PDA

View Full Version : IYO

GD
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
In Your Opinion: Should the wwe plan an off season in the upcoming future?

Xero
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Xero
06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
It's a good idea in theory but I don't think WWE would ever do it.

It would be better to just do double shot tapings, RAW/SmackDown! on Monday and Tuesday. It would effectivly halve the travel and double the recovery time without having long gaps of nothing.

GD
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I am not saying that they need to strip all the champs and relaunch their shows. By having free time they can actually work on their in ring capabilities, identify their flaws and think of some storylines that would actually be entertaining.

Xero
06-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Believe me, burn out isn't why the storylines are shit. It's the booking team.

Realistically, pre-tapes are the better way to go working within WWE's way of doing things. Off season is the best all around, but I can't see them doing it.

Loose Cannon
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
until they learn how to create cliff hanger storylines (which is impossible for them right now), then no.

Londoner
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Realistically, pre-tapes are the better way to go working within WWE's way of doing things. Off season is the best all around, but I can't see them doing it.

Booking team/backstage politics imo.

Kane Knight
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Because Vince has surrounded himself with yes-men and people with no experience with wrestling. Just to be accurate as to the root of the problem.

If you're out for fresh storylines, an offseason is a bad idea. It's not that they're burned out, or hard pressed to come up with shit.

If you're out to protect wrestlers, a reduced touring schedule and rotating who gets the most heavily featured would work better than an off-season, anyway. Of course, we won't see the former for sure; what WWE's losing in terms of attendences, It's making up for in number of dates. We also probably won't see the latter, since they seem convinced that Raw, for example, is all about Cena, Orton, and Trips (Plus whoever else they fill the fourth slot in, but subbing one person doesn't count as rotation).

And while we're talking ideas that will never happen, actually living up to the Wellness Program would be a good start. I've said before that what consenting adults do in a fake sport should be up to them, and I stick by it. However, if you look at the doses Benoit was taking, he was not just out for a pick-me-up. I can only imagine what the rest of the roster's on, to boot. Steroids at that level will cause a lot of problems. Undertaker's tear last year looked like substance abuse. Other injuries may be steroid related, too. And that's not even touching shit like coke or meth. Just the shit you need to get a push.

WWE also is of major appeal because it draws good ratings year round with Raw. If you give an "off Season," you will see this dminish. Obviously, if it's not dishing out new programming year round it will lose that portion, bu also when WWE coems back, not all the fans will. People watch WWE out of habit; give them the chance to kick the habit, and they might not come back.

If you want rests for wrestlers, a good idea would be to schedule two week breaks a few times a year. It's not enough to heal up everything (That should be done by individuals, not companie-wide anyway), but it's decent downtime. Do a Supershow taping before the break so there's only one week "off," and then coincide such breaks in scheduling with things like the US Open/Westminster Dog Show and...Well, since Smackdown's moving from CW to MyNetworkTV, I don't even know what they'd replace it with. That way, they're not really LOSING anything (with the flagship show, anyway).

Also, I think fewer PPVs would help with buildup. Plus, with fewer "Money" matches, you reduce the risk of injury and can extend the value of certain feuds. After a while, most feuds will run out of big matches and just end up devaluing it.

Porcupine
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Tomko : No!

Bobby Lashley : NO!

Anyway, I think what WWE should do is utilize their brand split. Have an off season, but not for the whole company...just have an off season for a certain brand.

Of course this wont happen because it will mean less money on the whole for the company and they don't care about the quality of the product as long as it brings in money.

Mooияakeя™
06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
tbh, with how many wrestlers there are and how time off can actually make u miss them, or even thank the high fucking heavens (Cena anyone?) that they are off your TV there's no problems there. Taking time off here and there happens in work. It's holidays, and WWE can't really give wrestlers holiday in their line of work like we would ask for. So storyline reasons are a good idea.

it's exactly true that it is the writing team. There are soaps over here that have been goign for 30+ years and still attract millions of viewers, and just like WWE, some storylines are indeed recycled, but ffs, if one guy wants time off behind the scenes, doesn't mean that WWE is gonna collapse and go shit.

So, no, I don't think they need an off season. Not because i can't do without wrestling. Just I don't think it's needed at all.

Rob
06-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't see any reason why they can't give people 6 weeks off around December/Early January.

And they could easily extend the foreign tour lengths so guys can take their families and actually have a vacation.

NoRoolz
06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
At first my thoughts were 'No way'.

But thinking more about it, I think it'd be a great idea. It gives wrestlers time off for a start, gives everyone a break and time for a think. Plus, the last show/first show of the season would always be big shows and would likely draw big ratings. So long as booking is done well, the ratings could stay high(er).

What Rob said would be perfect, 6 weeks off around that time would certainly be adequate.

Dorkchop
06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd say no. It's very easy for WWE to give anyone a break for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. If someone wants a couple of weeks off, they should be granted those days off and be able to come back in the same spot they were before. Guys would probably wrestler a lot better if they had more time to rest up and spend time with friends and family.

Dorkchop
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Like mentioned above, it's pretty easy to give everyone time off in December and early January. WWE could tape a few weeks shows in a couple of days. Sure they'd lose some ratings due to spoilers and, but it'd probably make everyone employed pretty happy.

Xero
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Really, once you hit mid-December ratings drop anyway until the second week of the year or so.