PDA

View Full Version : So, are there any developmental talents who we should be excited about?

Chavo Classic
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm personally a big fan of Matt Sydal. There's going to be the inevitable toning down of his style and with the Cruiserweight division gone, his opportunities are going to be somewhat limited but I can't wait to see this guy on television.

Anyone else who we should be excited about in Florida?

Porcupine
03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I dont know if he's in Florida, but Colt Cabana is apparently in WWE developmentals and thats reason enough for excitement.

Chavo Classic
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Colt could do really well. He's got the size, and athleticism and is possibly the funniest man in wrestling. Plus all the fanboys will cream over a potential SCS reunion with Punk.

Xero
03-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Colt could do really well. He's got the size, and athleticism and is possibly the funniest man in wrestling. Plus all the fanboys will cream over a potential SCS reunion with Punk.

He'll get on RAW and be jobbed out to Snitsky during one of his pushes, after which he'll float around on Heat for a few months then get released.

Heros Welcome
03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm excited to see Colt come up. Loved him in the indies, he is hilarious. He has got all the tools to be very successful.

As for Sydal, I really hope the guy gets a fair shot to shine, because he is extremely athletic and talented. Also I hope they let him do the Sydal Press, best SSP in the biz.

Dave Youell
03-25-2008, 11:27 AM
With the lightweight title dead, Sydal has next to no chance of being taken seriously on TV, he looks about 120 pounds, everyone would be bigger than him. The only thing I could think of for him was to tag with either London or Kendrick and form a new dare devil style tag team, but with the embargo on any moves that makes the cruiserweights look different from the normal guys, he’s doesn’t stand a chance.

Colt is awesome (did I mention I’ve worked a battle royal with him, *cheap pop*) he’s working in Florida as Matt Classic right now, which could be good and bad. He’s still doing comedy as far as I’m aware, but he’s under a hood, I don’t see why on earth you’d do that to a man with as much charisma as colt. Personally I think he could and should be brought up asap, he has all the tools and is an amazing talker, sadly though, WWE doesn’t like things that were not created in their own image, hence why we have a bland face CM Punk and not a super straight edge ‘Better than you’ CM Punk, heck, I’m shocked he managed to keep his name! We can thank Heyman for that one I think

So could they get brought up? Sure, will they be anything close to what we are hoping for, dear god no, because they always seem to mess up a simple formula. I would expect some new faces within the next month, they tend to do that after Mania to set the direction for the rest of the year

Innovator
03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I heard Atlas DiBone (sp) has charisma up the yingyang

CSL
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope they do something worthwhile with Cabana and Johnny Jeter. Ron Killings is under contract, Sydal as already mentioned, TJ Wilson. Hopefully, the brits will do well. Not really a fan of Hade Vansen or Steve Lewington but SOS could do alright for himself. May need a suntan though :D (which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish in Florida)

Dave Youell
03-25-2008, 12:17 PM
I hope they do something worthwhile with Cabana and Johnny Jeter. Ron Killings is under contract, Sydal as already mentioned, TJ Wilson. Hopefully, the brits will do well. Not really a fan of Hade Vansen or Steve Lewington but SOS could do alright for himself. May need a suntan though :D (which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish in Florida)

Killings will do alright for himself, just stick him on Smackdown, he doesn’t really need any polishing up, should be fine straight away for TV

Hade Vansen was a really strange one, I was surprised they signed him up, he wasn’t exactly big and wasn’t making huge waves over here before he went to Florida, he was always ‘alright’ but nothing outstanding

Lewington has a hell of a look, he was built before they signed him up and with 2 years worth of wellness violations inside of him he should be a proper little freak now, he used to work the All Star circuit, so I wouldn’t expect him to be the greatest wrestler alive, but then, that’s the great thing about the WWE’s toned down style, it doesn’t matter how good you are, just how good they are willing to let you look.

SOS shouldn’t get a tan, his facial hair mixed with that aspirin white skin is a unique look, and well, he looks proper Irish, the biggest of all the brits on the books in development, has done well wherever he went before hand, could do alright on TV because of his size

Mr. Nerfect
03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Matt Sydal and Colt Cabana are the obvious ones, as they are independent gems. I believe that Sydal will actually do really well in the WWE. They seem high on him, plus his moveset is actually pretty WWE-rific. His moves are safer, and seem very, well, standard. Just with the heat turned up from about 160 to 210. Miz has used his corner reverse bulldog move, and Melina has taken his reverse DDT using the leg move. I think Sydal will do pretty OK, actually.

Colt Cabana will be a star in the WWE, I believe. He's got the personality, the size, the ring skill. As long as they bring him in as a goofy face, he will be fantastic. He could work on any brand (come on, the interactions between him and William Regal will be incredible), and yeah. As long as they don't make him too much of a gimmick. Matt Classic is funny, I guess, but I don't know. Can't see it really having legs. Actually, better yet, have Cabana play himself, and have Matt Classic established as a separate identity played by Cabana. It's something I've always wanted to see the WWE attempt. Like having Gregory Helms and The Hurricane floating around, and listed on the Superstars page. Or giving Charlie Haas and his luchadore personality different profiles and different matches. That way the Matt Classic character can show up, but Cabana doesn't need to be so anchored by the gimmick.

Atlas DaBone does have charisma galore, apparently, but keep in mind, Kofi Kingston was also the charismatic gem of the developmental scene at one point. I could see DaBone being quite boring on WWE TV, actually. Let's hope not.

TJ Wilson and Nattie Neidhart I'd like to see called up together. DH Smith is not going the places that he could be, so I say "what the fuck," and just stick DH Smith with TJ Wilson as the Stampede Bulldogs. With Brian Kendrick now being a heel (I guess), why not have Paul London turn with him (the WWE don't seem to have any plans for him), and do a students of Shawn Michaels vs. next generation Hart Foundation feud?

Johnny Jeter reminds me so much of Chris Jericho it is not funny. I would not be surprised to discover that Jericho was one of Jeter's biggest influences. Just the way Jeter walks, it's so Jericho-like. He also used the Lionsault as a finishing move. And his team with Matt Cappotelli was called "The Thrillseekers," a possible homage? I still want to see Jeter called up as Chris Jericho's "padawan," or something.

Ken Doane, when he returns to WWE TV, could be great. I think the Kenny Dykstra name is sort of weighing him down. It just seems like a joke to me. It would not surprise me if Johnny Jeter & Kenny Dykstra get called up together as a tag team consisting of guys that have the surnames of famous sporting stars. Hey, the ring work would not be bad, at least.

Nick Nemeth is apparently a heat machine with his "The Natural" character. More power to Nemeth, who is damn solid in the ring, what with his amateur background and all.

Jake Hager, although I have not seen too much of his work, seems quite impressive. He had great success as an amateur wrestler, and has some size to him. Wikipedia lists him as 6'4 and 285lbs. Sylvester Terkay was also a great amateur wrestler and MMA fighter, though. Hager seems to be doing well for himself in FCW, though (he's currently the FCW Florida Heavyweight Champion down there).

Ted DiBiase, Jr. is down there, and while reports on him from his Japanese tour days touted him as being green with lots of potential, he'll probably be improving leaps and bounds. Reid Flair also seems like the next generation Flair with the talent, too. I believe he is under contract, too.

Oh, and it will be interesting to see whether Sheamus is called up as a "student of Finlay" on his side, or whether he is brought in by Vince to destroy Finlay. I'm sure we'll be seeing Finlay and Sheamus on-screen together, though.