PDA

View Full Version : Why does ROH suck so badly with promotion?

JT
02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
I think ROH might be facing the same problem that ECW faced...increadible shows but lack of business skills. I find ROH to be TERRIBLE when it comes to promoting shows. I mean word of mouth is cool, but if people don't know about shows then how will the watch?

I mentioned in the past about the two times ROH held events in my home town. The first time I found out about it, I just had happen to come to the building the show was at and saw a sign saying "ROH". Other than that, I had see no commercials on television, nothing on the radio...not even a flyer in the window of local stores. If I hadn't been there, I wouldn't have known about it at all.

Second time, ROH had one commercial play in the area a few days before the event. Granted, a little better than last time...but it would have been nice if the commercial would have said "PPV Taping". Might have attracted a larger audience. V_V

Now, as reports claim, their PPVs have been thrown off the air in Canada because of 36 total buys...FOR CANADA! This isn't a percentage...they literally only had 36 buys. Even worst in the US, one major cable provider only reported a total of 19 buys. I mean, you're trying to expand to new viewers and make more revenue...you would think you would market the shit a little better.

But hey, that's just my opinion.:nono:

St. Jimmy
02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I know who you CAN'T blame: Jimmy Jacobs.

Kane Knight
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
It was 36 buys for ONE major cable company, not for Canadia.

Xero
02-15-2008, 04:29 PM
It was 36 buys for ONE major cable company, not for Canadia.

Yeah, because the 100 other Canadians really made a difference.

Kane Knight
02-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Anyway, I'm not sure that more promotion is the answer, since they appeal to a primarily "smark" audience. These people don't need much promotion, and you aren't going to drag many casuals into such events.

Kane Knight
02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, because the 100 other Canadians really made a difference.It was probably more like 40. But honestly, in the low buyrates, this was a singular low, so pretend that this was all Canadia got is dishonest. Keep in mind also, that TNA's buyrates actually aren't much higher up there.

Stickman
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Has anybody outside of IWC heard of ROH?

Chavo Classic
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Has anybody outside of IWC heard of ROH?

Probably not. And if they have, they've probably dismissed it almost instantly. Let's not forget - ROH was born of the internet and smarks.

Porcupine
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I think ROH can be a bigger sucess and really step into the path to being a legitimate threat if they rename themselves from Ring Of Honor to Ring Of HORROR and feature such stars as Rellik (That's Killer spelled backwards!) and BLACK REIGN! This horror themed fed will get them noticed and will lead to great ratings.

:shifty:

Chavo Classic
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Ring of Herpes

Indifferent Clox
02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I know a lot of nonIWC wrestling fans who have heard of ROH. They just don't know where to go to get it except dvd sales... which ironically are all online or in chicago or borrowed from friends.

Londoner
02-15-2008, 06:16 PM
LOL fucking hell clox what happened toyour rep in such a short space of time?? (sorry just noticed...)

Back on topic, i dunno, ive never been that much of a fan of roh anyway, can see why people would like it though.

Chavo Classic
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Was there a 'neg rep Clox' thread that I missed?

Xero
02-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Every thread is a "neg rep Clox" thread.

Kane Knight
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I know a lot of nonIWC wrestling fans who have heard of ROH. They just don't know where to go to get it except dvd sales... which ironically are all online or in chicago or borrowed from friends.

Don't mistake these people for real. They're only as real as his suicide attempt and the people who think his music is good.

Kane Knight
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM

I think you underestimate Clox's ability to universally piss TPWW off. You've had people who normally like EVERYONE bitching about him in casual.

JT
02-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I starting to think I'm the only one who doesn't hate Clox here. Granted, I don't tend to read all his stuff, but nothing he's written so far has angered me. :-\

What Would Kevin Do?
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
ROH is awful at promoting, period. How they can run shows in Detroit, and not promote in Toledo (a town that usually draws well for house shows) baffles me. I tried to start a thread once at the ROH site about getting street teams, and it just faded into nothingness.

Mr. Nerfect
02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
It was probably more like 40. But honestly, in the low buyrates, this was a singular low, so pretend that this was all Canadia got is dishonest. Keep in mind also, that TNA's buyrates actually aren't much higher up there.

I'm glad you're taking this approach to it. I was almost certain that you were going to be one of those guys who laughs at ROH not doing fantastically overnight. You've earned some rep. :y:

Mr. Nerfect
02-15-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't hate Clox, either. Seems like a good bloke to me. He's just been rubbing people the wrong way, I think.

As far as promotion with ROH goes, I think their biggest fear about it, is the cost. ROH is actually really wise when it comes to business. They expand slowly, and have not really tried to bite off more than they could chew.

Unfortunately, their DVDs aren't in stores (for the most part), and they don't really advertise (probably because of the cost it would take to do so). I think the big decision ROH needs to make is whether or not it is ready to spend money to make money, as cliched as that sounds. If ROH wants to get their PPVs bought, and a TV deal where they actually get people to watch, then they should really put out some dough to get some advertisements run.

Kane Knight
02-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I starting to think I'm the only one who doesn't hate Clox here. Granted, I don't tend to read all his stuff, but nothing he's written so far has angered me. :-\

Eh. I don't hate Clox. He's pretty fucking awful, though, and most of it is because he's trying to be. He's trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, and that's going to get under a lot of people's skins.

On the other hand, if I can put up with someone posting on here as my ex's miscarried fetus, I think I can put up with Clox.

Indifferent Clox
02-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I can't believe this infiltrated into the Casual Forum...

Also I don't really get how my rep is so low, I have a few people on ignore though, and they don't show up on my rep list.

it's only -1004 which is about 3000 less what I had. I've had less before and come up from there, so I'm not worried. I just somehow tend to get a lot of flack for being somewhat extravagant in my posting style.

As, for ROH... I think they need commercials and a better website and a national year long tour or something.

Kane Knight
02-16-2008, 08:07 PM
it's only -1004 which is about 3000 less what I had. I've had less before and come up from there, so I'm not worried. I just somehow tend to get a lot of flack for being somewhat of an asshat in my posting style.