PDA

View Full Version : J.R. almost quits last night

KingofOldSchool
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
The following is from Jim Ross' blog.

As many of you know, I was “drafted” to Smackdown Monday night in the “random lottery”. Obviously that means I will be leaving Monday Night Raw and my long time partner Jerry Lawler.

I am not happy about this surprise development.

I also contemplated calling it a career Monday night and not going to Houston to tape SD.

After speaking with my wife and thinking on this matter until 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, I have decided to do the right thing for the fans who care and the talent who care and begin my new assignment.

It has been explained to me that the WWE’s Smackdown tenure on My Network is a high priority within the corporation. Allegedly, my presence is needed in that effort.

Many are speculating about when I learned of this development…the same time those of you were watching at home. I should have detected something with the demeanor of certain individuals either thru their plastic, poker faces or the perceived smirk that I thought I might have seen on some of their faces during the day.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that’s not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

I will miss working with the King as the wrestling biz is one in which a guy can count his legit friends on one hand…even after a 30 plus year career. King has been like a brother to me….albeit an “older brother”. We will remain friends no matter that our team has been corporately imploded.

I believe that I have been strongly loyal to the WWE no matter the hands that were dealt to me over the years. In my tenure there I have earned a good living of which I am thankful. I will fulfill my commitments that I have made because unlike many in the business, my word is still my bond.

I can’t predict how long my Smackdown tenure will be, but I can promise that no matter how long or short it is that I will do my utmost best while sitting at ringside. I am not the kind of man who will “phone in” a damn thing.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me on RAW over the years. I hope I was able to provide you a memory or two. Hopefully, we can create new memories now on Smackdown.

Based on my professional experiences, I look at each broadcast as potentially my last, which helps keep me motivated. So with that said we begin another chapter in my crazy life in the unpredictable world of ‘rasslin.

I still plan on attending RAW in my home market of OKC next Monday and I hear that tickets are still available. Any one have any extras?

Boomer Sooner!
J.R.

darkpower
06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
What is it with this guy? Did he really want to hog RAW until he dies on the show or something? Jesus. He bitches every single time he's removed from the show for whatever reason. As good as he once was, he's not the best anymore, and he REALLY needs to get the fuck over it already.

JR, THERE ARE OTHER COMMENTATORS IN THE WWE THAT CAN DO THE JOB BESIDES YOU!! SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT YOUR GODDAMN BITCHIN'!!

Xero
06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
A. Michael Cole is terrible.

B. JR is still the best hype machine in the business.

C. They didn't even tell him before hand. At the very least he should have been notified.

KingofOldSchool
06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
J.R. sees this as a demotion which in all purposes it is. I would have preferred to see Foley move to Raw and Lawler to Smackdown. At least Lawler and Cole called Smackdown in the early years.

darkpower
06-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, if it's a demotion, by this, I think he deserves it.

I don't think Cole is terrible. In fact I don't see why so many people still hate the guy (besides expecting another JR or something). He's probably the best active commentator that the WWE has right now, in my opinion.

Again, I wasn't expecting that, either (I was expecting a Adamle/Cole switch myself or a ring announcer switch), but Cole does deserve a chance after all the crap he got from some fans who hasn't given him a break. I think he does very well.

And not many people knew they were getting traded. I think they only told Triple H about the trades that were going to happen (and someone else, but I forget who that was already).

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Cole & Lawler > JR and Lawler

Not by much maybe.

Plus Lawler will probably throw a tantrum every week and totally shit on Cole for the whole broadcast the way he did with Coach.

The CyNick
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I would normally say he should be a little more professional, but the whole not telling your emplyees before they go on live TV is pretty pathetic IMO. So JR owes them nothing.

That said, I do think he's being a little bitchy about it. He's had a great run as lead announcer, at some point they have to let someone (not named Coach) run with the ball. MC has been a good 2nd string guy now for years and years. Time to see if he can sink or swim.

Evil Vito
06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I don't mind the move at all, and I think Cole deserves a promotion. JR is just way past it, IMO. The man is a legend no doubt, but its time to move on.

I get the sense people in WWE felt the same way, and that if he wasn't going to retire...may as well draft him to another show, even though he might quit.</font>

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Hoenstly I am quite curious to hear JR and Foley together on the sticks.
Maybe Ross can turn heel again and bring in Fake Lashley and Fake Lesnar?

KingofOldSchool
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Cole & Lawler > JR and Lawler

Not by much maybe.

Plus Lawler will probably throw a tantrum every week and totally shit on Cole for the whole broadcast the way he did with Coach.

Foley/JR > Coleslaw/Kingfish

darkpower
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Something from PWInsider: ONE MORE NOTE ON JIM ROSS' MOVE by Dave Scherer @ 2008-06-24 13:31:09 As Buck reported, Jim Ross has made his latest blog entry at his website JRsBarBQ.com and he addressed a story that we had earlier today on the site, his feelings about being moved to Smackdown last night during the draft. As you can tell by this post, JR is not at all happy about moving to Fridays. As I said earlier, I feel Ross deserved to be told in advance about this move. His tenure and status as the greatest announcer of all time make him like the Undertaker to me, in that he should have the right to set his own course in WWE. Of course, they feel differently. I also think it's wrong that Monday's Raw is in his home state, and presented by his BBQ restaurant no less, and he was pulled from the job that he loved just in time for that. Ross is a better man than I am. I would have called it a career. That, to me, is just an excuse being made. We already knew that no one besides THE top stars (read: Triple H and I think Batista) knew they were getting drafted until it happened, so why it was alright for THOSE people to not be told but not be alright for JR to not be told screams of double standard. And remember, no one told Cole of any of this, either, so HE was shocked, as well. He thought he was out of a job for a moment. Imagine that...JR gets drafted to SD, but at least he (for that moment) still had a job, but you're standing there while someone else takes the seat you occupied for 10 years wondering if you'll still HAVE ANY job in the company. I think THAT was worse than anything JR went though that night.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Foley/JR > Coleslaw/Kingfish

I'll have to witness them in action before I concur, but I'm inclined to think that that will in fact be the case.

DrA
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Something from PWInsider: That, to me, is just an excuse being made. We already knew that no one besides THE top stars (read: Triple H and I think Batista) knew they were getting drafted until it happened, so why it was alright for THOSE people to not be told but not be alright for JR to not be told screams of double standard. And remember, no one told Cole of any of this, either, so HE was shocked, as well. He thought he was out of a job for a moment. Imagine that...JR gets drafted to SD, but at least he (for that moment) still had a job, but you're standing there while someone else takes the seat you occupied for 10 years wondering if you'll still HAVE ANY job in the company. I think THAT was worse than anything JR went though that night.

How do you know anyone felt as if they were out of a job? They could have been making Smackdown a three man color commentating team.

There is so much tainted logic in that paragraph that I really don't know where to begin.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
As I said earlier, I feel Ross deserved to be told in advance about this move. His tenure and status as the greatest announcer of all time

http://www.411mania.com/game_screenshots/1378.jpg

As I have said earlier, nothing will ever convince me that JR is better than Monsoon.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
How do you know anyone felt as if they were out of a job? They could have been making Smackdown a three man color commentating team.

There is so much tainted logic in that paragraph I really don't know where to begin.

Yeah, they'd fire Jim Ross on the air without telling him first. What twat-ass wrote that article?!

darkpower
06-24-2008, 02:29 PM

But did Cole KNOW that was the case? HE didn't know that, and neither of us did. He looked just as dazed and confused as any of us were. They might've been wanting that, but no one there even knew there would BE a draft of announcers, much less who it would be that got traded.

There is so much tainted logic in that paragraph that I really don't know where to begin.

So...if that was YOU in Cole's place when that happened, that would really be your first thoughts during those 30 seconds? Jesus, man, THINK about that!

darkpower
06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, they'd fire Jim Ross on the air without telling him first. What twat-ass wrote that article?!

The same guy that wrote the news story I mentioned here: http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80771

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:35 PM
So...if that was YOU in Cole's place when that happened, that would really be your first thoughts during those 30 seconds? Jesus, man, THINK about that!

OMG, you mean someone might have had to spend half a minute wondering about whether or not he just lost his job? Jesus fucking Christ man, nobody ever has to put up with that anywhere! Just think, 30 whole seconds of your life, after which you are told you are being given the best promotion you can recieve in your position?! BARBARISM!!! Fuck Guantanamo man, close fucking WWE for torture tactics like that! HOW DARE THEY! THINK OF THE MOTHERFUCKING CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!111

Heyman
06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Personally, I don't think it was a good idea to have JR move from RAW (especially without him being notified beforehand). JR is one of the most senior most employees within the WWE, and he deserved far more respect (even though he is a homosexual).

Add to that - as much as JR screws his words on occassion, he is still far and away the "best in the biz." NO ONE is as passionate about the wrestling biz as JR as (atleast amongst commentators). This shines through and through whenever he commentates.

Granted - Smackdown is moving to a new network in the fall (and Smackdown could use some more 'recognizable talents' on the show), but I still don't think it was a good move to move JR. Very classless on the WWE's part (although I did find JR's reaction to be somewhat hilarious. :D).

As far as JR goes, I don't think he'll quit. Too much class, and he loves the business too much.

darkpower
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
OMG, you mean someone might have had to spend half a minute wondering about whether or not he just lost his job? Jesus fucking Christ man, nobody ever has to put up with that anywhere! Just think, 30 whole seconds of your life, after which you are told you are being given the best promotion you can recieve in your position?! BARBARISM!!! Fuck Guantanamo man, close fucking WWE for torture tactics like that! HOW DARE THEY! THINK OF THE MOTHERFUCKING CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!111

Yeah, really.

Seriously, though, I'm just saying this because everyone is SOO up in arms about JR not being told he was moving to SD, when they don't even consider that no one else was told much of ANYTHING about who was going where, if anywhere. I mean, assuming they DID tell him, would that have made him any less of a whiny ass cunt about it? HE's been told before about him being written off of RAW for something, and he bitched about that, too. And he still knew he would commentate somewhere, while another commentator was wondering, even for that little time, what they were going to do with him (no one gave a shit about that), before getting that HUGE sigh of relief and excitement.

Personally, I think he REALLY needs to shut up, and people need to stop making excuses for why it was so horrible that they didn't tell him when they didn't tell anyone besides HHH and Batista about their moves if any.

Heyman
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Jim Ross used to be Vice President of the WWE if I'm not mistaken (I'm not even sure if he still is).

JR should've been treated with more respect in my opinion. JR is not simply "one of the boys." If Triple H and/or Batista were told about their moves before the show (as you suggest that they might have), then it makes this look even worse IMO.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I mean, assuming they DID tell him, would that have made him any less of a whiny ass cunt about it? HE's been told before about him being written off of RAW for something, and he bitched about that, too.

Seriously, people seem to forget what a 3-year-old girl he turned into last time.

Destor
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Personally, I think he REALLY needs to shut up, and people need to stop making excuses for why it was so horrible that they didn't tell him when they didn't tell anyone besides HHH and Batista about their moves if any.
JR is the HHH of commentary.

Rob
06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I seriously laughed sooooo hard last night watching Raw when JR got drafted. The look on his face was PRICELESS. I thought he was gonna cry.

Bottom line, NOBODY except Triple H and Umaga knew 100% they'd be drafted. Everyone was in the same position and I didn't see anyone else nearly crying over it. It's not an ideal situation but everyone basically got the same treatment. Throwing a hissy fit and not going to Smackdown would have been a total slap in the face to the brand and even more unprofessional.

Londoner
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm glad he's moved to smackdown, gives me another reason to start watching the show now. Interested to see how JR/Foley works.

Evil Vito
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
<font color=goldenrod>ROFL @ Raw being in Oklahoma City next week

Poor Michael Cole is gonna get booed to no end when he is introduced before the show. For his safety I'd have him enter with King or let JR bring him down to the ring or something.</font> :o

Rob
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Pretty good I'd imagine. I would have drafted Cole and Tazz back together personally or put Tazz on Raw.

Smackdown needed to be revamped and refreshed BADLY and these 5 draft moves helped it.

Jeritron
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
It's pretty bad that they did it the way they did to him. The least they can do is have a sendoff for him as the voice of Raw next monday in his hometown, since he'd like to be there.

But I think it's a blessing in disguise as well. He gets to join his friend Mick Foley, and call a brand that features HHH and Edge, instead of one that's Cena and Batista. With the addition of HHH, Jeff Hardy and others, Smackdown has literally overnight become an equal, and no longer a distant B brand. Adding JR as the voice of the show only strengthens this.
I think it will work out just fine, since they seem to be taking the show seriously now. You can bet HHH won't be on the B show, if he's going there, it's gonna be on par with Raw and get some main events.

I'm actually more excited about Smackdown than Raw. I only wish they left Matt Hardy be on Smackdown and Kane on ECW.

The MAC
06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
imagine if he quit and went to tna and replaced that cunt, Don West.

Jeritron
06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
JR would be more valuable at this moment to TNA than just about any wrestler conceivable

darkpower
06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I also remembered something about the match that they had TO trade the announcers.

When the three other ladies (after Melina's injury) went after each other, JR made a botch that MIKE ADAMLE schooled him on. Adamle responded to a question of what the ref's decison would be (or something like that):

ADAMLE: It's gonna be a DQ?

JR: What's THAT mean?

ADAMLE: DIS-QUAL-I-FCA-TION!!

That was before the decision came down OF the double DQ.

So...JR didn't know what DQ meant (or what the ref SHOULD do there in kayfabe) and it took someone who they dogged on all night about his botches to CORRECT someone who has had 25+ years in the business and should know more than that?

Showed you just WHY it was time for this move to happen.

Jeritron
06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
wtf are you talking about?

Also, I think anyone with a brain would be able to figure out that he meant "whats THAT mean" as in "what's a disqualification mean to the stipulation of this match"

Jeritron
06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Adamle's a moron

Mooияakeя™
06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.411mania.com/game_screenshots/1378.jpg

As I have said earlier, nothing will ever convince me that JR is better than Monsoon.

Monsoon is the man, even then to me JR is second to Lord Alfred. Heenan / Monsoon is the shit tho.

XL
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I think it's more likely JR meant "What's THAT mean...in regards to who gets the draft pick!"

EDIT: Jeriton beat me to it!

darkpower
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
wtf are you talking about?

Also, I think anyone with a brain would be able to figure out that he meant "whats THAT mean" as in "what's a disqualification mean to the stipulation of this match"

It was pretty fucking funny, though....and like ANYONE knew what a double DQ would've done with that match's stipulation.

The worst thing about that whole thing, though, was that when we saw the announcers being traded, it was like no one gave a shit about Melina's ankle injury (it was like they only reminded them of it after they went to commercial and it became an afterthought). I know that opinion won't be too popular, but still, that's what I felt about it.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I think it's more likely JR meant "What's THAT mean...in regards to who gets the draft pick!"

EDIT: Jeriton beat me to it!

Still, it was funny as hell what Adamle did with it, whether he did it on purpose or not.

darkpower
06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Still, it was funny as hell what Adamle did with it, whether he did it on purpose or not.

I agree. That was SO heel of him to respond that way. In fact, I don't think anyone had ever played one of JR's comments like that before (besides when the King did his annoying heel shtick, and I'm not counting that because I HATE the King).

Heyman
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
You can bet HHH won't be on the B show, if he's going there, it's gonna be on par with Raw and get some main events.

A part of me is still not convinced that Triple H will be working Friday Nights.

I still think that...

a) Triple H will once again be traded back to RAW
b) Triple H will "lead" Smackdown into invading RAW in order to get the "#1 timeslot."

I'm also a little surprised that the WWE's two most emerging talents (Kennedy and Jeff Hardy) were also sent to Smackdown. Something smells fishy....and it's not JR's vagina.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
A part of me is still not convinced that Triple H will be working Friday Nights.

Because it's taped on Tuesday? :shifty:

HHH still gets his Friday night fuck.

GD
06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
I guess J.R and Foley are gonna do a good job and as the shows are gonna be taped, they can easily edit J.R's bloopers.

Mooияakeя™
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
i like how he ain't "tramping on down to Connecticut"

Nark Order
06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Nobody knew? So Umaga gets drafted and just decides to go decapitate bobcore and co-rhodes without anybody knowing? Nice.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Apparantly, Umanga and HHH knew in advance

Xero
06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Kennedy would have had to know a few minutes in advance unless they had the entire roster at the Gorilla position.

U-Warrior
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Wait, Umaga and Batista were told of their move ahead of time, and J.R., legendary announcer and head of fucking talent relations, wasn't?

That's a bit stupid.

Blitz
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Definitely agree that he should have been notified, but he still sounds like a huge baby in that post.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that’s not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

That part in particular.

McLegend
06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm all for thinking JR's time is done, and wanting someone "new" to call Raw. I have no problem with a phase out.

You gotta tell JR though he is getting moved to SD.

U-Warrior
06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Why is his time done?

Cole has improved over the years, but he's still no JR. And whether you agree with that statement or not, you can't dispute that no one can deliver on the more emotional moments like JR can.

He may have lost a step or two the past few years, but I think a lot of people are overreacting to that. He's still the best current announcer, as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Nerfect
06-24-2008, 11:25 PM

B. JR is still the best hype machine in the business.

C. They didn't even tell him before hand. At the very least he should have been notified.

A. Michael Cole is not terrible. With JBL and with Mick Foley he is really quite good. Especially Foley. JBL/Cole was more JBL than Cole.

B. I disagree. JR can still be good, I guess, but he is no longer anywhere near the great he used to be. He and Lawler pretty much ruined Chris Jericho's return, for example.

C. This one I agree with. But would JR have done RAW then? For authenticity sake, I guess they might have felt like they had to do what they had to do.

U-Warrior
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
C. This one I agree with. But would JR have done RAW then? For authenticity sake, I guess they might have felt like they had to do what they had to do.

It's Jim Ross, not Bret Hart for god's sake.

Theo Dious
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree. That was SO heel of him to respond that way. In fact, I don't think anyone had ever played one of JR's comments like that before (besides when the King did his annoying heel shtick, and I'm not counting that because I HATE the King).

Seriously, accident or no, that was a total Heenan move. If they could have Adamle pull that kind of shit a few times per broadcast, he could be fucking awesome.

McLegend
06-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Why is his time done?

Cole has improved over the years, but he's still no JR. And whether you agree with that statement or not, you can't dispute that no one can deliver on the more emotional moments like JR can.

He may have lost a step or two the past few years, but I think a lot of people are overreacting to that. He's still the best current announcer, as far as I'm concerned.
I argee with him being the best, and I think he is by far actually. Still he's not going to be around forever. He's a had a lot of medical problems too. Also I think it could end up being a good thing to freshen it up a little.

So I think it's fine if you want to start life without JR, and it's gonna be good for Cole to be stepping in now, and getting some on the job trainning so to speak.

I even think JR understands that to. Still all is what you have to do is give him a call, and explain it.

JR deserves that at least.

Mr. Nerfect
06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
It's Jim Ross, not Bret Hart for god's sake.

Huh? You saw how JR reacted to getting drafted. He thought about quitting, and was complaining a fair bit about it on-air, to my understanding. If Vince called up JR before the show and said "Hey Jim, we're drafting you to SmackDown!," what would JR have done? Quite possibly have said "Sorry, I'm quitting." How would that have come off on WWE TV?

Mr. Nerfect
06-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Jim Ross moving is definitely good. It instantly adds a new feel to SmackDown!, something that the other moves of the draft (particularly Triple H) will do, as well. He will also get to work with Mick Foley, who if remains a commentator, could have quite the legendary stretch in front of him. JR/Foley could be a fantastic team, if you ask me. JR is your usual babyface-bias commentator, and Foley has been playing a more "you have to give the bad guys credit" role than he would as a wrestler. That was the kind of chemistry that made JR/King initially so good, in my opinion. Also, post-production will help JR sort his shit out.

This also phases out JR as lead commentator of the WWE. He's not going to be around forever, and seems to be taking it "night at a time." According to some of his blogs. It's a way of moving JR out of the spotlight a bit, and letting him ease into the sunset.

Ideally, Tazz will swap with Jerry Lawler in the supplementary draft, as Michael Cole and Tazz were quite a good duo, and Lawler working with Mike Adamle could be hilarious. I mean, I think I would prefer Cole/Tazz and Adamle/Lawler to Cole/King and Adamle/Tazz, respectively, so while still not perfect teams, the swaps would do them good.

Evil Vito
06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fgpa6hjlUbY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fgpa6hjlUbY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<font color=goldenrod>No Jim Ross thread is complete without this</font>

KingofOldSchool
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Wait, Umaga and Batista were told of their move ahead of time, and J.R., legendary announcer and head of fucking talent relations, wasn't?

That's a bit stupid.

Well Vince said in a conference call a month or so ago that Umaga would be moving to Smackdown.

Afterlife
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't care either way about being told beforehand. From a showmanship pov, this is really the only interesting part of the drft aside from H and Matt Hardy. Nothing else is new or surprising.

darkpower
06-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Cole has improved over the years, but he's still no JR

Why does he HAVE to be "the next JR" to be accepted as as good or even better than him? He should have his own style of commentating and what he does. He can't be expected to use the exact same phrases JR uses or whatever, so why should we expect him to?

darkpower
06-25-2008, 03:18 AM
<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody style="" id="collapseobj_usercp_reputation"><tr><td class="alt2">http://tpww.net/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</td> <td id="p2199814" class="alt1Active" width="50%"> J.R. almost quits last... (http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2199814#post2199814) </td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">06-24-2008 08:30 PM</td> <td class="alt1" nowrap="nowrap"> Kane Knight (http://tpww.net/forums/member.php?u=52) </td> <td class="alt2" width="50%">LOL. Take your own advice and think this one through.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Seriously, where was the wrong about that? I certainly would worry about my job if that was me being there (unless Cole was told beforehand).

Again, I'm seriously confused as to why that opinion qualified for a neg rep. PLEASE tell me that no one else WOULD be worried about a job at that point. Or maybe I'm not making it clear enough what I mean (how clearer can I be?).

The Mackem
06-25-2008, 04:02 AM
He probably knew.

Heyman
06-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Why does he HAVE to be "the next JR" to be accepted as as good or even better than him? He should have his own style of commentating and what he does. He can't be expected to use the exact same phrases JR uses or whatever, so why should we expect him to?

My biggest beef with Michael Cole (and most other announcers), is that they don't seem to have a genuine passion for the industry. In my opinion, that really comes across.

Jim Ross eats, breathes, and sleeps the business. Heck - even when he's screwing up his lines, he's still 1,000,000x better than the rest IMO. No one can match that passion. Paul Heyman is the only other guy that I know, that is in the same class as Jim Ross (at current day...I'm not talking about those in yester-year).

As far as color commentary goes - again, I think Paul Heyman is head over heels better than the rest....due to the natural passion he has for sports-entertainment.

JR and Paul Heyman were the greatest announce tandem ever created in my opinion. It's a shame that they're not together today. Tazz and JBL are other color commentators that I think are EXCELLENT (although I don't put them in the same bracket as Paul Heyman). Lawler, while not terrible, isn't as good as Tazz/JBL.

Just my opinion.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I was just watching the move, and Michael Cole seemed pretty shocked by it, to be honest. It sounded like his voice was genuinely cracking at that point in time. Then when he was drafted to RAW, it seemed like he was trying to hide his elation via a humble connection to SmackDown!. Probably trying to be polite to JR.

I don't know, when JR came over, I felt pretty sad for Michael Cole. I don't think the guy is that good an actor to pull it off without genuine emotion.

6to1
06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
i almost think it is a work, vince could have told him 3 months ago about moving to smackdown. vince could have said be as much of a cunt about the draft as you can.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Seriously, where was the wrong about that? I certainly would worry about my job if that was me being there (unless Cole was told beforehand).

You're also legitimately stupid, so what you would do has little to no real measure on what might be going through the head of someone with a clue.

Anyway, JR'll be back on Raw. Lawler will shit over anyone who tries to take the booth, and JR'll have a hissyfit. Anyone want to start a pool on how long this lasts?

Rob
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

That's a bit stupid.

Batista wasn't told. Umaga officially wasn't told either but it was a lock since they mentioned on a conference call months ago he was going to Smackdown. Jim Ross isn't the head of talent relations either. Hasn't been for like 5 years.

The guy is an announcer who works 5 or 6 days a month. Big fucking deal.

Loose Cannon
06-25-2008, 10:16 AM
yea, here's kind of how I see it. I understand why Ross would be upset. Yea, he wasn't told he was moving to another spot and it kind of caught him off guard. ok.

But you can play the Bret Hart card here and Ross is a hypacrite to call Bret a whiner. Wrestling is a fake sport. It's not like Jim's pay is going to change or anything. He's getting fake demoted in theory to announce a fake show. Just like everyone argues Bret let it go to his head that he had a "fake title" in a "fake sport" and how he was above everyone. It's the same fucking thing Jim. Like Rob said, they didn't tell anybody else, so why does Ross get a pass?

The only difference is Jim Ross is on TV another night. Same pay (or probably more cause he cried about it), same benefits, same vacation. So shut the fuck up and do your job

RVDmark
06-25-2008, 10:21 AM
ROFL, surprised no-one noticed this... (Read the bits in bold)

As many of you know, I was “drafted” to Smackdown Monday night in the “random lottery”. Obviously that means I will be leaving Monday Night Raw and my long time partner Jerry Lawler.

I am not happy about this surprise development.

I also contemplated calling it a career Monday night and not going to Houston to tape SD.

After speaking with my wife and thinking on this matter until 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, I have decided to do the right thing for the fans who care and the talent who care and begin my new assignment.

It has been explained to me that the WWE’s Smackdown tenure on My Network is a high priority within the corporation. Allegedly, my presence is needed in that effort.

Many are speculating about when I learned of this development…the same time those of you were watching at home. I should have detected something with the demeanor of certain individuals either thru their plastic, poker faces or the perceived smirk that I thought I might have seen on some of their faces during the day.

I will miss working with the King as the wrestling biz is one in which a guy can count his legit friends on one hand…even after a 30 plus year career. King has been like a brother to me….albeit an “older brother”. We will remain friends no matter that our team has been corporately imploded.

I believe that I have been strongly loyal to the WWE no matter the hands that were dealt to me over the years. In my tenure there I have earned a good living of which I am thankful. I will fulfill my commitments that I have made because unlike many in the business, my word is still my bond.

I can’t predict how long my Smackdown tenure will be, but I can promise that no matter how long or short it is that I will do my utmost best while sitting at ringside. I am not the kind of man who will “phone in” a damn thing.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me on RAW over the years. I hope I was able to provide you a memory or two. Hopefully, we can create new memories now on Smackdown.

Based on my professional experiences, I look at each broadcast as potentially my last, which helps keep me motivated. So with that said we begin another chapter in my crazy life in the unpredictable world of ‘rasslin.

I still plan on attending RAW in my home market of OKC next Monday and I hear that tickets are still available. Any one have any extras?

Boomer Sooner!
J.R.

:rofl::D:lol:

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
I actually think that Jerry Lawler will be fired before he gets his way this time. Vince eventually got rid of Joey Styles, and Vince has been looking to edge JR out for some time. The WWE has gone without him in the past before, too. Lawler can very easily be replaced by JBL, if he agrees to step out of the ring again, and JR could very easily be replaced by Josh Mathews or Todd Grisham (hopefully the former).

To be perfectly honest, if I were Vince McMahon, I'd be sick of caving into the demands of JR. He works for me, dammit! Fuck, worst case scenario, I'd get really smarmy, and put Joey Styles back into head commentary position somewhere. At least that guy goes where I tell him.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:42 AM
JR might get to work RAW next week, as a farewell, and maybe the WWE will let Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler work together for events such as inter-promotional matches, and the like, and maybe host PPV preview shows on WWE.com, or something, but I don't think we'll see JR and King back together full-time on RAW again.

Although, I could very end up wrong. Not going to take a $100 bet from Rob, that's for sure. So, to put my technical vote in, KK: 7 days. :shifty:

Theo Dious
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
To those who think this is a work...

...JR is NOT a good enough actor to feign being as stunned as he was.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
To those who think this is a work...

...JR is NOT a good enough actor to feign being as stunned as he was.

I think the same thing about Michael Cole. Pretty sure they weren't informed.

Jeritron
06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Well hopefully the combination of HHH, Edge and Jeff Hardy will be working title matches for the next year, which deserves to be the main event of PPVs. That way, JR will get his slot anyways.

If HHH is still on Smackdown come next years Mania, he's probably going to be the last on the card. I'd love to see Edge vs HHH teased all summer and fall and saved for Mania.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
anyone got a video of Ross being drafted? I didn't watch Raw on Monday (Had friends over, was playing Rock Band), so I don't know how surprised this was.

Loose Cannon
06-25-2008, 11:22 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zT9JbgT_JTs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zT9JbgT_JTs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Loose Cannon
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
nah, I just thought that was hillarious. I'll try to find it

Loose Cannon
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
here you go

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZJXJLzWOmY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZJXJLzWOmY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The shot of Michael Cole's face immediately after it leaves the screen revealing he was drafted to RAW says it all: he was freaked out by what was happening. The dude looked like he was about to cry. Also, he forgot to pick up his notes before initially standing after he got up.

Also, the comment to Mick: "Well, Mick, you got your wish." Was really sharp. Mick had been joking about working with JR instead of him heading into the draft. I can't turn it up too loud on my computer, but watching RAW, I'm sure I heard the word "job" in there from Cole. It sounded like he thought he might have been out of a job, I dunno. I might be hearing things.

darkpower
06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
The shot of Michael Cole's face immediately after it leaves the screen revealing he was drafted to RAW says it all: he was freaked out by what was happening. The dude looked like he was about to cry. Also, he forgot to pick up his notes before initially standing after he got up.

Also, the comment to Mick: "Well, Mick, you got your wish." Was really sharp. Mick had been joking about working with JR instead of him heading into the draft. I can't turn it up too loud on my computer, but watching RAW, I'm sure I heard the word "job" in there from Cole. It sounded like he thought he might have been out of a job, I dunno. I might be hearing things.

THANK YOU!! At least SOMEONE else knows what I was talking about (funny that KK and Noid have this feud going on, and Noid agrees with ME! Shows you who's the stupid one, huh, KK?).

Notice too that Adamle was shocked too, saying "no way" to the question of if Cole was out of a job. That question WAS looming because the announcers even brought it up.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
If Cole didn't immediately realise that he was going to Raw, he's an idiot. With Raw still due a draft pick seconds later, and their play-by-play guy just been taken away, and ECW not getting a draft pick, what was he realistically expecting? Lawler to SmackDown too, and no announce team on Raw? Adamle to Raw, leaving Tazz to announce ECW on his own?? Tazz to Raw, leaving Adamle on his own, and an all-colour Raw team??

There's no way Michael Cole didn't realise instantly that he was off to Raw, so save it.

Also, with those telling JR to stop bitching, I know where he's coming from. They didn't just change his job role slightly, they made a decision which changed his whole lifestyle and sprung it on him on live TV. JR has a business to run, and a ten-year old routine travelling with his best friend Jerry Lawler. It may only be one day but you don't know how much the move will interefere with his everyday life and affect the things he does on a weekly basis.

I'm not saying it's the same, but about a month ago the company I work for turned around to everyone and told them that our Mon-Fri (as they have been, unchanged, for the three years they have been in business) shifts would now incorporate Saturdays instead. You might think so what, but to me, that meant no more Friday nights out on the piss... and considering all my buddies tend to do their drinking and socialising on Fridays, that fucked up my routine and my social life. But that's nothing compared to some of my co-workers. Some of them had weekend jobs to supplement their wages which they then had to give up. Some have kids and must now arrange childcare on Saturdays out of their own pockets. One guy in particular was a semi-pro footballer who had just signed for a team and, as my company is his full-time job and main source of income (and the team plays Saturdays), he can no longer play football. It has cost him money and his sporting career.

I know it's not that similar, being too starkly different types of job, but still I'm just trying to convey how forcibly altering somebody's entire routine by just one day can fuck up a lot of shit, and they should have had the courtesy to give him at the very least some advance warning, if not allow him the opportunity to put together a case as to why he can't make the move to SmackDown.

Mooияakeя™
06-25-2008, 07:03 PM
If Cole didn't immediately realise that he was going to Raw, he's an idiot. With Raw still due a draft pick seconds later, and their play-by-play guy just been taken away, and ECW not getting a draft pick, what was he realistically expecting? Lawler to SmackDown too, and no announce team on Raw? Adamle to Raw, leaving Tazz to announce ECW on his own?? Tazz to Raw, leaving Adamle on his own, and an all-colour Raw team??

I'm pretty sure this paragraph sums up everything regarding Cole's stupid "OMG look".

Loose Cannon
06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
JR's works for a company. The company doesn't work for JR. I love JR and all and yes, he has a right to bitch for things changing on him in the blink of an eye. And so does everyone else in th world that isn't an owner. But that's just business kids.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 07:26 PM
(funny that KK and Noid have this feud going on, and Noid agrees with ME! Shows you who's the stupid one, huh, KK?).

You? :lol:

Seriously. I'm not sure which part of this actually makes sense to you, but the fact that you actually have to say "finally someone agrees with me" should be a big clue right here, DP.

It's not surprising that one irrational person could find another, but good for you. I hope you're happy, but "JR has been drafted to Smackdown, so I must be fired" is not a rational thought. Reasonably, with all the jobs that Cole could fill, nobody's first thought should be "uh oh." And that's without the apparently blatantly contrived draft picks.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, he has a right to bitch, so leave him to it.

I'm glad the King/JR team has been dissolved, they needed a change of scenary and to be taken out of their comfort zones, but WWE did it in a classless way.

Oh well, still a better fate than simply getting fired I guess.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
JR, for the record, is not a professional. He tends to sulk when things are not his way. For all the talk of Michaels "losing his smile," JR phones it in often enough. I don't know how the show was affected last night, but his look wasn't "I'm sad to be leaving Raw," as much as it was "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue!" The followup blog sounds like that, too. I'd call this a work, except that like others, I don't think JR's a good enough actor.

Similarly, I can't help but notice Cole's "I'm fired?" face carries on past the point that it's clear he's been drafted.

addy2hotty
06-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I love the thought that he didn't know. I bet Cole nearly spunked all over Mick Foley when he saw that pop up on the HD-tron with no little video-game 'select your character' bit.

Didn't see him complaining when Joey Styles was shat all over for his benefit.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Sulking doesn't make him unprofessional. As much as he may have bitched about and hated many things WWE have lumbered him with (quite vindictively) over the years, I've never heard of him flat out refusing to do anything. He has been constantly dealt a shitty hand by the creative team, more often than not in front of his home crowd too, yet gone along with it. He's been publicly fired several times (and now demoted) in a demeaning manner, kayfabe or not. Behind the scenes, he's had his pink slip for real twice. He has kissed Vince McMahon's bare ass. He has been beaten to a pulp, despite not being a wrestler. He has been continually replaced by men that the company feels would be better than him (only for each one of them to fail). He has been made to look foolish, spiteful, mean, gormless, cowardly, antiquated, disabled and ridiculous plus everything in between.

For a man widely respected by his colleagues and deemed by the company themselves as the greatest announcer of all-time, with 30 years in the business in virtually every role, it's truly pathetic that Vince plays these little games at JR's expense. I hope JR's restaurant chain is a huge success and he finally has the financial security to turn to Vince and tell him to shove his fucking job up his ass. Maybe even give TNA a shot in the arm by working for them.

I know I would never take that kind of humiliation from my employer, and I work in a much less visible and public environment. If I get humiliated at work, my friends and family don't have to watch it on live TV.

addy2hotty
06-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't agree with this demotion thing tbh. As soon as Trips was drafted, it wasn't a demotion. It's an attempt to make Smackdown a strong brand, if anything - in my mind - it's a huge responsibility/task for JR and the other 'big' names that have gone over to SD to make it compelling and a success for its new network. You could almost call it the last chance saloon for the brand split.

If JR would like the easy 'phone it in' life on Raw, then he should retire. Simple as.

Kane Knight
06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
The guy who whined about how he nearly quit isn't unprofessional. Well, it's a new spin on the concept of being a professional, I guess.

Rob
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Well he should have quit ages ago then. I wouldn't take the humiliation either.

However, if I was told I'd need to have to come to work on Tuesdays instead of Monday's, I'd just do it.

KingofOldSchool
06-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd rather work with Mick than Kingfish any day.

addy2hotty
06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
And another thing, he was fired by a meglomaniac employer twice, during a time where there was plenty of work around for wraslin' announcers, did he really think it was going to be any different when he came back?

He was the head of talent relations for quite a while, so he knew the way the employees are treated, especially in their home towns - and he ripped a few on his Ross Reporrrr many a time (what was it, Val Venis is in gimmick limbo) when he could do things to sort it out - he's been a company kiss arse most of his employed WWE career, so I don't buy this crap he's pulling. Just cry baby rubbish from someone who should know better.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM

However, if I was told I'd need to have to come to work on Tuesdays instead of Monday's, I'd just do it.

It's courtesy to let him know beforehand. He probably planned to go home right after Raw. Now he had to stick around for an extra 24 hrs plus make more travel/accommodation arrangements.

In the longer term, you don't know how this may affect his routine, with regards to his everyday life. It's easy to say "oh, I wouldn't care" but it's not JUST a one day a week job. Now when he works PPVs on Sundays, he will be on the road Saturday until Wednesday (hardly going to go home between Sunday's show and Tuesday's taping, is he?). For a guy who signed a contract to only work Mondays, now he will find himself of the road for an entire working week for every scheduled PPV week, which is something stupid like every 3 weeks nowadays.

He signed a contract on the proviso of "you are the voice of Monday Night Raw and we will continue to pay you to be". Now, his job role has changed, his working week has changed, and his travel routine (including his travel partner) has changed. All for the sake of a quick thrill, a pretty insignificant twist in the Draft and a McMahon laugh at his expense.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
But that's Vindictive Vince for ya.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 08:11 PM
he was fired by a meglomaniac employer twice, during a time where there was plenty of work around for wraslin' announcers

What? Both his firings came in 1994, when the only other big company going was WCW, who employed Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, Gene Okerlund, Dusty Rhodes, Larry Zbyszko, Mike Tenay and Gordon Solie during that year, and hadn't even launched Monday Nitro yet, so had a couple weekend shows and PPV/Clash specials to work with. Far too many to have any need for Jim Ross' services.

NeanderCarl
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
The guy who whined about how he nearly quit isn't unprofessional. Well, it's a new spin on the concept of being a professional, I guess.

"Nearly" being the operative word. He didn't, in actuality, quit. He did what was (or rather wasn't) asked of him. He's more of a professional than most of the big name wrestlers in the business.

6to1
06-25-2008, 09:23 PM

yea he should have quit when the idea of him joining the vinces kiss my ass club came up

Theo Dious
06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
JR, for the record, is not a professional. He tends to sulk when things are not his way.

For crying out loud, he brought in Fake Razor and Fake Diesel because he wasn't getting his way. :shifty:

For all the talk of Michaels "losing his smile," JR phones it in often enough.

JR hasn't smiled since Bell's Palsy. :shifty::shifty:

I don't know how the show was affected last night, but his look wasn't "I'm sad to be leaving Raw," as much as it was "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue!"

Seriously. His look was "I belong on Raw, I'm too good for this, I deserve this." Then he posts a blog that's a vague threat that he might still quit. The whole thing screams "while I so nobly chose not to quit, I haven't quite ruled out the possibility if my position on Raw isn't reconsidered."

The followup blog sounds like that, too. I'd call this a work, except that like others, I don't think JR's a good enough actor.

I've been reconsidering my stance on this. I mean, he was a good enough actor in '01 to pretend he didn't :love:love:love: kissing Vince's ass. :shifty::shifty::shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:31 PM

There's no way Michael Cole didn't realise instantly that he was off to Raw, so save it.

Also, with those telling JR to stop bitching, I know where he's coming from. They didn't just change his job role slightly, they made a decision which changed his whole lifestyle and sprung it on him on live TV. JR has a business to run, and a ten-year old routine travelling with his best friend Jerry Lawler. It may only be one day but you don't know how much the move will interefere with his everyday life and affect the things he does on a weekly basis.

I'm not saying it's the same, but about a month ago the company I work for turned around to everyone and told them that our Mon-Fri (as they have been, unchanged, for the three years they have been in business) shifts would now incorporate Saturdays instead. You might think so what, but to me, that meant no more Friday nights out on the piss... and considering all my buddies tend to do their drinking and socialising on Fridays, that fucked up my routine and my social life. But that's nothing compared to some of my co-workers. Some of them had weekend jobs to supplement their wages which they then had to give up. Some have kids and must now arrange childcare on Saturdays out of their own pockets. One guy in particular was a semi-pro footballer who had just signed for a team and, as my company is his full-time job and main source of income (and the team plays Saturdays), he can no longer play football. It has cost him money and his sporting career.

I know it's not that similar, being too starkly different types of job, but still I'm just trying to convey how forcibly altering somebody's entire routine by just one day can fuck up a lot of shit, and they should have had the courtesy to give him at the very least some advance warning, if not allow him the opportunity to put together a case as to why he can't make the move to SmackDown.

I disagree completely. Not about your story about the job, I'm sure it had some really negative effects on you and a lot of people you know, so I am sorry about that, but Michael Cole to RAW.

In a situation like that, emotion takes over. There have been times in front of crowds when, intellectually, I know I've got something coming my way, but at the time, I'm not thinking with my head, and it still knocks the wind out of me. You are waiting for that moment when it becomes official, so you're not grasping at theoretical straws. JR has talked about how announcers are expendable in the past, and Michael Cole recently got booted off WWE.com. No one would he seem himself as a bigger commentator than Jim Ross, and he probably has never heard anyone with power seriously mention a move to RAW for him.

To be honest, it only took a few seconds of serious thought past my first instinct to realise that the WWE were swapping Jim Ross and Michael Cole. To be honest, the only move I was sure about was JR. I said in the RAW thread that it's the only move that is logical. Natalya and Victoria needed to win, and Jim Ross would need to move to SmackDown!, because Mick Foley is still fairly new as a commentator, and is probably not ready for live shows, as One Night Stand 2005 kind of proved. Therefore, it had to be JR going to SmackDown!, looking at it logically.

Therefore, is anybody that was surprised by JR moving an idiot? Not at all, they just didn't think it through. I'm sure Michael Cole, who had to call a wrestling match (and although the commentary wandered in that match, he and King were assigned it, and he'd have had one eye on that, and one on being witty.

Also, as far as the scheduling changes go? Is your protest against the draft in general, because those guys are going to suffer, too, and they weren't told in advance. None of them appear to be bitching. The duties of a SmackDown! commentator leave time for the announcer to do other things, as Michael Cole was in charge of WWE.com, too, so I assume there would be time for JR's business. He'd need to go into work Tuesdays, instead of Mondays, and then it'd be post-production mid-week. He'd still have his weekends free, and they'd be a little extended with Monday off.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
It's not surprising that one irrational person could find another, but good for you. I hope you're happy, but "JR has been drafted to Smackdown, so I must be fired" is not a rational thought. Reasonably, with all the jobs that Cole could fill, nobody's first thought should be "uh oh." And that's without the apparently blatantly contrived draft picks.

"All the jobs Cole could fill?" Like what? Working as a backstage announcer? Working with Adamle to make him not so horrible? For all Cole knew, Todd Grisham was coming out to do commentary with King. You have to keep in the mind the guy recently got relieved from one of his jobs.

When you are out there calling a wrestling show in front of several thousand people, and someone takes your position, your reaction is "what now?" I don't think Cole is that good an actor to pull that kind of emotion off without reason. The man did seem to have an unnatural attachment to SmackDown!, too.

jindrak
06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
I've been calling it for a couple of years now, and I'll say it again-

Josh Matthews is the future of wrestling commentary.

Mr. Nerfect
06-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Very much so. I'd actually go as far as to say he's the most misused talent at the WWE's disposal. If JR plays up on SmackDown!, or decides he wants to leave shortly down the line, Josh Mathews and Mick Foley would make a damn good commentary team.

darkpower
06-26-2008, 02:17 AM
"All the jobs Cole could fill?" Like what? Working as a backstage announcer? Working with Adamle to make him not so horrible? For all Cole knew, Todd Grisham was coming out to do commentary with King. You have to keep in the mind the guy recently got relieved from one of his jobs.

When you are out there calling a wrestling show in front of several thousand people, and someone takes your position, your reaction is "what now?" I don't think Cole is that good an actor to pull that kind of emotion off without reason. The man did seem to have an unnatural attachment to SmackDown!, too.

Oh, and though this was something I had clearly meant before, I think KK is not bright enough to take in that when I said "finally, someone agrees with me", I was meaning someone finally GETS what I was trying to get at (not many seemed to here, even though it wasn't hard to get. Sometimes I wonder about a few people who post here).

Oh, and by the way, Noid is one of the brightest people on this board that seems to always come up with good ideas that many people agree with (including yours truly), so KK, you already failed right there. Of course, you can come up with good ideas, too, when you're not busy calling someone that clearly disagrees with your opinion a retard. :lol:

NeanderCarl
06-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Also, as far as the scheduling changes go? Is your protest against the draft in general, because those guys are going to suffer, too, and they weren't told in advance.

Not really, because they are full-time guys who spend the majority of their time on the road anyway. It may change certain things, but they made a choice to go into a career where they knew they'd spend little time at home. Several years ago, Jim Ross gave up his full time job to work a one-or-two day week schedule.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
There have been talks of moving Cole into the "main announcer" roll for years. Likewise, there's been no info on him having problems with the company, or the company have problems with him. Furthermore, even IF RAW would have drafted somone from ECW, then ECW would have an open announcing spot... OR, maybe Smackdown was going to have a 3 man team, that's been done before too.

For Cole to assume he's out of a job suddenly is idiotic. Even if he wasn't going to be announcing, there is no reason to assume he was suddenly going to be release from his contract and out of a job.

In the longer term, you don't know how this may affect his routine, with regards to his everyday life. It's easy to say "oh, I wouldn't care" but it's not JUST a one day a week job. Now when he works PPVs on Sundays, he will be on the road Saturday until Wednesday (hardly going to go home between Sunday's show and Tuesday's taping, is he?). For a guy who signed a contract to only work Mondays, now he will find himself of the road for an entire working week for every scheduled PPV week, which is something stupid like every 3 weeks nowadays.

He signed a contract on the proviso of "you are the voice of Monday Night Raw and we will continue to pay you to be". Now, his job role has changed, his working week has changed, and his travel routine (including his travel partner) has changed. All for the sake of a quick thrill, a pretty insignificant twist in the Draft and a McMahon laugh at his expense

Oh noes, poor Jim Ross. He essentially has a dream job for someone who loves wrestling. If he's going to bitch about his work day changing, or possibly having to be on the road an extra 4-5 days, then screw him. A lot of people would kill for his job.

And I highly doubt his contract has any provision, or wording, about him being the "Raw announcer." Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a generic corporate contract that everyone else who isn't an actual wrestler/ref/manager probably gets.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
When the question "Are you out of a job?" came up, I'm sure it was strictly in refernce to commentating. That being said, he was shocked, as were the others, before the question was asked. I imagine his shock was simply because JR got drafted.

And sure, there has been talk, though mild, of making him the top commentator, but if he wasn't told, then it was a damn surprise. He just got, as many perceive it, a promotion, on live tv, and didn't know how to absorb while going on with the show. You people who sit there and call him an idiot or a phony because he was taking in a career change on live television are fucking unbelieveable.

The Mackem
06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
LOL Kevin Kelly says it's probably because Vince doesn't like looking at him [J.R] because he is fat which is a sign of weakness and becaue he said he wouldn't want to work for Smackdown.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm only calling him an idiot of he thought he was out of a job.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Then you didn't understand my point. Yes, he may have still been employed by the company in another position, but he didn't know until his pciture came up what that position might be. Therefor, if he was wondering if he was out of a job, it was the job he currently HELD, being that of a commentator.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
So hundreds of thousands of wrestling fans can comprehend what's going on immediately, but he can't, and that's an excuse? If his initial response was anything other than "Holy shit, I'm going to Raw", then he needs to work on his deductive reasoning skills.

One can argue that it may not have been the definite course of events, but it was the most likely. He would have been much more justified if his face didn't show up5 seconds later.

Team Sheep
06-26-2008, 09:15 AM
He is under contract for WWE. They tell him what to do and as an employee you do as you're told quite frankly. If not then leave. No need to threaten it like your royalty, just do it if you're serious. I just hate how JR wants so much sympathy from this. It's clearly showingnow that he thought him and Lawler were untouchable at the Raw announce team. Now he's being put in his place.

To be honest, if you run a business why would you give a fuck about 'being nice and curteous'. I'm sure Vince doesn't give a fuck about how JR feels, and I wouldn't either. I doubt Vince would lose much sleep if JR did quit, that's why he wasn't afraid to make the decision to draft him on Monday. If you're told in your company to do something, just do it. If your company makes a decision that they think is good for business, you should just respect it and get on with it.

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
For Cole to assume he's out of a job suddenly is idiotic. Even if he wasn't going to be announcing, there is no reason to assume he was suddenly going to be release from his contract and out of a job.

I've bolded the key bit. If I were an announcer, I'd definitely be a little upset if a situation came up where I didn't know if I'd be able to do the job I wanted to do anymore.

Loose Cannon
06-26-2008, 09:21 AM
He is under contract for WWE. They tell him what to do and as an employee you do as you're told quite frankly. If not then leave. No need to threaten it like your royalty, just do it if you're serious. I just hate how JR wants so much sympathy from this. It's clearly showingnow that he thought him and Lawler were untouchable at the Raw announce team. Now he's being put in his place.

To be honest, if you run a business why would you give a fuck about 'being nice and curteous'. I'm sure Vince doesn't give a fuck about how JR feels, and I wouldn't either. I doubt Vince would lose much sleep if JR did quit, that's why he wasn't afraid to make the decision to draft him on Monday. If you're told in your company to do something, just do it. If your company makes a decision that they think is good for business, you should just respect it and get on with it.

:y: that's pretty much my exact feelings

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
So hundreds of thousands of wrestling fans can comprehend what's going on immediately, but he can't, and that's an excuse? If his initial response was anything other than "Holy shit, I'm going to Raw", then he needs to work on his deductive reasoning skills.

One can argue that it may not have been the definite course of events, but it was the most likely. He would have been much more justified if his face didn't show up5 seconds later.

Then JR has no reason to be shocked, either. Once Victoria and Natalya were announced as Mickie James and Melina's opponents, it was pretty obvious that The Bitch Best Friends Forever were going over. Natalya is fairly unestablished as a female competitor, and she has a match coming up on PPV where she is expected to become the first-ever Divas Champion. Her team was not going to lose.

As the draft was only for major moves, Jim Ross or Jerry Lawler would then be the likely picks to move over to SmackDown!. Meaning we'd either get a Jim Ross/Mick Foley RAW team, or a Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler SmackDown! team. Mick Foley is very new to his job on SmackDown!, and is not nearly experienced enough to work live television. Therefore, as SmackDown! was not going to have two color commentators, Jim Ross to SmackDown! was the logical RAW to SmackDown! move.

If JR can lay claim to being shocked and confused about the move, Michael Cole can as well. I also maintain that it is very, very different sitting at home and guessing what is coming, and being out there in front of thousands of people doing live commentary and being with it.

Michael Cole may not have thought he was getting forced out of the WWE, but there was no foregone conclusion that someone else wasn't going to get the RAW play-by-play slot. The WWE has been in talks with that Mike Goldberg guy in the past, and they brought in Mike Adamle for seemingly no reason at all. Vince has ADD when it comes to commentators. I would not put it past the man to bump off Michael Cole for some kind of stunt-commentator trial.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Melina was legitimately injured during all of this. The ending to the match was rushed, and if Michael Cole knew that Melina was legitimately injured (the referee could communicate with gorilla, and gorilla could communicate with Michael Cole), then the double disqualification ending might not have seemed like the intended deal. It's not like the match went perfectly to plan like, say, John Morrison & The Miz vs. The Hardy Boyz.

I think what it comes down to is this: Michael Cole did not have the same knowledge and perspective as wrestling fans. He was much more emotionally invested in the situation, and it is irresponsible for anyone to say the guy was an idiot for not being sure exactly what was going on by the powers of deduction. JR should have realised at the beginning of the match that he was going to SmackDown!, if that were the case.

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:39 AM

That's pretty much it. JR may be a legend, but right now, he is a crappy play-by-play commentator, in my opinion. If he wanted to stay on RAW, he and King should have put on commentary that was a little more compelling than they had.

I don't even think his move to SmackDown! is a demotion. He's there with Triple H and Maria (hey, she's the hottest Diva in the WWE at the moment) to help get some major attention for the show, and to turn it around. In some ways, the move could be interpreted as a major sign of respect to JR's following as an announcer (not so much his current abilities).

Besides, the WWE has more commentators than it knows what to do with. Not being used by the WWE at the moment: Joey Styles, Josh Mathews, Todd Grisham and Jack Korpela. Joey Styles is Joey fucking Styles, if need be. Mathews can do color commentary and play-by-play, and is the WWE's most underused resource, Jack Korpela does his research extraordinarily well, and Todd Grisham has improved a lot. JR isn't needed. I don't fault Vince at all for making this move. JR needs the WWE a lot more than the WWE needs him.

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:40 AM
When the question "Are you out of a job?" came up, I'm sure it was strictly in refernce to commentating. That being said, he was shocked, as were the others, before the question was asked. I imagine his shock was simply because JR got drafted.

And sure, there has been talk, though mild, of making him the top commentator, but if he wasn't told, then it was a damn surprise. He just got, as many perceive it, a promotion, on live tv, and didn't know how to absorb while going on with the show. You people who sit there and call him an idiot or a phony because he was taking in a career change on live television are fucking unbelieveable.

That's exactly it. :y:

Mr. Nerfect
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
LOL Kevin Kelly says it's probably because Vince doesn't like looking at him [J.R] because he is fat which is a sign of weakness and becaue he said he wouldn't want to work for Smackdown.

To be perfectly honest, it wouldn't surprise me if there is truth to this. The WWE has been trying to replace JR for years. That's pretty much why they hired Joey Styles back when. They thought JR's face was too monged for viewers.

Even with his son-in-law on SmackDown!, Vince probably still won't watch SmackDown!, and won't have to see JR again until PPV.

Lord-Of-Darkness
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread or not, because I only skimmed through it. But after reading JRs blog, one thing crossed my mind. He said he was ready to quit and just not show up for smackdown.

Now, concerning Austins walkout in 2002, JR has stated on Austins DVD, confidential, and I'm sure more things, that Austin 'taking his ball and going home' because of a creative decision he didn't like was completly unproffessional, and all around the wrong thing to do.

Apparently double standards apply

Destor
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
He didn't do it thought now did he?

Theo Dious
06-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread or not, because I only skimmed through it. But after reading JRs blog, one thing crossed my mind. He said he was ready to quit and just not show up for smackdown.

Now, concerning Austins walkout in 2002, JR has stated on Austins DVD, confidential, and I'm sure more things, that Austin 'taking his ball and going home' because of a creative decision he didn't like was completly unproffessional, and all around the wrong thing to do.

Apparently double standards apply

That just about says it right there.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Except that it's not a double standard because JR decided to tough it out.

BigDaddyCool
06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
BTW, anyone know why Lawler doesn't get fucked with the way Jim Ross does? I'll tell you why, Ross constantly bitches about the times he was fired and how he almost quit here and there. Lawler never talks about that kind of shit, not because he hasn't had a hard time hear and there, but because he will quit instead of just talking about it. For lack of a better term, Lawler mans up and does what he says, Ross just sits there all passive aggressive.

Lord-Of-Darkness
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Except that it's not a double standard because JR decided to tough it out.

It is in a sense, because he blasts Austin for doing it, yet considered it himself.

Destor
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
...but didnt.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 04:24 PM
It is in a sense, because he blasts Austin for doing it, yet considered it himself.

No, it's not. Because he didn't do it.

Destor
06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Which only makes him twice the man really.

BigDaddyCool
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
There is nothing wrong with considering quitting when your boss pulls a dick move like that. And the fact that JR didn't quit but instead acted like a big bitch baby and cried to anyone that would listen, like the IWC who is hungry for anti-Vince stories just shows that Ross is unprofessional. Also, he isn't a hypocrit for being pissed about Austin leaving as Ross hasn't quit. But they were both unprofessional about the way they handled it.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I see nothing unprofessional about venting. It's not a company blog, is it?

NeanderCarl
06-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Yep. JR is unprofessional for not walking out on his job.

:roll:

BigDaddyCool
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I see nothing unprofessional about venting. It's not a company blog, is it?

Venting on a public blog that anyone can read is unprofessional. There is nothing wrong with venting in private, but in the public eye, that is different.

BigDaddyCool
06-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Yep. JR is unprofessional for not walking out on his job.

:roll:

I wouldn't expect someone proud of being welsh to understand. JR is unprofessional for bitching, he even admits it. He gets picked on constantly because he is passive aggressive and won't do shit he says he wants to do.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Venting on a public blog that anyone can read is unprofessional. There is nothing wrong with venting in private, but in the public eye, that is different.

I disagree. Using his regular medium, he let out his negativity. I understand your point, but I don't think he was wrong in his actions, as it was his blog. Had he used a WWE forum to vent his frustration, it'd be different.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
And if it was Matt Hardy bitching about being drafted to ECW he'd be fired.

NeanderCarl
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't expect someone proud of being welsh to understand. JR is unprofessional for bitching, he even admits it. He gets picked on constantly because he is passive aggressive and won't do shit he says he wants to do.

First, don't patronise me and that first sentence doesn't even make any sense. If my point of view differs from you on one subject, I couldn't possibly relate to your train of thought on another??

Secondly, if sitting down and taking any and all vindictive shit a company throws at you and never speaking up for yourself in any kind of public forum is your view of "being a professional", please come work for me.

And note how nobody has been on Carlito's case for unprofessionalism and his public comments were much worse than JR's, whereas Ross simply stated his dislike for the fact that he was moved from one show to another, publicly and without any warning, to the point that he nearly quit over it. But no, as Carlito is a 'net darling, he gets a 'get out of jail free' card.

NeanderCarl
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right, but Vince has continually publically expressed his opinion/disklike/distain for Jim Ross on a television show watched by millions, via words and actions...but when JR publically retaliates, HE's the unprofessional one?

If you poke a dog with a stick for ten years, you can hardly moan when it barks, when by rights it should be biting a big chunk out of your ass.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I've never had a reason to like Carlito, but I respect his ablity to say what he thinks needs to be said. I respect anybody that does that.

NeanderCarl
06-26-2008, 07:31 PM
On the same token, I respect JR for making his feelings publically clear. He has every right to feel slighted... if this was his first public humiliation, I'd say get over it to an extent, but this is the latest in a never ending stream of Vince figuratively bitch-slapping Ross on TV. The man deserves so much better.

Afterlife
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
No, I'm agreeing with you. I"ve never cared either way about JR, either, but calling him "unprofessional" for venting his negativity seems a little harsh.

Theo Dious
06-27-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm not angry at him for being upset, even publicly upset. That's not even so much the unprofessional part. I think he's unprofessional for the tone of "well other people might get treated this way, but Jim Ross is above that." He's unprofessional because what he said devalues Smackdown, in a non-Kayfabe way. It's unprofessional because of how he continues to spell out what he will and will not do (RE: SD post-production.)

Also I won't hide that I fucking hate Jim Ross and what angers me most of all about this is that he didn't quit.

darkpower
06-27-2008, 04:36 AM
Also, I want to add that another one of my problems is this "I didn't get told" thing where everyone keeps saying that JR should've been told. I said it before:

1. Would that have made JR any less angry about it?
2. NO one outside of HHH and Umaga (I stood corrcted on that one) were told that they were being moved. Rey Mysterio wasn't told (though he was given a hint), Kennedy didn't, Michael Cole didn't have a CLUE (as I've pointed out before), Matt Hardy NOR Jeff Hardy wasn't told, Kane wasnt't and now I'm understanding Batista wasn't told, either. Should any of THOSE people have been told they were moving becase they should've gave them more respect? With all due respect to JR, there was a way the WWE wanted to do that show, and they did it that way. To suddenly change their rule for that night for one person regardless of his or her history with the business would be very disasterous.

That ends up making that whole thing nothing more than an excuse to me.

NeanderCarl
06-27-2008, 06:23 AM
No, JR is making a point that no doubt every wrestler in the company agrees with but don't have the balls to come out and say. They should all have been told in advance.

The undercarders get it even worse. Hell, imagine having to log into a fucking website to find out the future of your career?

Afterlife
06-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I"m sure youget a phone call if you're in the supplemental draft. They kind of need to tell you where to be and when.

GD
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
J.R is very bias when it comes to commentry.

U-Warrior
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
This is getting blown way out of proportion, tbh.

GD
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
This thread is seriously getting annoying. Every time I visit the wrestling forums it's right up there.

Afterlife
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Posting about your dislike of it being on top is a little useless, isn't it?

BigDaddyCool
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
This thread is seriously getting annoying. Every time I visit the wrestling forums it's right up there.

Posting about your dislike of it being on top is a little useless, isn't it?

Afterbirth has a point.

Afterlife
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Cute. :p

darkpower
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
No, JR is making a point that no doubt every wrestler in the company agrees with but don't have the balls to come out and say. They should all have been told in advance.

The undercarders get it even worse. Hell, imagine having to log into a fucking website to find out the future of your career?

To your second point, there were some wrestlers in the supplemental draft that were told they were going to be moved ahead of time.

To your first point though, what they wanted to do was to get as real of reactions from the talent as they could (at least that's what I was reading). If you know where you're going and all of that, then you're obviously not going to have as "real" of a reaction as you would if you were told then and there (from how horrible some acting is in the WWE, I think that was a good move there).

NeanderCarl
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I"m sure youget a phone call if you're in the supplemental draft. They kind of need to tell you where to be and when.

You would think so. It is a fact that in years past, at least, many wrestlers were told by management to log in to WWE.com to find out if they were being drafted.

The MAC
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
JR should have quit or no showed an event to make his point. J.R loved being on RAW and it was very emotional for him to be told to to fuck off to smackdown. He posted his feelings then later apologized. The man is only human and it should be taken into consideration that.

Destor
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Just for the record I want to point out the fact that there is a STRONG possibility that this is a work.

Mr. Nerfect
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
BTW, anyone know why Lawler doesn't get fucked with the way Jim Ross does? I'll tell you why, Ross constantly bitches about the times he was fired and how he almost quit here and there. Lawler never talks about that kind of shit, not because he hasn't had a hard time hear and there, but because he will quit instead of just talking about it. For lack of a better term, Lawler mans up and does what he says, Ross just sits there all passive aggressive.

I pretty much agree. Jerry Lawler strikes me as a guy with the money to quit. He can get away with staying on RAW. And JR is like that guy that says "Don't pick me, don't pick me," over and over again, so of course he gets picked.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, J.R.'s spent all his money on blow. I mean, look what it did to his face.

Mr. Nerfect
06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
This is getting blown way out of proportion, tbh.

Very true.

I must say, though, I agree with Afterlife and darkpower on the case of Michael Cole being shocked by the move to RAW; and BDC on the topic of whether Jim Ross is unprofessional.

Did Rey Mysterio speak out publicly about being upset about being moved from his comfort zone? Did Brian Kendrick rant because he was upset because he and Paul London were split-up? Did Matt Hardy whine about going to ECW, and not getting to team with Jeff and have a nice little feud with him over the US Title? No, none of them did, because you don't speak out against the company employing you like that.

Afterlife, I love you, but JR blogging his feelings on the internet for all to read, about how his company fucked him over, while under contract, cannot be classified as "professional." Making the brand you are now meant to be hyping up sound like a chore is not "professional." Also, I do think JR is a bit of a hypocrite for being upset when Austin didn't play ball and be a company man, when for a good twelve hours or so, JR was going to quit because he didn't want to do his part for another brand. There are a lot of similarities.

The difference being, JR stuck around. Good on him, I guess, but the situations were very similar, and the result was very close to being the same. JR doesn't come out squeaky clean because his wife reminded him they need the money to keep their restaurant business growing.

Mr. Nerfect
06-27-2008, 07:03 PM
The similarities between JR/Carlito are less than the similarities between JR/Stone Cold:

Carlito spoke out against the company, yes, but he didn't threaten to walk out. It was not wise on his behalf, but it doesn't make the points he was making wrong. Carlito admitting his race had been an issue is an honest qualm to bring up. JR upset because he was asked to move over there, instead of where he was, is just whiny by comparison.

The MAC
06-27-2008, 07:24 PM
jr kissed vinces ass on tv. He should be allowed to kiss it again if he wants to stay on raw.

NeanderCarl
06-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Did Matt Hardy whine about going to ECW, and not getting to team with Jeff and have a nice little feud with him over the US Title? No, none of them did, because you don't speak out against the company employing you like that.

Methinks Matt Hardy learned his lesson three years ago.

But of course, he's a "professional", right?

Heyman
06-28-2008, 04:38 PM

One thing that I love about Josh Matthews, is that he seems genuinely passionate about the business (Joey Styles also fits in this category IMO).

I really hope you are right about Matthews. I know I poke fun at JR a lot but whoever DOES eventually replace JR, will have very large shoes to fill.

I really wish JR and Paul Heyman were a tandem. Those guys were seriously the greatest tandem of all-time. Michael Cole and JBL were also quite good. I thought JBL was an excellent color commentator. Tazz is also really good.

I don't think Lawler is horrible, but I'm not a huge fan of his. I'm also not liking Mick Foley at current.

Rob
06-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I like Foley. He can only get better too.

Matthews should have been used ages ago. It's baffles me why they don't use him.

Team Sheep
06-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Mick Foley brings a real sense of realism to the show. I don't know if he's meant to call it like that, but I enjoy listening to it. Like, he doesn't instantly hate on the heels and love the faces. He's not afraid to criticize the good guys and says things as he sees it, makes the audience feel more intelligent IMO, when you compare it to the kind of stuff Lawler says.

Afterlife
06-28-2008, 06:09 PM
WEll, Foley is God.

GD
06-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Foley has true dedication towards the wrestling industry and he is one of the very people in the industry who actually care to listen or even greet the fans.

NeanderCarl
06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I had a real bad feeling about Foley after One Night Stand 05, but he's been a revelation. Very, very competant announcer.

darkpower
06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
WEll, Foley is Good.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

NeanderCarl
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
You should have.

darkpower
06-29-2008, 06:43 PM
You should have.

But you know someone was going to do it at some point.