PDA

View Full Version : The Random Movie Recommendations Thread

Triple A
02-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Audition - weird as fuck Japanese movie. The second half is a surreal nightmare. Really fucked up and amazing. You won't be able to turn away.

Buffalo '66 - Another weird ass movie. One of my favs ever. Vincent Gallo kidnaps Christina Ricci and forces her to pretend she is his girlfriend to impress his parents. He wants to kill a fictional Scott Norwood for losing the Super Bowl for the Bills.

Capturing the Friedmans - Amazing documentary. A father and his son are accused of molesting several young boys and the effect it has on the family. Basically evidence from both sides and it is just fascinating I don't know.

Glengarry Glen Ross - Amazing. Such a simple but amazinggggggg movie. The cast is incredible. Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin. Gil from the Simpsons is based on Jack Lemmon's character in this movie, and "A-B-C, always be closing" is from this one. Tremendousssss movie.

Lilja 4-ever - Most "powerful" movie I have ever seen. Fuckin made me cry. I have recommended this movie to like 5 people, and it made them all cry. Freakin crazy depressing movie. It is so good though. Impossible to not like this movie really.

Little Children - This came out a couple of years ago. SO GOOD. Just look it up, it's freakin great.

Open Your Eyes - A guy is real good looking, gets all the girls, etc. Then he breaks up with a girl but she goes crazy and drives off a bridge and his face gets horrible disfigured and everyone starts to hate him. Vanilla Sky was a remake of this. this is way better imo. Such a perfect movie. Like if I made this movie, I would be so proud of it.

Palindromes - A 13 year old girl is obsessed with having a baby but her parents make her get an abortion so she runs away from home. Her character is played by a bunch of different actors, including 13 year old girls, a boy, and a huge ass black woman.

Freaks - If you haven't seen this movie, you def have to watch it. 1932 film about circus sideshow freaks. It's like no other movie ever, really. Def must see.

The Man Who Wasn't There - Coen brothers movie starring Billy Bob Thornton. He is a barber who wants to start his own dry cleaning business but then everything systematically falls apart in his life. Doesn't sound great from the way I explain it but it's so bizarre and just the way the whole movie plays out is so perfect.

Dead Ringers - one of the weirdest movies I've seen. Not weird in a typical way either. Can't even describe it. Something about this fucking movie is like so eerie. The plot is this: Identical twin gynecologists... one of them is crazy confident and gets all the girls, and the other is extremely shy and quiet. The confident one gives the shy one his girls when he gets tired of them. They eventually both start to like this one actress they meet, but she is addicted to some pills and they both get addicted and just start going completely insane and I don't know. Can't even describe this movie.

Thoughts/recommend your own movies

FakeLaser
02-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Gonna put some up in here when I am not "fucked up"

I like yr. suggestions though and have seen some of them already. I will try and see them all before my day is done.

mitch_h
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah all those movies are good to great, although I'm not sure how I feel about Little Children. I don't know, I felt like it went over my head or somthing. I think it's the way Field balanced satire with melodrama. I think one of the reviewers said something along the lines of " Little Children preaches liberation and delivers only puritanism." I kind of felt that way.

Dead Ringers and Glengarry Glenn Ross are absolutely perfect though. Here are my reccomendations.

McCabe and Mrs Miller - Revisionist western. Warren Beatty plays this lucky, overconfident charmer who runs a whorehouse with an entrepreneurial prostitute(Julie Christie). Bleak, atmospheric film that makes no attempt to glamorize the west.

A Women Under the Influence - Greatest movie ever made, by the greatest director ever. A hauntingly real look at the breakdown of a suburban housewife... it's so much more than that though.

Stroszek - Three people from Germany come to America expecting riches and success. The ending is unbelievable. Fun Fact: Ian Curtis of Joy Division watched this movie before killing himself.

Even Dwarfs Started Small - Weirdest movie ever made, coincidently it reminds me of Freaks. The cast is entirely made up of little people(midgets).

Days of Heaven - Malick is a great filmmaker and this film is beautiful.

Overnight - An entertaining documentary about the director of Boondock Saints(shitty movie). He basically fucks everything up and is a huge asshole.

Jeritron
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I see we all think we're artsy

Jeritron
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm gonna be a layman and reccomend Sunshine

ct2k
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Public Enemy - Korean cop film, good sheeit:y:

Triple A
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
mitch, I hvaen't seen any of those movies, but I am going to add them all to my Netflix queue. :y:

ct2k
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Also some of you will definitely have seen it but the Belgian movie 'Man Bites Dog', pretty sick-hilarious precursor to the Tarantino era, he cites it as a major influence. Its this mockumentary where this film crew follow a serial killer around as he kills, chats about how he and why he does it as well as absolutely random shite and just yeah, good shit:y:

FakeLaser
02-14-2008, 03:00 PM
See I was talking about Stroszek the other day.

WestNZ
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Cool Runnings

Jura
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Lars And The Real Girl -

http://i29.tinypic.com/20k8z5u.jpg

Plot: A lonely, delusional young man buys a life-size sex doll on the Internet and falls in love with her, telling people it’s his girlfriend. His brother and sister-in-law step in to help him with his delusion.

And the whole town goes along with it to help him get better. I don't know if it's intentionally funny but it made me laugh a lot.

NeanderCarl
02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Final Cut and Love, Honour and Obey.

Two low budget British comedy films from the same cast and crew (who also brought us the underrated sitcom Operation Good Guys). Jude Law's only good movies.

Triple A
02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah Lars and the Real Girl was real good.

Jura
02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Survive Style +5

Blitz
02-15-2008, 04:03 AM
The Nines. Just watched this tonight. I can't even really describe the plot without spoiling the whole flick, but it stars Ryan Reynolds and he's pretty damn good in it. If you like mindfuck flicks, give this one a shot.

Here's the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/newmarket/thenines/trailer/

ct2k
02-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Final Cut and Love, Honour and Obey.

Two low budget British comedy films from the same cast and crew (who also brought us the underrated sitcom Operation Good Guys). Jude Law's only good movies.

Not seen Final Cut but yeah I enjoy LHAO, Fat Alan alone makes it worth watching:D