PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from watching Supergrass...

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
They really do rule. Manchester Accademy 1. Didn't catch the support because my Goddamn girlfriend to a really long time to get ready. They were called Seargent though. Meh.

Came on, opened with Diamond Hoo Haa Man. I was hoping they would, because that is a rip-roaring rifftastic tune. They played basically half of their new album, which was no bad thing since it's by far their best album of this decade. The rest were all the classic singles. Sun Hits The Sky, Richard III, Late In The Day. Did an encore of Moving, Pumping On Your Stereo and Caught By The Fuzz.

Basically, they were fucking excellent. They have always been excellent. Anyone who doesn't have a copy of I Should Coco or In It For The Money should really mosey over to Demonoid and sort that out.

Next few gigs coming up are The Fall in Salford on May 3rd and Paul Weller in Blackpool May 8th.

:D

Danny Electric
04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
I used to love Supergrass and then I met them, biggest bunch of pricks ever.

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM
There is an oportunity to tell a more descriptive version of the tale, here. Just swooping in and attacking their personalities with no explaination or justification is just a post straight out of pointless-negativeville.

Tell a story or be constructive.

The Mask
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
my brother was playing academy 3 tonite

The Mask
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
note: i was in bed rather than there

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 08:56 PM
academy 3 is the basement one right?

I have been to shitloads of gigs there, but they all seemed to be in the upstairs of the SU, which is 2 I think. We played the unsigned night a few times at 2.

Danny Electric
04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Gaz Coombes is an asshole and so is Mickey, they walked into the Zodiac in Oxford once. So my mate offered to buy him a drink, said he saw them play in Australia once. Gaz basicaly turned round and told him to fuck off and then walked off.
He was acting like a cock all night too, arragant and all.

The Mask
04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
not sure. i don't remember how the academy works as it's been a while. seen plenty of bands there but i think it was all the same one.

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 09:11 PM
So the conversation went...

Mate: Hi! I saw you guys play in Australia, canI buy you a drink?

Gaz: Fuck Off. (walks away.)

I don't really buy it. He isn't Eyeball Paul.

You tell the story like a bitter man, man. :shifty:

The Mask
04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
barthez, how old are you sir?

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Fabien Barthez
/m/cheshire

Fabien Barthez
:naughty:

Danny Electric
04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Well I was there. I don't really give a fuck about Gaz Coombes anyway but my mate was a huge fann and he blew him off straight away.
He has a reputation around Oxford for having an attitude problem anyway.

The Mask
04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
cheshire? fucks sake. i thought you were manc. was gonna ask if you fancied jamming sometime.

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
So does every famous person who goes out on the piss in their home town.

Maybe he wanted to spend time with his people, and felt like going to somewhere anyone else would.

I bet he was totally polite even though he didn't spare much time.

I mean, just because a musician walks into the bar you are at, doesn't mean he wants to sit down with you and reel out anicdote about his life on the road.

You might very well be right....

Fabien Barthez
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
cheshire? fucks sake. i thought you were manc. was gonna ask if you fancied jamming sometime.

It's like a 20 minute drive into Manc. MSN me dude, i'm always up for playing with new people. :drool:

Danny Electric
04-18-2008, 09:31 PM
He didn't want that (my mate), was just being polite.
Gaz weren't polite at all.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Academy 2 - first floor
Academy 3 - Second floor
Club Academy - basement of SU (i think)

I didn't know Supergrass were still going, to be honest. And meh, anyways.

Danny Electric
04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
They took some time out because their drummer broke his back falling out of a window (?). But on the comeback now.

Fabien Barthez
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Was Mick, Bass Player.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-23-2008, 05:57 AM
On Supergrass being pricks, back in my first year of university they played our Fresher's Ball (they were brilliant) but somehow ended up back in the house next door to us for a drinking and ISS (as Pro E was known then) session with a few mates of mine. Apparently they were tremendous fellows. I wasn't there but I was reliably informed.

So it's 1-1.