PDA

View Full Version : Do you think WWE could be popular again ala WWF Attitude_style?

The Naitch
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
what do they have to do

Cena heel
The Rock as GM
Edge vs. The Undertaker
bring back Goldust and Booker T
They should start making fun of TNA

The Optimist
05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Edge vs. Taker is pretty fresh. They should run with that ball.

thedamndest
05-23-2008, 10:59 PM
More tag teams in general

The One
05-23-2008, 11:07 PM
It will be hard. The whole thing that made the WWF work back then was that every week they pushed the envelope further and further. Now they're a publically traded company, and perhaps more importantly, they've established themselves as a legit multi-media corporation. WWE is kind of in the same uncomfortable spot that WCW was in. They simply can't cross the line just for shock value.

In the world of professional wrestling, you need to be able to shock people. nWo was shocking and it got people to tune in. Attitude was shocking and people watched. I don't have a clue what WWE even could do to get people shocked anymore. I don't know that there is anything else. Maybe after 25 years of being an international male soap opera, the side show carnie act has run out of things to do.

The Optimist
05-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Wow. NWO was shocking?

I would blame the fact that they've latched onto the idea of Sports Entertainment at the cost of actual wrestling ability, but there's an infinite amount of other problems.

The One
05-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Are you kidding me? nWo was earth shattering when it happened.

The idea that they were invaders, turning Hogan heel, filming things backstage and in the production truck...this are all common place now, but back then they had never been done. nWo worked because it was amazing to see them break all the rules and even the fourth wall, now granted by the end it was just a watered down effect and basically nothing more than a big ass stable, but when it first got traction and put WCW over WWF, it was shocking.

The Optimist
05-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Hah. I guess if Mark Calloway and Paul Levesque showed up on Impact people would shit bricks.

Its just hard to imagine, since it was driven so completely into the ground and made so mundane.

Shadow
05-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Wow. NWO was shocking?

You kidding me? The fact that Outsiders turned the Superhero Hulk Hogan into a bad guy didn't shock the fuck out of you? The guy who was basically the face of WCW at the time? The fact that at any random moment, the nWo's music could start playing, they'd come out, fuck some wrestler up and spray paint his back didn't shock you? And they weren't jumping just jobbers either. They went after main eventers, superstars, and just anything they wanted to.

Then just about everyone was in one of the factions for the nWo and it just got boring real quick.

U-Warrior
05-24-2008, 12:24 AM
The Naitch, with yet another unique and original thread idea.

The Genius
05-24-2008, 12:31 AM
ive been watching some old attitude era raw and nitro episodes lately and there is no way wwe can ever attain that level of excitement and anticipation of what will happen next week feeling.

Bad Company
05-24-2008, 12:37 AM
They need to bring back gimmicks like doink the clown and the zombie.

Afterlife
05-24-2008, 01:05 AM
In my opinion, there is no doubt WWE can come full circle and be the powerhouse it used to be. That's not to say it will, but I won't be too surprised if it happens.

The Optimist
05-24-2008, 02:59 AM
You kidding me? The fact that Outsiders turned the Superhero Hulk Hogan into a bad guy didn't shock the fuck out of you? The guy who was basically the face of WCW at the time? The fact that at any random moment, the nWo's music could start playing, they'd come out, fuck some wrestler up and spray paint his back didn't shock you? And they weren't jumping just jobbers either. They went after main eventers, superstars, and just anything they wanted to.

Then just about everyone was in one of the factions for the nWo and it just got boring real quick.
Again. No, it didn't shock me then. It sort of made me mad but as I said in the other thread where the NWO came up it wasn't suprising that Kevin Nash and Scott Hall kicked ass. Hogan turning on the fans was a huge suprise, but the actual act of the Outsiders ruining Christmas wasn't what I'd call suprising, or shocking once they got there.

Don't mind me if I'm that out of order. It's probably logic working backwards, and a testament to how thoroughly the NWO and that type of swerve in particular has been run into the ground.

KingofKings
05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
The night the NWO formed was probly the most shocking night of wrestling i have ever watched. To turn the top face in the company to one fo the most hated in one night was absolutley genius and u cant argue, it worked!!
Unfortuantly taht will never have the same effect again because its already been done, so the wwe are guna have to think of something else which can have that impact, all i can say is good luck lol.

Splaya
05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Think about all the angles that the WWF did at that time

Mooияakeя™
05-24-2008, 04:11 PM
It's simple.

Give us something to give a fuck about.

Storylines across the board. Tag Teams be involved on TV, not jsut random matches. You have something here with Sanlito chasing the champs and Londrick being fun etc. The Mizz and Morrison are fun, they should have one set of belts for the whole of programming, not for SD and RAW.

Afterlife
05-24-2008, 05:08 PM
While I disagree with the minimalization of belts, Moonraker is right where everyone else has jumped waaaay over the boat.

You don't need to scare the viewers into watching next week. You need to make them need to watch next week. To let them pull for their heroes and hate on their villains. Characters -- not just guys in tights -- and storylines -- not just 3 week ppv set-ups; that's all you need.

Create an interest, and the fans will be interested.

The One
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Create an interest, and the fans will be interested.

Yeah, be good, then you'll be good.

Or stop sucking, once you do that you won't suck anymore.

ManayZ
05-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Cutting Smackdown and ECW and rejoining the rosters and focusing soley on RAW every week would be the first step, imo.

Heyman
05-26-2008, 02:11 AM
what do they have to do

Cena heel
The Rock as GM
Edge vs. The Undertaker
bring back Goldust and Booker T
They should start making fun of TNA
I don't know if the WWE could become as popular as it was during the Attitude Era, but they could DEFINITELY be a lot better.

Right now, here are some MAJOR pitfalls that I see (also keep in mind, I don't watch much nowadays and so my outlook may be a bit off).

Matches need to be shorter (unless it's a VERY important match). The Attitude era did a great job with this...as they realized that most fans/marks wanted quicker conclusions for matches that didn't mean as much. Most fans are marks...not smarks.
First and last segments of the show should deal with the most important storyline in the company
More significant storyline twists. Seriously - when was the last time we saw a shocking heel turn? (Cade on Murdoch doesn't count!). When was the last time we had a "whodunnit" type angle?
More triple threat matches, fatal four-ways, more "hardcore rules" matches, etc. In Attitude era, we saw far more creativity and variety in matches.
Far less emphasis on women wrestling. Women have a place in wrestling, but it has to be kept to a minimum. Terri Runnels spoke about this recently, and I agree 100% with her comments.
Anyway - I think those are a few things that could get the WWE back on track. Unfortunately however - it seems as though politics backstage are just as horrid as they ever were. The greatest ideas in the world mean nothing if backstage politics are too high (which might be the case here).

The MAC
05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree but i think that the GM should be this man...can you imagine when the music hits?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDwcJcry3fA

NeanderCarl
05-26-2008, 09:40 AM
When was the last time we had a "whodunnit" type angle?

Benoit?

Mr. Nerfect
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
It is possible, but not when they are aiming their programming at kids. They need to go for that 18-35 year old demographic. Rick Roll as General Manager would not hurt.

Stop putting the reigns on guys when it comes to wrestling, and let talent be as talented as they can be. Turning John Cena heel and into the company's on-screen "golden boy" as Vince wears all his merchandise would be a great start to freshening things up.