PDA

View Full Version : An opportunity?

Skull316
01-28-2008, 12:19 AM
A frequently talked about topic is when is Undertaker's WM streak going to come to an end. Tonight's Royal Rumble reminded me of how every time Undertaker and HBK step in the ring together, everyone gets excited about it. Their history is classic, and down to the finish of RR07, they showed they still have great chemistry together (unfortunately I missed the first half of the rumble match of this year, however I was judging off posts on the RR thread). I'd be all for a few month tangle between HBK and Taker, maybe resulting in a HIAC rematch at WM to end Taker's streak. What do you guys think about this? Or should the streak strictly be used to put a younger guy over?

SammyG
01-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Nah, I would love HBK Taker @ Mania.

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2008, 12:34 AM
If they do HBK vs. Taker, which would be a great match, they should put Undertaker over. The same goes for a Hell in a Cell rematch, which should not take place at WrestleMania, but at Backlash, or something. Just because HBK won the last one.

Fox
01-28-2008, 01:11 AM
They should do a casket match re-match, where this time Shawn breaks Taker's back across the casket.

jk injury is not funny.

Rammsteinmad
01-28-2008, 02:35 AM
To be honest I'm not all that fussed about a 'Taker / HBK fued. Personally I think if Undertaker did lose at a 'Mania he should lose to someone who really is gonna get someone in the WWE. I'm thinking someone like MVP if they give him another year to build himself up a bit.

Heros Welcome
01-28-2008, 02:45 AM
I think that IF Taker does lose at a Mania, it should be to a young guy who they are looking to put over huge.

As for a HBK/Taker feud, I am ALL for it. Everytime they get into the ring together I mark big time. Tonight, no different. They still got the chemistry, and the E should notice how much the fans are into something when Take/HBK are in the ring together. Before they hang them up, they should go at it one more time.

Speaking for the HIAC idea, all for it.

Indifferent Clox
01-28-2008, 02:48 AM
I think that IF Taker does lose at a Mania, it should be to a young guy who they are looking to put over huge.

As for a HBK/Taker feud, I am ALL for it. Everytime they get into the ring together I mark big time. Tonight, no different. They still got the chemistry, and the E should notice how much the fans are into something when Take/HBK are in the ring together. Before they hang them up, they should go at it one more time.

Speaking for the HIAC idea, all for it.

Who?

Heros Welcome
01-28-2008, 02:50 AM
What you mean? Who should Taker put over? Well since he has already faced Orton, and has feuded with Kennedy, the other choice for right now is probably MVP

Indifferent Clox
01-28-2008, 02:58 AM
What you mean? Who should Taker put over? Well since he has already faced Orton, and has feuded with Kennedy, the other choice for right now is probably MVP

Ah.

Juan
01-28-2008, 03:53 AM
If they're gonna have a younger guy end Taker's streak, it better be someone with staying power and over with the crowd. I'd hate for the guy that does end Taker's streak to be gone from the company a few years later. I'd actually prefer if it were someone who he has had history with.

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2008, 04:42 AM
If he were to come back, Muhammad Hassan would be the perfect choice to go over The Undertaker.

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
If they're gonna have a younger guy end Taker's streak, it better be someone with staying power and over with the crowd. I'd hate for the guy that does end Taker's streak to be gone from the company a few years later.

Cena.

Kane Knight
01-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, the guy they put over will probably be someone like Cena, in a desperate attempt to make him the next star, or someone over the hill like Batista, who won't be around long enough for it to matter (I like Bats, but one more injury could take him out).

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't have surprised me to see a heel Lashley vs Undertaker this year, except I guess that's not gonna happen now.

An Edge vs Undertaker match is a likely, and interesting, scenario. Unbeaten streak vs unbeaten streak. But I do believe that when, if ever, Taker loses the streak it should be to a guy with a future. Edge doesn't need the rub.

Kane Knight
01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Taker should lose his streak. There's no point to that kind of "prestige" in a fake sport.

When he does, it should be to someone with a future.

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Taker should lose his streak. There's no point to that kind of "prestige" in a fake sport.

When he does, it should be to someone with a future.

Agreed, but Taker is reportedly very protective of his streak, plus it would be a fitting tribute to a guy with his longevity and loyalty to allow him to retire with the streak intact.

I can see Taker eventually retiring from full time competition, yet returning at WrestleMania each year as a one-off to defend the streak. Eventually he will be beaten and it will be a huge "passing of the torch" Hogan-beating-Andre type moment. There's no reason that, under those circumstances, the streak can't continue for another decade.

Kane Knight
01-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure it would carry that kind of momentum.

Imagine if Hogan "passed the torch" in 2009.

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Hogan's cried wolf on the whole "torch passing" too many times for it to be effective. Things that have never been done before have a better chance of working (not foolproof, but with the WWE marketing machine behind it, surely they can build Taker up as a God once a year, put him on a pedestal so one day somebody can knock him off it).

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:58 AM
It obviously depends on Taker's mobility and health... beating a broken down, hunched over 55yr old Undertaker won't be quite as effective as beating Taker within the next year or two.

It's a two edged sword.

On the one hand, it would be a rare and satisfying show of respect to allow the Taker to retire unbeaten at a WrestleMania. On the other hand, it would be a great opportunity squandered to give a huuuuuuuge rub to an up-and-comer.

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Of course, knowing WWE, that "up-and-comer" would be the latest green-guy-pushed-too-soon, a respected veteran who certainly didn't need the win, or the desperately-pushed likes of Cena and Triple H.

Kane Knight
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Hogan's cried wolf on the whole "torch passing" too many times for it to be effective. Things that have never been done before have a better chance of working (not foolproof, but with the WWE marketing machine behind it, surely they can build Taker up as a God once a year, put him on a pedestal so one day somebody can knock him off it).

As you mentioned though, waiting leads to certain variables.

There's no guarantee that Taker will continue to put asses in the seats in a few years, and so it's kind of foolish to put so much behind someone who might be worthless by the time it comes around.

On the other hand, when ratings went down and people started booing Cena, they stuck it out, so this sounds like a perfect WWE plan.

Innovator
01-28-2008, 02:25 PM
If he were to come back, Muhammad Hassan would be the perfect choice to go over The Undertaker.
No, Hassan wasn't going anywhere and wasn't going to go anywhere

Fox
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I bet Undertaker will keep the streak.

Kane Knight
01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
No, Hassan wasn't going anywhere and wasn't going to go anywhere

Do not pass go, do not collect 72 virgins.

The Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I personally think that takers streak is part of his legacy and that he shouldnt lose. If they wanted taker to lose at mania I think they would have had Orton do it a couple years ago. As for having taker lose to put over a young talent, I think that taker is the type of guy that his opponent does not even necessarily have to win for him to put them over. All his opponent needs to do is "take him to his limits" in order to get over.