PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper Jr...

Good Ol JG
04-08-2008, 05:35 PM
...Is an annoying man with ridiculous hair. Does anyone else hate him as much as I do? He comes around once a year, talks like he knows the NFL, then disappears til the next draft. I hate this fuckin guy.

RP
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I think he knows what he's talking about.

Gertner
04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
because the draft is his thing jackass.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Hes got the easiest job in the World. I guess its like being a baseball player though, get it right 3 outta 10 times and you are an All Star

Kris P Lettus
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Not near as bad as Skip Bayless..

Kris P Lettus
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Or Chris Collinsworth..

OssMan
04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
He and Jay Bilas are pretty much the exact same person in different sports

VonErichLives
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
he used to get on my nerves at first but his there year after year and is probably the most reliable source on the nfl draft and rankings. he's usually a lot better then 3 for 10.

Remember his job isn't predicting who someone will take, it's looking at team needs and ranking the best draftee at that position and why, he's made a great name and business for himself.

Good Ol JG
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I know the draft is his thing, jackass, I never debated that point.

What gets on my nerves is that he comes in and talks the NFL like he knows anything. I don't care about his draft projections, most of the time they're pretty good I guess. I just hate when he shows up this time of year and talks the league at all.

I wouldn't say Jay Bilas and him are the same. Bilas at last contributes for the entire year and doesn't just show up on national sign-up day and talk chalk like he knows the sport as good as anybody else.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I really don't find him annoying at all but I just think he has an extremely easy job, one of the easiest jobs in sport media IMO.

Crimson
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Well he gets paid by espn to do whatever they want him to..why would he lack confidence in anything he's gonna talk about? It doesn't matter if he gets like 20% of his playoff predictions right.

Nervous Ferret
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
How do you even end up as the draft guru or whatever you want to call it? Is there schooling for that, or is it just like, hey 'lets make mel kiper the draft guy'

Kris P Lettus
04-08-2008, 11:27 PM
He prolly was a major "scouting report" guy and has turned that into his current position..

Skippord
04-09-2008, 12:15 AM
How has Skip Bayless not been fired like 10 times

Jesus Shuttlesworth
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
How has Skip Bayless not been fired like 10 times

He acts like an idiot on purpose, that's why

Innovator
04-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I love on draft day how he looks like he hasn't slept in a week

VonErichLives
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
if I remember correctly Kipper is "self made" and did all this scouting/draft stuff for about 10yrs for his own guide/business before espn put him on air.

the Bill Tobin thing was classic.

BCWWF
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
My opinion on Mel Kiper changed quite a bit after reading his Wikipedia last year. He really has no credibility. You'd think he was some average college player who excelled at scouting after he was done playing, or that he was one of those graduate assistants at some big program who everybody could tell was going to be a star. Instead, he is just some guy who went to community college and basically started hardcore predicting drafts before anybody else.

He was hired to ESPN because he had been doing that for a long time and had some credibility in the field. It's the same thing with Joe Lunardi. ESPN doesn't just hire a random guy and say "You are my Bracketologist" all of a sudden.

Hanso Amore
04-12-2008, 07:07 AM
I hate him.

He is a great scout for a network guy. if he was the best a team would hire him, but for his job I think he does a great job evaluating and ranking. He is wrong sometimes, but the draft is a crapshoot, and if your right 3 out of 5 times, your GOLD.

His porblem is he "predicts" what teams will do, and he ends up looking like a fucking tard, because the teams have their own plans that he is not keen to.

If they just rolled him out around draft time to teach me about prospects and give me an idea of who and what is out there, I would like him alot more. Leave the guessing to Miss Cleo.

Gertner
04-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I know the draft is his thing, jackass, I never debated that point.

What gets on my nerves is that he comes in and talks the NFL like he knows anything. I don't care about his draft projections, most of the time they're pretty good I guess. I just hate when he shows up this time of year and talks the league at all.

I wouldn't say Jay Bilas and him are the same. Bilas at last contributes for the entire year and doesn't just show up on national sign-up day and talk chalk like he knows the sport as good as anybody else.

You just said that he doesn't know what he's talking about, and now u say his projections are pretty good?

I'd rather have people like kiper put in situations where he's useful people like Bryant Gumbel who are frigen clueless.

VonErichLives
04-12-2008, 03:41 PM
My opinion on Mel Kiper changed quite a bit after reading his Wikipedia last year. He really has no credibility. You'd think he was some average college player who excelled at scouting after he was done playing, or that he was one of those graduate assistants at some big program who everybody could tell was going to be a star. Instead, he is just some guy who went to community college and basically started hardcore predicting drafts before anybody else.

He was hired to ESPN because he had been doing that for a long time and had some credibility in the field. It's the same thing with Joe Lunardi. ESPN doesn't just hire a random guy and say "You are my Bracketologist" all of a sudden.

See, I don't care if he ever played the game or not, don't see how that makes him better or worse as a scout. As long as he studies and prepares and knowns his stuff.

is he always right? no, but heck look at how many teams draft 1st round busts so no one is perfect.

The thing with him and Bill Tobin was classic.

also, insert some Kane Knight quote here about Wikipedia being useless as a source and full of lies.