PDA

View Full Version : Times you thought it was "real"

Xero
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Taking ToVo's thread to the next level, has there ever been a time when you thought something was real in the "this isn't supposed to happen"/"shoot" sense that you later realized (or read/were told) was a work?

When they did the angle where Stacy got hit by Steiner (or maybe it was Jericho?) with the chair and they did the "X" thing I thought it was real.

Really any time the ref throws up the "X" I have that "it's probably a red herring but it COULD be real" feeling.

The One
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Back at the Royal Rumble some years ago, I think 2001, Chyna did her back handspring elbow attack on Ivory, and then he fell to the ground. It didn't look like it went wrong, but I thought maybe she strained her neck or possibly had some whip lash. It was weird cause she was 100% in control and then the match just kind of stopped and she got stretchered out. I kind of bought it just because it didn't look like anything bad happened, so I figured it was just one of those one in a million things were you do something so simple and end up totally fucking up your body in some nasty way.

Turns out, all scripted, Chyna just did a bad job of performing the move in a way that would convince fans she got injured, which in it's own weird way, made it more convincing.

Hanso Amore
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I honestly thought when Matt HArdy FIRST returned and attacked Edge had a shot at being legit.

It was well done.

Xero
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
They did the first one really well, with Matt attacking Edge in the back. While it was fairly obviously a work, it really did come off well.

I think it would have been perfect if they did the one where he attacked Edge in the ring first. At least that would have been more believable than Edge being attacked in the back.

The best part was when he plugged Ring of Honor, but when he did the "I'm going to get you Adam/Amy" in his robotic voice it sort of killed it.

Kane Knight
05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it was Benoit who looked like he was seriously concussed.

Also, there was that split second when Lesnar F-5ed the Big Show and the ring collapsed. That seconmd before reasoning kicked in and I knew it was fake, I was all "holy shit!"

Indifferent Clox
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
They did the first one really well, with Matt attacking Edge in the back. While it was fairly obviously a work, it really did come off well.

I think it would have been perfect if they did the one where he attacked Edge in the ring first. At least that would have been more believable than Edge being attacked in the back.

The best part was when he plugged Ring of Honor, but when he did the "I'm going to get you Adam/Amy" in his robotic voice it sort of killed it.

vid of him plugging ROH?

Xero
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7r6Ldj62azM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7r6Ldj62azM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Indifferent Clox
05-19-2008, 05:22 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6pdNnCKz8CE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6pdNnCKz8CE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:(

Theo Dious
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
They were trying so hard to convince the IWC that that was a work by mentioning ROH.

Reaching back a bit, for years I thought that HBK's passing out during the match with Owen was real.

The Chyna thing that Tovo mentioned too, for the same reasons. It just looked too shitty to be a work. Guess more than one person didn't count on how god awful Chyna is.

As an aside, I used to work with this complete idiot who, along with believing that Rikishi and Yokozuna were the same person, told everyone he knew that Austin was legit hit by a car.

Additionally, for a long time I thought that Hulk Hogan was actually a good guy. :shifty:

Juan
05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Reaching back a bit, for years I thought that HBK's passing out during the match with Owen was real.

Same here. That, and when the Undertaker "died" the first time.

Theo Dious
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
That, and when the Undertaker "died" the first time.

Thank God you were like ten at the time.

Juan
05-19-2008, 05:55 PM
LoL I think I was actually.

NoRoolz
05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
I remember the way I first heard of WWF or wrestling at all for that matter, I was about 7 years old and my neighbour who was about 10 at the time said to me:

"OMG I watched this thing last night called WWF and these two brothers had a fight inside like a cage thing and their Dad was watching!" and went into detail about this fight.

I couldn't believe it and remember thinking that I kinda wanted to see it but at the same time really didn't want to see it, and I can recall feeling like a bit sick at the thought of it.

Theo Dious
05-19-2008, 06:19 PM
"OMG I watched this thing last night called WWF and these two brothers had a fight inside like a cage thing and their Dad was watching!" and went into detail about this fight.

That kind of describes my childhood actually.

NoRoolz
05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I def don't want a body massage.

thedamndest
05-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I remember when Savio Vega jumped over the rail to help Razor at one of the IYH's. Thought he was a crazy fan.

Evil Vito
05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah I started watching when I was like 9-10 or so and I watched WCW. Goldberg was my favorite and when he lost to Nash at Starrcade I was shocked and thought Hall legit tasered Goldberg.</font> :(

U-Warrior
05-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Everytime I watch a Shinya Hashimoto Match, I can't tell if he's shooting, and really wants to kill the other guy.

El Fangel
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
To this day I still think that Orton pinning Foley at WM 20 was not supposed to happen.

Mooияakeя™
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7r6Ldj62azM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7r6Ldj62azM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

She clearly says "What the fuck was that" the first time round.

U-Warrior
05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Everytime I watch a Shinya Hashimoto Match, I can't tell if he's shooting, and really wants to kill the other guy.

Actually, upon retrospect, he probably was.

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2008, 02:52 AM
Y'know looking back at that Matt Hardy/Edge segment, something that would made it so more better and realistic would be:

1. Don't do the backstage bit.

2. Instead of going into the crowd, have Snitsky and Kane stay at ringside. When Hardy runs in, they have to stop and look confused, as if they don't know what's going on. Then continue brawling.

Dunno, having Hardy get on the mic made it instantly look scripted. Having Snitsky go after Hardy woulda be typical "Edge's lackey" type deal. If Kane made a move as if "a fan has jumped Edge, what should I do?" it woulda come across as a real attack.

Still a cool moment though.

Evil Vito
05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
<font color=goldenrod>tbh I really don't remember the backstage part at all. But yeah I agree with Rammsteinmad. Anytime there is a scripted run in from a new worker...I think everybody should try to thwart that worker regardless of alignment. Like when Bam Bam Bigelow began his run ins in WCW, he ran in during the World War 3 1998 battle royal, and everyone in the ring: nWo Hollywood, nWo Wolfpack, Horsemen, WCW, didn't matter...they ALL stopped and tried to get Bam Bam out. Made it seem like he was legit invading unscripted.

Also I didn't really mind Matt going to the mic, but it always irked me that he called Edge "Adam" only to go ahead and call Lita "Lita" instead of Amy. They were trying to convince smarks by having him mention ROH, but him not saying Amy kinda blew it.</font>

XL
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I admit that I thought HBK's "knee injury" recently was legit. Gotta give the man his due...he sold it well.

Rammsteinmad
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I picked up on that Adam/Amy/Lita comment thing as well. :nono:

Kane Knight
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
They were trying so hard to convince the IWC that that was a work by mentioning ROH.

Too bad it was so fucking obvious.

Well, to some of us, anyway. I remember a few people on here and a LOT of people on Matt Hardy's board were convinced, but they remained convinced for quite some time.

Kane Knight
05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Y'know looking back at that Matt Hardy/Edge segment, something that would made it so more better and realistic would be:

1. Don't do the backstage bit.

2. Instead of going into the crowd, have Snitsky and Kane stay at ringside. When Hardy runs in, they have to stop and look confused, as if they don't know what's going on. Then continue brawling.

Dunno, having Hardy get on the mic made it instantly look scripted. Having Snitsky go after Hardy woulda be typical "Edge's lackey" type deal. If Kane made a move as if "a fan has jumped Edge, what should I do?" it woulda come across as a real attack.

Still a cool moment though.

You know what else would have been cool?

The first week, do it Blair Witch/Cloverfield style, except in reverse. Have someone onscreen telling them to cut the feed or change the focus or even go to a "Technical Difficulties" screen and pretend it NEVER HAPPENED.

Why? Because if some former pro wrestler jumped the fence and attacked a current wrestler, especially in this case, they wouldn't hype it. Have everyone ignore what happened. Except, of course, we all saw it. Maybe have some audio going on as the event's happening. Even throw in the "What should I do?" Sort of thing.

That might actually sell it. At least until week two, because the minute Matt's back on camera, it screams work. But eventually, it was going to be obvious that his return WAS worked.

But you know, maybe week two, he could try the same sort of thing, only security gets to him. Or an attack outside the arena. It wouldn't necessarily look likea shoot anymore, but it would have sold me a lot better than Vince bringing Matt back in a Limo.

Road Warrior
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I admit that I thought HBK's "knee injury" recently was legit. Gotta give the man his due...he sold it well.

C'mon, he landed in a perfect athletic position with his knees bent. His knee didn't even buckle, and he did the classic HBK over sell. Then he comes out on Raw and continues to over sell the knee hoping up the stairs.:rofl:

Road Warrior
05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I kind of thought "holy shit, it's real" when Zeus came to beat up Hogan, but I was 7 then.