PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat 8 announced.

Fryza
04-18-2008, 11:31 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-968-Mortal-Kombat-vs--DC-Universe-Announced.html

Vietnamese Crippler
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Uhhhhhhhh...

WHAT?! :|

D Mac
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds cool to me. As long as they have bloody fatalities. But it's DC so maybe they might tone it down. Let's hope not.

Boomer
04-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Reports are saying no fatalities and very little if no blood.

D Mac
04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
They must be wrong. MK without fatalities is like TPWW without Diesel Mac. Meaningless.

Fryza
04-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I want fatalities, simply so I can learn Sub-Zero's, and rip Superman's skull and spinal column out of his body.

Fucking asshole.

Xero
04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
It's like Gran Turismo: Licensed Cars/Characters = No damage/No gore.

D Mac
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Well it's just rumors for now. Until this is 100% confirmed I won't write it off yet.

Reavant
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Theres no way they could get away with no fatalities... it would kill the frachise

D Mac
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Exactly. They should know there would be a shit load of furious people.

ClockShot
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
The only way this could work is if Green Lantern's ring got a shot of Kryptonite in it.

U-Warrior
04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Reports are saying no fatalities and very little if no blood.

I've no idea why. DC can be pretty violent. Especially in the past decade. And even more so in the big crossovers.

Xero
04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
How many DC movies/comics/whatever have actual gore in them?

I seriously can't see them putting it out with the fatalities. Especially considering they'll likely give it a T rating.

BigDaddyCool
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Pass.

U-Warrior
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM

I seriously can't see them putting it out with the fatalities. Especially considering they'll likely give it a T rating.

Well some examples are a villain cutting up green lantern's girlfriend, and sticking the parts in his fridge.

The joker shooting batgirl in the spine, then taking nude photos of her and showing them to her dad.

Aquamans hand being held in a pool of pirhanas till they eat every bit of it.

Lots of stuff like that.

Boomer
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Gamespot has a preview which says the series most certainly will not have fatalities, but moves like them. They don't expect to see Superman or Batman ripping out any spines, but do expect them to push the limits of what they can do.

Indifferent Clox
04-18-2008, 06:36 PM
So it'll be more like batalities?

Kalyx triaD
04-18-2008, 07:10 PM
How... in the Hell... did a cross-over like this happen?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmwUP6fzra8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmwUP6fzra8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Shaggy
04-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I wonder when the final character list will be out...

I could finally kick Aquamans ass..

Vietnamese Crippler
04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I bet the story will mirror MK3: Shao Kahn gains access to the real world which is now Gotham/Metropolis :eek:

The Mask
04-18-2008, 09:39 PM
so basically what you're telling me is there have been 4 mortal kombats i had no idea about.

Blitz
04-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Real fucking weird.

Funky Fly
04-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Fuck the what? :wtf:

While a fighting game involving DC characters that isn't terrible or on the SNES sounds awesome, I'd rather it have used a better engine like Tekken or Guilty Gear. MK has always been a bit limited, and now with the possibility of no fatalities... :-\

Funky Fly
04-19-2008, 02:54 AM
so basically what you're telling me is there have been 4 mortal kombats i had no idea about.

MK 4 (pretty poo game, first foray into 3d fighting)

MK: Deadly Alliance (much better, very different) - aka MK 5

MK: Deception (almost exactly the same as DA, but with a fleshed out story mode on top of he usual tourney + ending set up) - aka MK 6

MK: Armageddon (even better fleshed out story + every MK character ever except Khameleon + Create-A-Kombatant = win) - aka MK7

Mr. Monday Morning
04-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Is it *really* that much more out there than Marvel vs Capcom?

Funky Fly
04-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Not at all, but I don't know how DC will take to the possibility of their characters getting mauled/exploded/mutilated/dismembered/immolated/electrocuted/etc.

MvC is fight until your bar is empty. No blood, no gore. See what I'm talking about?

Drakul
04-19-2008, 08:14 AM
MK: Armageddon (even better fleshed out story + every MK character ever except Khameleon + Create-A-Kombatant = win) - aka MK7

Khameleon was in the Wii version, if I remember rightly.

Not a fan of DC and I have no 360 so this MK doesn't interest me but the pairing of MK & DC does seem a bit out-of-no-where and strange.

U-Warrior
04-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Khameleon was in all versions.

Nowhere Man
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
This has got to be the single greatest mis-match in videogame history. Not just power-wise (I assume they're depowering the hell out of the DC side of things, or else Sub-Zero's gonna have a hell of a time coming up with a way to beat Superman or Flash), but the tones are completely different as well. I mean, outside of the Gotham City characters, who the hell would actually fit into an MK-style game?

This is an even stupider idea than turning Sonic the Hedgehog into a werewolf.

Mr. Monday Morning
04-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Not at all, but I don't know how DC will take to the possibility of their characters getting mauled/exploded/mutilated/dismembered/immolated/electrocuted/etc.

MvC is fight until your bar is empty. No blood, no gore. See what I'm talking about?

I might've misunderstood way back when but wasn't Armageddon basically meant to be the end of that 'chapter' of MK, so to speak? Presumably they want to take it in a different direction now. Not saying it's going to work, at all, but just sayin'.

Oh, and read somewhere that there is magic involved, hence Superman not being all invulnerable and shit.

But come on, really. Batman would beat the shit out of everyone.

Kenny
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I highly doubt that this game is going to be included in the canon of Mortal Kombat. I wouldn't even go as far as to call it MK8.

Although they probably will fabricate some kind of story regarding the earthrealm calling on the help of the Super Heroes to help fend off the forces of Outworld or the Netherrealm.

I think this game will be fun to mess around with, without taking seriously; and is probably worth a rent.

Destor
04-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Khameleon was in all versions.
Nah, Chameleon was in all version. Khameleon was on only in the Wii version.

Funky Fly
04-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Nah, Chameleon was in all version. Khameleon was on only in the Wii version.

Yeah, word. Chameleon = dude, Khameleon = chick

D Mac
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Read on IGN that they talked to Ed Boon and he said there would be finishers instead of Fatalities. :(

Jeritron
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm taking your head off, and now...I'm throwing it at your body

FUCK YOU

Indifferent Clox
04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Read on IGN that they talked to Ed Boon and he said there would be finishers instead of Fatalities. :(

Figured this would be the way it'd go, it could be bitchin' still.

G
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
WTF is a finisher

D Mac
04-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Probably where you pummel your opponent with some kind of big move for a KO or something.

Kenny
04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm not too into this idea, but I personally feel that Marvel would have been a better choice.

Scorpion vs Ghost Rider would be a pretty cool fight if it was done right.

U-Warrior
04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Who cares if they don't have fatalities? As long as it has good gameplay it won't matter.

....Oh wait

Good Ol JG
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM

If Black Adam is involved, there's gonna be someone getting ripped in half or having their eyes pushed through the back of their skull.

Kalyx triaD
04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
"Boy or not, you die today."

D Mac
04-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Seriously tho, Soul Calibur with Star Wars, MK vs DC, what's next, Tekken vs Telletubbies?

Kalyx triaD
04-24-2008, 02:17 AM
We all knew Soul Calibur would have crazy guest characters, the MK vs DC thing is really crazy. Didn't see it coming at all. I wanna know who went to who.

dablackguy
04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Supposedly Boon wanted to do an MK crossover for awhile, but everytime there was something on the table, they couldnt do it for some reason

Allegedly, he tried for MK vs SF and MK vs Tekken (which would have been sick) but couldnt get it done

Reavant
04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I liked how soul calibur had spawn in it, but they totally dumbed his powers tho

Kalyx triaD
04-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Cause having a guy as ridiculously powerful as Spawn would make for a fun fighting game character...

The thing about MK is that the universe is so wacky that it would be hard to find a suitable franchise to cross over with. Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting became King of Fighters, then they hooked up with Capcom fighters. And hey; Capcom vs SNK works like they were always within the same universe. Very few compromises needed to be made amongst play systems and characters. Everybody in Smash Bros had to obey the 'Smash Bros game engine' so they would fit no matter what. But MK? They'd have to compromise the franchise (which they did) to work with another universe. Fatalities would have to be nixed anyway if they had to cross over with Tekken or SF.

Then you got guys like Superman and you gotta think about how much blood will be allowed in a game featuring DC/WB's poster child. How much blood was in the Superman Returns game? Hell, when was the last time we even seen blood in a DC videogame? Yeah the recent comics pushed it, but that's not what WB's gonna want to hear about when they consider a medium that has a larger reach than comics (so they believe).

Then again, storywise MK been established the idea of multiple realms. It's not crazy to imagine them come in contact with a universe that also has a long history with multiple worlds. You can say the multiverse concept is infused in their seperate mythologies. Now let's talk logic...

How am I gonna see Superman vs anyone and not wonder why the fight lasts longer 2 seconds? I mean... Super-freakin-man? We got Raiden, Shao Khan, Unaga, and Fujin; the only guys I can imagine hitting Superman and getting a reaction. Everyone else are ninjas and kung-fu dudes... How's this gonna work?

dablackguy
04-25-2008, 01:40 AM
The thing about MK is that the universe is so wacky that it would be hard to find a suitable franchise to cross over with. Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting became King of Fighters, then they hooked up with Capcom fighters. And hey; Capcom vs SNK works like they were always within the same universe. Very few compromises needed to be made amongst play systems and characters. Everybody in Smash Bros had to obey the 'Smash Bros game engine' so they would fit no matter what. But MK? They'd have to compromise the franchise (which they did) to work with another universe. Fatalities would have to be nixed anyway if they had to cross over with Tekken or SF.

Then again, storywise MK been established the idea of multiple realms. It's not crazy to imagine them come in contact with a universe that also has a long history with multiple worlds. You can say the multiverse concept is infused in their seperate mythologies.

For me, that's problem A. You've completely sold out the franchise(more or less) for a quick buck.

Yeah, you'd have to compromise that stuff regardless of what else you cross it over with, but fanboys have dreamed about SF vs MK for years. It would sell like crazy and you could tweak Sf's fighting system a bit to make it fit.

Tekken imo would have been the best possible crossover. MK plays more like Tekken (with the exception of the block button and projectiles) than anything. This one would probably require the least amount of sacrifices. As opposed to what were getting which in theory, to me, sounds crappy and sounds like it'll play even worse. While I acknowledge having to wait and see, I'm far from optimistic on it.

U-Warrior
04-25-2008, 02:00 AM
How am I gonna see Superman vs anyone and not wonder why the fight lasts longer 2 seconds? I mean... Super-freakin-man? We got Raiden, Shao Khan, Unaga, and Fujin; the only guys I can imagine hitting Superman and getting a reaction. Everyone else are ninjas and kung-fu dudes... How's this gonna work?

Because it is a videogame.

10 bucks says you've created superheroes in wrestling games. But you have a problem with this?

Kalyx triaD
04-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Because it is a videogame.

10 bucks says you've created superheroes in wrestling games. But you have a problem with this?

You lost $10. Why in the Hell would I make a superhero in a wrestling game? I make wrestlers, fictional yet realistic wrestlers. None of that wacky stuff.

So yeah, I would have a problem with that.

Now I'm sure somebody's ready to pull out Marvel vs DC. I wanna say in advance that Capcom created Marvel fighters off of tweaked fighting engines they always had, so Marvel vs Capcom is more in line with Smash because of a dedicated engine every character must play to.

Indifferent Clox
04-25-2008, 02:40 AM
dude maybe it could be like The super heros powers are degraded because of the universe they are in?

Reavant
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Well magic is capable of being used on superman... other than cryptonite its the only other thing that can hurt him and pretty much every character has magic powers.... theoretically scorpion would fuck superman up. So would Shang Sung because he could take superman's soul which would then make shang unstoppable... i sound like a fucking geek and now im going to stop. SPAWN RULES

Kalyx triaD
04-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Speaking of which; Spawn would fit in the MK universe pretty well. Darkness and Witchblade, too.

Funky Fly
04-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Marvel vs DC made by Capcom would have been a much better game. 25-30 Marvel Guys, 25-30 DC guys, 1 or 2 hidden Street Fighter dudes, and the twin universes from that Marvel/DC crossover ish in the 90s as bosses. That game would be sexcellent.

I just think that MK is the wrong engine to put this shit on. It's a mediocre game engine at best, and it's only real selling points since going 3D have been gore, konquest mode and create a kombatant.

U-Warrior
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Kalyx, superman is weak against magic. Everyone in mk is harry potter on some level.

Funky Fly
04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Frankly, Soul Calibur vs MK would have been glorious if they left all the development to Bandai Namco and all (ok, like half) the storyboard to Midway.

U-Warrior
04-26-2008, 10:36 AM
No all the storyboard to midway. As much as I bash mk for it's gameplay, it's got the best mythology of any fighter out there.

The Japanese can't create a decent, cohesive storyline for a fighting game to save their life. Have you see the plot for tekken 6? Ugh.

Kalyx triaD
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the system they use is to create compelling fighters with nice backstories and designs, but how they relate to the rest of the fighters are more an after-thought. This would have to explain DoA.

D Mac
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I liked the MK chess. TBH