PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead is overrated

Bad Company
04-16-2008, 01:38 AM
THERE. I SAID IT.

I do not get the hype surrounding them. I like some songs on OK Computer, The Bends, and Pablo Honey, but they are hardly the Gods everyone makes them out to be.

Must just be my taste I guess. But I am certainly not a fan of Radiohead.

Requiem
04-16-2008, 01:41 AM
You said it - Must be your taste.

Cause Radiohead are greatness. Hadn't even heard much from them until In Rainbows, and then I -had- to get the rest of their stuff. Love them so much.

CSL
04-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Radiohead bore the shit out of me. And Thom Yorke is a cunt

ron the dial
04-16-2008, 02:03 AM
i love radiohead, but i understand how people wouldn't like them.

Downunder
04-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Radiohead bore the shit out of me.

Indifferent Clox
04-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Wrong.

Requiem
04-16-2008, 02:15 AM
i love radiohead, but i understand how people wouldn't like them.

Yeah. It is very similar to how Modest Mouse is just too weird for some people. Radiohead is a different style that takes some getting used to. And if you just plain don't like that really mild style then you will just not really feel attraction to the music. I on the other hand think Thom puts more emotion and feeling into his music than most artists out there. It is raw and not boring in the least to me.

Kane Knight
04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Radiohead is like IWC darlings to me. I mean, I can see positive points to most of the songs and the like, but I can't understand the hype, that people are jumping on them like they're somehow earth shattering.

FakeLaser
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I love them.

thedamndest
04-16-2008, 01:30 PM
See, I like Radiohead but then I hate all the other new bands that people assure me I will like because I like Radiohead. I guess I don't like Radiohead that much after all, but I can see the allure.

U-Warrior
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I think overrated is the most overused word in the dictionary. At least in the past 5 years.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are overrated. In fact, I believe that is a nonexistant term when it comes to music. Music is all very subjective. What is trash to one person is the greatest thing on the planet to someone else.

Nothing is overrated or underrated. people just have different taste in music. End of story.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Nothing is overrated or underrated. people just have different taste in music. End of story.

That's what people with bad taste in music say.

Destor
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
journey

Fabien Barthez
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
It depends who you are, and what you like. Which is pretty much the final answer of any music discussion.

I like them, but don't idolise them like others seem to. Theres loads of instances where they use unusual time signatures and alot of people think thats 'like, so profound and different than manufactured pop music' but I think they do it in a really obvious way. They are like the Abba of leftfield in my eyes. Important, but Id rather dig deeper for the good stuff.

U-Warrior
04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
That's what people with bad taste in music say.

Because you're the authority.

Juan
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
OK.

Bad Company
04-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I will use the word overrated Whenever I choose. Thankyou.

U-Warrior
04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm not saying you in particular BC.

Londoner
04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Totally agree, they're overrated boring shite.

The Mask
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
i've liked pretty much every album more than the last. the first one was gash. i've not heard the new one yet. stuff like packt like sardines etc is incredible.

thedamndest
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I hate when people are like OMGS I LUV RADIOHEAD and then you look at their iPod which also contains every Fergie song.

Indifferent Clox
04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I like every album for a different reason

Pablo Honey- great alternative rock

The Bends- really introduced a more mellow side to Radiohead and had some pretty great songs

Ok Computer- Best Rock album of the 90s and one of the defining moments in rock history

Kid A- changed music, changed radiohead, I think music historians in the future may very well point to the time period before this album and after this album as it has inspired such a change in the way music is made

Amnesiac- while often called a Kid A bside album, this album is very beautiful and I can sit and listen to it and lose myself.

Hail To the Theif- again building more compositional and melodious orchestral noise, delving into politics more than ever

In Rainbows- another departure and yet the second part is similiar to each of their older albums in a certain way. Also Nude marks Radiohead's return to the billboard single charts if only because of itunes remix project.

ron the dial
04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
i could really give a fuck less if anyone else likes any band i listen to, as long as they keep making music. overrated, underrated, it's all good.

well i guess if they're dead they can stop making music.

Funky Fly
04-16-2008, 09:20 PM
i could really give a fuck less if anyone else likes any band i listen to, as long as they keep making music. overrated, underrated, it's all good.

well i guess if they're dead they can stop making music.

Why stop just cuz you're dead? Zombie rock, baby.

As far as Radiohead goes, I dig that Paranoid Android ish, but that's about all I really like of what I know of their music.

Skippord
04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I do not enjoy Radiohead

Blitz
04-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Agree with BC.

O.G Loc
04-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Still, anyone who would rather listen to Journey is a faggot in my book. And this book seems to be quite big now.

Nowhere Man
04-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I like their sound instrumentally, but Thom Yorke's voice sounds like he's constantly suffering from a head cold.

Indifferent Clox
04-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I like their sound instrumentally, but Thom Yorke's voice sounds like he's constantly suffering from a head cold.

That's called British.

Boomer
04-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Who?

Downunder
04-17-2008, 03:39 AM
I hate when people are like OMGS I LUV RADIOHEAD and then you look at their iPod which also contains every Fergie song.

Makes sense - they're both shit

ron the dial
04-17-2008, 03:45 AM
downunder is a closet radiohead fan.

Jeritron
04-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Shut the fuck up

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Kid A- changed music, changed radiohead, I think music historians in the future may very well point to the time period before this album and after this album as it has inspired such a change in the way music is made

That is such a bogus statement. The way music is made changed? Only if our in Radiohead.

Being innovative and provoking profound change within a wing of creative arts is not the same thing.

Danny Electric
04-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I love Radiohead, hated the fact that when I lived in Oxford the whole damn city is just too obsessed with them though.

Kane Knight
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
That's what people with limited reasoning skills say.

Fixed.

Kane Knight
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I like every album for a different reason

Pablo Honey- great alternative rock

The Bends- really introduced a more mellow side to Radiohead and had some pretty great songs

Ok Computer- Best Rock album of the 90s and one of the defining moments in rock history

Amnesiac- while often called a Kid A bside album, this album is very beautiful and I can sit and listen to it and lose myself.

Hail To the Theif- again building more compositional and melodious orchestral noise, delving into politics more than ever

In Rainbows- another departure and yet the second part is similiar to each of their older albums in a certain way. Also Nude marks Radiohead's return to the billboard single charts if only because of itunes remix project.

Hence the phrase "overrated."

ron the dial
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
that's clox for you

FakeLaser
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I think they are one of the best bands of all time.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I used to think Radiohead were overrated until I actually started to listen to them. OK Computer and Kid A are masterpieces.

Avenger
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
OK Computer, Pablo Honey and Kid A are very great albums but not really anything I would ever listen to.

Pablo Honey is class but that's as far as Radiohead and I go.

I appreciate that they are an amazing band but they just ain't my cup of tea.

O.G Loc
04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Wtf you talkin bout son. Pablo Honey is terrible.

Avenger
04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Who are you again?

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Wtf you talkin bout son. Pablo Honey is terrible.

You see, your opinion is wrong.

Pfft :roll:, why didn't you check with OG Loc before you posted? Could have saved us all the effort of giving your opinion any consideration.

Shame on you, Veng. :nono:

Avenger
04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I think I might just cancel my account at TPWW altogether. He's really shown I have some messed up views.

son

O.G Loc
04-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Indeed.

Avenger
04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
son

Zen v.W.o.
04-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I really only like The Bends...Pablo Honey was their attempt to fit in with the times and they failed a bit. OK Computer has some nice songs, but I dont get the greatness. After that they ceased to hold any interest for me.

Only song I like from their later shit is "House of Cards"

FakeLaser
04-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Kid A is fucking genius, you have all missed the boat if you stopped after OK Computer

Silent
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
I like them and appreciate how unique they are, I just hate the hype they get around here. Saying you think Radiohead is overrated is a death wish in the bay area.

Jeritron
04-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Kid A is amazing. Both the song and the album.

We've got heads on sticks, we've got ventriloquists

Indifferent Clox
04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Everything
everything
everything
in it's right place
Yesterday I woke up sucking on lemon
There are two colors in my head
what was that you tried to say?

Jeritron
04-21-2008, 04:34 AM
they closed with that at MSG

Londoner
04-21-2008, 08:00 AM
They're boring shite, i can't say it enough.

Indifferent Clox
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
People probably say Beethoven is boring shite.
But it's about composure and just flowing with the sounds I think it's brilliant.

Kane Knight
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
But it's about composure and just flowing with the sounds I think it's brilliant.

That would probably be a much better point if Beethoven was a contemporary artist. The main reason that people tend to call Beethoven boring is that he's 300 years outdated. Even the greatest artist will have its detractors a couple centuries later. Beethoven was a pop artist. He wrote for people living in his time period, not for the people of the 21st century.

Radiohead, on the other hand, are contemporary pop musicians.

Also, with virtually no ear for structure, no background in theory, and no composition skills of your own, I'm curious as to how you can even talk about brilliant composition. Of course, there's also your overuse of the term "brilliant," which you use on so many terrible bands that it has no meaning (boy who cried wolf style), but I digress.

Londoner
04-22-2008, 12:37 PM

KK pretty much killed your point, there.

Only people who like radiohead are people who like depressing music.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
So? I like depressing music. I also like listening to Os Mutantes from time to time. There's a time and a place.

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 12:58 PM
They have plenty of music that is far from depressing. Just because you've heard the more famous songs like "creep", "Karma police", "fake plastic trees" and "high and dry" doesn't mean you can make generalizations about all their music. Because if you had heard all their music, or a decent portion of it, you'd know what you were talking about. Which means you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.

You've like 5 or 6 Radiohead songs, if that, huh?

El Capitano Gatisto
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think those songs are that depressing to be honest. They're hardly jovial but not exactly maudlin either. "Exit Music" is a depressing song, no question. "How To Disappear Completely" too I suppose but it's beautiful.

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I named those because they're mainly their biggest hits, and was trying to explain to a non-fan who's likely only heard their songs that get radio play. None of them are very upbeat. A song like Just is pretty up tempo though

Londoner
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
They have plenty of music that is far from depressing. Just because you've heard the more famous songs like "creep", "Karma police", "fake plastic trees" and "high and dry" doesn't mean you can make generalizations about all their music. Because if you had heard all their music, or a decent portion of it, you'd know what you were talking about. Which means you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.

You've like 5 or 6 Radiohead songs, if that, huh?

Ive heard a few, couldn't be fucked listening to anymore, not my sort of thing.

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
That's fair enough. That's your option. But before saying they suck in general, and not just to you based on the song you heard, I think you should check out a few more songs. Not because I want to push them on you, but just because you're under the impression that their music is all depressing which is kind of a misconception created by mainstream radio play and what not

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
My mood is often easily influenced by music, on a small level. With that being said, for some reason Radiohead has never really done anything but lift my spirits

FakeLaser
04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't call Radiohead depressing. Their music has a dark, almost haunting sound to it... though it's also very beautiful. They just melt me into my seat, basically.

ron the dial
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
woe is me i am so depressed and that is why i listen to radiohead

Kane Knight
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
That's fair enough. That's your option. But before saying they suck in general, and not just to you based on the song you heard, I think you should check out a few more songs. Not because I want to push them on you, but just because you're under the impression that their music is all depressing which is kind of a misconception created by mainstream radio play and what not

To be completely honest, I somehow doubt listening to more tracks will in any way change his opinion. Just an amazing predicition from someone who has listened to too much Radiohead, and has some small insight into what TL likes for music. I don't know him intimately or anything, but it takes a very small amount of deductive reasoning to think the off-radio stuff isn't going to change his opinion.

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe not of him liking them or not. But of their music being all depressing, I would hope so

Jeritron
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
and I do think you know him intimately

Indifferent Clox
04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
everyone knows radiohead is emo. duh.

:shifty:

I still stand by the fact that music is music and I don't care when it was created, it's music. If you're trying to a appeal to a certain group of people that's cool, but I mean I feel that classical music and certain music nowadays will be timeless. But that's just my opinion.

Kane Knight
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
and I do think you know him intimately

Nah. The Mask is the only one who's crossed an ocean to hook up.

I do, however, know many of the Canucks on this board intimately.

I still stand by the fact that music is music and I don't care when it was created, it's music. If you're trying to a appeal to a certain group of people that's cool, but I mean I feel that classical music and certain music nowadays will be timeless. But that's just my opinion.

Translation: Your argument was shot so full of holes, it could pass for a pair of fishnet stockings, so now you're trying to shift your claims as a stopgap measure.

But I'll followup anyway, because now I'm curious. Do you really believe "classical" music is timeless, or just certain artists? Because certain artists are timeless, but to say classical music is timeless is just fucking stupid. Now, Beethoven is timeless, but he's the cream of his contemporaries. Radiohead ain't Beethoven, comparatively.

Pete Cash
04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Mozart is probably the cream of that era so to speak.

Anyway, I don't exactly love Radiohead but they are obviously one of the better bands going. Especially within their own genre. I wonder who is overrating them though, because it isn't like I see Radiohead all the time.

They are popular within a certain crowd of people, but at least the make decent music.

Kane Knight
04-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Mozart is probably the cream of that era so to speak.

Fair enough, providing one is linear enough to need to specify that only one person can qualify as "cream."

Blue Demon
04-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Fair enough, providing one is linear enough to need to specify that only one person can qualify as "cream."

I'll show YOU cream :naughty:

Loose Cannon
04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
they are ok. not one of my favorites though.

Boomer
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
In Rainbows (in my opinion anyway) is their most uplifting album to date. That's what struck me about it so much.

I'm not really one to argue about how good a band is...so I won't. Radiohead helped me appreciate music like I never had. I love them. That's really all that matters to me.

Mr. Nerfect
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
A really good friend of mine is really into them, and he generally has a good taste in music (like a really good taste), so I listened to a few of their songs and they're just not for me. I can get why people like them, but they come off like they're trying too hard to be different and as a result strike me as a little pretentious.

I liked the video for Karma Police more than the actual song.

Requiem
04-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I dunno. There is only so long you can be 'trying to be different' until you are simply your own style and not 'trying' anything. Radiohead have been around long enough to really define their own style, as well as evolve as a band noticeably through the years. You can just hear the change in their sound from album to album to what it is now.