PDA

View Full Version : Is it even possible? (IC Related) Possible Raw spoiler

Jaded-Dragon
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Is it possible to de-value the IC belt anymore? After recently watching the RAW 15th anniversary dvd and the Shawn Michaels dvd, I started thinking about how much the IC title used to mean. I started to think about all those great matches that Michaels had defending the belt, the matches between The Rock and Triple H, Macho Man vs Steamboat, even Jericho vs Benoit.

And now, the title means as much as Orton low blowing Hardy at the start of the match. I get that it is supposed to convey how much he wants to get at Hardy, but that is just my point. To an extent, all the belts have become trinkits, accessories, mere items that just happen to be caught inbetween the two power houses that want to get at each other for whatever personal reason the creative genious's come up with this week.

I also think that another part is the changing belt designs. It was fine the first time, now it's ridiculous.

This..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/WWE_Championship.jpg/800px-WWE_Championship.jpg

And This...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/Wwfwinged.jpg/800px-Wwfwinged.jpg

Although called the same thing are now two totally different things with two totally different meanings.

I don't think it was any one point, or action, that caused this, but I really wish they would at least try to build some prestige back into the belts. Even in the 80's and 90's we all knew wrestling was fake, but the belts still meant something to fans at that point.

I know, this topic has been brought up for the last 6 years, it just happened to really piss me off, what happened on RAW tonight.

Edit:

And even this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/WWF_big_eagle_belt.jpg/800px-WWF_big_eagle_belt.jpg

Indifferent Clox
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
How is this related to me?

Mr. Pierre
01-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I think the IC title means a lot more now than it did say, 6 months ago when Santino held it. Also the fact that the IC champ is credible enough to feud with the WWE Champion makes the title mean more.

But, it does seem more like a coincidental "Lets give Jeff Hardy a push for the belt. What a second, he already has the IC belt. Ah what the hell..." type of thing.

The Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I think the IC title means a lot more now than it did say, 6 months ago when Santino held it. Also the fact that the IC champ is credible enough to feud with the WWE Champion makes the title mean more.

But, it does seem more like a coincidental "Lets give Jeff Hardy a push for the belt. What a second, he already has the IC belt. Ah what the hell..." type of thing.

I agree, pending a screw job, the person to take the belt from hardy will more than likely be credible enough to do so which makes the belt look a lot better than it was just a few months back. And don't worry, the belt will belong to Jericho within the year know how the WWE uses him.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2008, 01:40 AM
I really liked reading about how Randy Orton wanted to be WWE Champion and IC Champion at the same time. The disqualification ending as soon as the match started was pretty shit, but it was a clever way for Orton to attempt to "swing the momentum." Their match at the Royal Rumble should be for both titles now.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Also, the WWE Title design is awful. I also think that having three alleged "World Championships" floating around is a bit much. They should unify the belts at WrestleMania XXV (seeing as it does seem like a big WrestleMania), and it'd be the perfect draw, making being a World Champion mean something again.

Londoner
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the ic title means far more than it did a fewmonths back, just one scheduled match ending in a dq doesnt mean its suddenly lost that credibility. Jeff has helped bring it back because of the way theyre using him in feuds, especially this latest one against Randy Orton, and cause Ortons the wwe champ, it makes the ic title look like a stepping stone to the wwe title again, which is what it should be. I don't know why its taken so long for this to happena nd for them to realize this, but i hope it continues, doubt it will, though.

Mr. JL
01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I definitely think the IC title means alot more now than it did a couple years ago.

I think the WWE has done a great job making the secondary titles (ECW, US & IC) look strong at the moment.