PDA

View Full Version : Get Smart

Mr. Nerfect
06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
I am hearing mixed things about this. Some are praising it, and others are saying that it is a shitty leech trying to suck the life out of the original show. Has anyone here seen this? What did you think?

ClockShot
06-24-2008, 07:01 AM
You are correct about the reviews. Roger Ebert says this is one of the greatest movies based off a show, ever. Others said that this was a disgrace.

Haven't seen it yet. Probably won't.

Kane Knight
06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Last I checked, it had a 5.1 on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.2 on IMDB. That means the fans are, to say the least, mixed.

I'd been planning on seeing it, but now...Not so sure.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Yeah, it does seem very mixed. To be honest, I was expecting it to be bad. I know some pretty hardcore fans of the show, and they were pretty pissed off when the script leaked. They are still dead-set against supporting it. The mixed reviews, particularly Roger Ebert (who also praises the show and loves Mel Brooks, so would have a soft spot for his work, surely) have almost convinced me to see it.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I think it's gone up to 58% on the Tomatometer (5.7/10), by the way, which is approaching "fresh." It still may be "rotten," by the sites generalising standards, but I find comedies tend to crash and burn more often than not, as critics often like to praise art and shit on anything even remotely designed for pure entertainment purposes. Normally, unless the rating is really, really low, I'd boost a comedy up a few percent.

Take "You Don't Mess With the Zohan," for example. I'm sure that wasn't a great movie, but it seems like one of Adam Sandler's better ones, with some actual decent moments in it, and it's down in the 30's.

This is one of those movies I'm sure people will get around to seeing eventually, and it's a shame it doesn't seem as classic as the show, but it seems like harmless fun. I recommend seeing it, and if it makes you want to kill yourself, I apologise and direct you to The Love Guru, so you can know true pain.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I will probably mostly see it because I REALLY want to see what they did with the characters. Carrel still isn't my first choice for Max Smart (I still think that if Chris Eccleston could fake an American accent, he'd be an AMAZING Smart), but he strikes me as capable. And the Rock's been decent. They haven't spent a lot of time in the ads showing off the other characters (Even 99 doesn't get a lot of ad time as far as I can see), but I noticed Zeifried and Laraby in the cast list, and of course the Chief, and so on.

I may be outraged or disappointed, but I think this is one I'll probably have to see for myself before I can really pan it.

Blue Demon
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I saw it last night and thought it was entertaining.

Blitz
06-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Pretty funny. Carell is great.

Evil Vito
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Saw it tonight, definitely enjoyed it.</font>

Champion of Europa
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
I thought it was funny.

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Well TPWW is in, and it seems to be a moderate success, at least. A lot of you have really good taste, too, so here's hoping.

I'll reserve judgment until I've actually see the movie, but I'm not sure I like the idea of them making out that Anne Hathaway got plastic surgery. Or how they turned her into what seems (from the trailers, admittedly) like a dominant female bad-ass.

Skippord
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I enjoyed it a lot

and Ann Hathaway is crazy hot

Vastardikai
06-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I think Dhallip made the movie. Moreso than the cameos. Moreso than the Dwayne. Moreso than even Hathaway (who I want to nail) and Carell.

Mr. Nerfect
06-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Dalip was indeed good in this movie. They managed to get some entertaining stuff out of him. I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again: A face Great Khali would be far more enjoyable than a heel one.

I thought the movie was really good. I can't remember any particularly great elaborate comedic moments, but then again, to be honest, I really can't from the series, either. Both are just of high quality, though. And yes, Anne Hathaway is crazy hot.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2008, 01:13 AM
I liked it a lot actually. There were just a lot of little things I loved. And Dalip's line of "Her sister is such a bitch" was greatness.