PDA

View Full Version : 4 years of lackluster Mania main events

Dave Youell
03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Is it just me, or has the past 4 years worth of Wrestlemania main events been sub par, mainly for 2 reasons:

Triple H

John Cena

Now I don’t question if either of them can work a good match, because they can, but the last time I actually felt excited going into Mania about the main event was at XX because of the belief that Benoit would win the big one, it was a great story to tell, since then the main events have looked like this:

Mania 21: HHH/Batista

It wasn’t a bad match, just not an outstanding one like this sort of match should be, Batista isn’t a high level player IMO, he’s decent enough, but you can only get so much out of him

Mania 22: HHH/Cena

Same as above, the crowd reactions were electric, but the match itself, meh, nothing about this really got me interested

Mania 23: Cena/Micheals

The fact that they had already worked against each other in an epic match already meant that it wasn’t original for me, and it was well known that HBK was filler for what would have been HHH/Cena 2.

Mania 24: Cena/HHH/Orton

Orton is the only thing in this match that makes me excited, as I really enjoy watching him work and really think he is the future, but he’s a bit part players in this tale of Mania main event star crossed lovers

--

Thing is the mania undercard this year looks really strong, with exception of the women’s match, I’m looking forward to pretty much every match, mainly to see how it’s approached rather than thinking it will be a good match.

Show/Mayweather:

Now this I’m interested in for a few reasons, mainly to see if Mayweather will play ball and do the match as planned, now there’s no way he’s jobbing, but it would be interesting to see if he bothers to sell, lets face it, Show could totally take advantage of this situation is Mayweather decides he wants to be tough.

Flair/HBK:

I don’t know, but some small part of me is screaming swerve and Flair goes over, I don’t know why, but it seems so obvious that Flair is going out at the grandest stage of them all, but something inside of me thinks it would be hilarious if he went over with a handful of tights, re-formed the horsemen as heels and went on for another year, seeing all the promo’s and tributes recently reminds me of how great the man is, and that 1 more year wouldn’t hurt that much

Umaga/Batista:

This one could be the sleeper hit of the night, really! Umaga when used right is amazing and Dave isn’t a slouch in the ring, plus they are going to have to out do themselves to look better than…..

Finlay/JBL:

This thing should be the stiffest thing on TV since Matt and Edge’s feud, seriously, I don’t want to see a single wrestling move, just 2 guys totally non selling punches to the face and it will be glorious, it’s the perfect match for both guys

MITB:

We all know that Shelton is going to fly, but with Jeff not being in it, there’s no clear winner, there’s cases for 4 guys to win this thing right now, I like the un-predictability of it

The battle royal should just be good fun as well.

Plus there’s Edge/Taker, personally I’m not feeling this one, I dunno, I just don’t see how this match can help either guy, I can see Taker going over, as there’s no was Edge should be the man to end the streak

--

The really depressing thing is, I’m more excited about seeing Angle/Joe at lockdown than the Wrestlemania main event, and I’ve seen Joe/Angle 3 times already! This 3 way in theory is a new match. What does that say about the WWE and the way they produce the main event players

Jordan
03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I feel like this is one of the best built Wrestlemania's in a long time. Well honestly I don't think there has been a bad Wrestlemania since 11, some were not amazing but none were bad.I don't know what more you could want... Triple H vs Orton vs Cena has been brewing since Summerslam! Big Show vs Mayweather is something new an exciting and I'm sure their outcome will be good. Undertaker vs Edge has been brewing since Edge's return in December, I think all of the matches are built up extremely well. Even down to Bunnymania. I am really looking forward to the show this year.

Also, I think your expecting better main events because you are living in the past. Triple H, Orton, Cena are the biggest and best in the WWE right now and if the Orton/Cena matches we have seen over the last six or seven months, and the Triple H/Orton matches, then it's going to be one hell of a match.

Kane Knight
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Duh?

Kane Knight
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Let me rephrase.

ITT: Duh?

Dave Youell
03-25-2008, 12:10 PM
The build has been fine, like I said the undercard is looking pretty dam solid top to bottom, it’s just most of the main events I’ve enjoyed in the past have been when people step up to the plate, like when Lesnar took on Angle or Benoit in that Triple threat. There was someone trying to solidify their main event status

This year it’s 3 guys who have been around the main event scene for 3 years now, I just want something new

Mr. JL
03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
If Orton wins... he's the heel and it's going to be flat.

If Cena wins... some Kiddies will go home happy while the rest of the audience groans.

If HHH wins... we've seen that 11 times before, so big fucking deal.
----
It's just that there is nothing new here and the outcome is n9t going to put the WWE in a new direction at all. Just the same old shit.

Jordan
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Cena or Triple H will turn heel.

Indifferent Clox
03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
A heel turn for Cena could make this good, or an Austin/Rock return... lol.

Afterlife
03-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree, the prospect of the men in the match is bland, but this way they get it over with so next year we kinda HAVE to get something interesting.

Porcupine
03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree, the prospect of the men in the match is bland, but this way they get it over with so next year we kinda HAVE to get something interesting.

Next Year:

"Damn it! Cena, Orton and HHH are STILL in the main event...and I thought they were wrapping it up last year, but it was just starting... *sigh*"

The Optimist
03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
For the record, I was all fucking hyped up for the Triple H vs. Batista match. Trips still had all the powers of the glass ceiling in his favor, and Batista hadn't slouched off since he'd gotten his push. I was yearning for Batista to win in a monstrous way, and it was pretty glorious.

But, I agree with you Dave. There's not alot of excitement with the other three main events. The only drama in HHH/Cena was to see if overcoming the odds could overcome the glass ceiling, not to mention they were both faces. It was like choosing between past-bland and future-bland. And the HBK match was transparent for months in advance. He was there to make it a good match, not actually threaten Cena's title.

The current main event is better than the last two, just because of Orton, in the way that I can hope that he wins. Yes, it's not a feel good, and apparently you need that in Wrestlemania now. But, if he does win justifiably he'll have to pull off some really crazy epic stuff. And it'd be sort of a sign that Cena and/or Triple H won't win anything and everything. A display of parody sort of, that Orton is up there in the top echelon now.

I know, won't happen.

Mister Sinister
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Triple H at the time was a heel.

He just got cheered at Mania because the Chicago Crowd is full of smarks

Mr. Nerfect
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't remember the stories for the past two WrestleMania main events. That's how memorable they were for me. I think Cena and HBK were World Tag Team Champions heading into the event, but I have no clue why or how HBK got the title shot.

I also don't remember how Triple H emerged as a challenger for Cena at WrestleMania 22, either. I still think the WWE should have done Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22. Benoit and Angle had fucking fantastic matches, and the moment that would have closed the show (putting all that happened with Benoit later on aside) would have been heartbreaking. Chris Benoit holding the big gold belt again, as the confetti falls, and everyone realises there is no Eddie Guerrero beside him anymore.

This year, the main event is pretty fucking shitty. There is no real story about it. "They've been brawling for months!" Who fucking cares? They aren't brawling now. They're sitting the same room having cups of tea and making each others' matches. There is no storyline reason for Triple H to be in this match.

Now don't get me wrong, Orton/Cena would have been even worse. We'd seen it before, and we don't really need either guy to be headlining a WrestleMania. Shawn Michaels should have won the WWE Championship at No Way Out, with Chris Jericho being the 2008 Royal Rumble Winner. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho II as the WrestleMania XXIV main event. But you know, that would have involved not ruining Jericho's return.

Kane Knight
03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Triple H/Cena 9: This time, it's personal.

Mr. Nerfect
03-25-2008, 09:56 PM
There are a lot of potentially great moments and matches in the undercard, as Dave said. Finlay vs. JBL is a match I keep forgetting is even on the card, but I bet it is a fun brawl. I'll go as far as to say it will be a classic WrestleMania brawl. I'm expecting Hornswoggle to wander out to a massive pop, and for JBL to midget toss him as far as he can, from the ring back up the aisle. That will be incredible.

Finlay will go nuts on JBL with a shillelagh, and I expect Vince to get a Finlay ass-kicking, too. Part of me is also expecting Shane McMahon to show up, and start kicking the crap out of Vince, and revealing to be the McMahon who got Finlay to lie. I think we'll get something comparable to Vince vs. Shane at WrestleMania X-7 in how fun it will be.

I am hoping for some near falls in Edge vs. Taker. I fully expect a spot where Edge Spears The Undertaker out of his boots, and gets a very close two count. Edge is not the man to end the streak (I feel John Cena will do it next year in Houstin at WrestleMania XXV), but I'm expecting a good match.

The ECW Championship shit could lead to amazing surprises. Kane or Matt Hardy are the likely winners right now, but fuck, I would mark out for RVD returning and winning, or Mick Foley winning the Battle Royal and putting Chavo over. You could see someone disgrunted from Money in the Bank wander out, sneak into the Battle Royal, play their cards right, and win the ECW Championship. Crazy shit like that. The WWE doesn't seem to have any set plans for the title, so pretty much anything is game.

Money in the Bank this year, in my opinion, could be the best ever. It was down to Chris Jericho and MVP, in my opinion, but I'm now actually starting to think CM Punk has a chance. See, Jericho and MVP have been developing a program recently, so I can see them canceling each other out. Matt Hardy could also get involved and remove MVP from the equation. Of course, with Jericho and MVP out of the way, Mr. Kennedy also becomes a possibility. It's the most unpredictable MITB ever.

I'm still hoping Ric Flair goes over Shawn Michaels after Arn Anderson gives HBK a Spinebuster, and Flair puts Michaels in the Figure Four. Then, Flair can get on the mic, and scream "I will NEVER retire!" I would mark out for Flair for the first time in ages.

Mr. Nerfect
03-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Triple H/Cena 9: This time, it's personal.

:lol:

The only real "amazing" thing I can picture for their main event this year, would be Stephanie McMahon helping John Cena win. :-\

Afterlife
03-26-2008, 02:07 AM
:lol:

The only real "amazing" thing I can picture for their main event this year, would be Stephanie McMahon humping John Cena. :-\

I hear that! Of course, Savage will call Cena a punk for stealing his idea.

Mr. Nerfect
03-26-2008, 02:16 AM
I hear that! Of course, Savage will call Cena a punk for stealing his idea.

John Cena (w/Stephanie McMahon) vs. Randy Savage (w/Aurora Rose)...WrestleMania 39 main event.

"She's almost 17...ooooooohhhh yeaaaaaah!"

Afterlife
03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
RANDY SAVAGE SLOGAN:

"If there's no grass on the field, play in the mud!"

- OR -

"Snap into a pre-teen!"

Mr. Nerfect
03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
"Snap into a pre-teen!"

:lol: Classic.