PDA

View Full Version : Who here understands musical theory?

Indifferent Clox
02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Would someone who can teach me about Music Theory Please PM me, I have been looking all over and nothing is really saying it in a way that I understand, I know the terms but I guess I need practical stuff, I can write music but only because I know what sounds good, I want to be able to write music without even having an instrument. Complex deep stuff.

El Vaquero de Infierno
02-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Have you not tried music theory books?

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 09:20 AM
I understand music theory, having spent 3 years on it in college.

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Though let me say this: you're going about this wrong.

The Mask
02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
To further KK's point, you're going about this wrong. you need to be musical first.

BigDaddyCool
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
What kind of job does musical theory get you?

.44 Magdalene
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Lol, this just keeps getting funnier.

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 12:09 PM
To further KK's point, you're going about this wrong. you need to be musical first.

Yeah, theory ain't gonna help you in this case.

What kind of job does musical theory get you?

I can answer that in six words: Would You Like Fries With That?

Anyway, theory of itself isn't generally what you go for. Usually, theory is a means to further yourself for production, composition, recording, etc. degrees.

Of course, I'm a journalist and a wannabe author, which will tell you about the job prospects.

Yeah, it does.

BigDaddyCool
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I can answer that in six words: Would You Like Fries With That?

Anyway, theory of itself isn't generally what you go for. Usually, theory is a means to further yourself for production, composition, recording, etc. degrees.

Of course, I'm a journalist and a wannabe author, which will tell you about the job prospects.

Wait, so did you go to wannabe author school instead of just writting a book? I've written a book, I didn't need to go to no writting school.

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Nope. No writing school. Couple of English classes I took as a music major, and I don't even use that.

BigDaddyCool
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Why didn't you go to school for something that would get you a job, like a doctor or accountant or astronaught?

The Mask
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
i ask myself the same thing quite often :(

BigDaddyCool
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I didn't spell astronaught right, did I?

Blue Demon
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
I didn't spell astronaught right, did I?

Astronaut

BigDaddyCool
02-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Dreadnaught?

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Supernaut.

ron the dial
02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
NAUT ON MY WATCH

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
That one was quite good.

ron the dial
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
lol musical theory

worry about musical talent first

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
lol musical theory

worry about musical talent first

Actually, I kinda hope he doesn't listen to us.

Watching him get constantly shot down by people and getting pissy over said reactions is pretty funny.

Kane Knight
02-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Actually, his poetry was a lot better when I was picturing someone else singing it.

Not good, mind, just better.

ron the dial
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
As you have pointed out before, too much alliteration. Plus, it sounds a lot like what I used to write in high school (aka terrible).

Indifferent Clox
02-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Well I think I'll just be happy with the positive critisism I've gotten from people who are actually making money off their poetry who say mine is amazing.

I'd also like to see this shit you wrote in High School and honestly compare it with this:

Unreleased- my favorite thing I ever wrote

I believe in you like some people believe in God. Undoubtedly, despite all evidence against it.
You speak the light into my eyes after a long darkness, and they burn.
You part the waters that exist between my subconscious and my soul.
You resurrect me on all those days when I feel like I've been crucified.
But you will one day destroy my world, and I shouldn't hold onto you that tight, but it's faith, you know?
You're the one who cast me into this love slavery, and I must escape my bondage to wonder in the wilderness surviving on some strange mana anxiously awaiting this promise land I may not live to see.
And you're the one who decided to sacrifice me for whatever reason, I suppose to save humanity .
So I'm a blind faith atheist with a Jesus complex, thanks.
And love is war, no matter how cliche that is.
But before the battles I bow to you still.
And when I hear death rattles and I make that kill, I know that you're the one my conquests will be in the name of,
You send out angels to my head and they tell me to spread the lead.
There are no ten commandments with you, because you break all the rules, and sin can't exist if God does everything. I guess my sin is eating meat, smoking, drinking and not always knowing that you're always right.
So I'm gonna stand on a stage and read this to everyone, my confession to the priests who unkowningly serve you, if they haven't fucked you, then they aren't in your presence, but a concept of you is in their heads somewhere.
So baptize me and cleanse me of all you don't do.
And your need for space from me is only because I've drifted, your hand is so obviously unchanging.
So go out and convert those heathens who haven't tasted your grace, and I'll serve other gods and worship false idols, because that's somehow in your grand scheme of redemption.
And just like God in my time of need you are gone.
Because what I need and what is right is so opposite we can't live in this house together,
Your church is a telephone, your altar a car, this house is a synogogue because it's where you are, and the holiest of holies that i yearn to reach I used to go every night, now it's not even once a week.
But I guess that's the progression. you drift and you come back, but when I die will you greet me with "well done my good and faithful servent" or will I spend eternity without you on fire with desire.
That flame that represents the truth of what I really wanted and was too blind to see. And if you can heal the sick, then why the fuck not me?
And I know you aren't god but it's a suitable metaphor because when I lose my faith, the firstborn lamb's blood will be painted on the door.

I think it's hilarious that everyone says mine sucks, but I've never seen anyone on here post better. So untill you step up, fuck you guys.

Indifferent Clox
02-06-2008, 01:18 AM
and in case you think I'm a one hit wonder

Burst

Where the moon meets sky I sit and watch

I do not let the air pass through me

I suffocate

but not for self deprication, no

Instead I am filled with all that is you, all that is me

this is my oxygen

I need nothing less

but you need something more

And that is okay

I do not wish to steal

I do not wish to be anything other than all that I am

and as such I write

Follow:

If love isn't a dream

I'm neither dreamer nor lover

I look up and scream

"Sun, why do you cover,

my body with light, but not my inside?"

Does this irony escape everyone else?

Is this too much a question of physicality

or not enough a question of lust?

Controversy, escapism, philosophy, fear

Darkness and pain and all that is drear

these things are the focus of all of kinds of art

Oh and when your muse is not providing her heart.

Solice lies somewhere secretly seeking someone to soothe

My boots are blood covered, this gets her in the mood

and as we sit spaced in capitilist caves

heaven on earth, to those depraved

sucking on stuff that causes a crash

but now where there are leaves

later a rash

Oh but were it not for this doom fated night

Would my hold on your heart be nearly as tight?

But life is not speculative, even though mirrors exist

reflecting what? but the lips that you'd kiss

The chest that you'd lay against

the legs that you'd sit upon

the hair that you'd pull

but not my heart, not my soul

those are things seen in mirrors of mind

when sitting where the moon meets the greyiest of skies

Oh for a trip back to the consumerist pit

to the place where my car was filled with your spit

and even in things which most find disgust

in vomit, in blood, in decay, and rust

Beauty exists even in the betrayed

and games garner wages when properly played

Ah but if roles where switched

with me and your lover

I'd be more than pissed

And for this I lie and for this I'm silent

except when my inner poet, the child you say, I cannot quiet

I try, I do, and fate is my foe

for I see you in darkness, your dress falls slow

and I bite my lip

I bleed from my tongue

But I am unable to stop what may come

and I apologize for this

I am not innocent

my charecter suffers

my din has a dent

and never as much as I wish I could fall

do I spin and land, ending in crawl

Down on my knees outside your home

like Romeo, stabbed, and hating this all

Oh moon, oh rose, oh muse, oh flayer

my heart is yours, but that is not fair

I cannot give you this for there is no trade

even if you wouldst

You cannot betray

and so my poem decreases to this

another song about a boy who just wants a kiss.

Another song about a girl who can't grant his wish.

ron the dial
02-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Just because I recognize my own limitations as a writer does not take away my ability to see other's. Should I stop criticizing the books that I read because I haven't written one? I don't like what you write, whether it gets praise from "money making" artists or not. And I threw my high school gibberish in the trash.

Indifferent Clox
02-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Aight well, just because you gave up and thought you sucked, doesn't mean you should criticize me, especially in a thread that had nothing to do with it, and tell me, honestly, did you write anything nearly as good as that first thing in high school?

As much neg shit I get from some of you bitches, I get a lot of people saying it's really good as well, so I really don't care. I honestly think I've grown up and don't really care about this TPWW bullshit anymore. I'm gonna go practice music. This message board is a waste of time, no one ever answers your questions and usually when they do it's sarcastically and without even reading the whole initial post. worthless. I might come to the It's Time chats. But seriously this place is getting pretty lame lately.

ron the dial
02-06-2008, 01:31 AM
What I did in high school is irrelevant. Probably was worse. Who cares? I don't claim to have ever been good. Have fun practicing.

.44 Magdalene
02-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Kane Knight
02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Aight well, just because you gave up and thought you sucked, doesn't mean you should criticize me, especially in a thread that had nothing to do with it, and tell me, honestly, did you write anything nearly as good as that first thing in high school?

As much neg shit I get from some of you bitches, I get a lot of people saying it's really good as well, so I really don't care. I honestly think I've grown up and don't really care about this TPWW bullshit anymore. I'm gonna go practice music. This message board is a waste of time, no one ever answers your questions and usually when they do it's sarcastically and without even reading the whole initial post. worthless. I might come to the It's Time chats. But seriously this place is getting pretty lame lately.

I was writing better shit than that in Third Grade. :D

But your sucking isn't what I wanted to address. I wanted to address your grasp on reality. Clox, the site isn't sucking, you are. You've been a horrendous douchebag, and so you're not going to get much help.

There's also the fact that currently, you're asking a stupid question. Or a question for a stupid reason. But that's not the crucial issue.

The crucial thing is that this board is, in fact, helpful to those who aren't complete jerkoffs. It's not the board. It's you.

The fact remains that you didn't post your work on a board full of these professionals you claim to have gotten praise from. You posted here. You got a lot of negativity because real people really didn't like it. Well, that and you're a total fucking wanker. You took it to heart and spazzed, but you continued to post stuff. Why?

(Hypothesis: You're lying)

The reality is, you're just not that good. If you can't take comments like that, you shouldn't be sharing your work. If you can't take the heat, as they say, stay the fuck out of the kitchen. But don't spazz out at people because they think you suck. You do.

.44 Magdalene
02-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I really don't need to make a movie to prove that Uwe Boll sucks, nor do I need to be president to prove that Bush is bad at his job sometimes.

Nobody's jumping in line to post poetry: Newsflash, doesn't change the fact that you suck.

Kane Knight
02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I really don't need to make a movie to prove that Uwe Boll sucks, nor do I need to be president to prove that Bush is bad at his job sometimes.

Nobody's jumping in line to post poetry: Newsflash, doesn't change the fact that you suck.

And if you can't take it, don't post looking for criticism for fucks sake. He got what he asked for, and in response, started to attack the people whose opinions he wanted.

The Mask
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
your poetry is horribly cliched rubbish. but i'm not a big fan of poetry as it is. i don't really give a crap if people who get paid to write poetry like your work cause as far as i'm concerned it's a pointless activity prone to much backslapping and circle jerking.

your target audience of emotionally stunted 15 year old girls who only get their own way 98% of the time will love it though.

cheers.

Kane Knight
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
That was so deep, man...:'(

Can we have sex?