PDA

View Full Version : Will WrestleMania XXIV be more successful than WrestleMania 23

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
WrestleMania 23 is generally considered to be the most successful PPV the WWE has ever done, from a financial standpoint, I believe. In fact, over the past few years, WrestleMania is the only WWE PPV that actually continues to grow and become more successful each year.

Now, eventually this trend has to end. The WWE can not keep getting more and more buys forever, because you're going to reach a point where the potential consumer market ends. Anyway, the inevitability of things eventually changing aside, do you think that this year's WrestleMania will be more successful than last year's, as I'm sure the WWE is hoping?

Innovator
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
$54.95
$64.95 for HD

They can break even if the buyrate drops

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
That's a good point. I hope the WWE has researched this, and that the price increase will only effect buyrates to the point where they still actually make money by hiking the prices.

Loose Cannon
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
good god, $70 to watch the WWE. Can I pay them $70 to give me access to thier entire library for a month instead,

Team Sheep
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd say so. If last year was the most succesful and it was in Detroit, think how it will do being in Orlando.

Jordan
03-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah this is going to be the biggest Wrestlemania ever. The card is full of HUGE matches like Mayweather/Show, Orton/Triple H/Cena, Undertaker/Edge, Finlay vs JBL, Flair vs HBK, AND Money in the Bank on top of all that.

The amount of celebrities that are going to be there is also really cool, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, John Legend and Raven Symone... well not her haha.

AND on top of that it's in HD with a higher price, and I think thats going to make a lot of people feel like they should buy it, as well as the people who order Wrestlemania every year like myself and yous guys. But the high price could also turn some people away obviously.

None the less, I think it will get more buys than last year, yes.

DarKCentaur
03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
$70? Good thing I'm going to Hooters for Mania, it'll be cheaper for all the wings, beer, and tits.

DarKCentaur
03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Hell, I'm sure the nose-bleeds are probably around that price.

Kane Knight
03-05-2008, 07:01 PM
What are we basing success on? Gross? WWE's cut? What?

Hanso Amore
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Buyrate/Gate.

23 did the most buys in WWE history, dont ask me how.

I think since most monthly PPVs suck, alot of casual fans just buy one a yer, namely Mania. I used to buy the rumble only every year, and havea party, but now I could see Mania fitting in there.

Hanso Amore
03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
My point being that since less people are buying PPVs every month, they are more likely to splurge on the big one.

Unlike 10 years ago when you had to be frugal and choose which of the 12 awesome PPVs each year.

JT
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I say this year it could drop.

Reason? Well besides the $55 home viewers will have to pay, WWE has also increased the price bar's must pay for an event. I don't remember by how much from the top of my head, but do remember it was something like 3 times more than what UFC charges for their PPVs. So there should definately be a drop in the event from sports bars and etc.

Mr. Nerfect
03-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Whatever, really. Will the gate make more money? Will there be more buys? After the WWE is covering expenses like paying Mayweather, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg $80,000,000 to appear?

Personally, I can't see the WWE making nearly as much money off this as they think they will.

Mr. Nerfect
03-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah this is going to be the biggest Wrestlemania ever. The card is full of HUGE matches like Mayweather/Show, Orton/Triple H/Cena, Undertaker/Edge, Finlay vs JBL, Flair vs HBK, AND Money in the Bank on top of all that.

The amount of celebrities that are going to be there is also really cool, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, John Legend and Raven Symone... well not her haha.

AND on top of that it's in HD with a higher price, and I think thats going to make a lot of people feel like they should buy it, as well as the people who order Wrestlemania every year like myself and yous guys. But the high price could also turn some people away obviously.

None the less, I think it will get more buys than last year, yes.

I'll maybe give you Flair vs. HBK and the Money in the Bank as big matches. I can't really see how anything else tops last year, though. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels was a much bigger match than the Triple Threat, in my opinion. The same goes with Batista vs. The Undertaker being bigger than Edge vs. The Undertaker. JBL vs. Finlay may or may not be built up well, depending on who you ask, but it doesn't exactly reek greatest WrestleMania of all-time.

Loose Cannon
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
yea, what are you smoking Jordan X? Biggest Mania ever? right...

Jordan
03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm smoking pot, thank you sir. :)

Mr. Pierre
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I think this year's Mania looks pretty damn good as well.

On paper the match quality looks like it should be better than WM23, but thus far, the build isn't exactly there. But I mean c'mon, they still have an entire month to build this up. It's not like Mania is this Sunday...

Testicle
03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't believe that it will be. I am not interested in the card. We know who is going to win the majority of the matches, and most of the matches aren't interesting at all. Minus MITB I dont really care about this PPV.

Sure, they might end Ric Flair's career and the Undertaker's steak, but niether would get me to buy the show.

Maybe it will make more money, but I dont think its a very good card.

Indifferent Clox
03-06-2008, 11:57 PM

:foc:

:shifty:

Kane Knight
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Whatever, really. Will the gate make more money? Will there be more buys? After the WWE is covering expenses like paying Mayweather, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg $80,000,000 to appear?

Personally, I can't see the WWE making nearly as much money off this as they think they will.

Gate and PPV buys? I think so.

Will they be as profitable this year as they were last year, with the blatant increases in operating expenses? No. However, what they will play up is that they are, in fact, making more gross, they have a higher buyrate, etc. So it will advertise to the wolrd, to their fans, and to their investors as a success. And a bigger one than last year.

Have the numbers been confirmed for anyone other than Mayweather? I'm curious.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the record-setting Mayweather fight netted Mayweather around 20 million, with the highest grossing PPV EVER. Now, his cut may have actually been slightly more, because all the reports I found were estimates. However, it took a record setting PPV to give him that level of payoff.

Now, WWE is paying him that same amount for a PPV that probably won't come close to that record in terms of buys. That's not factoring in anyone else's pay, and there are a lot of performers on the card, including celebrities. His cut eclipses "The Donald's."