PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 questions

Purgatory
05-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Ok, so I just bought one on Friday along with GTA IV. Some questions came up, and I'd rather get answers from y'all than call EB again.

1. I had to get the system with the wireless controllers, since they were sold out of the others. The wireless controller is actually quite awesome and I have no issues with that. What I have issues with is that there are seemingly no inputs for a wired controller. Am I missing something, or is there no way to use a wired one?

2. Downloading through the Virtual Arcade...Obviously, I have to be online. I was wondering if anyones heard of being able to just throw an emulator on a disc and install them onto the 360 somehow?

Yeah...that's all I've got for the moment. Thanks, y'all.

Disturbed316
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
1- Yes, they connect through the USB ports at the front of the console, under the flap next to the on button.

2- No idea, maybe if you have a modded console, but wouldn't say for sure.

Xero
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
As for 2, unless you have a modded console, there's no way to get homebrew on the 360. And even then I don't know how much has been done.

I know there are a few releases with Arcade titles (mainly compilation packs) but for the most part you need to go through XBLA.

OssMan
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Nah the wireless controller has no input at all cause the receiver is built in the xbox, hit the connect button next to the memory slot things and then hit the connect button on the controller

G
05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
If you mod your console, your xbox will be banned from Live.

Purgatory
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
If you mod your console, your xbox will be banned from Live.

:D Haha, that's actually quite funny. I have no intentions of modding it...I mean, I wouldn't wanna fuck it up somehow and then wind up with a $300 paperweight. I have found some firmware hacks that trick the system into reading a DVD-R as a regular game, but I'm not familiar enough with the hardware yet to attempt anything.

Another question for y'all. I noticed yesterday that it runs exceedingly hot, though from what I've read, this is normal. As it stands right now, I've got it sitting off the floor about 2 inches, propped up on blocks. I assumed it probably wasn't a good idea to let it sit flat on the floor, due to the heating issues. Was I right in this assumption? Or should I just not run it for more than a couple of hours at a time?

U-Warrior
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
If your floor is carpet, then yeah, it's bad. As long as the vents aren't blocked at all, you should be fine.

Kane Knight
05-12-2008, 04:39 PM
If you MUST put it on the floor, get a two dollar rack from Wal-Mart.

Purgatory
05-13-2008, 03:10 AM
aight, will do. Thanks guys. :)

Bad Company
05-13-2008, 06:07 AM
You can't run homebrew on the 360.

Funky Fly
05-14-2008, 06:49 PM
You can't run homebrew on the 360.

HOWEVER, if you have the time, money and knowhow, you can join the XNA Creator's Club and make and play your own games on your 360. It's only really worth it if you're capable of coding an entire game yourself tho.

Xero
05-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Easier to just mod an original XBox to get homebrew/emulators/media centers/operating systems on it...

Y2Ant
05-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone know if Region 1 DVDs will play on a 360 in the UK? Like is the DVD player part of it Region 2 only or is it multi-region? :o

Xero
05-22-2008, 06:28 PM
According to this (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=15048) article from before the 360 was released, no. Both games and DVDs have the region lock. Which are both retarded locks.