PDA

View Full Version : So...fundamentals

BigDaddyCool
04-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Is that all you need for a wrestler to be great or is that all Noid needs?

Discuss.

SammyG
04-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Fundemnetals huh? God, you are a stupid redneck that can't spell.

BigDaddyCool
04-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Yes, we have established that. But was about fundamentals?

Kane Knight
04-19-2008, 04:16 PM
We really shouldn't single out 'Noid. It's an IWC thing. Anyone who can work a 30 minute match where 28 of that is armbars is awesome.

BigDaddyCool
04-19-2008, 04:18 PM
ARMBARS ARE AWESOME!

Jeritron
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
ARMBAR!

Fox
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I think guys like Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit (for a long time), Elix Skipper, and Val Venis are all proof that you need much more than just the fundamentals to be a great wrestler.

Take Kurt Angle for example. An amazingly gifted athlete who made a smooth transition from amateur wrestling to professional wrestling. He had incredible skills on the mat (including armbars), but he also had amazing charisma, mic skills, and a marketable, legit gimmick that made him a superstar.

I mean, Benoit was pretty much nobody in the U.S. until he broke Sabu's neck, am I right?

Jeritron
04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
just ask the man of 1004 holds.

No but seriously, charisma and 'it' are what matters. All the wrestling ability in the world is hard to makeup for it.

Look at Dean Malenko and Lance Storm compared to guys who came up with them like Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho

You can still make it and be over, but not on the level that someone with those tools can.
Someone with the character tools can also get by with mediocre wrestling ability.

NoRoolz
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah Jeritron's spot on.

Charisma is like put above everything else in the states, without that you'll never be HUGE. If you're really charismatic but can't wrestle for shit, you're still in with a chance. *See - John Cena*

But yeah guys like Shelton Benjamin need to work on mic skills and general character to get anywhere in the WWE, as wrestling fans and WWE fans are totally different things. Wrestling fans want to see good wrestling, WWE fans want to see good entertainment first and foremost, with a little bit of wrestling, maybe.

Jordan
04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Hulk Hogan

McLegend
04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Shelton Benjamin also needs to work on basic fundamentals when it comes to the ring.

Jura
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Lots of charisma and ring psychology and that's pretty much what you need.

Theo Dious
04-19-2008, 07:18 PM
I thought all 'Noid needed was a sweaty man in a towel... :naughty: ...................... :shifty:

The Optimist
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Shelton Benjamin also needs to work on basic fundamentals when it comes to the ring.
He does make goofy mistakes sometimes, it's pretty hilarious that he can make monstrous ladder high-spots but then he screws up selling an irish whip.

Testicle
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Discuss.

Apparently you dont even need fundamentals. Being a Kevin Nash fan.

The Optimist
04-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Honestly, I'd much rather see good wrestling and underused gimmicks/lackluster promos than fun gimmicks/good promos with shitty wrestling.

I search Jewtube for alot of Japanese matches.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 05:37 AM

Discuss.

At least the guys I like actually have fundamentals.

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 07:03 AM
At least the guys I like actually have fundamentals.

And nothing else.

Come on, Noid, stop hating. You're just jealous of Big Lazy getting paid thousands upon thousands of dollars to injure himself and no-sell.

[/Noid logic]

BigDaddyCool
04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Someone with the character tools can also get by with mediocre wrestling ability.

Just look a Jericho. Ooooooooo burn. I kid.

04-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Just look a Jericho. Ooooooooo burn. I kid.

No you don't. And thank God...someone finally said it.

I think ring psychology is the number one most important attribute for a professional wrestler. Tell a story, know how to set the pace for a match, know how to get a reaction from the crowd.

If you watch TNA you'll see many, many wrestlers who can do a 450 splash, but fail, night in, and night out, to get any sort of reaction from that crowd.

Also, and this may sound obvious, but you need the right booking. :y:

St. Jimmy
04-20-2008, 02:51 PM
The #1 thing a wrestler needs is Marketability. Everything else is superficial.

04-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Actually, you're right. I was just giving a smark's answer to what we think is needed. :y:

BigDaddyCool
04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
There is no one attibute that a wrestler needs but a mix of story telling, marketablity and not being some bland yet techincally sound indy fuck head.

St. Jimmy
04-20-2008, 04:32 PM
There is no one attibute that a wrestler needs but a mix of story telling, marketablity and not being some bland yet techincally sound indy fuck head.

Not true, look at Hogan. He couldn't tell a story, couldn't work a match if he it was handed to him - but he was Marketable. He's the face of a generation.

Destor
04-20-2008, 04:40 PM
hogan had charisma

Destor
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
loads of charisma

Kane Knight
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM

In fact, he can suck ass in the ring and still sell. that's why a memorable catchphrase, a good entrance theme, a pose and a solid finisher are some of the most important elements. And, of course, how good you look on a T-Shirt doesn't hurt, either. I call that the "Che Guevara" effect.

St. Jimmy
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
hogan had charisma

Isn't that included in Marketability? Maybe me definition is wrong.

St. Jimmy
04-20-2008, 05:01 PM
loads of charisma

Couldn't help but :rofl: at this from that stupid RP thread.

DROPPPPIN LOAAAAADSSSSSSS YEAHHHHH

BigDaddyCool
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Hogan could tell a story back then. Sure it was the same story of overcoming the odds and hulking out to get a win, but he could tell a story.

nailz
04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
If a wrestler wants to be great all he/she has to so is pull the trigger back a little further on the syringe. Add a great catchphrase the crowd can chant like Kane said and you have yourself a money making machine

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
And nothing else.

Come on, Noid, stop hating. You're just jealous of Big Lazy getting paid thousands upon thousands of dollars to injure himself and no-sell.

[/Noid logic]

No see, Kevin Nash is hilarious and Santino Marella is hilarious. Both deserve to make the money.

Most of the guys I like are also underrated in the personality department, as well.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Hogan could tell a story back then. Sure it was the same story of overcoming the odds and hulking out to get a win, but he could tell a story.

Anyone can tell a story. Fuck, everything in there is a story. The idea is to tell a good one. And it's not always as simple as that.

Also, I disagree with marketability. Obviously to make money you need marketability, but that's an easy out. If people want to buy what you're selling, you have something marketable. It's so easy to say "the most successful wrestlers are the ones that make money." No shit. Connecting to crowds is probably a succinct way of making point. Or looking like you do. Take Cena, John for example. The guy doesn't help PPV buys and TV ratings (although he apparently moves merchandise), so he's not really "marketable," but he's still found a lot of success within the industry.