PDA

View Full Version : EA try to buy Take Two (i.e. R* et al) for $2bn - told to get bent

Mr. Monday Morning
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080224/20080224005062.html?.v=1

The full exchange of letters between the two companies is <a href="http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=43336">here</a>

Basically EA wants to buy them out, were told "thanks but no thanks" and are now bitching about it. I'm extremely skeptical to say the least as to their motives, as it's not like GTA (for the major example) needs EA to sell millions of copies.

Funky Fly
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Well they bought out BioWare not too long ago, so they're probably setting up to monopolize.

road doggy dogg
02-26-2008, 01:52 AM
EA attempting a monopoly? Surely, you jest!

El Fangel
02-26-2008, 01:53 AM

Purgatory
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
EA knows that it's not gonna be able to compete with the release of GTA IV, this most of us know already. Their offer to buy Take Two, especially wince it seemingly wasn't even up for sale to begin with, was a bold and unethical move on EA's part. Sure, they always have a right to ask but unless Take Two has been in any sort of financial trouble and was openly asking...which I'm almost certain the GTA series has pretty much kept them well above their profit margins, EA should not have bothered. So now, EA goes to other holders of Take Two stock and offers to buy THOSE shares?

I do smell an attempted monopoly here.

Kane Knight
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Requiem
02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
It doesn't sound so much a monopoly as it does to compete with Blizzard/Activision. Partner with some other huge companies and you can compete financially with those companies. Blizzard makes roughly over a billion dollars a year with -one- product. Activision owns Guitar Hero. Another recently huge name.

EA has a few big titles, but financially those titles don't keep bringing in the same big money like the other company's titles do. GTA would be a huge acquisition for them.