PDA

View Full Version : Tony Schiavone

Marc the Smark
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
What did you guys think of him in WCW and would you ever want to see him announcing again in WWE?

Porcupine
02-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I think that this is the greatest thread in the history of our forum! :y:

Xero
02-19-2008, 07:48 PM
He was the greatest announcer in the history of the sport!

6to1
02-19-2008, 08:19 PM
he is better then don west he can replace him in tna

weather vane
02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I think he is underrated tbh.

Fox
02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
TENAY: "And now, the nWo painting the colors on the back of Lex Luger..."

SHIAVONE: "The greatest logo in the history of WCW."

HEENAN: "It's like a gang initiation, Mikey."

TENAY: "And that's just what Hogan and his goons are, Brain. A gang."

SHIAVONE: "Greatest gang in the history of gangs."

TENAY: "But oh my goodness! Sting coming from the rafters!"

SHIAVONE: "Greatest rafters in the history-"

HEENAN: "He's flying! Look out, Hogan!"

TENAY: "He's got a baseball bat!"

SHIAVONE: "Greatest baseball bat in the history of-"

TENAY: "And down goes Hall! Down goes Bagwell! Down goes The Giant! Not even the Giant can stand up to the Stinger!!!"

SHIAVONE: "But he is the greatest big man in-"

TENAY: "Shut the fuck up, Tony, you fat piece of shit!"

BlackDawn2024
02-20-2008, 01:16 AM
"Ohhhh my, folks! He's really taking it to this thread now!"

But to tell you the truth, I didn't hate him. Him being in the WWE, I also wouldn't mind.

Rammsteinmad
02-20-2008, 02:33 AM
I think he is underrated tbh.

Anybody Thrilla
02-20-2008, 02:38 AM
As long as somebody lets him know that not every single move is called a sidewalk slam, he might be all right, but he's not gonna put any butts in seats.

The Mackem
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I like his voice, sounds stupid but I do.

Outsider
02-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I liked him. Cole doesn't put enough passion into commentating, JR doesn't put enough sense into it.

Tony did both.

Loose Cannon
02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
all kidding aside, I was a fan of his. I love over dramatic announcers for some reason. I am also a fan of JR. Like when I watch old Memphis shows, World Class, AWA, etc... I can't stand some of those announcers. Guys like Lance Russell are a good interview when he's interviewing people, but fuck, I'd have Tony calling my match any day.

Jeritron
02-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm a fan of his. In all honestly, I thought his best work was while the company was falling apart and there were quadruple swerves every 30 seconds. Some of the shit he came out with was pure gold

mrslackalack
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I always have heard that back in 2003 when J.R was off the RAW broadcasts that when Bischoff mentioned he had Schiavone is speed dial that he would come in and be the heel annoucer but WWE Producer Kevin Dunn was not a fan of Schavoines and decided to turn Coach heel instead.

Porcupine
02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I always have heard that back in 2003 when J.R was off the RAW broadcasts that when Bischoff mentioned he had Schiavone is speed dial that he would come in and be the heel annoucer but WWE Producer Kevin Dunn was not a fan of Schavoines and decided to turn Coach heel instead.

Too bad Coach still sucks. Smackdown announcing right now is atrocious.

St. Jimmy
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I think Tony was amazing. He made you believe something was happening, no matter how fucking corny it was.

Bad Company
02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, one thing I really loved about WCW was the announcing.

Theo Dious
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I think Tony was amazing. He made you believe something was happening, no matter how fucking corny it was.

Nah. He made me believe that HE believed something was happening. Which made me worry about him.

Lock Jaw
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Heel turn: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=17280476

St. Jimmy
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
LOL, That Video of Tony in TNA is HILARIOUS. If TNA did more shit like that, I would love it.

The Optimist
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
When I was watching WCW as a total mark, I loved the shit out of him. Take that as what you will.

Anybody Thrilla
02-21-2008, 02:48 AM
I really liked when Jericho called him "Skee-a-vone".

Loose Cannon
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
yea, one of the five TNA shows I ordered that year had the Tony heel turn. I thought he cut a great promo to be honest. The whole SEX vs Tradition angle was the best angle TNA has ever done in thier entire history. And I'll go as far to say it was one of the best well put together storylines in the past 10 years.

I need to really post the 7-10 minute package they put together bascially highlighting the angle up to a certain point. You'll see how much better the company was

NeanderCarl
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd take Schiavone over Cole or Styles.

Loose Cannon
02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
hell, the angle even made Sonny Siaki look like he was the next big thing or something

JeRz
02-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I too liked Schiavone's commentary. Get him to WWE and put him on SmackDown

MaverickNJ
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
He wasn't bad, but I heard he hated wrestling. Didn't Heenan trash him after the demise of WCW?

Fox
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Heenan and Mike Tenay trashed the shit out of Shiavone. Said he didn't know what he was talking about half the time, not as well educated on the wrestling business or the history of the wrestling business as either of them, and was often an air-time hog, cutting off his broadcast partners mid-sentence with one of his bland, uninteresting statements.

The man has a good broadcast voice, that's not arguable.

JT
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Too bad Coach still sucks. Smackdown announcing right now is atrocious.

And yet I still enjoy it more than TNA.

Marc the Smark
02-23-2008, 08:08 PM
WOW. I've never seen that with Schiavone because I don't watch TNA that often. That was AWESOME! Can someone fill me in on that whole angle or let me know where I can read about it?

Mr. JL
02-23-2008, 09:54 PM
He wasn't bad, but I heard he hated wrestling. Didn't Heenan trash him after the demise of WCW?

Heenan trashed him every week at least once every segment of WCW programming.

James Steele
02-23-2008, 11:27 PM
:lol: Tony needs to learn how to grow sideburns.

darkpower
02-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Actually, I think his pair up with Scott Hudson actually brought out the best in Tony.

As I've been watching the old Nitros on WWE 24/7, I wondered why I hated the guy. He always kept things interesting, he knew what he was talking about, he talked as though he gave a shit about the industry, and you ALWAYS had this feeling of something was going to happen on this very show at any time feeling with him at PBP. I had read that he didn't like what Vince Russo was doing to WCW when they were going downhill. But he seemed to really do well around Hudson (why they hired Madden, though, is beyond me).

To me, if they would replace JR with Tony, I'd be happy.

Testicle
02-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.

Is he as good as JR circa 1998, no. But, he is certainly better than the Coach/Cole tandum and IMO would do a better job than styles (simply because styles cant be himself in WWECW).

Loose Cannon
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
WOW. I've never seen that with Schiavone because I don't watch TNA that often. That was AWESOME! Can someone fill me in on that whole angle or let me know where I can read about it?

once I get internet back at my apartment, I can post a video that kind of recaps the basis of the angle.

Basically, Russo led a group that defied the TNA/NWA (remember TNA was still part of the NWA back then) Tradition and preached more of a Sports Entertainment. Wrestlers would turn thier back on the company and joined Russo in attempt to take control of TNA. Raven, AJ Styles, BG James, Sonny Siaki and more. It was very nWo-esque with a different spin on things. Jeff Jarrett was the main babyface through all of this.

The matches weren't that great here, but the promos and storylines were a lot better then today's TNA.

I thought it worked well for a while until it eventually burnt out.

Innovator
02-25-2008, 11:16 AM
It should have ended with Raven beating Jarrett