PDA

View Full Version : Flair's Mania Opponent? (Possible WrestleMania Spoilers)

Xero
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
From PWInsider:

On today's No Name Show (afternoon edition) Elite Member Chris Decker sent in a question wondering whether Shawn Michaels would make a good opponent for Ric Flair at WrestleMania. After the show went live, I heard from two different people inside WWE who told me that the word making rounds is that as of right now is that is indeed the tentative plan, with the word being that Vince McMahon has already cleared it.

As of right now, take this for a rumor but that is what I heard from two independent sources today. Personally, I like it. Michaels retiring Flair in a classic match would be one of those situations where both men could get a pop as they left the ring.

FourFifty
01-31-2008, 07:04 PM
As of right now, take this for a rumor but that is what I heard from two independent sources today. Personally, I like it. Michaels retiring Flair in a classic match would be one of those situations where both men could get a pop as they left the ring.

Bad idea.
What does HBK have to gain from this? Nothing. A guy like MVP, Mr. Kennedy, or even Umaga could take something from it. Hell, even Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, or Randy Orton could get a rub from Ric. While HBK and Flair would be alright HBK has nothing to gain and I promise you that whomever puts Flair out will get some heat from the crowd. I don't see HBK going heel anytime soon, so bad idea.
Hell, if Matt Hardy could come back he could pull it off and have a great heel turn.

weather vane
01-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I think it will be Randy Orton and Ric Flair.

KYR
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Bad idea.
What does HBK have to gain from this? Nothing. A guy like MVP, Mr. Kennedy, or even Umaga could take something from it. Hell, even Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, or Randy Orton could get a rub from Ric. While HBK and Flair would be alright HBK has nothing to gain and I promise you that whomever puts Flair out will get some heat from the crowd. I don't see HBK going heel anytime soon, so bad idea.
Hell, if Matt Hardy could come back he could pull it off and have a great heel turn.

Hmmm...sort of agree.

I just think that if Flair had his choice, his last match would be against either HHH or HBK. Relating back to the issues he had with Vince recently, maybe this is the deal that was cut.

Personally, I would like to see Ric go out on his terms and if that means HBK then so be it. I think he deserves it.

Heros Welcome
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
It would be the Classic match that would be great to end on the biggest stage, but I believe what the others are saying is right. Someone like Kennedy or Orton could use the rub in ending the career of Flair more than HBK.

Jeritron
01-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Beating Ric Flair, even if its to "retire" him in whats left of kayfabe, isn't that big of a rub anymore. Lets be honest.

It's not like Takers streak or anything, that's why I dont think it's as important for it to be given to a youngster as it is for his last match to be appropriate and very possibly steal the show.

Looking at Flair's legacy, style and own personal preference of wrestler...Shawn is the man he'd prob want to do it.
It may not do anything for Shawn Michaels, but it'll make for something appropriate and memorable, and I dont think it's that big of a issed oppurtunity for anyone deserving.

Ortons already over, beating the current Ric Flair for retirement isn't gonna help him.
MVP is busy
Kennedy, I mean, I want him to get a push but this isn't the right way to do it. I also cringe at him being Flair's last match.

Flairs done and this is a proper send off, so why not give him a show stealing match instead.

I think right after No Way Out Vince should pit him against Michaels, and have them reluctantly fued and slowly have tension. Flair wants to go out on top, but Michaels just can't lay down for anybody at his show. So it becomes heated and boils over in big match where Flair suprisingly gives him a hard fought match only to barely lose. They celebrate and walk out together.

Londoner
01-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Guess this means hes winning at no way out.

Porcupine
01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I read a rumor, Flairs opponent at WM might be Undertaker, but I hope its false.

Flair's opponent should be the undefeated Snitsky.

FourFifty
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I read a rumor, Flairs opponent at WM might be Undertaker, but I hope its false.

Flair's opponent should be the undefeated Snitsky.

wosrt 100th post EVER!

01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
I could see them going some direction like realizing Flair is the number one contender for the title as he's had such a big win streak, or something along those lines.

McLegend
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Good move, because HBK is the only one who can raise Flair's game and take him up to that other level again for one more final night.

RVDmark
01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Not the best thing in terms of giving someone a push to the top. But if anyone can get a decent match out of Flair, its HBK. Flair can still go, but not every week. If Flair and HBK are at their best that night, It will be a sight to see. And a face that does something heelish, a multi layered character. Bring it on.

GD
01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Arn Anderson comes out of retirement to retire Flair at Mania and go back to retirement along with Flair and make the official house of the retired and the dead horsemen with a stable in the backyard.

Jura
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Dean Malenko vs Ric Flair.

Kane Knight
01-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I think he should face Ric Flair.

That way, he retires on a high note.

Kane Knight
01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
On the other hand, he will also retire having lost to himself.

KYR
01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Ah, but will it be heel Flair v face Flair? And if so, WOOOOOOO will win?

wwe2222
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Id rather HBK be the one doing it. The match would be much more dramatic having Michaels do it. I could see him at times questioning himself during the match if he wants to pin Flair.

Losing to Kennedy or Hardy, etc. is just not the way his career should end and its not going to do anything for them. Let Michaels raise Flair's hand at the end and hug, and probably some other guys to come out and do the same, etc.

The Gold Standard
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
I would rather Kennedy than HBK because this way it puts over Kennedy. HBK doesn't need to be put over. Kennedy needs that big win and I think him beating Flair would be perfect.

#1-norm-fan
02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
For a split second after reading this, I thought the same thing most people are thinking about how Flair's career should be ended @ WM by an up an comer like Kennedy.

Then I thought about the "WrestleMania moment" that would be made if a face HBK defeated Flair and ended his career and then the two just stared each other in the eye for a bit and shook hands and hugged.

I would much rather have that iconic moment that would live in wrestling history forever than just have some young heel beat him for a rub. That's just me. Sometimes I think things need to happen in wrestling that mean more than just putting someone over.

Tazz Dan
02-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah, seriously do all matches really need to be about giving someone a "rub"????

HBK or HHH seem the perfect choice to retire him IMO. :y::y:

What Would Kevin Do?
02-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I wanted it to be HHH, but HBK works just as well. I just really like the idea of whoever it actually being reluctant, and visibly upset when they finally have to pin Flair and end his career.

Fox
02-01-2008, 02:40 AM
We're either looking at a feel-good WrestleMania moment with Michaels and Flair hugging in the ring, and a big farewell hoopla bullshit, or a big shove for a young guy like Kennedy, putting one of the best men in the industry EVER out to pasture.

Personally, I would prefer the Kennedy scenario. Fuck fell good moments. Flair has had plenty of them in his career. This is an opportunity to MAKE a main event star for life. HBK is already past that status into the status of legend. Why not give it to Kennedy, who's career is just getting started?

The Optimist
02-01-2008, 03:13 AM
^Fox broke it down expertly.

Really, I would have preferred MVP getting the major push rather than Kennedy, but that's already done with.

Indifferent Clox
02-01-2008, 03:16 AM
It would be an amazing wrestlemania match. Fuck doing something for someone's career. I mean that's all well and good, but I want to see good wrestling at mania. Flair v. Michaels has OMG written all over it.

Well it did 10 years ago anyway...

El Fangel
02-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Spoiler: Cena Wins.

For serious though, If it was up to me, get Flair to tap out to Jericho.

Hanso Amore
02-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Flair has done too much for his last moment to be about giving someone else a rub.

Flair goes out losing to a Hall of Famer in HBK, has a good final match, and can walk out as the center of attention as he rightly deserves.

KingofOldSchool
02-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Why give the rub to someone who has blown every single opportunity given to him?

I'd feel better if they gave that rub to Jimmy Wang Yang, than Mister Wellness Policy.

Lord-Of-Darkness
02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd prefer it to be HBK or HHH. Because I know the match would be entertaining. And after all, that is why I like to think I watch. To be entertained.

.44 Magdalene
02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
You know who should retire Flair?

Sting.

Then it's a feel-good moment where nobody feels good.

.44 Magdalene
02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Alternatively, Flair has a kayfabe heart attack and "dies" the night before Wrestlemania.

RUSSOSWERVE

HE SHOOTS HE SCORES

wwe2222
02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
People are overestimating what kind of rub its going to give someone. I dont believe guys like Kennedy or Hardy are going to last long enough or make a big enough impact that warrant them getting the match. Whichever up and comer beats Flair, its not going to be something thats remembered. Guaranteed it just gets forgotten.

Id much rather see this as a WM moment between HBK/Flair, then for a pointless rub. THAT be something long remembered. Two of the all time greats in the ring.

The Optimist
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I dont believe guys like Kennedy or Hardy are going to last long enough or make a big enough impact that warrant them getting the match.Welcome to Vince McMahon logic.

wwe2222
02-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome to Vince McMahon logic.

and is it wrong? not this time

Mr. Nerfect
02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Mr. Kennedy should be the guy to do it. I don't care if people are off the bandwagon, this guy is fucking great. He gets reactions, he can work a match, and he was charismatic enough to get a bandwagon like he did.

His matches against Shawn Michaels were apparently meant to serve as a "proving ground," and those matches were pretty fucking good. Any man that can help Batista to a good man has worth in my eyes.

What should happen:

Mr. Kennedy gets disqualified at No Way Out, and completely beats Ric Flair to a pulp. Flair blades like a champ, and Kennedy tells Flair that he's going to retire him one way or another...at WrestleMania. Kennedy just seems the kind of arrogant prick to want to end it all at Mania.

You can borrow from Flair's WrestleMania X-8 feud with The Undertaker, and have Kennedy slap Reid Flair around. The spotlight is entirely on Kennedy heading into WrestleMania. Flair takes the time off, as I think it would give a big match atmosphere to the match, with Kennedy's voice being the only one we hear, giving the fans a reason to want Flair to get back at Kennedy. Maybe have Flair appear in a suit just before WrestleMania, maybe via the titantron, so he can give an amazing promo.

At WrestleMania, Kennedy and Flair go at it again, and this time Kennedy gets the clean pin with The Kennedy Curse (prefer that name to the Mic Check). Mr. Kennedy has ended the career of Ric Flair. Mr. Kennedy refuses to give Flair the spotlight after the match. He kicks Flair out of the ring and tells the fans that if they want to see a big celebration as its Ric Flair's last match, then they can get fucked, but Kennedy deserves the spotlight for his win, and not Flair for his loss.

The Money in the Bank Ladder Match rolls around (in my perfect world, it would be Jeff Hardy vs. MVP vs. John Morrison vs. Finlay vs. Umaga vs. Shelton Benjamin). Umaga, Finlay and Shelton Benjamin all remove themselves from the equation, Finlay leaving the match to chase Vince, and Shelton leaving to win favour with the boss. This leaves it as a final showdown between Jeff Hardy, MVP and John Morrison. All three guys have taken each other down, and suddenly Ric Flair runs out. He climbs the ladder and steals the briefcase, leading to an official No Contest in the MITB Ladder Match.

This accomplishes a few things:

1. Mr. Kennedy gets the rub from beating Ric Flair, and he looks like an uber-dick heel. I'd then ship him to SmackDown! to help out over there, were I think he would make a great heel World Heavyweight Champion this year.

2. Ric Flair has a role to hang around in. Flair would technically be retired, but you can have Flair claim that retired wrestlers have competed before, and that the contract he pulled down did not specify that someone needed to win the MITB Ladder Match to cash it in, but it was simply a WWE contract for a title shot whenever the signee requests it. Flair is going to be hanging around when he retires, as the company just signed him on for three more years, and he's just too valuable as an on-air talent.

3. It gives Vince McMahon reason to host another Money in the Bank Ladder Match at Backlash, to be fair to the competitors who missed out. Finlay and Umaga are taken out of the match by Vince McMahon, and their spots are given to two more competitors. You could maybe even beef up a Backlash MITB to an eight-man Ladder Match, which makes an entire half of the match fresh. Ladder Matches are usually always fun, and could help a PPV like Backlash draw. This would lead to two MITB contracts floating around (one held by Ric Flair, the other probably held by a Hardy).

4. With a title shot, Ric Flair can win a seventeenth World Championship without damaging the Champion he dethrones. Ric Flair's character is meant to be a smart one that doesn't always play by the rules, so he can pick his spot like Edge has done, and win another World Title without hurting anyone. That is when Ric Flair's real retirement can come into place. You could even have Flair end my proposed World Heavyweight Title reign for Mr. Kennedy. This would be great continuity, as Flair gets the win over the man who ended his full-time active career, and Flair would get to be World Heavyweight Champion, something he's never done in his career.

5. I've always wanted to see someone who was not in a Ladder Match come down and remove the prize. I have a feeling TNA might have done it, but I think it would be good to see a WWE spin. It gets a possible scenario for Ladder Matches out of the way, and sets a WWE precedent.

Evil Vito
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I wouldn't mind Flair vs. HBK at all...would be a classic match and would be an awesome ovation at the end.

Plus...it could set up for HBK becoming a cocky heel and getting into a program with the WWE Champion...
WWE: "No. :|"</font>

Porcupine
02-02-2008, 02:40 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I wouldn't mind Flair vs. HBK at all...would be a classic match and would be an awesome ovation at the end.

Plus...it could set up for HBK becoming a cocky heel and getting into a program with the WWE Champion...
WWE: "No. :|"</font>

Plus...it could set up for HBK becoming a cocky heel and jobbing to the the WWE Champion JOHN CENA...

WWE: Yes.

mrslackalack
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
If they did do it with Flair/HBK at WM.

Id have HBK do a cocky heel thing like he did with Hogan and since hes born-again Christian have him thrash and crictize Flairs stylin and profilin ways.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:44 AM
I'm torn about this. On the one hand, the obvious choice would be to give an up-and-comer the rub and bragging rites of retiring the legendary Ric Flair. On the other hand, maybe only a tested veteran actually DESERVES that honour (and, recent form or not, it IS an honour)...

From a business point of view, Ric Flair vs The Undertaker would make a lot of sense. From a buyrate perspective, you are getting a guarantee. Either a legendary career or a legendary streak will come to an end on PPV. Guaranteed. One of the problems with the Ric Flair "next time you lose, you're through" storyline is that you know it's coming, you just don't know when.

Now, we're all pretty sure that WrestleMania is the "when"... therefore, pit him against the streak and it is more likely to increase buys. There are NO guarantees in the future of Ric Flair's career, but if you put him against Undertaker at WrestleMania, some big landmark moment is a cert to occur.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:48 AM
What I'm saying is, if they book HBK vs Flair at WrestleMania, then most people won't really begrudge Shawn Michaels ending the career of Ric Flair.... but of there's a change of plans, and Ric Flair wins against Shawn at WM, then what have you really seen? Just another guy job to the memory of Ric Flair. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Undertaker vs Flair guarantees something chnages, permanently. That's just what WrestleMania needs.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm all for a match between Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels, but I don't think HBK should go over. I think that if Flair were to win, and somehow cleanly (without making things look ridiculous), it would not only be the classic match people want, but it would lend more credibility to Flair and the storyline. Whoever does defeat Flair then won't be retiring an old man who once used to be a great wrestler, but he'll be defeating a great wrestler.

So yeah, if we get Flair vs. HBK at Mania, I'll be calling for Flair to go over, and for the storyline to continue into the summer. It'd be a lot more interesting with the momentum behind it, which would be good, as the WWE is kind of dry that time of year.

I also think that they should induct Flair into the Hall of Fame this year if they put him over. It builds even more momentum for Flair.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:58 AM
I don't really know how I'd feel about one last Ric Flair World title reign. Part of me says "no way, he's a joke", another part says "yes, he deserves it, and he can carry it".

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I don't really know how I'd feel about one last Ric Flair World title reign. Part of me says "no way, he's a joke", another part says "yes, he deserves it, and he can carry it".

I'm much the same way. I side towards the first one, but I would not be opposed to Ric Flair winning a World Title using something like a MITB title shot, and then retiring as Champion, and forfeiting the belt and then holding a tournament to crown a new Champion.

They could even make it an annual thing, and instead of doing the King of the Ring, they can have a tournament featuring the World Champion.