PDA

View Full Version : Petey Williams appreciation thread.

Ruien
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2876575884907478200&q=petey+williams+tribute&ei=oCUISLjiAo7YqALg862VAQ&hl=en

Not many tributes on Williams, found none on his recent stuff. But who waste their time on wrestlers from TNA.

Mercury Bullet
04-18-2008, 12:36 AM
He's okay. I don't know that he should get an appreciation thread though.

Mr. Nerfect
04-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Petey Williams is pretty damn good. I wish he got to use that TNA World Heavyweight Title shot when he had it. It might have made the World Title look like a joke, but he could have done what Edge did in the WWE, and pick the right time and the right place, and won the TNA World Heavyweight Title, even if it was just a transitional reign.

He's nowhere near that level, I know, but it would have at least been something for the guy.

Mercury Bullet
04-18-2008, 12:45 AM
I think he belongs in the X-Division Title scene...I don't think he has any business in any world title matches however.

Mr. Nerfect
04-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I think he belongs in the X-Division Title scene...I don't think he has any business in any world title matches however.

I agree and disagree. On one hand, the X-Division is definitely better for Petey, on the other hand, TNA backed themselves into a corner with him when they gave him the title shot. Well, sort of. They just had him lose it. If he had kept the title shot, logically, he should have been able to successfully cash it in. Whether or not he should have been given the title shot in the first place is a question I'd have to answer with "no."

I'm just trying to imagine how awesome it would have been for Petey Williams to attack Kurt Angle, beat him to a pulp using a foreign object, or something, and then cash in his TNA World Heavyweight Title shot and become a World Champion. He has either cashed in his X-Division Title shot by now, or he still has it, and he does that next, and we get Petey Williams as TNA World Champion and TNA X-Division Champion, only for him to forfeit the TNA World Championship, and instead say he wants to focus on the X-Division Title.

You can then have Kurt Angle call out Petey, and claim that he just knew he'd get destroyed one-on-one, and you have Petey take exception, and have a few matches between them for both the TNA World Heavyweight Title and TNA X-Division Title, perhaps with some wins being traded.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind Petey flirting with the occasional main event match. Like Rey Mysterio used to.

Heros Welcome
04-18-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm a big fan of Petey. I like the fact that now he is X champ, but I don't like him being Scotty Jr. I loved his run with the belt back in 04 with Team Canada. Thats what I have been waiting for again. Him being a loner and just terrorizing the division with the Canadian Destroyer. But I'll bit the bullet. I'm happy he is on TV with a prominent role now.

Mr. Nerfect
04-18-2008, 03:36 AM
I want to see Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal vs. Scott Steiner & Petey Williams. Opponents as Sacrifice, as well as mentors and students. Throw in Kurt Angle & AJ Styles.

Dorkchop
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
He is ok. I'll never mark out for him, but he's a good guy to keep around.

TNA are cheap bastards, and his chainmail head dress looks like tinfoil.

Loose Cannon
04-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I've said it before. A couple years back, they pushed Williams to the moon and he was as over as anyone in the company. But like TNA always seemed to do, they built him up and when he got to a certain point, they killed him. He could of been in a World Title program easily at one point.

Heros Welcome
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U20_Q8THm9U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U20_Q8THm9U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This is when I thought Petey kicked all kinds of ass. Love this match, plus the finish I think is the best Canadian Destroyer to date.

BigDaddyCool
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Who here is suprised Noid is a big petey williams supporter?

Kane Knight
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
A wrestler almost nobody cares about? I'm shocked.

Sting Fan
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Is it wrong that I often cant tell you two apart?

Same I hate Noid fan club shirt maybe?

Mr. Nerfect
04-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Who here is suprised Noid is a big petey williams supporter?

Who here is surprised that BDC isn't? He's normal size and he doesn't completely suck.

Fox
04-19-2008, 04:48 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U20_Q8THm9U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U20_Q8THm9U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This is when I thought Petey kicked all kinds of ass. Love this match, plus the finish I think is the best Canadian Destroyer to date.

That is the TNA that I enjoyed watching.

Now AJ is a cowardly heel instead of a bad ass high flying face, and Petey is apparently Scott Steiner's bitch (as I'm understanding; I haven't watched TNA in awhile)? So fucking stupid.

Ruien
04-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I am almost 100% sure that Stiener will be giving Petey the rub at the end of it all.

McLegend
04-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Petey is not normal size.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Petey is not normal size.

He's 5'7, 180lbs according to Wikipedia. I can grant you that he's a little short, but 180lbs is about average for males to weigh, isn't it? I just did some research, and apparently the Canadian male's average height is 5'10 and weight is around 182lbs.

So technically speaking, Petey would fall just under average, but he's not abnormally sized, or anything.

Destor
04-20-2008, 05:49 AM
180 for 5'7 isn't average.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 06:01 AM
180 for 5'7 isn't average.

Putting weight to height, Petey would then logically be above average. :y:

6to1
04-20-2008, 09:06 AM
they need the 3 way match jay shark boy and petey pump. that would be the best

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Putting weight to height, Petey would then logically be above average. :y:

So then, you admit you're a liar.
Here it comes, folks...
:y:

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
On a side note, I thin Noid hit it on the head with the "Doesn't suck" line. I mean, I know he's wrong about BDC's thoughts on Williams, but it's more important to note that really, not sucking is probably the most impressive thing that Williams does. And that's the problem.

U-Warrior
04-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Solid performer.

Comes up with some nice spots in every match.

There's far better out there however.

Xero
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Too bad he'll always be known as the Canadian with the retarded flip.

The Optimist
04-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Tiresome.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
So then, you admit you're a liar.
Here it comes, folks...
:y:

:lol: Honestly, you are fucking retarded. Petey Williams is not an abnormal size. Being 250lbs+ would statistically be abnormal. A few pounds off center is not.

Also, Williams is better than not sucking. He's quite good, exciting to watch, and pretty over (ignoring the conceptions about Impact Zone fans cheering everyone, which is true to an extent, they are a lot more invested in Williams than a lot of other guys).

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Too bad he'll always be known as the Canadian with the retarded flip.

Actually, don't most people consider the Canadian Destroyer a pretty cool finisher? You don't make up the majority, Xero.

Impact!
04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
they need the 3 way match jay shark boy and petey pump. that would be the best

Out of the entire X Division you chose Shark "Cone Stold" Boy V Petey "Canadian Maple Leaf" Williams V Jay "Black Machismo" Lethal. Seriously?

No AJ Styles, Curry Man, or MCMG?

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
:lol: Honestly, you are fucking retarded. Petey Williams is not an abnormal size. Being 250lbs+ would statistically be abnormal. A few pounds off center is not.

Also, Williams is better than not sucking. He's quite good, exciting to watch, and pretty over (ignoring the conceptions about Impact Zone fans cheering everyone, which is true to an extent, they are a lot more invested in Williams than a lot of other guys).

Read the black font, and revel in how silly you look.

Then go back to calling me retarded and bitching about me calling people retarded.

Williams is decent, but he really lacks anything standout besides a semi-unique finisher. Give some other random indie wrestler, who is also decent, the same move and you've got more or less the same end result. These same generic platitudes could refer to dozens of performers, except being over, which even by your own admission is kind of nonsense, and only doesn't apply to most because they're not in TNA. Sorry.

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Actually, don't most people consider the Canadian Destroyer a pretty cool finisher? You don't make up the majority, Xero.

Nor do you, so I'm not sure it makes any difference, especially since the fact that you formed your statement as a question doesn't instill me with the confidence that you could actually support it.

Xero
04-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Don't most people know Petey Williams as "That guy with the cool move"?

I never claimed that I made up the majority or that I hated the move in my post (though it could be interpreted through my choice of words), I was just stating that he is ONLY and likely always will be known for the Canadian Destoryer, and that's true.

Impact!
04-20-2008, 11:42 PM

I never claimed that I made up the majority or that I hated the move in my post (though it could be interpreted through my choice of words), I was just stating that he is ONLY and likely always will be known for the Canadian Destoryer, and that's true.

I'm still waiting for a clip of Destor's Canadian Destoryer.

But back on topic, if used properly (like every other wrestler in the entire world...besides Holly, Hardcore) Petey could become one of TNA's *big* homegrown guys a.k.a AJ Styles, and um...Christopher Daniels? He's a solid talent in the ring (though nothing special) but he's got a very distinctive finisher, he's beginning to get a personality (finally) and his promo's are improving (not in great leaps and bounds, but his promo on iMPACT! last week was actually fairly good, from a Character point of view).

But as Xero said, he will *most likely* always remain (and only remain) known for the Canadian Destroyer.

PullMyFinger
04-21-2008, 01:21 AM
I personally think he's smaller than 5'7. 5'7 is average but it's average on lower end of the scale. I believe average lies from 5'7-5'10...with 5'9 being the middle average. Anything below like 5'7 or 5'6 is just really short.

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Read the black font, and revel in how silly you look.

Then go back to calling me retarded and bitching about me calling people retarded.

Williams is decent, but he really lacks anything standout besides a semi-unique finisher. Give some other random indie wrestler, who is also decent, the same move and you've got more or less the same end result. These same generic platitudes could refer to dozens of performers, except being over, which even by your own admission is kind of nonsense, and only doesn't apply to most because they're not in TNA. Sorry.

I read the black font, you ass. It meant nothing. It was merely one of those things people do to ty and back themselves up when they have little else. "Hey, if I predict someone will call me on something, I automatically win because I saw it coming." No, it means very little.

Other indie wrestlers don't do the same stuff as Petey Williams, though. It kind of makes your point moot. Hell, you give Stone Cold Steve Austin's marketability to a wrestler and you'd have a money making guy. He wasn't that special. :roll:

TNA makes it hard to gage, I will give you that, but Williams has seemed consistently over. Not everyone in TNA, believe it or not, can say that. I'm not saying the guy is the greatest thing since sliced bread, so don't turn it into that. We both agree the guy is pretty good. I am just saying "pretty good" and you are saying "not bad." There is nothing wrong with being pretty good, though. I also can't see why the guy can't grow. It's a different example, but who would have thought Deacon Bautista would eventually become so successful as Batista?

The guy might be over because of his flipping piledriver now, but you can't really say he will never be anything, and doesn't have the skill to be anything. A whole lot of shitter people have made it somewhere in life.

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2008, 01:39 AM

Sorry, I did take it as you implied in brackets. That was my mistake.

I will re-iterate my point about us not really knowing just what might happen with Petey, but arguing about a hypothetical future is pretty pointless. Let my just say that Petey could be something, but I would not be surprised if he does remain mainly the guy that did the "Canadian Destroyer."

U-Warrior
04-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh jesus christ, here we go.

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Oh jesus christ, here we go.

Yeah, I agreed with Xero. Here we go, indeed.