PDA

View Full Version : Tyson-Holyfield III?? ( "The Dessert in the Desert" )

Kris P Lettus
02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Tyson - Holyfield III in the Works?

Filed on February 28th, 2008 in Boxing (http://www.lukekohler.com/category/boxing/)

I canít believe Iím writing this, but talks are underway for a third fight (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/180578.html) between Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson. Iím not even sure what to say about this, but apparently itís true.
The story goes that Tyson had his people reach out to ďReal DealĒ to see if heíd be interested in a fight, to which Holyfield eventually said that he would be if the money was right. For years Holyfield has said that he would never fight Tyson again, but after getting his ass beat by Sultan Ibragimov, Holyfield has no other real options in boxing.
As pathetic as this fight is, it is sure to be huge. Tyson still is, and always will be, a freak show with a huge following. Holyfield vs. Tyson would be a huge pay-per-view event and would make a ton of money. Unfortunately for boxing, it would also be a terrible fight on which the whole sport is judged. Boxing has come so far in the last two years, and this fight could erase all of that progress.
For those of you that live under a rock, or are under 16 years old, Holyfield and Tyson fought in 1996 and 1997 in two of the biggest matches in history. The first was a one-sided whooping by Holyfield, and the second Tyson bit off a chunk of Holyfieldís ear. A third fight would have a hard time living up to either of the two, but unfortunately would still be one of the biggest fights that could be made (financially speaking).
Holyfield has tried to hang on to a dying career, making a comeback in 2006 that saw him win four straight fights, enough to earn a title shot against Ibragimov. He was beaten soundly by Ibragimov, likely killing an chance he had to win another title, much less unify them as he had planned. That fight was in October and Holyfield hasnít found a fight since.
Tyson last fought in June of 2005, where he lost to journeyman Kevin McBride after refusing to come out for the 7th round. It was his second straight loss, coming eleven months after he was knocked out by Danny Williams.
There is absolutely no reason why these two should ever fight again against anyone, much less against each other. Holyfield can barely speak anymore and is a shadow of what he used to be, while Tyson has about three good rounds in him before he wants to quit.
There are so many reasons that this fight should never be made that I couldnít list them all here if I tried. Having said all that, I have a terrible feeling that if this fight actually happens, Iíll pay to watch it. Letís hope it doesnít come to that.

Tyson gave up his last fight and he was winning.. Holyfield got killed his last fight..

I dunno about this and growing up as a huge fan of both fighters I hate to see this kind of thing..

:(

ct2k
02-29-2008, 05:49 PM
It'll be horrible, this is a sympton of heavyweight boxing's decline since Lewis and Klitschko the older called it a day, two old dogs having a horrible brawl is the only thing certain promotors can think to put on instead of promoting new talent, doesn't help that most average fans only care about heavyweight because they think its the epitome of the sport:-\

SammyG
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
lol, will be terrible.

spilzrvd_69
02-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I'll watch it and I don't watch boxing.

RP
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
yawn

ct2k
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm looking forward to Calzaghe vs Hopkins and Woods vs Tarver far too much to be bothered tbh

Stickman
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM

FakeLaser
02-29-2008, 08:36 PM

ct2k
02-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Fine waste your money:foc:

DrA
02-29-2008, 08:39 PM
A Muhammad Ali/Michael J. Fox fight at this point would be better.

CSL
02-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I would watch online. I wouldn't pay

Bad Company
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
</>

Fuck Holyfield, I just wanna see Tyson.

Blitz
03-01-2008, 12:41 AM
This would be hilarious.

Zeeboe
03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Tyson vs. Kimbo would be better.

JT
03-01-2008, 01:32 AM
IMO boxing is already dead, and MMA is starting to become the dominate fight sport. Boxing kind of needs gimmicks for attention at this point.

DrA
03-01-2008, 01:44 AM
IMO boxing is already dead, and MMA is starting to become the dominate fight sport. Boxing kind of needs gimmicks for attention at this point.

Boxing is dead because it has been promoted awfully for over a decade now. If boxing were to promote some fighters that appeal to the crowds, then it can revive itself as a popular fighting sport once again. Boxing has a history with fighters like Muhammad Ali, Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson, etc. That is something that MMA does not have. To me MMA has to prove that it can maintain its popularity for another few years before it can considered anything more than a fad.

Of course there is a certain bias with me, as I was a boxing fan for much of my life. Boxing has a sort of class to it, almost a certain culture. MMA seems to just be a bunch of former high school jocks who go strutting around thinking they can beat the crap out of anybody. That seems to be much of its fanbase, at least.

road doggy dogg
03-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Well considering boxing is a huge joke anyway, why the hell not.. besides it would be funny to see Tyson spaz out and like eat his nose.

Kris P Lettus
03-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Tyson vs. Kimbo would be better.

Kimbo would KO him in under a minute..

Zeeboe
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM

...Probably. But just imagine Tyson when he was younger and in his prime going up against Kimbo. I actually think Tyson would have won. But now that Tyson is no longer young or in his prime, it might make for an interesting fight. But it probably needed to take place sooner then later. Tyson's not getting any younger. As each second goes by, he gets older and older, and like you said Kimbo would probably end it quickly.

Although I'm talking about an actual boxing match. No MMA or street fight stuff. Just good, old-fashion boxing with rules. I think if Tyson were to stay away from him, and not stand toe-to-toe...he might be able to wear Kimbo down, then go for the kill. Assuming Tyson doesn't wear himself down first.

Kris P Lettus
03-01-2008, 01:02 PM
MMA has rules..

O_o

Even in a boxing match, Kimbo would still destroy Tyson ATM.. I mean, Kimbo is in the best fighting shape of his life and is training with one of the greatest fighters of all time, Bas Rutten.. Tyson is well past his prime and Kimbo, even though he's like 33, hasn't near reached his yet..

Rob
03-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm looking forward to Calzaghe vs Hopkins and Woods vs Tarver far too much to be bothered tbh

Maccarinelli vs. Haye is next week mate. Will be better than those two.

Absolutely no way would Kimbo knock out Tyson.

ct2k
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Holy shit I forgot about Macca and Haye:D

David Haye is the future, he might just be the guy to bring some credibility back to the HW division when he inevitably steps up

But yeah, boxing is not dead and probably never will be, but that doesn't mean MMA isn't here to stay either, I dunno why people want it to be some battle of disciplines.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-02-2008, 06:02 PM
This would generate more buzz than any other boxing match they could put together

ct2k
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Buzz counts for shit if the fight is terrible, its a quick fix for the promotors but it'll do nothing for the sport, Infact I'd say watching two bloated old bruisers will do it harm, it's gonna be such an innacurate snapshot of what boxing is all about.

Kris P Lettus
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Absolutely no way would Kimbo knock out Tyson.

LOL

Blitz
03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Is there anyone you think Kimbo Slice wouldn't utterly destroy in a fight, Krispy?

Kris P Lettus
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, a bunch..

But a former pro boxer who's last "real" fight was almost 11 years ago, and even then he was outmatched to the point of biting his opponent, is not one of them..

Kimbo is in the best fighting shape of his life.. Tyson is over a decade removed from his..

But yeah, I'm just a silly Kimbo mark..

ct2k
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Kinda agree with Krispy here actually Rob, if Kevin McBride can knock Tyson out I see absolutely no reason why Kimbo couldn't

Rob
03-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Kinda agree with Krispy here actually Rob, if Kevin McBride can knock Tyson out I see absolutely no reason why Kimbo couldn't

He didn't knock him out. Tyson quit on the stool.

And in a boxing match, Kimbo would be exposed. It's like saying Chuck Liddell or someone could hang in boxing matches against top guys.

ct2k
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Mike Tyson is not a top guy anymore

ct2k
03-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Not to mention Danny Williams beat him too almost at his fattest, although granted Tyson was way injured...:p

But still, Tyson is way way past his prime, he has no discipline and his heart just isn't in it, and at the end of the day this is the real world not the 'on paper' world, Kimbo could definitely KO him

Kris P Lettus
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Mike Tyson is not a top guy anymore

Exactly the point..

Rob
03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I very much disagree still. Kimbo is fucking hugely over rated. He didn't knock out Sean Gannon.

ct2k
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
As far as Holyfield/Tyson 3? Well considering what I said about Tyson, ie his heart not being in it anymore etc, gotta favour Holyfield who still seems to have the hunger for it. Still can't imagine its gonna be very entertaining.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Buzz counts for shit if the fight is terrible, its a quick fix for the promotors but it'll do nothing for the sport, Infact I'd say watching two bloated old bruisers will do it harm, it's gonna be such an innacurate snapshot of what boxing is all about.Well when one of top boxers is making appearances at fake fight events its kinda tough to pick and choose your spots really. I mean the sport of boxing is on the decline and will continue to decline, this will at least get some buzz around the sport for just a little bit.

Maybe a couple fighters can come through and spark interest, but I highly doubt that. Personally I think MMA is just going to get bigger and bigger and take more and more fans from boxing. Its somewhat a safer sport too, I mean its definitely dangerous obviously but its not like in boxing where you repeatedly take blows to your head over and over throughout your career.

ct2k
03-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I dunno, most boxing fans I know are also MMA fans and generally vice versa, they're not exclusive, I know I'm not I'll watch almost any combat sport I can find because I appreciate all disciplines. Casual Lee Hotti type fans will be swayed one way or the other sure, but they're the ones who're going to be buzzing over this joke of a fight not the more hardcore fans who care less about conveying an image of being a fan of something than the discpline itself.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Well there seems to be a lot more UFC fans than boxing fans, so your theory really doesn't apply to everyone. Yeah the hardcore boxing fans won't give a shit about this fight but how many hardcore boxing fans are there at this point?

ct2k
03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
A lot, far as I can tell they don't tend to congregate in wrestling forums though:p

Rob
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Well there seems to be a lot more UFC fans than boxing fans, so your theory really doesn't apply to everyone. Yeah the hardcore boxing fans won't give a shit about this fight but how many hardcore boxing fans are there at this point?

There are far more boxing fans than UFC fans. Boxing will always be able to attract the casual fan for the big fights. UFC can't right now.

ct2k
03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Indeed, although again for some reason people like to pit the two against eachother like a technological format war where one will inevitably die, thats really not gonna happen

Jesus Shuttlesworth
03-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't necessarily think the two need to be pitted against each other, or are...but from what I've been hearing UFC is a lot more attractive right now than boxing is. I'm probably in one of the most important "demographics" for the 2 sports too. Either way boxing is on the decline, UFC influence or not. Right now I can't think of a casual fan getting too amped up for any boxing match up, outside of a few guys - definitely not any heavyweights either. If this match does happen, it just proves that these promoters are itching for money, if there was a lot of capable guys who could draw big audiences Tyson vs Holyfield probably wouldn't even be suggested (seriously, anyway)

ct2k
03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
This fight would happen even at the height of popularity, the promotors are swimming in cash but they'll make a heap more putting on this fight, money talks at the end of the day.

ct2k
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Also I think MMA is way way more popular in the states than most other countries, I know various disciplines are popular world wide like K2 and shit but the thing about boxing is there's pretty much a club in every town and city in the world, hell most have them dotted allover in half their neighbourhoods. The old soviet states are pumping out quality boxers in ridiculous numbers right now, and they're by no means the only ones.

ct2k
03-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Haye vs Maccarinelli toniiiiiiiite

Hoping my boy Haye smacks the shit out of fat Macca. Macca's been doing my head in with his shit, I know he's got a belt and I know this is boxing but he's not the fuckin #1, Haye beat Mormeck, Mormeck beat O'Neil Bell, that makes HAYE the fuckin true world champion.

Fuckin super pissed off that an all british world title fight held in London is being held to suit American times also, fuckin Frank Warren is an arse kissing little faggut

CSL
03-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, looking forward to this. Ghey that it's on Setanta and not ITV so now I have to go and watch in the front room but glad that's it's on late so the old's will be out of the way.

ct2k
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Its on too late is the problem, even a midnight first bell would give the precious Americans a late afternoon/early evening start, ie ideal. I doubt interest in either of the two will be worth a shit over there until after this fight anyway, even though you'd expect them to love David Haye.

Biggest British fight since Benn vs Eubank in 93 and its gonna start between 2 and 3 am:nono:

CSL
03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Fucking hell. Didn't realize it was on that late. I don't mind but I was thinking like 12-1.

ct2k
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
You wish:p

Could be a lot worse, Hatton/Mayweather was ridiculous, probably the latest I can remember a british fighter going on the telly over here, what was it 4:30 before the bell rang?

Rob
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah, looking forward to this. Ghey that it's on Setanta and not ITV so now I have to go and watch in the front room but glad that's it's on late so the old's will be out of the way.

Forget about seeing any of Warren's fighters on ITV any time soon other than Amir Khan and that will change the second he fights for the world title.

ct2k
03-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Indeed even the old bastion Calzaghe is on setanta now for the Hopkins fight

CSL
03-08-2008, 06:25 PM
So much for 'bringing boxing back to terrestrial TV' or whatever.

Rob
03-08-2008, 08:05 PM
So much for 'bringing boxing back to terrestrial TV' or whatever.

Blame ITV and BBC for that.

CSL
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
?

Rob
03-08-2008, 08:14 PM
BBC doesn't want boxing and wouldn't pay for it anyway. ITV doesn't want anyone in the prime time slot on ITV1 who isn't Amir Khan. They don't want Joe Calzaghe fighting at 3am. And when Amir Khan wins or loses that world title fight, they won't want to pay his price either.

CSL
03-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Fucks sake. Boxing was monsterous on ITV 'back in the day'. I know 3am's not ideal but people know it's usually the case, having to stay up and they'll tune in if it's got a Kahn, Calzaghe, Hatton etc

CSL
03-08-2008, 10:53 PM
So I move all my shit into the front room, setup, get comfortable. And he bombs him out less than 6 minutes. Looked like a beast though. Maccarinelli looked scared from the opening bell.

ct2k
03-08-2008, 11:29 PM
You shoulda gone down earlier for the Mitchell/Johannsen fight, great stuff.

As far as the main event goes, Haye proved exactly what he's made of, Macca matches Haye for power imo but he just didn't have the speed to catch up with him and he certainly didn't have the reflexes or mobility to duck and cover for long when he let his guard down and essentially asked for it.

Haye's gonna clean up the HW division as it stands, Klitschko is the only one there who could possibly challenge him right now, that'd certainly be an interesting fight if it happens down the line.

As far as macca goes, well I think he'd do well in several divisions if he conditioned himself better, if he trimmed the fat to the level Haye has he'd probably be at super-middle, if he puts a little more lean on and drops some of the fat he could be amazing, a lot of speed and power there considering the excess.

CSL
03-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Bit of slugfest starting to come on between Maskaev and Peter atm. Can't see this lasting much longer

CSL
03-09-2008, 12:30 AM
6th round TKO Samuel Peter

So I guess now we have to wait 3 years for Vitali to decide he's not gonna fight again before he fights Wladimir

Rob
03-09-2008, 03:46 AM
6th round TKO Samuel Peter

So I guess now we have to wait 3 years for Vitali to decide he's not gonna fight again before he fights Wladimir

No need to worry about all this. David Haye will knock both of them out before they have anything else to fight for.

ct2k
03-09-2008, 11:14 AM
████████ width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/beSvupzdMMY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/beSvupzdMMY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

CSL
03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
David Haye makes me feel inferior in just about every single way

ct2k
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
He made Macca look second rate, which he most certainly isn't

Rob
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Aside from a suspect glass jaw, Haye looks unbeatable.

ct2k
03-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Meh, if he had a glassjaw he wouldn'tve beaten Mormeck after the knock down imo

Rob
03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Hence why I said suspect.

Kris P Lettus
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't believe a fight that lasted under 6 minutes could bore me so much.. MMA has spoiled me to the point where I can't even watch one boxing match.. And I grew up as a huge boxing fan with my dad and moreso my uncle being huge boxing fans..

:-\

ct2k
03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
If you're not a fan of either man or familiar with the british boxing scene and the total arsehole that is Frank Warren its understandable that you wouldn't feel the tension Krispy, it wasn't a great fight for sure in any technical sense.

I love MMA fights that are more strike orientated but I find the grapple stuff more boring than a heavyweight jabfest personally:-\

Kris P Lettus
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Agree the disagree then..

Haye does has a nice right though..

ct2k
03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
He's got the total package pretty much, so long as he doesn't sacrifice any of his speed when he steps up to HW he'll clean up, its just a shame he wasn't around doing this 8-10 years ago