PDA

View Full Version : Is there room for character growth with Jesse & Festus?

Rollermacka
04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Jesse and Festus are one of my favorite tag teams in wrestling today. Festus can move for a man his size and Jesse adds the comentary and finess to the group but my question is do you think that they have any room to grow with this "Jesse & Festus" gimmick? Yea it's funny to watch Festus go from statue to maniac in a bell toll but he's kinda like Eugene, fun to watch now but after a while it's like yea, weve seen you do this plenty of times before. Jesse on the other hand could be Jesse for a while, then revial the fact that he is the son of the legendary Terry Gordy, and maybe even turn into a "Southern Gentleman" kinda gimmick later down the line. I dont know do you think there is any way to branch out Festus after this "ring bell" gimmick?

FourFifty
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
The sky is the limit for Jesse.
As Festus goes, unless they find some "cure" for him, or totally overhall his gimmick there's not much hope. However, you don't need character growth for a one trick pony if it's booked right. Look at Umaga. He's been going strong with the same gimmick. Kamalla was going stong also. Also, sometimes you just have to let time work its magic. Who knew that "the dead man" would become what he is today.

Indifferent Clox
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see festus in a 10 minute ironman against someone who needs to get over.

Like have the bell ring and Festus just kick the dude's ass in like 4 seconds BOOM. Bell rings the guy gets up and does a simple roll up pins him and then runs like hell gets a ten count, comes back in roll up pin but then he does the math (very obviously on his hands and realizes at this rate he can never win. So he gets a chair and sacrifices another victory but knocks Festus the fuck out and pins him like 4 more times.

OR something like that.

Mooияakeя™
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
They cane change Festus if they want. I really wouldn't of imagined how Kane has developed back in 1997. But it's gone ok for him.

Jesse strangly reminds me of Mr. Perfect. But this is only due to his wrestling attire me thinks.

Either way, I don't really care cos I think tag team wrestling is just dead these days :(

Dorkchop
04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Not really, but it's pretty entertaining at the moment. I don't see him working for WWE 2 years from now. I'd be surprised if we see him on tv one year from now. You can always do more character development, but if they keep pushing it like Kane, or to a lesser extent Eugene, new elements will eventually contradict old ones.

If WWE had a real tag division, Jesse and Festus could stay pretty comfortable for a couple of years. There's nothing wrong with being a midcard - lower midcard tag team (provided there's a healthy division).

WWE doesn't do this, but the best thing they can do with a gimmick like this is to just go with the flow. If something works go with it. If it doesn't, can it and try something else.

Theo Dious
04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Jesse is awesome and needs to get a serious push on his own. He's gold on the mic and the only reason he and Festus get any reaction at all.

Festus was better in the Classic Kane suit.

Theo Dious
04-02-2008, 07:10 PM
If anything, Festus should just be a "bodyguard" type that never says anything and never bats an eye until Jesse needs him.

Theo Dious
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Additionally, are J&F heels or what... cause I can't tell.

Volare
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Is it just me...or is there a small resembelance between Jesse and Owen Hart.

Mr. Nerfect
04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Additionally, are J&F heels or what... cause I can't tell.

Darth, I love you man, but you gave yourself away here. J&F are about as babyface as you can get on the WWE roster. Also, although I prefer Jesse way more, and he is the stronger both in the ring and on the mic, Festus is one of the more over guys on the roster. I'd like to give credit to Jesse for it, but I honestly believe Festus deserves most of it.

As for whether or not there is growth for them? Yes, there most certainly is. I'd love to see a feud between them and Deuce N' Domino, where The Daltons (remember when they were going to be called this?) defeat The Untouchables (don't go there), and then the next week D&D want a rematch. The Throwbacks win that one when Cherry rings the bell, which leaves Festus completely open for a swank double team by the former WWE Tag Team Champions. Jesse is really pissed off.

The next time they meet in a match, Jesse finds a way to counteract the bell ringing strategy by D&D (maybe he shoves Cherry down, or something, and takes the bell, teasing what is ultimately going to come, and you know it). Jesse & Festus get their win back, and snatch the lead.

You then go to yet another match, which this time D&D win when they pin Jesse after nailing him with one of Cherry's skate (a heel trick they used all the time in OVW but are yet to use on SmackDown!, I believe, which makes me think they are saving it). Deuce N' Domino even things up. This just leads to an all out brawl between the teams, where the bell is removed from things, and the skate is legal. Jesse & Festus manage to win that, and maybe earn themselves a tag team title run from it.

Anyway, eventually you can turn Jesse heel, and have him exploit all the weakenesses he knows about Festus to cost him matches, and get some victories over him, personally. This leads to a moment where Jesse tries ringing a bell to calm Festus in a match, but Festus stops slightly, then gets enraged again, proving it had no effect, and he proceeds to go over Jesse. Festus has overcome his weakness.

You can then move Jesse into revealing himself as the son of Terry Gordy. Festus actually has potential as a character, or so I think the WWE believes. I doubt Drew Hankinson is ever going to get over, but "Festus" might, and arguably already is. He's already racking up some important falls, and getting to look better than CM Punk on occasion.

The guy behind Festus is great at playing characters. He may not be great in the ring, but he played "Imposter Kane" well, and he's got Festus down. I would not mind him playing some kind of character where he goes through multiple wrestling styles during the match. Obviously Festus can not work a technical style, or a high flying one, but they would be great for comedy. Power, brawling, old-school, and all those styles could be the more "serious" ones for Festus.

Evil Vito
04-02-2008, 09:43 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I like that idea Noid...you bring up Deuce 'N Domino, personally I wish they would do more with them. I dunno what it is about them - if its their ringwork or just their gimmick, but I like them. They seem to be going through what all WWE tag teams go through: start teaming, get a solid push, win the titles, then lose the titles and start jobbing constantly. DnD, Londrick, Cade/Murdoch, the list goes on really.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
A lot of people don't like Deuce N' Domino, but I really don't think they are that bad. They're actually quite solid. I think they would work better as singles guys, but Cherry is the single most underrated female performer in the WWE. The things she does at ringside are brilliant.

Tommy Gunn
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I like them, but they are still relatively new-ish, in the sense that they haven't done much. Give them a run with the Tag Titles and see what happens!