PDA

View Full Version : Haha, Brock Lesnar lost to Frank Mir

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Will Lesnar take his ball and go home again? Will he continue to better himself until he reaches a level of excellence? Will we see him back in the WWE anytime soon, because Lesnar has actually been a proven success there?

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Brock's obviously got the size and talent to make it in MMA, but I'm hoping that he gives up and comes back to the WWE. The man was the last real star created by the WWE. He should be in the position that John Cena is currently in.

A Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena feud is legitimately money.

DaVe
02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Wow, I just watched the match and it was actually exciting the whole way through... of course it didn't go 2 minutes, but in any case I don't usually say that about anything UFC related.

I'm hoping he pursues though and get's decent enough to do well in the UFC because if he returns to wrestling immediately his image won't be so impressive.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, I just watched the match and it was actually exciting the whole way through... of course it didn't go 2 minutes, but in any case I don't usually say that about anything UFC related.

I'm hoping he pursues though and get's decent enough to do well in the UFC because if he returns to wrestling immediately his image won't be so impressive.

Well, that's exactly it. If he looks like a tool and then goes back to the WWE, who's it going to help?

He needs to win at least one fight, hurt his knuckles really badly, and say to his agent "No, fuck this, I need to go back to where people only wanted to kick my ass."

Chavo Classic
02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I hope Brock sticks to UFC. It'll be hilarious watching him get taken down a few pegs every match.

Xero
02-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Brock: Hey Vince, can I come back?

Vince: Fuck off. I saw your fight on the internet.

Brock: :mad:

Russo: Hey Brock... C'mere!

Xero
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NKEG-6dNJw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5NKEG-6dNJw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KingofOldSchool
02-03-2008, 09:18 AM
LOL Brock got punked.

Blue Demon
02-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I think Brock had an amazing showing though.

Kane Knight
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I think Brock had an amazing showing though.Yeah, that was pretty damn impressive of Cocksword.

Blue Demon
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
If it wasn't for a slip up (most likely due to inexperience) I think Brock would've won. He def has a lot to be proud of.

Avenger
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Spoiler warning ffs.

You wouldn't post 'Cena won the Rumble' the day after.

There are other countries apart from America who have to wait until the next day to watch idiots.

Avenger
02-03-2008, 09:33 AM
ok, lol @ Taker and Austin getting huge pops

Kane Knight
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
If it wasn't for a slip up (most likely due to inexperience) I think Brock would've won. He def has a lot to be proud of.

Yeah, he put on a good showing, and there's no real shame in having lost in that bout.

Spoiler warning ffs.

There are other countries apart from America who have to wait until the next day to watch idiots.

Just to point out, Avenger, there were "Cena Wins" threads in both the wrestling AND casual forums the day after. Or the same night. Whichever.

Mr. JL
02-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I think there was even a couple "CENA WINS" threads the day before the event had begun too.

Xero
02-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Spoiler warning ffs.

Spoiler warning for the next 12 PPVs (at least): Cena Wins.

Chavo Classic
02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Brock looked amateurish. Like a kid who's learning to box and goes in throwing punches without any patience or timing. He deserved to get punished because he lapsed in concentration for a split second while Mir maintained his cool and waited his turn.

Not entirely unimpressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing him improve.

Innovator
02-03-2008, 10:39 AM
If Brock gets a couple more fights in him he's gonna be decent, he just got caught by a way more experienced fighter

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Brock's obviously got the size and talent to make it in MMA, but I'm hoping that he gives up and comes back to the WWE. The man was the last real star created by the WWE.

A Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena feud is legitimately money.

If Cena can be one half of a "money" feud, then surely HE is the last real star created by WWE. You can't have a money feud without two "stars" involved.

BigDaddyCool
02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Brock didn't respected the submissions.

DarKCentaur
02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Lesnar fought the wrong fight. I mean he was dominating from the get-go, but he kept trying to mat wrestle, which is the wrong thing to do against a submissions expert. He should have let Mir back up every time he took him down, and he would have won the striking game.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Whoever is saying Lesnar looked like a tool must not have watched the same fight. Lesnar looked pretty damn good out the gate. He almost had Mir knocked the fuck out right away. He lost due to lack of experience. If he works on the basics some more, he will definitely be a force to be wreckoned with.

Mercury Bullet
02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
One loss and he isn't going to be done with MMA. Not to mention one loss to a former world champion while Brock was in his second pro fight. He showed he has a ton of potential and even in losing, he shut up alot of his harshest critics that thought he was going to be a joke. He took Mir down in 5 seconds and was bashing his head in at 6 seconds. And not surprisingly, he looked like a guy in his second MMA fight. He was reckless and sloppy and it cost him the match.

JT
02-03-2008, 01:13 PM
One thing annoying me is that people automatically say he sucks because he lost. I watched, and was impressed. He lost...any smart person who was keeping up with the fight could have said that. But he wasn't some whip who got totally dominated. He had control at the beginning, and just didn't know what to do at one point...which that minor hesitation costing him the match.

I heard afterwards that Brock understands the lost, and will be training harder for his next match, which I feel shows his dedication. Some more training and some more experience, and I think he could reach the top of the division.

Kane Knight
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
One loss and he isn't going to be done with MMA. Not to mention one loss to a former world champion while Brock was in his second pro fight. He showed he has a ton of potential and even in losing, he shut up alot of his harshest critics that thought he was going to be a joke. He took Mir down in 5 seconds and was bashing his head in at 6 seconds. And not surprisingly, he looked like a guy in his second MMA fight. He was reckless and sloppy and it cost him the match.

Yeah, there wass no shame in this loss. His only glaring flaw is being an amateur. That's easily solved.

McLegend
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I bet there isn't too many MMA fighters who fight a former heavyweight Champion in thier 2nd ever career fight.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Most of you don't know shit about MMA, obv..

Lesnar looked really good against a former heavyweight champ and prolly one of the BEST heavyweight Jujitsu fighters of all time.. Mir has one of the best guards in the game and true wrestlers usually have trouble protecting the legs on the ground against Jujitsu guys.. Lesnar should have slowed it down and if he had been more patient and if they hadn't stopped the fight for that punch to the back of the head, he had Mir on shakey legs within the first minute.. He was also able to take him down at will.. Lesnar is gonna be a beast in the heavyweight division but he need much more experience.. And as I said earlier, he was fighting a former UFC HVW Champ not just some jobber they feed to him.. I think it was good for UFC cause Mir looked good getting the win against this new contender making his comeback legit, while Brock dominated most of the fight but got caught in a tricky submission..

Also, if anyone thinks he's one and done, you are retarded.. EVERY fighter loses fight.. EVERY fighter.. Brock said in an interview that if UFC had been the powerhouse it is now, and could have offered him the money he's getting now, there's no way he'd ever have gone into prowrestling out of college..

You guys should stick to discussing fake fighting cause you really have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to the real thing..

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
If Lesnar sticks at it and gets a few wins under his belt, and Mir stays strong, Lesnar vs Mir II will probably be worth a few bob in 6 - 12 months. That would be a must-win scenario for Lesnar though.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
No it wouldn't..

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
It would for his reputation and drawing power in MMA.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:44 PM
For a guy declared "the Next Big Thing" (again!!) impressive showings en route to defeat aren't the way forward.

Heros Welcome
02-03-2008, 01:46 PM
His inexperience showed, but his striking looked very good, which I thought was going to be suspect. In given time he is going to develop, and he will be the poster boy for the heavyweight division.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
No it wouldn't..

Chuck Liddell has lost to Rampage Jackson twice and hasn't lost any drawing power.. Same Could be said about Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia, or Liddell vs Tito or Couture vs Liddell etc etc etc.. Some guys have some other guy's "numbers".. Losing is not that big of a deal in UFC as long as you put on good fights..

Once again, stick to the fake stuff..

:y:

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
My 5000th post was about Brock Lesnar. Huh.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
No it wouldn't..

Chuck Liddell has lost to Rampage Jackson twice and hasn't lost any drawing power.. Same Could be said about Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia, or Liddell vs Tito or Couture vs Liddell etc etc etc.. Some guys have some other guy's "numbers".. Losing is not that big of a deal in UFC as long as you put on good fights..

Once again, stick to the fake stuff..

:y:

Those guys already had a rep, dude. Lesnar has yet to win in UFC, good showing or not.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Brock Lesnar is a former WWE champion, you fool! How much of a rep do you need???? :shifty:

Anybody Thrilla
Seriously though, that fight was not MAKE IT or BREAK IT for Lesnar. He's going to be good.

NeanderCarl
Silly me.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not saying Lesnar won't be a success, I'm sure he will be, and everybody has to win-some, lose-some... agreed. But he HAS to win against formidable opponents in high profile fights, else he'll just be an also-ran or "just another guy".

A second fight against Mir, when he is more experienced and on the up, is a sure bet. But a second loss would be much more damaging than this first one.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
He has had ONE fight..

Mirko Cro Cop is 1-2 in the UFC, do you think his career is over??

UFC is more about having entertaining fights than always winning.. Every fighter loses sometimes.. I mean, one fighter loses every fight.. It goes with the territory of fighting.. I am sure Lesnar will win a bunch of fights in UFC but it was a stretch to think he'd come in, in only his second MMA fight ever and beat a former HVW champ.. He looked really good against him and that's all that matters..

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:07 PM
He has had ONE fight..

Mirko Cro Cop is 1-2 in the UFC, do you think his career is over??

UFC is more about having entertaining fights than always winning.. Every fighter loses sometimes.. I mean, one fighter loses every fight.. It goes with the territory of fighting.. I am sure Lesnar will win a bunch of fights in UFC but it was a stretch to think he'd come in, in only his second MMA fight ever and beat a former HVW champ.. He looked really good against him and that's all that matters..

Go back and read what I actually said. Don't just assume.

I never suggested his career is over. He will likely have a very successful career. Any fighter who is more bothered about being entertaining than winning in a combat sport need to reassess their priorities. Lesnar isn't there to excite everyone en route to losing. He's there to make money and win championships, things that can only be achieved by winning. And for the UFC promotional machine to get behind him, he needs to be winning the important fights. His debut was an important fight for him, but can be forgiven... as you say, it's inexperience. But it can't be the start of a trend if he is to become a real legit name in MMA.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Okay, simplified, what I'm saying is common sense.

I'm saying he needs to win fights to be successful. Stands to reason, doesn't it?

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Of coarse he's gonna have to win fights.. But to think that a Mir rematch will be make or break is ridiculous specially if Lesnar beats some guys like Cro Cop, Congo, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc on the way to that rematch..

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I didn't say "make or break"... I'm talking reputation. I'm going on the assumption (there's that word again) that Lesnar won't be fighting the likes of Cro Cop et al over the next year. I'm thinking he will go for some of the smaller fish, and when he's more experienced and confident, will try to exercise the demon of the Mir loss by beating him, and THEN moving onto the big guns.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking Mir will get the next shot at the title do to him losing the HVW title, then getting in that motorcycle accident.. I mean, he's only had two fights since then, winning both..

They don't have alot of jobbers in UFC, so I'd like to hear who you think Lesnar will fight next..

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Was anybody else thoroughly disappointed at the lack of F5 in that fight?

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Speaking of exorcising demons, I think Lesnar should definitely bust out a shooting star press next time.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:20 PM
They don't have alot of jobbers in UFC, so I'd like to hear who you think Lesnar will fight next..

Kurt Angle. :shifty:

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I would mark out ridiculously for a shooting star press in UFC.

Kane Knight
02-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Okay, simplified, what I'm saying is common sense.

I'm saying he needs to win fights to be successful. Stands to reason, doesn't it?

Yes, but he doesn't have any one fight that's a must win, and that's what you said about Mir/Lesnar II. You can have an amazing match and still lose, and in this case, even if he loses, he looks good for standing on solid ground.

Now, if he looked worse against Mir a second time, that would be a problem. Butmerely losing? No.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
It depends on the timing and the promotion of it, and also I suppose how good Mir continues to look. A loss to Mir on top form is one thing... I was under the impression Mir was washed up but it doesn't seem that way right now.

IC Champion
02-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow, Noid really is retarded.

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:34 PM
He lost the HVW title, then got into a bad motorcycle wreak, since then he's come in and won twice.. Not washed up, but coming into this people didn't know how sharp he would be..

ABT, the closest thing you'll get to a shooting star press is when Charles Crazy Horse Bennett does the backflip off the cage.. He actually did it on an opponent in King of the Cage, but this is the only video I could find of it online..

(around 48 second in)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5FWtM8POPQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5FWtM8POPQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He is the man but his thugness keeps him in jail too much so he'll prolly never make it to UFC..

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I was under the impression that you should shut the fuck up, NeanderCarl. :heart:

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Also "washed up" at 28 years old??

Who is he, Brittany Spears??

Mr. JL
02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Mir was probally the worst match-up for Lesnar out of any Heavyweight currently in the UFC; given Mir's specialties and Lesnar's but Lesnar definitely has the ability to kill it against a lot of the other heavyweights.

Innovator
02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree with everything Krispy has said, but Mir is 3-2 following the accident

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" height=30> Win</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">Brock Lesnar (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=17522)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">Submission (Kneebar)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">UFC 81 - Breaking Point (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&EventID=6038)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">2/2/2008</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">1</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">1:30 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=Txt11Gray height=30> Win</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>Antoni Hardonk (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=1518)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>Submission (Kimura)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>UFC 74 - Respect (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&EventID=5297)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>8/25/2007</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>1</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>1:17 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" height=30> Loss</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">Brandon Vera (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=4886)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">TKO (Strikes)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">UFC 65 - Bad Intentions (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&EventID=4313)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">11/18/2006</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">1</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">1:09 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=Txt11Gray height=30> Win</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>Dan Christison (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=2646)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>Decision (Unanimous)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>UFC 61 - Bitter Rivals (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&EventID=3910)</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>7/8/2006</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>3</TD><TD class=Txt11Gray>5:00 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd" height=30> Loss</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">Marcio Cruz (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=13976)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">TKO (Strikes)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">UFC 57 - Liddell vs Couture 3 (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&EventID=3508)</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">2/4/2006</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">1</TD><TD class="Txt11Gray OddBgd">4:10 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kris P Lettus
02-03-2008, 02:43 PM
For some reason I thought he wreak was at the end of 06..

Why did he only fight once last year?? I thought that was when he was hurt..

:dunno:

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
He was recording a rap album, I believe.

Innovator
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah I just remembered him looking horrible at his first fight back, slowly he's coming back into form.

If Brock could train with some true ground n pound guys, like some guy named Randy Couture, he's going to be ridiculous

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I was under the impression that you should shut the fuck up, NeanderCarl. :heart:

I was under the impression that you were under the impression that I'm impressionable to your impression of an impressionable impressionist. Impressive.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Frank Caliendo?

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 03:02 PM
You, sir, are a liar. Liar, liar, your pants.... *click* are on FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Just saw the ads for the Lesnar-Mir fight on Bravo in the UK (it won't air here until later tonight)... they described him as "WWE Legend, Brock Lesnar". Stretching it a bit, ain't it?

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I dunno, he was pretty legendary.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Legendarily wooden.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
He has a legendary tattoo of his mother on his back.

NeanderCarl
02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
And a legendary tattoo of a cock tit-fucking his bitchtits.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 04:44 PM
If Cena can be one half of a "money" feud, then surely HE is the last real star created by WWE. You can't have a money feud without two "stars" involved.

Cena is the last real attempt at creating a star by the WWE. Batista came close to being a star, but Brock Lesnar just felt more accepted than both of them. Cena is statistically in the top spot right now, but he needs a real feud with a real star to get there himself. Brock Lesnar could help him with that.

So could The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin, but neither of those is happening.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Whoever is saying Lesnar looked like a tool must not have watched the same fight. Lesnar looked pretty damn good out the gate. He almost had Mir knocked the fuck out right away. He lost due to lack of experience. If he works on the basics some more, he will definitely be a force to be wreckoned with.

I can't remember, but didn't people think that Lesnar would absolutely destroy Mir? The fact is, he didn't. Look, nobody is trying to say that Lesnar looked like a tool, it's just fun to make fun of the guy for losing.

Brock lost. He was not good enough, and until he proves that he is, then he isn't, so making fun of him is completely justified.

Vastardikai
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually, had he not punched Mir in the back of the head, he very well could have won that fight.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Most of you don't know shit about MMA, obv..

Lesnar looked really good against a former heavyweight champ and prolly one of the BEST heavyweight Jujitsu fighters of all time.. Mir has one of the best guards in the game and true wrestlers usually have trouble protecting the legs on the ground against Jujitsu guys.. Lesnar should have slowed it down and if he had been more patient and if they hadn't stopped the fight for that punch to the back of the head, he had Mir on shakey legs within the first minute.. He was also able to take him down at will.. Lesnar is gonna be a beast in the heavyweight division but he need much more experience.. And as I said earlier, he was fighting a former UFC HVW Champ not just some jobber they feed to him.. I think it was good for UFC cause Mir looked good getting the win against this new contender making his comeback legit, while Brock dominated most of the fight but got caught in a tricky submission..

Also, if anyone thinks he's one and done, you are retarded.. EVERY fighter loses fight.. EVERY fighter.. Brock said in an interview that if UFC had been the powerhouse it is now, and could have offered him the money he's getting now, there's no way he'd ever have gone into prowrestling out of college..

You guys should stick to discussing fake fighting cause you really have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to the real thing..

Most of you don't know shit about having a little harmless fun at someone's expense. I have not see anyone here say that Brock Lesnar was shit. It's just fun to make fun of him because he lost, when most people thought he was going to win.

As I said, I don't need to be an MMA expert to know that Mir bested Lesnar here. That's a fact. Mir wins.

And Lesnar being "one and done" has nothing to do with UFC not wanting him, but rather Lesnar's proven attitude towards life. Wasn't football "his dream?" The guy also got into MMA because of his WWE career. Sure, he might have developed an interest in MMA in some sort of backwards world, but they would not have offered him as much money as he's getting right now if it weren't for his wrestling career.

Lesnar is a glory hog, and if he doesn't get glory in MMA, I don't think he will stick to it long.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Why make fun of him? He put up a good fight against a former heavyweight champion. Mir's only offense was the one hold that won it for him.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Noid, you are really defensive.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, but he doesn't have any one fight that's a must win, and that's what you said about Mir/Lesnar II. You can have an amazing match and still lose, and in this case, even if he loses, he looks good for standing on solid ground.

Now, if he looked worse against Mir a second time, that would be a problem. Butmerely losing? No.

It wouldn't be over for Lesnar if he lost, but I interpreted what Carl said as a second loss to Mir being far more embarrassing than his first loss to him. I'd agree with that sentiment.

The Gold Standard
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I feel like he had Mir where he wanted him but he just did not know what to do with him. He only had one other fight. He will get better.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Why make fun of him? He put up a good fight against a former heavyweight champion. Mir's only offense was the one hold that won it for him.

As I said, because everyone said Lesnar would win (except for the jokers who were convinced that Lesnar was going to bomb in MMA because he's failed at everything except wrestling), and he didn't. Sure, Lesnar dominated, but he still lost. It was a rookie mistake, something experience will hopefully iron out, but Lesnar is not as impressive as everyone said he would be. What would be as impressive would have been Lesnar getting all the offence, and then actually winning.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lesnar is bigger than Mir, yes? Taking this into account, Lesnar's confidence in being on the offence would be greater, as he's got size on his side. I'm not suggesting guys actually use the Homer Simpson style of fighting, but given Mir's specialties in submission, Lesnar being the bigger of the two and Mir keeping his cool and getting the leg out of nowhere, it could be hypothetically suggested that Mir was in more control than people observe.

Lesnar got caught, but Mir also caught him. All you have to go by is who win, and in this case it was Mir. I'm not saying that Lesnar absolutely won't have a successful MMA career, and that he is a joke. I'm just laughing at the guy's expense. Why? Because it's another avenue the man has claimed he was destined to do, and that he is not doing as well as he theoretically could in.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not talking to you about this any more. Lesnar is still a beast.

JT
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
As I said, because everyone said Lesnar would win (except for the jokers who were convinced that Lesnar was going to bomb in MMA because he's failed at everything except wrestling), and he didn't. Sure, Lesnar dominated, but he still lost. It was a rookie mistake, something experience will hopefully iron out, but Lesnar is not as impressive as everyone said he would be. What would be as impressive would have been Lesnar getting all the offence, and then actually winning.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lesnar is bigger than Mir, yes? Taking this into account, Lesnar's confidence in being on the offence would be greater, as he's got size on his side. I'm not suggesting guys actually use the Homer Simpson style of fighting, but given Mir's specialties in submission, Lesnar being the bigger of the two and Mir keeping his cool and getting the leg out of nowhere, it could be hypothetically suggested that Mir was in more control than people observe.

Lesnar got caught, but Mir also caught him. All you have to go by is who win, and in this case it was Mir. I'm not saying that Lesnar absolutely won't have a successful MMA career, and that he is a joke. I'm just laughing at the guy's expense. Why? Because it's another avenue the man has claimed he was destined to do, and that he is not doing as well as he theoretically could in.

People weren't saying he was going to win. I recall when the match was announced, everyone started talking about Mir beating his ass. Then a few people on here like Kane Knight and WWKD (I think Kevin said it at least) started saying that Lesnar had a better shot than people thought...and he did.

People thought that Mir was out of it, but Mir trained hard and studied Lesnar. Lesner also trained hard, but you could tell from the interviews he did that he didn't mentally prepare for this passed "I'm beating Mir up". But one thing I did respect was when asked about winning, he said "I want to win, but if I lose I lose. Just means I have to get better". He said this after the match as well, meaning even in defeat he's excited for more (though I hope he realizes his paychecks won't be as big).

PS: Brock was bigget, but didn't appear so by much. They seem to have the same size muscle, and Brock only seemed a few inches bigger.

El Fangel
02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I think Brock had an amazing showing though.

Londoner
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not talking to you about this any more. Lesnar is still a beast.

I havent seen the fight yet,tho theyre showing the ppv itsself on bravo atm, but i dont doubt brock was a tough opponent in that match, i bet he even says the other guy got 'lucky'. ill be anxiously flicking between that and the superbowl.

HeartBreakMan2k
02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I havent seen the fight yet,tho theyre showing the ppv itsself on bravo atm, but i dont doubt brock was a tough opponent in that match, i bet he even says the other guy got 'lucky'. ill be anxiously flicking between that and the superbowl.

Nah, he outright said it is what it is and Mir was the better fighter.

McLegend
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I believe Cro Cop is washed up

Heyman
02-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree with everything that Kris P Lettus and Anybody Thrilla have said in this thread.

Destor
02-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Heyman knows

What Would Kevin Do?
02-04-2008, 02:40 AM
People weren't saying he was going to win. I recall when the match was announced, everyone started talking about Mir beating his ass. Then a few people on here like Kane Knight and WWKD (I think Kevin said it at least) started saying that Lesnar had a better shot than people thought...and he did.

People thought that Mir was out of it, but Mir trained hard and studied Lesnar. Lesner also trained hard, but you could tell from the interviews he did that he didn't mentally prepare for this passed "I'm beating Mir up". But one thing I did respect was when asked about winning, he said "I want to win, but if I lose I lose. Just means I have to get better". He said this after the match as well, meaning even in defeat he's excited for more (though I hope he realizes his paychecks won't be as big).

PS: Brock was bigget, but didn't appear so by much. They seem to have the same size muscle, and Brock only seemed a few inches bigger.

I don't recall saying that. I remember when it was first announced he was going to MMA, and was being trained by Gracie, a lot of people were going on about how great he would do, and how amazing he'd be, and some others were saying he'd absolutely bomb, and I took the middle ground. If I recall correctly, I pretty much said he'd be good, but he wasn't going to come in and simply destroy everyone in his path.

As far as the Mir fight, exactly what I thought happened, happened. Brock went in like a beast, but he was too over-zealous and it cost him. He was too confident and went to the ground to fast with Mir. Mir has far more experience on the ground. When Mir went down the second time, Brock really should have let him get back up. Brock should have nailed a few more solid blows before following Mir down to the ground. Brock wasn't horrible on the ground either, but the hesitation cst him, because despite the beating, Mir was still on his game enough to lock the leg.

Extreme Angle
02-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Brock was all over him then wham, leg lock...

Dave Youell
02-04-2008, 03:03 AM
LOL, why the fuck is anyone thinking Lesnar would quite, he made $250,000 just for showing up on Saturday night, he would of doubled it if he won, why would he walk away from that?

I agree with what more people are saying, looked better than expected, got caught, game over.

Based on the limited 2 fights I've seen, he seems to have no submission work in him, but I love ground and pounders, so that's fine by me :)

What Would Kevin Do?
02-04-2008, 03:07 AM
http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50633&highlight=Brock

That's the original "How will Brock do?" thread.

Pretty much exactly what I thought would happen, minus the fact that I honestly thought they'd give him a feeder guy or two first. But like I said near the end of the thread, he'd get in over his head in a match with someone better with him, and the inexperience would show through.

With that said though, his showing was A LOT better than I thought it would be when he got into that situation. I also find it ironic that in the thread above I was questioning his striking ability, and in this one I'm saying "he should have stuck to his striking game a little longer."

Volare
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Referee Steve Mazagatti, **IMO** is one of the worst refs that UFC has. I've never seen a ref stop a fight to deduct points with no shown warnings, and on top of that stands both fighters up...from what i've seen in stoped fights they restart at the last position they were in I.E. Brock on top of Mir in a seated position.

Kris P Lettus
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
The guy also got into MMA because of his WWE career.

NO, he got into MMA because of his college wrestling career.. He said in an interview that he wanted to go into MMA right out of college, but it wasn't near as popular then as it is now, so he went to WWF for the money..

Fox
02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
People can bitch about the referee all they want; the finish was still clean. Yeah, the douche bag made a questionable call and stood both men back up AND removed a point, but what happened next? Brock knocked Frank on his ass with another punch and then jumped on him again, he had him back down.

Brock was way over confident and green, and a combination of those two things can be really harmful, which is exactly what happened with that knee lock. Brock needed to pace himself more and keep things standing as much as possible. As a wrestler, his instinct is to go for the take down, but the problem is that it takes a lot of hits to get the decision win off a guy like Frank Mir. You can't bully that shit out of Frank Mir; at least not in the first minute of the first round.

Lesnar was absolutely dominant for the first 30 seconds, just killing on Mir. But he got overconfident, he wasn't paying close enough attention to the leg positioning of Mir, who he should have known is a master of jiujitsu and could take him down with a submission in a very wide variety of ways, and he got caught.

Still, that was just fight #2. If Brock can stick it out and keep progressing and fighting more and more guys, in the next year he's going to be a real force to be reckoned with.

Destor
02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
The fight could've have ended if the ref didn't stand them up. Maybe, probably not. But it's worth bitching about.

addy2hotty
02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I can't believe he tapped to a knee lock. He NEVER tapped out to Kurt's ankle lock when he was in it far longer.

Kris P Lettus
02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I can't believe he tapped to a knee lock. He NEVER tapped out to Kurt's ankle lock when he was in it far longer.

lol