PDA

View Full Version : WWE severs ties with OVW

KingofOldSchool
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Source: Pwinsider

Basically the reason given is that they wanted all their talent in one place and it made more sense to have the talent in Florida, because so many stars live down there so it would be easy for them to visit and pass along advice. All talent from OVW will head there and there will be no releases as a result of the transfer. Steve Keirn, Tom Prichard, Billy Kidman and a fourth name Pwinsider has yet to confirm will be the trainers. OVW talent will work a few more weeks there to finish up, before moving.

There have been rumblings about this for a while now. It's a damn shame that this is happening since OVW has put on some quality shows for years.

Maybe Cornette can take over again and use OVW as a feeder fed for TNA.

Gerard
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Kidmans a trainer? Hope he doesn't teach anyone his version of the shooting star press, i dunno why that ever became his finisher he rarely ever hit it properly, always at an angle which mean knees coming closer to opponents head.

Heros Welcome
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Can't be a promising future for talent being trained by Billy Kidman.

Innovator
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Well they can learn how to hurt people with shooting stars

Kane Knight
02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
OVW can never top their contribution of Cena.

Rob
02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Can't be a promising future for talent being trained by Billy Kidman.

Why not?

Destor
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
:(

BigDaddyCool
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe Cornette can take over again and use OVW as a feeder fed for TNA.

I thought they were using WWE as a feeder?

What Would Kevin Do?
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Well they can learn how to hurt people with shooting stars

Kidman might want to take SSP lessons from Matt Sydal. Goddamn he has the prettiest shooting star in the business.

Heros Welcome
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Why not?

We'll Kidman wasn't a bad worker, I'm just picturing him trying to tell Sydal that his SS is the proper way to do it.

Heros Welcome
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Kidman might want to take SSP lessons from Matt Sydal. Goddamn he has the prettiest shooting star in the business.

Agreed!

Destor
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Al Snow has been released due to this. That makes 7 so far.

FourFifty
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM

Video please:y:

thecc
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4tXstoUUp0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4tXstoUUp0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

McLegend
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I called this months ago, thank you.

Chavo Classic
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
It is beautiful, and deadly - Like a hot chick with AIDS.

KingofOldSchool
02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I called this months ago, thank you.

Like I said, there were rumors about this for months.

McLegend
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Like I said, there were rumors about this for months.

Don't rain on my Parade.

Mr. Nerfect
02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, you could have seen it coming. It's a damn shame, because OVW has always been the "better" territory whenever the WWE has had two going. I'm willing to bet it's still a better product than FCW (which seems to change around guys' characters every week).

When OVW consisted of The Revolution, The Lords of the Ring, Synn's Disciples, etc., it was a damn fine little promotion. When Paul Heyman started writing for them, there was some fucking fantastic stuff on the show. Seriously, it was better than the WWE.

Vince perhaps wonders why the territory has not been as impressive recently? Maybe it's because you took everyone from OVW, and either called them up to the WWE too soon, or moved them to DSW/FCW so you actually have somewhere there.

Reading a little more into this, though, it is practical to have a developmental territory in Florida. A lot of veterans live there, and can help train the guys. I don't think the WWE should put all their eggs in one basket, though. DSW folded, and I can see FCW doing the same.

OVW would have been fine if they had kept Al Snow around, and got some Kentucky/Ohio natives like Doug Basham, Rob Conway and Nick Dinsmore under contract to train guys there. No, I'm not saying make either guy a world champion, so shut the fuck up, I'm saying that they could have helped guys develop, and provided at least three constant performers for OVW to run with, while you rape it for talent.

The Optimist
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Kidmans a trainer? Hope he doesn't teach anyone his version of the shooting star press, i dunno why that ever became his finisher he rarely ever hit it properly, always at an angle which mean knees coming closer to opponents head.
It's pretty. It's much like Jeff Hardy's "Swanton Bomb" in that the high angle makes it especially appealing. Though Hardy almost never fucks his up. But to be honest, I've never seen Kidman fuck up a Shooting Star either.

Xerzes
02-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Weak. Friend of mine lives in Louisville and goes to OVW shows all the time.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-08-2008, 05:05 AM
I know one was already posted, but this MV has some nice clips of Sydal's shooting star in it, especially the ones where he grabs his ankles

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbhutdpT2aM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbhutdpT2aM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If Sydal could get a good gimmick and get good on the mic, he could go places. While his style isn't WWE's style, he is amazingly crisp. He's what Jack Evans wishes he could be.

KingofOldSchool
02-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Don't rain on my Parade.

I'm going to rain on your parade with piss and vinegar.

Chavo Classic
02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
DAMN! Sydal!

Mr. Nerfect
02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
The thing I've noticed about Matt Sydal, is that his style is actually very appropriate for the WWE, believe it or not. Sure, he's a little guy, but his moves are very...well, really, quite standard. They have their own flare, though.

For example, Sydal's standing moonsault is just different from everyone else's, because of the tuck he does. He's got that reverse corner bulldog The Miz does, and his moves are generally pulled off with flash and flare, whilst not being your usually flippy fare.

He should be getting the push Kofi Kingston is currently getting. Not that Kofi does not deserve it, but rather, Kofi should be getting pushed based on his character and put in a feud with someone straight away, whereas Sydal is going to get over for his in-ring stylings which are actually innovative in the WWE sense, but also innovative enough in general. I don't care what Joey Styles & Tazz tell me, a crossbody and an arm drag is something I've seen before.

I must say this, though: I am still a bigger fan of Paul London's Shooting Star Press than Matt Sydal's. London's is a sex in top rope move form. If only he were allowed to do it. If only he were allowed to do anything, really.

Porcupine
02-09-2008, 06:05 PM
The thing I've noticed about Matt Sydal, is that his style is actually very appropriate for the WWE, believe it or not. Sure, he's a little guy, but his moves are very...well, really, quite standard. They have their own flare, though.

For example, Sydal's standing moonsault is just different from everyone else's, because of the tuck he does. He's got that reverse corner bulldog The Miz does, and his moves are generally pulled off with flash and flare, whilst not being your usually flippy fare.

He should be getting the push Kofi Kingston is currently getting. Not that Kofi does not deserve it, but rather, Kofi should be getting pushed based on his character and put in a feud with someone straight away, whereas Sydal is going to get over for his in-ring stylings which are actually innovative in the WWE sense, but also innovative enough in general. I don't care what Joey Styles & Tazz tell me, a crossbody and an arm drag is something I've seen before.

I must say this, though: I am still a bigger fan of Paul London's Shooting Star Press than Matt Sydal's. London's is a sex in top rope move form. If only he were allowed to do it. If only he were allowed to do anything, really.

Well, he did have a year long tag title reign or so.

I don't see why people feel London has been poorly used....

Mr. Nerfect
02-09-2008, 06:08 PM
It's pretty. It's much like Jeff Hardy's "Swanton Bomb" in that the high angle makes it especially appealing. Though Hardy almost never fucks his up. But to be honest, I've never seen Kidman fuck up a Shooting Star either.

I do believe that Kidman almost killed Chavo Guerrero with one.

I believe that Billy Kidman is actually a damn fine wrestler, though. I've found myself really, really enjoying his work. He knows what he is doing (in general), and his matches in the WWE are often a lot of fun. See: his cruiserweight stuff, his tag team matches with Rey Mysterio against The World's Greatest Tag Team and his shit with Paul London.

I'd rather see Billy Kidman re-signed to an on-screen WWE role, though. The man would be great for a cruiserweight division relaunch. They need someone in there who has been a Cruiserweight Champion before. As much as I love Funaki and Nunzio, they are not really credible enough. Guys like Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Gregory Helms, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Jamie Noble and to a certain extent, Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore, have all grown beyond the division, and should be allowed to keep going in their main event, tag team and miscellaneous mid-card roles. Billy Kidman would be a great former Cruiserweight Champion to revive the divison. Matt Sydal would be a damn fine inclusion in it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, he did have a year long tag title reign or so.

I don't see why people feel London has been poorly used....

I was referring to the present tense. You know, how Paul London & Brian Kendrick are doing almost literally nothing on RAW?

McLegend
02-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm going to rain on your parade with piss and vinegar.

You son of a bitch

addy2hotty
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Just a related question from an ignorant Brit, but are these shows on TV in the States?