PDA

View Full Version : TPWW Broaden My Horizons on Indie Music

El Fangel
05-28-2008, 02:28 AM
You guys all know I am kinda ignorant around indy music, and you all know my musical tastes.

Recommend me some bands/songs I may like, YouTube links if possible

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 03:01 AM
First
You need to learn how to appreciate an album.

Think of an album like a movie, each song an individual scene. Radio has warped people's view on this.
In the Indie world Albums, not songs are typically what people listen to, usually all in one sitting.

So Here's quick history of indie and the albums you need:

Pavement- slanted enchanted, this started it all
Pavement- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Nuetral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane over the sea
My bloody Valentine- Loveless
Boards of Canada- Music Has the Right To Children
Spoon- Kill the moonlight
Spoon- ga ga ga ga
Arcade Fire- The Funeral
Animal Collective- Sung Tongs
Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam
Panda Bear- Person pitch
LCD Soundsystem- Sounds Of Silver
Sigur Ros- Agaetis Byrrn or whatever

As an ever evolving Genre you have to be up on what's out

stereogum.com- a very nice site that details leaks etc.
Pitchforkmedia.com- pretty much the mecca for new music in general and often times a good prediction for what's going to be big, for all the gruff it gets for being rather elitist, it's end of the year lists are pretty accurate and it's decades lists are nice.

El Fangel
05-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Before anyone shits on me, I am just giving my opinion on what it sounds like and my reaction to it

Pavement - Here and Range Life - Both good, They both had a sort of folk/country music feel to it, I like them so far, seem like a good easy listening band.

Nuetral Milk Hotel - Engine and In The Aeroplane - Engine had a weird nice that annoyed me, and the vocals sounded weird. Aeroplane, I like the vocals and acoustic guitar, so mixed on this so far.

My Bloody Valentine - No Place to Go and Hand Of Blood - Thank you Clox :)

Boards of Canada - White Water and An Eagle In Your Mind - Didnt like either song, was rather annoyed by them. :-\

Spoon - Jealousy and They Never Got You - I like the rhythm for both, but the vocals are what turned me off.

Arcade Fire - Wake Up and Black Mirror - Good song, liked it, felt to fit with the lyrics and rhythm. Love the beat for Black Mirror, lyrios, and vocals are nice too.

Animal Collective - Fireworks and Peacebone - I think I have heard this before, Fireworks is ok, nothing special, just ok.

LCD Soundsystem - Movement and Something Great - No, Just not my thing at all.

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur and Glosoli - Nothing bad to say, just not my style.

Bad Company
05-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Just do a google for "dudes who sound like chicks when they sing"

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Peacebone was on one of the highest rated albums of the year, i don't know if you know what to look for as far as subtelty yet.

you picked some random ass songs that weren't from the same albums

omg. man seriously you have to listen to albums not songs. and plus youtube isn't always the best quality...

You are trying to rate scenes from the godfather having only ever watched WWE.

El Fangel
05-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Have it backwards man, Peacebone was the one I heard before, Fireworks was ok, but nothing special.

El Fangel
05-28-2008, 03:53 AM
I picked some random songs yes, how many bad comments do you see, like 3-4, and they were just not my style.

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah, but if your serious I'd download that thing I showed you and see what you like on there. from there just go to those things I sent. and download all that.

El Fangel
05-28-2008, 03:58 AM
100 songs? Man are you serious?

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Ok you have to understand that in indie albums they have repeating patterns in the songs, they have subtle nuances you won't grasp if you listen to individual songs without hearing the build up in earlier ones. they have repeated rythms and melodies, it's complex much more complex than what you are used to.

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Yeah dude they are all good, gives you a great playlist and a good idea of what's out right now.

Blitz
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
First
You need to learn how to appreciate an album.

Think of an album like a movie, each song an individual scene. Radio has warped people's view on this.
In the Indie world Albums, not songs are typically what people listen to, usually all in one sitting.

So Here's quick history of indie and the albums you need:

Pavement- slanted enchanted, this started it all
Pavement- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Nuetral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane over the sea
My bloody Valentine- Loveless
Boards of Canada- Music Has the Right To Children
Spoon- Kill the moonlight
Spoon- ga ga ga ga
Arcade Fire- The Funeral
Animal Collective- Sung Tongs
Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam
Panda Bear- Person pitch
LCD Soundsystem- Sounds Of Silver
Sigur Ros- Agaetis Byrrn or whatever

As an ever evolving Genre you have to be up on what's out

stereogum.com- a very nice site that details leaks etc.
Pitchforkmedia.com- pretty much the mecca for new music in general and often times a good prediction for what's going to be big, for all the gruff it gets for being rather elitist, it's end of the year lists are pretty accurate and it's decades lists are nice.
lol wow.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM

If you needed any more proof that Clox is full of shit and doesn't know what he's talking about, this one sentence (The second one) really proves it.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Anyway, I thought FA wanted to know about Independent music, not the bullshit genre.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 08:12 AM
In the spirit of independent music, I give you the Stone Coyotes:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOwvzAhu_6E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOwvzAhu_6E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Rock It live at Pearl Street

And let me sneak in Barbara Keith's major label cover of "Watchtower"

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gd6fb6EiE1A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gd6fb6EiE1A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Since FA likes heavy shit, Let me recommend Johnny Hyde "Here comes the Breakdown," TV:616 (Can't remember their album), Gatja "Through the Looking Glass," Jiva "Masquerade," And Floater (Anything, since Floater is awesome).

Find them on CD Baby.

Fabien Barthez
05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Just listen to loads of Nebula and Icarus Line.

ron the dial
05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Peacebone was on one of the highest rated albums of the year, i don't know if you know what to look for as far as subtelty yet.
clox who cares how an album was rated? just because some dude writing for a magazine gives a good score doesn't mean that everybody is going to (or should) like it. plus, peacebone is not good.

RP
05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
just google black cock

Indifferent Clox
05-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Triple A and I both Really like Peacebone. I think that [strawberry jam] is very tribal and mixes so many genres to create a really cool blend of folk that is really interesting.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Ok you have to understand that in indie albums they have repeating patterns in the songs, they have subtle nuances you won't grasp if you listen to individual songs without hearing the build up in earlier ones. they have repeated rythms and melodies, it's complex much more complex than what you are used to.

LOL. Just lol.

Kane Knight
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
You've got to be saying this stuff for a laugh. No way could anyone actually have their head so far up their own ass as to actually believe it.

El Fangel
05-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Not really feeling the Stone Coyotes, but liking that cover of Watchtower

Johnny Hyde - Could not find anything :-\

TV:616 - Unable to locate any songs as of now

Gatja -Voices and Possible - I love you KK

Jiva - Far Beneath and Strange Dimensions - :heart:

Floater - Settling and Everytime I Die - OH...MY...GOD

Kane Knight
05-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I through in the Coyotes because they're one of the most successful of the true independents. Not only were they topping the charts at Amazon for like two years, Barbara Keith inspired the character of Linda Moon in "Be Cool." Though you might like some of their studio stuff. Try "Fire It Up" or "When Parliament Convenes" or maybe "Rock On." If you don't like any of those, you probably won't like them, but...

I'll try and remember to put up a couple of Johnny Hyde songs later somewhere.

FakeLaser
05-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Get the following songs (gonna do one per artist):

Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven
The Kills - Tape Song
Pretty Girls Make Graves - All Medicated Geniuses
Minus The Bear - Get Me Naked 2: Electric Boogaloo
Death From Above 1979 - Black History Month
Interpol - Obstacle 1
Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floors
Broken Social Scene - KC Accidental
Sonic Youth - Sweet Shine
The Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Afghan Whigs - Gentleman
Frank Black - Los Angeles
Pavement - Here
Appleseed Cast - On Reflection
Bloc Party - Luno
Magnetic Fields - Why I Cry
Amusement Parks On Fire - 23 Jewels
Sigur Ros - Untitled
Moros Eros - I Will Come Back Again
The Smiths - Cemetery Gates
Codeseven - Alt. Wave
The 6ths - Falling Out Of Love With You
Archers of Loaf - South Carolina
Bear Vs. Shark - Baraga Embankment
Cursive - After The Movies
Fugazi - The Kill
Elliott Smith - Fond Farewell
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Stress The World
Xiu Xiu - Pox
Death In Vegas - Help Yourself
DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt
Explosions In The Sky - Glittering Blackness
Pelican - Autumn Into Summer
Guided By Voices - Heavy Metal Country
John Frusciante - Smile From The Streets You Hold
Murder By Death - Those Who Left
Neutral Milk Hotel - Naomi
Black Heart Procession - GPS

All sex for the ears my man

Indifferent Clox
05-29-2008, 08:51 PM
you forgot

weezer-crab

mitchables
05-29-2008, 10:07 PM
This thread is so full of lies, misdirection and fallacy I just don't even know where to begin.

El Fangel
05-30-2008, 02:28 AM
"Fire It Up"
"When Parliament Convenes"
"Rock On"

Ill download them later I guess, I cant find them now :(

Get the following songs (gonna do one per artist):

Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven - Meh, I dont like talk/singing in songs, but I like the rhythm.

The Kills - Tape Song - No, Sorry, Not my type.

Pretty Girls Make Graves - All Medicated Geniuses - I am feeling this :y:

Minus The Bear - Get Me Naked 2: Electric Boogaloo - :y:

Death From Above 1979 - Black History Month - :y:

Interpol - Obstacle 1 - :y:

Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floors - :y:

Broken Social Scene - KC Accidental - Emily Haines reminds me of my ex, so Im not bothering.

Sonic Youth - Sweet Shine - :y:

The Arcade Fire - No Cars Go :y:

Afghan Whigs - Gentleman :-\

Frank Black - Los Angeles :-\

Pavement - Here :y:

Appleseed Cast - On Reflection :y:

Bloc Party - Luno :-\

Magnetic Fields - Why I Cry - pk

Amusement Parks On Fire - 23 Jewels - :-\

Sigur Ros - Untitled - :y:

Moros Eros - I Will Come Back Again :y:

The Smiths - Cemetery Gates :drool:

Codeseven - Alt. Wave :-\

The 6ths - Falling Out Of Love With You :y:

Archers of Loaf - South Carolina :y:

Bear Vs. Shark - Baraga Embankment :-\

Cursive - After The Movies :-\

Fugazi - The Kill :y:

Elliott Smith - Fond Farewell :-\

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Stress The World - :y:

Xiu Xiu - Pox :y:

Death In Vegas - Help Yourself :y:

DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt :-\

Explosions In The Sky - Glittering Blackness :y:

Pelican - Autumn Into Summer :-\

Guided By Voices - Heavy Metal Country :y:

John Frusciante - Smile From The Streets You Hold :-\

Murder By Death - Those Who Left :y::y::y:

Neutral Milk Hotel - Naomi :-\

Black Heart Procession - GPS :-\

All sex for the ears my man

I agree

weezer-crab :-\

Indifferent Clox
05-30-2008, 02:41 AM
just joking about weezer crab btw

FakeLaser
05-30-2008, 02:42 AM
word, glad you enjoyed

El Fangel
05-30-2008, 02:49 AM
I liked most of them, and that Murder by Death song is fucking eh.

mitchables
05-30-2008, 02:50 AM
You :-\ed Cursive and Bear Vs Shark, you lose. :(

El Fangel
05-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I could have :n:ed them

Indifferent Clox
05-30-2008, 03:08 AM
I love some murder by death, I had their cd but it got stolen out of my car.. Some mother fucker with a good taste in music :nono:

Downunder
05-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Interpol, The Pixies and The Smiths are "indie"?

El Vaquero de Infierno
05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Rilo Kiley.

mitchables
05-30-2008, 09:55 PM

Absolutely. They're all independently released artists. = Indie. They are not, however, all indie rock.

Champion of Europa
05-30-2008, 10:02 PM
I quite like Wolf Parade. Both of their Albums are great (All Apologies to the Queen Mary and At Mount Zoomer).

Two Songs by Wolf Parade (both off All Apologies to the Queen Mary):

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7G1eLTV89dM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7G1eLTV89dM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nMHGyR_i8g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nMHGyR_i8g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

MGMT are really good as well (Oracular Spectacular).

Two songs by MGMT:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9GH-yvPHSY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9GH-yvPHSY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(the actual video wouldn't embed)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bIEOZCcaXzE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bIEOZCcaXzE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thats just what I've been listening to recently.

Indifferent Clox
05-30-2008, 10:41 PM
MGMT and Wolf Parade are both very excellent

Indifferent Clox
05-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I wanna parachute some heroin and fuck with the stars

NOBODY LOVES YOU AND NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ANYWAY!

yeah those are two of my favorite songs. If I had any pos rep to give Champion of Europa would so be getting some right now.

Champion of Europa
05-31-2008, 03:31 AM
I wanna parachute some heroin and fuck with the stars

NOBODY LOVES YOU AND NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ANYWAY!

yeah those are two of my favorite songs. If I had any pos rep to give Champion of Europa would so be getting some right now.

Noted.

El Fangel
06-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks COE, But just not feeling them.

Kane Knight
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
If you liked the Rhythm of the Pixies track, try "Wave of Mutilation," "Debaser," "Gouge Away" and "Is She Weird?"

Kane Knight
06-04-2008, 12:40 PM

Well, the Pixies were released on 4AD, Artemis, and Spin Records. They only had two major label releases. Why wouldn't they be "indie?" You know, in the non-retarded definition.

Speaking of which, Mission of Burma, FA. Don't know if you'd like their more dissonant shit, but at least look up "That's When I Reach For My Revolver," "Academy Fight Song," "Max Earnst," and "Fame and Fortune."

I personally think their newer shit is actually better, with a great dissonant quality and an artistic edge, but the early shit is probably what will give you an idea.

Again, with releases on Ace of Heat and Matador records, they're definitely an indie act.

Kane Knight
06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Saw this and thought of Clox and his stupidity.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/04/25/who-really-gives-a-s.html

But even worse, my way of looking at albums would have been precious and delusional even a hundred years ago! Since the dawn of recorded music, albums were incidental to songs. In the early days of audio recording, albums weren't much longer than a few minutes anyways, and usually only fit one or two songs per side. It is only as the maximum capacity on audio recordings increased that anyone started playing with the idea of an album as a meaningful artistic entity, in and of itself.
The same holds true for radio: radio is not a format that encourages the playing of full albums, and never has been. And even if you drag me kicking and screaming a few hundred years in the past, I'd find myself looking ridiculous. Most of the music of the world before the dawning of the 20th century did not come in the form of symphonies: it came in the form of short songs. In fact, my way of thinking about albums probably dates back no later than the 1950's Cool Movement, and for most of the history of recorded mucic has only subscribed to be jazz musicians and musical avant gardists.

The guy's almost as pretentious a twat, too.

So....More indie music.

Try Morphine's Buena or Honey White. They're probably not your speed, but a fun band.