PDA

View Full Version : Matches you'd like to see added to WrestleMania

Mr. Nerfect
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
We're approaching WrestleMania, and right now the card seems pretty set, but I don't know, things don't quite seem there yet. Are there any extra matches you'd like to see added to the card? Any updates to current matches? Or are things perfect as they are?

Personally, I'd like to see Jerry Lawler vs. Santino Marella added to the card. Not a long match, or anything, but it'd serve as a great buffer between one of the many "big matches" on the card. The fans generally love Jerry Lawler, and Santino as been great, and actually has heat. Put Santino over here in a squash, as JR "bah gawds" the tenacity of this kid, who just mutilated his broadcast partner.

Brian Kendrick walked out on Paul London during RAW, and got more heat for it than Umaga got for picking apart London. It's not a very likely development, but I'd like to see William Regal take satisfaction in his destruction of one of the greatest tag teams in WWE history (as WWE.com recently decided on), and he puts them against each other in a singles bout to open the show. A lot may not agree with me, but I think London & Kendrick could have the best opening match at a WrestleMania since Bret/Owen at WrestleMania X. You know, provided they got time.

As for match changes:

I think the Triple Threat for the WWE Championship should become an Elimination Match. You know, to make the match seem more "final," as it should be for a WrestleMania.

Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels is missing something, I think. A lot of people are interested in the match, generally speaking, but I think they could bump up interest even more. Have HBK come out and announce that to motivate himself, to put on the best show at WrestleMania possible, HBK is also putting his career on the line. It would seem to telegraph the ending, but I would still put Flair over, and just have HBK turn heel and say he lied, and is sticking around. Because that's what heels should do.

Matt Hardy really should be added to the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, too, because it would give the fans someone else to get behind in the match (two faces and five heels seems a little bit too unbalanced, in my opinion). Plus, if Hardy isn't in MITB, then it will probably mean he is going to win the ECW Battle Royal, which could be a great unpredictable moment otherwise. Although Kane is pretty much a lock if Hardy isn't in the match...

ManayZ
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
You're gay.

Mr. Nerfect
03-19-2008, 06:42 PM
What are you talking about, Manay? This is about matches you'd like to see added to the WrestleMania card.

:shifty:

James Steele
03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
:rofl: Noid.

Xero
03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
"Personally, I'd like to see Jerry Lawler vs. Santino Marella added to the card. Not a long match, or anything, but it'd serve as a great buffer between one of the many "big matches" on the card. The fans generally love Jerry Lawler, and Santino as been great, and actually has heat. Put Santino over here in a squash, as JR "bah gawds" the tenacity of this kid, who just mutilated his broadcast partner."

If you honestly think that would qualify for a PPV match, nevermind a WrestleMania match, you've really lost it.

Mr. Nerfect
03-19-2008, 07:00 PM
"Personally, I'd like to see Jerry Lawler vs. Santino Marella added to the card. Not a long match, or anything, but it'd serve as a great buffer between one of the many "big matches" on the card. The fans generally love Jerry Lawler, and Santino as been great, and actually has heat. Put Santino over here in a squash, as JR "bah gawds" the tenacity of this kid, who just mutilated his broadcast partner."

If you honestly think that would qualify for a PPV match, nevermind a WrestleMania match, you've really lost it.

It's actually got more build than most of the WrestleMania card.

Ruien
03-19-2008, 07:07 PM
But as for the match itself, come on. The build is not everything, they need to execute.

Xero
03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
It's actually got more build than most of the WrestleMania card.

So does Vince McMahon vs. Hornswoggle. Fans love Hornswoggle. Vince is a huge heel. By your definition, it would qualify for a WrestleMania match.

Dorkchop
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Santino and Lawler should get involved in the stupid diva piss break match.

Fox
03-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I'd love for Matt Hardy to show up on RAW and somehow get himself booked for a US Title shot against MVP at Mania, pulling him out of the MITB match.

If not that, then Matt would make a great "surprise 8th entrant" in the MITB match.

Heros Welcome
03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Whether it be in MiTB or winning the ECW title, I'd like to see Matt Hardy booked some where for Mania.

Shadow
03-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Jeff Hardy vs. a DEA Agent in a Brain On a Pole Match.

Mr. Nerfect
03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
So does Vince McMahon vs. Hornswoggle. Fans love Hornswoggle. Vince is a huge heel. By your definition, it would qualify for a WrestleMania match.

But you see, there is nothing redeemable about Vince McMahon vs. Hornswoggle. Santino Marella is amazingly entertaining, deserves to be cultivated, and can carry a tune in the ring (contrary to popular belief).

Xero
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Lawler cancels anything positive out.

Impact!
03-21-2008, 11:09 AM
This is true...although seeing Lawler get embarressed in the ring COULD be good

NYDon
03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Actually I think everything should stay how it is right at this moment in time

Mr. Nerfect
03-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Lawler cancels anything positive out.

I'll give you that much. If it removed Lawler from commentary, though? We now get the paradox of whether Lawler cancels out the positive of cancelling Lawler? The old "could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that not even he could eat it" scenario.

OverTaker
03-21-2008, 10:38 PM
"Mick Foley took an IQ Test and the results came back negative. Ha ha!"

I just got tired of hearing that over and over!

NeanderCarl
03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I thought Lawler vs Marella when I saw the title of the thread too.

I do think there needs to be another match added as it's a four hour show.

I expect Santino will be involved in something other than the 24 man Battle Royal. Maybe he will interject himself in the BunnyMania car crash and (here's hoping) have some kind of confrontation with The Rock.

I know everyone is saying The Rock will be out of dodge long before WrestleMania starts, but that could just be a red herring to make any PPV on-screen appearance a surprise. We'll see.

Xero
03-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I'll give you that much. If it removed Lawler from commentary, though? We now get the paradox of whether Lawler cancels out the positive of cancelling Lawler? The old "could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that not even he could eat it" scenario.

You really want JR calling something by himself?

Or even worse, with Coach?

Mr. JL
03-22-2008, 11:08 AM
The only thing that is really WrestleMania worthy is the

Career Threatening Match of Ric Flair versus Shawn Michaels.

NeanderCarl
03-22-2008, 11:41 AM
In 2008? Really?

Five years ago, maybe. Ten years ago, fuck yeah.

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 11:53 AM
You really want JR calling something by himself?

Or even worse, with Coach?

Tazz has been the go-to replacement when Lawler is out. I think he would be the guy the WWE used to replace Lawler for the rest of the evening. JR/Tazz as a commentary duo? Better than JR/King.

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Or better yet, bring in Jesse Ventura for the night to be JR's commentary partner in Lawler's absence, and have Ventura announce that he'll be running for President, or something. A lot is better than Lawler.

Evil Vito
03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Art Donovan would do a better job than Lawler.</font>

Outsider
03-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Chuck Palumbo vs Jamie Noble.

They have been fueding for ages, they need a PPV match to finish it. That is how a fued works. Don't give us throwaway matches, give us built matches.

Probably gonna get something like Mark Henry vs Big Daddy V though.

Loose Cannon
03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I know I say I don't like today's wrestling all the time, but I'll tell you straight up when they put on a good show or have a good angle going etc....

But this Mania really isn't shaping up to be anything special. There's really not one match that has the "Mania aura" to it. Nothing special on the card. Maybe Big Show/Mayweather and Flair/HBK, but everything else is blah to me. I hate Triple Threat Main Events at Mania and Money in the bank gets less interesting with every year that they do it.

I just can't see how this would be worth $50 or whatever it is. Like $80 fo HD, right? Just seems like any other standard PPV.

Dorkchop
03-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Chuck Palumbo vs Jamie Noble.

They have been fueding for ages, they need a PPV match to finish it. That is how a fued works. Don't give us throwaway matches, give us built matches.

Probably gonna get something like Mark Henry vs Big Daddy V though.

I fully agree. I don't watch Smackdown much, but every time I do these guys are feuding.

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Chuck Palumbo vs. Jamie Noble is a good pick, but I think that is spilling into the ECW Battle Royal, though.

A lot of people would disagree with this, because of who it involves and because it is really thrown together, but here goes anyway:

Recently in an interview, Hulk Hogan said he would job to any mid-carder for $2,000,000. Sure, going over Hogan is not an instant credibility push for a guy. I believe Sean O'Haire and Billy Kidman both defeated Hogan at one stage. Beating Hogan at WrestleMania is a pretty big thing, though. I'm just trying to think of who could really benefit.

One scenario I would not mind, is Elijah Burke coming out on RAW, or something, and saying that he is not happy being in the ECW Battle Royal, because there are so many guys in there, and if he does win, then he's not going to be fresh against Chavo. He wants to prove that he can beat anyone at anytime, but he wants to do it one-on-one and he wants to do it fresh. He indirectly quotes Hogan (leaving out the jobbing part) as being willing to compete at WrestleMania XXIV for $2 million, so he says he wants Armando Estrada to put up the money, or he will put it up himself, and he wants to knock Hulkamania out.

Burke can bust out phrases like "Hogan Knows Best; but Burke Does Best," and he can call himself the "Gold-Destined Gladiator." A lot of people scoff at Burke, saying he has no chance, and that's he's pretty much paying to be another Hogan Leg Drop at WrestleMania. Burke does go over Hogan at WrestleMania, though, with a bare-kneed Elijah Express, and he then turns face and wins the US Title from MVP to establish a resume of sorts before he moves into main event programs.

Another option is to make the Hogan match impromtu. Advertise Hogan for the event, and maybe market a "challenge he has to make." Hogan can give out an open challenge to anyone on the WWE roster to get in the ring with a real Superstar. Someone like MVP or John Morrison (who would have already lost Money in the Bank) can come out, and then talk about they are a real Superstar, and that they are so great that the Ladder Match earlier won't effect their performance now. Whether it be MVP or John Morrison, they go over Hogan, and hopefully the whole "in their second match of the night" thing makes it seem more important, and helps to really elevate them.

I don't expect too many to be in agreement with either idea, but it's what I'd like to see.

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
MVP vs. Matt Hardy for the United States Championship really should have made the card. Their feud had a story, the fans were getting excited for it, and it would have been a fantastic opening moment for the PPV with Hardy winning his first major singles championship.