would be sweet.

Mr. Nerfect
01-11-2008, 11:32 PM
WWKD has a great idea, but it seems too "indy" for the WWE to really use. It would be great, though.

Watching SmackDown!, I actually got the hope that MVP will beat Flair at the Rumble. It's insane, but I think MVP doing it would do wonders for him. He looked good in the ring against Batista, something only a handful of guys have done. Flair is an old man, so him losing to MVP isn't the biggest leap of faith the WWE has ever required. Part of me just wants to see it happen because it seems obvious that the WWE is going through to WrestleMania with the angle, so having Flair lose before then would be refreshing in a bizarre sort of way.

The reaction MVP would get if he hit The Playmaker on Ric Flair, and then got the 1-2-3 would be so surreal. It'd be more disbelief than anything. You then have MVP celebrate all over the place, flaunting around his WWE United States Title. Ric Flair then gets up to his feet, gets a mic, and cuts a promo about bowing out, and how he's not ashamed to lose in New York City, where he was born, and now his in-ring career dies. Flair says that this is the mecca of sports entertainment, and that MVP has the potential to be the best in the business, obviously. Flair calls MVP "The Man," and says he would be honoured if he could manage MVP. Porter accepts Flair's offer, and the two men shake hands.

Flair's first act is to get MVP into the Royal Rumble Match, where the current stand-out for winner is The Undertaker. Instead, The Edge Heads run in and attack Taker and Batista, which weakens them enough to be tossed. The winner of the Rumble is, in fact, MVP, who has the night of his career.

WrestleMania is in MVP's home state, and MVP is slowly growing in popularity. Have him jump brands and go over Randy Orton, or someone, there. MVP wins the WWE Championship in the main event of WrestleMania, and celebrates with Ric Flair, who has been inducted into the 2008 Hall of Fame.

Just an idea that came to me in a flash. Not sure if it's the absolute best thing the WWE can do, but one thing that irks me (and several other people) about the Flair angle, is how predictable it is going to turn out. There is money in the pay-off, but you can still have Flair involved in money angles, something he might actually do better away from the ring, at this stage in his life.

El Fangel
01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
One small problem with that I can A06, You have MVP who undoubtedly has his skills, but what you describe is something many wrestlers in of 10+ years could not hope would happen for them, yes this would make MVP a legend, but to be the man that ends Flairs career, and win the Rumble in the SAME night, is too much for such a newcomer, if he had 8-9 more years in the business I could see him getting this rub, but not now.

Good Idea though

Repped.

Mr. Nerfect
01-12-2008, 06:59 AM
One small problem with that I can A06, You have MVP who undoubtedly has his skills, but what you describe is something many wrestlers in of 10+ years could not hope would happen for them, yes this would make MVP a legend, but to be the man that ends Flairs career, and win the Rumble in the SAME night, is too much for such a newcomer, if he had 8-9 more years in the business I could see him getting this rub, but not now.

Good Idea though

Repped.

Thanks for the rep, man. Personally, I think it is too early for MVP to get that kind of push, too, but I just suggested it because MVP is about the only guy nearly close to the main event that I really get excited for. I'd prefer it to Batista or Undertaker winning.

Blue Demon
01-12-2008, 11:38 AM
is anyone actually ordering the Rumble this year?

Tommy Gunn
01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I usually Torrent everything except Mania, but I think I'll fork out the £15 for the Rumble this year. Being a UKer I usually don't stay up till 4am anymore like I did during the attitude era unless it's an unmissable card.

Theo Dious
01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
is anyone actually ordering the Rumble this year?

Anyone who orders ANY ppv during the year should order the Rumble. It's the freaking Royal Rumble, it's always good, no matter how bad the product is.

Mr. Nerfect
01-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone who orders ANY ppv during the year should order the Rumble. It's the freaking Royal Rumble, it's always good, no matter how bad the product is.

That's usually the consensus. I don't exactly agree. Normally I get pissed off with the Rumble these days. It's always a high point, but 2006 and 2007 really disappointed me. I liked the exchange HBK and Undertaker had at the end of the match, but I wasn't particularly into the whole Taker winning scenario that I knew was coming when he entered #30.

I'm torn on ordering. Originally I was against it, but then I kind of hit a maybe period. Edge vs. Rey Mysterio will be a good match, as will CM Punk vs. Chavo Guerrero. Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy will be more disappointing than people expect ring work wise, and to hope for a surprise if futile, but it will not be horrible. JBL vs. Jericho is...interesting. Flair vs. MVP will feature MVP busting his ass, which usually results in greatness. If I remind myself of the worst possible scenario throughout the Rumble constantly, I won't be that disappointed when the ending is underwhelming.

I think I may order.