PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Wrestling in America...

Xero
01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
With Global Impact tonight, I got to thinking, why hasn't New Japan or another big organization started airing their programming here in the US? Do they not think it would market well? Have they tried in the past to market it here? (And no, I don't count talent trade-offs/working agreements like WCW had with New Japan and apparently TNA now has.)

The only thing I see being a real problem is the commentary and promos, but that is easily fixed with an English speaking team.

Also, do you think there is a market for it here? Or is the difference in style too great?

Jordan
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it would be great for Noah to come over to the US with some money, do some tours and try to get a PPV deal. I don't see them starting off with a TV show, but you never know. Be it AJPW, NJPW, Noah, I'd watch any of them probably.

Fignuts
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
The Japanese style is very different from american. Both in ring and out. In-ring, casual japanese fans appreciate psycology and good match pacing more than an amnerican crowd. Its a smarter(figuritively) crowd. Because of this you don't see many of the matches you do in america, where guys just go through the motions and hit their routine spots. Those matches serve a purpose(sometimes) in american promotions, but not in Japan. There aren't really storylines n japan. There are fueds, but they are booked more like a real sport, with the wrestlers speaking as if an MMA fighter would speaking about his next opponent or whatever. Not the over the top promos you see here.

All this may not bother people like you and me. But the majority of wrestling fans won't like it. Talk to any mark, and you're sure to get some sort of ethnic slur in reply.

Now everything I've been talking about is in reference to the "big 3" of Japan, NJPW, AJPW, and NOAH. Most of the smaller feds have storylines, but they take it to the other extreme. Every storyline and angle almost, is as ridiculous as mae young giving birth to a hand.

Xero
01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Have they ever released English commentated DVDs?

Fignuts
01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, FMW DVD's had english commentary.

It was fucking horrible. They missed the pinfall because they were talking about something.

THEY MISSED THE PINFALL ON A COMMENTARY THAT IS TAPED, EDITED, AND DUBBED OVER THE MATCH.

I can't bear to give another commentary dub a chance after that.

Xero
01-18-2008, 12:08 AM
....wow...

What Would Kevin Do?
01-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Yeah, it wouldn't work. The styles are too different. Plus, they don't have weekly shows in Japan. They have "tours." Basically like a set of house shows almost, with almost all different cards, with a "big" show at the end.

Honestly, I'm not trying to sound like an elitist here, but to actually follow puroresu, you have to have a love for the actual in ring aspect of wrestling. It's one thing to watch a few random Japanese matches, but it's another thing to actual follow it when there's no real "story" and 90% of the action in the major feds is based around competition.

On a totally different note, fuck Suwama for leaving Voodoo Murders.

Voodoo Murders 4 Life.

Dave Youell
01-18-2008, 06:34 AM
In the UK....

We have New japan and Noah on TWC fight without English and it's very enjoyable

The ratings were so good that in the summer in the Coventry Skydome I get to see Misawa, KENTA and KOBASHI!!!!!!!!!

So i'm a happy man

Londoner
01-18-2008, 07:23 AM
^ Dave did you know theyve changed TWC to 'the fight channel" lol As for the thread, i wouldnt mind watching japan wrestling aslong as it has english commentary..i dont think the one on the fight channel here does.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Japanese Commentary > English Commentary

.44 Magdalene
01-18-2008, 07:59 AM
WE WANT HUSTLE

*clap clap clap clap clap*

.44 Magdalene
01-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I mean, it's a parody of American wrestling anyhow.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Esperenze Vs Khali = ratings.

BigDaddyCool
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Speaking as the most American of Americans, Japanese wrestling can go to hell.

Dave Youell
01-18-2008, 10:09 AM
^ Dave did you know theyve changed TWC to 'the fight channel" lol As for the thread, i wouldnt mind watching japan wrestling aslong as it has english commentary..i dont think the one on the fight channel here does.

Yeah but I refuse to conform to them and write the channel out as TWC:Fight!

Apart from in the sentence, directly above this one.

And Japanese commentary is awesome, it goes with the psychology of the match. You know when it’s getting good because the commentators sound like they are on a rollercoaster when they are shouting about the match

Theo Dious
01-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Speaking as the most American of Americans, Japanese wrestling can go to hell.

Yep, that's another sig quote.

Kane Knight
01-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I just want to point out that American promotions barely get TV time. Though WWE gets a decent amount, especially given the shite ratings on ECW.

Mr. Monday Morning
01-19-2008, 06:37 AM
In the UK....

We have New japan and Noah on TWC fight without English and it's very enjoyable

The ratings were so good that in the summer in the Coventry Skydome I get to see Misawa, KENTA and KOBASHI!!!!!!!!!

So i'm a happy man

I'm assuming you know about the show in Coventry in June, right?

Londoner
01-19-2008, 07:04 AM
The trouble with japanese commentary for me is it gets in the way cause i dont understand it, makes it hard to watch for me!

Dave Youell
01-21-2008, 06:06 AM
I'm assuming you know about the show in Coventry in June, right?

Mr. Monday Morning
01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Uh, no...the one THIS year

Kane Knight
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Uh, no...the one THIS year

Yes, he's saying that he gets to see them THIS summer, presumably.

Hope that clears things up.