PDA

View Full Version : THE HART/MICHAELS FEUD (in their own words) MUST READ!

The MAC
07-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Found this a week ago. Some kid on the "under the mat" wrestling forum put up a comparison of passages from the books of Hart and Michaels. The passages detail the events from wrestlemania 12 to the screwjob from the perspectives of both men. Even if you think you knew everything that happened read on :

Straight out of "Heartbreak & Triumph" The Shawn Michael's story, and "Hitman" the Bret Hart story, I present to you, controversy..................

After Ironman match at Wrestlemania 12

Bret-"In order to feed the supposed heat between us, I wouldn't be shaking his hand [Shawn Michaels] after he won. Instead I'd simply walk out, leaving the crowd to assume that I was really pissed off at the ref's decision. Shawn nodded and said, "No problem"."

HBK-"[People were congratulating me] About the only person I didn't see was Bret Hart. Usually, you shake hands with your opponent after the match and thank each other. I never saw Bret after the match, and he never said a word to me. Bret took off immediatly, and I wouldn't see him for another seven or eight months."

The "Curtain Call" incident

Bret-"Carlo [a friend] called me to tell me about the clique's last WWF show together at Madison Square Garden on May 19. After Shawn beat Diesel in a cage match, the two sworn enemies embraced in the ring, much to the confusion of the crowd. They were soon joined by Razor and Hunter, and then all four stood on the turnbuckles giving the fans the clique hand sign in what they thought was a glorious send off. Vince had already left the garden, when he found out what they had pulled, he was livid. Backstage the agents and the boys were up in arms, and rightfully so: They thought Vince should have nipped such behaviour in the bud. Vince reprimended all four of them, levying $2,500 fines, and he ordered Shawn and Hunter to apologize to thier fellow wrestlers. The other three had no excuse, but Shawn should have known this wasn't something the champion should do."

HBK-"Kevin [Nash] and I were standing at the curtain ready to go out for our match when Hunter came running up to us. "Are we going to do the thing?" he asked.
"What thing? What are you talking about?"
"The thing we talked about in Europe where we go out and say good-bye to the fans." Hunter never drank. He remembered everything.
"We don't know. We have a cage match. Go ask Vince if we can do it. If he says yes, come on out, we'll be there and we can do it."
"All right."
We had our match. I hit Kevin with the kick to win, and started celebrating. Kevin was still lying on his back when the next thing I know, here comes Scott [Hall] and Hunter to the ring. I thought, "I guess we're doing it." So I walked over to Kevin and gave him a big kiss. He rose up and I said, "They are coming down." Scott and Hunter came to the ring, and we all hugged and bowed to the fans. In wrestling terms, we broke kayfabe. We weren't playing heel and babyface. Our actions, our admission that we were friends, told the fans, the vast majority who already knew, that what we did for a profession was a work. The fans, for thier part, loved it. About a third of the sellout crowd was still there, and they were cheering thier tails off. When we came to the back, Vince asked me, "Was that important to you?"
"Yes, it was. I appreciate that. Thanks."
We hugged and he said, "Then it's important to me."
That's how we left it that night."

I LOST MY SMILE

HBK-"[HBK had tweaked his knee in an earlier match and went to check it out] I went to see my doctor. He took an MRI, looked at the results, and then said to me, "You will never wrestle again."
"What?"
"You have no ACL in there."
"I know. I've been wrestling for years with no ACL."
"You are not going to wrestle on it anymore. Your knee has deteriorated. You need a knee replacement."
I was devastated. He was a doctor, and I thought his word was final. I thought my career was over. At the next TV (Tapings), which was a special Thursday edition of Raw, I told Vince what my doctor had said. I broke down and started crying.

--

Vince felt for me. He knew how much wrestling meant to me. He told me no matter what happens, I'd always have a job here. Then he said, "We have to get the championship belt off you. We will make an announcement tonight." That night I went to the ring and told the world I was retiring. I told them I had lost my smile, that I just didn't have it in me to wrestle anymore. Vince and Gorilla Monsoon were in the ring with me. It was very emotional. It wasn't a work."

Bret-"On February 13, in Lowell, Massachusetts, the big news was that Shawn was forfeiting the world belt because he'd suddenly somehow sustained a career-ending knee injury and needed surgery. Taker looked at me like this was all bullshit and said, "I'll believe it when I see the scar. The little F*cker doesn't want to drop the belt." Taker, Sid [Vicious] and I headed down the hallway to Vince's office. Shawn and Hunter, Pat [Patterson], and [Jerry] Brisco were already there when we arrived. Vince seemed really upset that Shawn was hurt and was near to tears as he explained how I'd win the belt in the Final Four [PPV] for my fourth title reign.

--

Shawn did an in-ring interview that night that I watched on a TV monitor backstage along with the other wrestlers. He walked out without so much as a limp and with the heart-breaking trickle of the occasional tear, he talked of having lived his dream. Fans jeered him, so the cameras cut to close-ups of girls crying. He said he had to simply listen to his doctors. He'd not only hurt his knee, he had "Lost his smile" over the last few months and was going home to find it. Every wrestler standing with me rolled his eyes as Shawn forfeited the title, handing the belt to Vince, who was caked in make-up and looked peculiarly Dracula-like as he, too, appeared to be fighting back tears. I'd worked a tag team match with Shawn at the Meadowlands only three days before, and there was nothing wrong with his knee. He hadn't wrestled since. I found myself agreeing with Taker-I'll believe this bullshit when I see the scar."

May 12 1997-Raw

HBK-"Bret was such a hypocrite. He said it was over. We shook hands and I though we had finally put it all behind us. (According to Shawn Michael's book, Bret Hart at any chance he got buried HBK. Michael's was mad and on this day, he said he talked to Bret who apologized and said it was over with) Bret and I were scheduled to do an interview segment. It was supposed to be a wrestling promo. He talks bad about me and then I talk bad about him. That's how it works. Well, he went on his tirade and just didn't stop. It was a while before I got my rebuttal in. As I made my way backstage, someone had told me that he had gone so long they had to go off the air before I spoke. So the whole time, viewers saw me standing there looking like an idiot. I was furious. He [Bret] had done it to me for the last time."

Bret-"At the end of the show, with the idea that I'd soon be working with Shawn at King of the Ring, I called Shawn out to the ring. The last 30 seconds were supposed to be mine, and then Shawn would give me his Superkick, toppling me backward, out of my wheelchair, as the show went off the air. But the fan noise was so loud I couldn't hear my cue. Instead of the show ending with Shawn nailing me, we went off the air with me dressing him down. I felt bad about it, but Shawn thought I did it on purpose and was furious. I told him that they had the footage of him Superkicking me out of my wheelchair, which they could replay all week on Vince's other shows. And they did- Over and over."

May 19 1997-Raw, one week later

HBK-"The next week, I cut a televised promo on him and made the comment that he had been seeing "Sunny Days", exposing what I believed was his secret relationship with Tammy Sytch (Sunny). Many in the locker room found it to be very amusing, but Bret didn't speak to me for a couple of weeks."

[B]Bret-"During an in-ring interview in the first half of the night, Shawn was groggy and slurring his words. As I climbed into the ring with the Hart Foundation to open the second half, Shawn appeared on the big screen, wasted, and suggested on live TV that I couldn't get it up for ten minutes and that I'd been having some "Sunny days", a blatant suggestion that I'd been sleeping with Sunny. I couldn't hear him well because it was so noisy in the ring, so the remark sailed right over my head. When the interview was over, most of the boys were seething at how unprofessional it was. Any hopes we had of working together went out the window. Shawn was so out of it that night, Hunter and Chyna had to help him out of the building that night."

June 9-Raw, The Fight

HBK-"I was in the dressing room when he [Bret] came up to me and said, "I just want to say....." I cut him off before he could finish. "Don't talk to me. You haven't said a word to me for three weeks. If you can't talk to me for three weeks, I don't want to talk to you now." I don't think Bret was used to people talking like that to him. About five minutes later, I was turning around to get some gear out of my bag and I felt somebody push me from behind. I turned around and Bret asked, "What's your F*cking problem?"
"You!" I yelled.
He tried to punch me but I peeled back and he missed. He pushed me again, and this time I stood up. He swung again and missed. The next thing I knew, he went for a Double Leg Dive. I caught him around the upper body and we went straight back through a piece of paneling. We had each other in front face locks when Pat Patterson and Davey Boy came over and grabbed us. Pat was yelling, "Come on, you guys!" I let go and Bret yanked a handful of my hair off my head. That hurt like heck, but I didn't retaliate. The fight was over.
I went storming into Vince's office and told him, "I'm out of here, this is B.S.!" I saw Aldo Montoya- who later wrestled here as Justin Credible- and asked him if he'd give me a ride back to the hotel. He wasn't working that night so he took me. I missed the show and flew home the next day.
Vince sent my lawyer, Skip McCormick, a letter stating that I had violated my contract. Skip responded by writing a letter claiming that WWE had failed to provide a safe working environment. Skip told me that they were trying to blame everything on me, but once he wrote the letter, it would be back in thier lap and they would ask me to come back. That's exactly what happend. In a few weeks we had settled everything and I was back. As far as I know, nothing happend to Bret as a result of the fight."

Bret-"At about 6 p.m, I went into the bathroom to gel my hair before going across the hall to tape interviews. I was surprized to see Shawn's reflection go by me in the mirror. I could see he was uptight, so I smiled and casually said, "Hey Shawn...."
He cut me off. "F*ck you! You haven't talked to me in over a F*cking month, what makes you think I'm going to talk to you now?"
Shawn vanished through the doorway, past Crush, who was lacing his boots up and heard the whole thing. I set out to find Shawn but he was gone. I paced around the backstage area until Owen [Hart], Davey [Boy Smith, The British Bulldog], Jim [Niedhart] and [Brian] Pillman came to find me. "I know Shawn's watching from somewhere, waiting for me to leave this room," I said. "Ill bet you the second I walk out of here, he'll walk in. All his stuff is in here. Watch." I crossed the hall, walked into the interview room and cracked open the door to peek back out into the hall. Shawn strode past me into the dressing room. He was bent over fixing his boots when I marched straight up to him. I pushed him to his feet. "You got something to say to me?"
He flicked a weak punch at me and missed. Balancing awkwardely on my good leg, I popped him on the chin, rocking him on his heels. He came for me, so I grabbed him by his long mane and pretended I was doing a hammer throw at the olympics. I was dragging him around the room when a hysterical Pat [Patterson] and a frantic [Jerry] Lawler ran in and jumped on top of me. Unable to pry me off, Pat shouted for the other wrestlers to help, but Davey and Crush had no intention of saving Shawn. It was nothing but a scritch-fight really, but when we were finally seperated, clump's of Shawn's precious hair fell from my hands. I blasted him: "Don't F*ck with me or my family, you little F*cker."
Shawn looked ready to burst into tears as he stomped across the hall to Vince's office. Shouting loud enough for everyone to hear, Shawn quit, saying it was an unsafe working enviornment. Then he stormed off, slamming doors behind him."

The MAC
07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
B]The Montreal Screwjob [/B]

Week leading up to Survivor Series 1997

Bret-"On Sunday morning, I called Vince at home. He was friendly and more then a little quick as fas as I was concerned to advise me that I'd done the right thing. (Regarding Bret signing with WCW) He still wanted Shawn to beat me at Survivor Series the following weekend. I cut him off. "I'm sorry Vince. I've always done everything you've asked, but I can't do that. I'll put over anybody you want, but I will not, under any circumstances, put over Shawn Michael's."
"Where do you get this stuff?"
"Come on, Vince. I made myself clear to both you and Shawn in Tulsa. I'll drop it to Austin or Taker. Hell, I'll even drop it to Lombardi at the Garden. Vince, you told me I could leave any way I wanted! Remember?"
"I'll have to sue you."
"In my contract, I have creative control for my last thirty days."
"We could tie our assholes up in court for years over this."
I told him again that I wouldn't do it. "Everything has been geared toward the Canadian hero winning this match. It'll kill me off to lose to Shawn in Montreal after everything he's done. He's picked his nose on TV with the Canadian flag, and just last week he said that Stu [Hart, his father] is dead on international TV. I'd lose all my self-respect. If he puts me over, I'll be happy to put him over. We've got over a month until I go to WCW, Vince, surely we can come up with something." For the rest of the week we went back and forth. He'd tell me I could win, then he'd tell me I couldn't. I stood my ground and refused to lose- for the first and only time in my career."

HBK-"[On the phone on Wednesday November 5th] "Shawn, barring some miraculous change this weekend, we are going to work a DQ. The next night, Bret has promised me that he will come out and give up the title. He will go off to WCW, and we can work some sort of tournament or something like that. I'm not comfortable with that, but Bret has given me his word. I feel I can take him at his word. Regardless of the relationship that you and he have, I've always asked him to do business, but he's just not willing to do it for you. I can't change the match with someone else."
I asked Vince why he didn't just have Bret drop the title to someone else the following night on Raw. I recall Vince then saying Bret had creative control over his last thirty days.
"So it's not really just me, is it? He doesn't want to drop the belt before he leaves?"
"No he doesn't. It would be one thing if it were in the States, but especially in Canada. He just doesn't want to do it."
"All of Canada is his? We're not in Calgary. What if I didn't want to do any jobs in the United States?"
"I know, I know, but that's the situation. He has creative control."
There were a few seconds of silence.
"I know I'm not supposed to be talking here," it was Hunter. "Maybe I'm out of line here, but what kind of business is that? Who in the world says, 'I don't want to drop the belt'? You helped him to get a better deal there (WCW) and he is leaving. That isn't right. That's b.s. How in the world can you trust him? We have people leaving in the middle of the night and taking thier belts and dropping them in trash cans in WCW. (This was in reference to former women's champion Alundra Blayze, who had done that.) We can't afford for that to happen with the World Wrestling Federation Championship!"
"There's nothing we can do about that. My hands are tied. What can we do about that?"
It was my turn to chime in. "I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. you and this company have put up so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."
"What are you talking about Shawn?"
"Whatever it takes. If we have to do a fast count or get him in a hold and tell someone to ring the bell, I'll do whatever you want me to do."
"That's pretty serious. That has to be a last resort. I still have till Saturday to talk to Bret. That may have to be a real option. This cannot be discussed with anyone. Pat [Patterson] can't know, nobody can know about this but the three of us right now. It's something we will have to talk about.""

November 8 1997, The night before Survivor Series

Bret-"I was in the dressing room in Cobo Hall in Detroit. Vince and I were still stalemated. I was worn out with conflicting emotions, grief vying with an adrenalin rush of clarity. I was convinced Vince would ruin me just for the sick pleasure of it. I kept reminding myself that if I'd stayed in the WWF, Shawn and Hunter would have done all they could to drive me out anyway. Jack Lanza pulled me aside to tell me that I was doing the right thing for the business: "I wouldn't drop the belt to that little mother-F*cker either!" I never knew whether Jack meant what he said or was trying to provoke a reaction out of me that would somehow play into his boss's hands. I called Earl Hebner into a dingy dressing room bathroom. I looked him right in the eyes and said, "Tomorrow, Earl, they're going to ask you to F*ck me." His mouth twisted and his eyes filled with tears as he promised, "I swear on my kid's heads, I won't do it. I'll quit first! If they ask me to do that, I'll tell them to go F*ck themselves, Bret, I swear!" I calmed him down saying that all he had to do was tell me what the plan was, and I'd take care of it. I told him that I was going to insist that he be the ref because I trusted him to watch my back. The longer we talked the stronger his resolve became. I'll never forget the tears in his eyes as he shook my hand."

HBK-"[Meeting with Vince in hotel] "He's not willing to bend," Vince said. "Are you willing to do what we discussed?"
"Yeah, I'm willing to do what it takes."
"This is serious." I knew it was. I could hear it in Vince's voice. I had heard urban legends of swerves in the past, but nothing of this magnitude. "I don't know what's going to happen, but he is going to flip. Jerry [Brisco] can show you some holds."
"I'm not worried about that. We can run Hunter down to the ring if anything happens." We couldn't discuss how it was going to happen because we didn't know how Bret and I were going to set up the match. Once Bret and I figured out what we were going to do, then, and only then, could Vince and I decide how it would go down. "I don't want you telling anyone about this," Vince continued. "And when it happens, you deny you knew anything about it until the end. This is my decision, but I can't physically do it. I don't want the heat going on you. Some is going to go on you inevitably because of your history with Bret and because you are the guy doing it, but this is my decision. I don't want you telling anyone. If anyone asks you, you didn't know anything about it.
But when it's over with, it's over with. Bret's going to be hot. You have to put the heat on me. He needs to be mad at me. He is going to be mad at me, and he is going to want to hit me. I'm going to let him. I owe Bret that much." Vince also said that Earl Hebner was going to be the referee, and he didn't know anything yet. "I'll talk to him," I said. I'll clue him in.""

The MAC
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
November 9 1997, Survivor Series

Bret-"[Bret and Shawn were working out thier match together earlier on in the day] Pat told me that he thought it would be a helluva spot to let Shawn put me in the sharpshooter and then reverse it on him. It would be a great spot that would set the stage for a fantastic second half.
"Who's the ref?" I asked.
"Earl," Pat said.
I smiled to myself. "Okay.""

HBK-"Bret and I started to go over the match. Pat [Patterson] was coming in and out of the room every now and then, to check up on us and throw in some ideas. We were talking things through, and Bret came up with this spot where I get him in the Sharpshooter and then he revereses it by pulling on my leg.
Ding! The bell went off in my head. I can't remember the rest of our conversation and how we laid out the match because I knew it was never going to happen.

--

[Later on in Vince's office] "You are not going to believe this, but he came up with a spot where I get the Sharpshooter on him and then he's supposed to reverse it by pulling my leg. When I put him in it, when I turn him over, we can ring the bell right there."
"That's it. That's the one. Have you told Earl yet?"
"No, I wanted to tell you first. I wanted to make sure it was ok."

--

[Later on in the locker room] "Earl, I need you to listen to me very carefully." I was speaking very softly. "We are doing a big swerve tonight. I am going to get Bret in the Sharpshooter, and I need you to ring the bell." He was a bit confused and in a normal tone of voice said, "Wait a minute."
"Earl, be very quiet. I need you to listen. This is very serious. Earl, we are screwing Bret tonight. We are going to be having the match, and you have to ring the bell. We are taking the title off him tonight. He doesn't know. Can you do it?"
"What are we doing?"
"I am going to get him in the Sharpshooter, and I need you to ring that bell. I need you to ring that bell and just get out of there."
"Are you serious?"
"Yes."
"Okay. I'll do whatever I have to do. Does Vince know about this?"
"Yes of course. You can confirm that with Vince. I'll let you know if anything changes, but for now, that's what we are doing, no matter what you hear.""

Gorilla position before the match

HBK-"I walked up to the Gorilla position. Hunter was there, so was [Jerry] Brisco. Vince started drifting to us and Pat was there as well. Then Davey Boy, Jim Niedhart, and Owen Hart came up next to us. The finish, as far as everyone else new, was that Hunter was going to come down and interfere, and then those guys would come down, and there would be a big fight and a DQ. But when guys are going to do a run-in, they don't stand in Gorilla before the match starts. It was very unusual for them to be there, and since I knew what was happening, I was thinking they were there in case something happens. After all, they didn't need to be there for another twenty minutes."

Bret-"I grabbed my own flag, handed it to Blade (His son) and said, "Let's go boy!" He marched all the way to the curtain with me, Jim, Davey, and Owen, with Paul Jay's crew following right behind us. (In process of making the Bret Hard documentary that came out in 1998 entitled "Wrestling with Shadows") Hunter was not where he was supposed to be for the run-in. An annoyed Rick Rude was suspicious. He pursed his lips and told me, "I'll watch your back in case they try and jump you or pull anything funny on you out there.""

Coming out to the ring

Bret-"I had no idea that he [Shawn] had just pretended to wipe his ass with the Canadian flag and the laid it out in the middle of the ring and pretended to F*ck it hard. Back home in Calgary, Stu [Hart] was watching in disgust. He took very real offence to Shawn's actions, as did everyone in the building and all across Canada. If I'd done that in the United States, I might have been lynched."

HBK-"As we were going over the match, Bret asked, "Do you want to do something with the flag again? When you stuck the flag up your nose in that one match, you got a ton of heat up in Canada. I'm telling you they were just livid. You want to do it?"
"Sure, I'll do whatever you want."
After the deal went down, everyone made a big deal about me jerking around the Canadian flag, but like the Sharpshooter, it was his idea. This was beyond the Twilight Zone."

The MAC
07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
The Screwjob

HBK-"[Vince McMahon and Sgt. Slaughter started walking down to ringside] Bret didn't say anything. I whispered, "Why is Vince coming down?" We continued on with the match and a few minutes later reached the point where Bret was going to start his comeback. I would stop him and then clamp on the Sharpshooter. It was a good little transitional spot. I remember looking at Earl and saying, "Here we go." Wrestlers say that all the time in the ring, so if Bret heard it he wouldn't have thought anything of it. I called for the move, snatched him up, and put him in the Sharpshooter. I locked eyes with Earl as I spun Bret over and put the hold on. I yelled, "Ring it, ring it now!" As soon as Bret started pulling my leg, the bell rang. I let him pull my leg and did the best I could to carry through with our plans and have him start to reverse the move. I did not know Vince had called for the bell as well. I believe he came down to try and make it as clear as possible that it was his decision to do that and not mine. It was an attempt to deflect heat from me and put it on him, but I did tell Earl to ring the bell. After it rang, I acted like I was mad, and didn't know what was going on. I heard Vince yell, "Give him the belt!" I rolled out of the ring and grabbed the championship belt. Jerry and Hunter had run down to the ring and Jerry started walking back to the curtain. Hunter was right behind. The crowd was in a complete uproar. Then, right before I ducked behind the curtain, I raised the belt high up in the air as a heel would do to incite the crowd. Part of me was thinking, "Just get out of there!" My business sidethought, "Something is going on here, but I've got to act like whatever happend was supposed to happen."

Bret-"Halfway through what was to be a thirty-minute match, I made my way to the top corner. When I leaped off, Shawn pulled Earl in front of me, and the collision left both me and Earl sprawled out on the mat. Shawn then stepped over me to put on the Sharpshooter, but he crossed my legs wrong, so I called up to him, "The other way," and he switched them. As Shawn turned me onto my stomach, I saw Earl for a split second motioning with his fingers, and Vince, strangely, standing at the ring apron wearing an angry scowl. Then he screamed at the bell ringer, Mark Yeaton, "Ring the bell! Ring the F*cking bell!" Yeaton, in stunned disbelief, couldn't bring himself to do it. I frantically tried to reverse the Sharpshooter on Shawn as Vince snapped hard at Yeaton- and the bell clanged, over and over.
I couldn't believe Earl F*cked me. It felt like all the blood in my veins had just evaporated. Earl jumped out of the ring and ran away as fast as he could toward Jack Lanza and Dave Hebner, who were waiting at the top of the ramp with a car running. My first thought was that I'd somehow let the whole country down. Shawn put on a show, cussing and carrying on as if he wasn't in on the whole thing. I saw Vince on the floor. The thought crossed my mind to jump out and go crazy on him. I looked over at Mark Yeaton, his mouth open and tears in his eyes. I leaned over the top rope, carefully aimed, and spit at Vince, hitting him right between the eyes. I saw Shawn hoisting the belt in the air in victory, and then being hustled away down the aisle by Hunter and Jerry Brisco. Vince kept trying to wipe my spit from his eyes. The crowd totally got what had just happend and began angrily chanting, "Bullshit! Bullshit!" The Montreal fans were outraged: a spark was all it would take to have a full-scale riot- and that was a bad idea. I had to calm myself and think smart. What would my dad do?
Looking out at the stunned crowd, I fought the tears that were swimming in my ears and thought, Don't you dare give these backstabbers the satisfaction of seeing you cry over any of this! Don't you dare cry! I worked so hard for him, fourteen years, all I wanted was my dignity. They'd cut the ring mic, but the cameras were still rolling, so I painted WCW in giant letters in the air for all to see. Owen, Davey, and Jim soon surrounded me. Owen said, "You don't look bad for this, they do! You were all class!" When I met thier eyes, I could feel myself dying inside. My lower lip start to quiver, so I bit it. Owen stood beside me, and his strength helped me keep it together. He told me that he and Rick had been duped into looking everywhere for Hunter, when Hunter was at ringside all along. For what seemed like an eternity, I looked out at the sea of sad people who felt as betrayed as I did, knowing what disrespect had been paid to me, my family, and millions of fans all around the world. I told myself to never forget this feeling, ever.
I jumped down from the ring and commenced smashing Vince's expensive TV monitors to the floor and tossing his headsets out into the crowd, surrounded by security gaurds who couldn't quite fiugre out whether this was part of the storyline."

Aftermath

Bret-"Surrounded by Paul Jay's crew, I went straight to Vince's office, and tried to break the steel door down. I gave up and walked back toward the dressing room, hounded by Japanese reporters who thought I'd explain everything that had happend for them right then and there. I felt like the Terminator. I wasn't the only one. I saw The Harris Twins kicking over barrels of garbage and punching the walls. The wrestlers were ready to riot to. Nothing to do but go home now. Blade trailed after me as I headed to the dressing room, but when I got to there, I found my bag sitting out in the hallway. I picked it up and walked inside only to see Shawn sitting in the corner. "Shaw, you weren't in on that?"
"I swear to F*cking god, I had nothing to do with it!"
"You weren't in on it?"
"So help me god, I don't know anything about it!"
He threw the belt on the floor and refused to wear it. Paul Jay's camera crew were right behind me filming everything they could. I wanted to rip Shawn to shreds- deep down I knew he was in on it all te way- but I didn't want to lose my cool in front of Blade. "Shawn," I said, "I'll judge you by what you do tomorrow on TV." I looked around at a rommful of stricken wrestlers and calmly said, "If they can do this to me, they can do this to anyone. Remember that." Taker blew his stack and shouted, "F*ck! I'm gunna bring his ass down here. I want Vince to explain himself to me, you and everyone else!" He kicked the dressing-room door open. As he stomped off down the hall, I could here angry wrestlers calling out to Taker where he could find Vince. Paul's crew left so I could undress.

--

I went to take a shower. Rick Rude and Davey appeared just out of range of the showers to tell me that, true to his word, Taker had made Vince open his door. Vince has rounded up a makeshift crew of bodygaurds consisting of Slaughter, Brisco, and his son Shane. I had my friends: Taker, [Ken] Shamrock, [Mick] Foley, Vader, Rude, Crush, Savio [Vega] and especially Owen, Davey, and Jim. The whole thing could turn into a damn mutiny- or worse! Finally Vince came down the hall with his posse and stepped into the dressing room. "He says he wants to talk to you," Rick called to me in the shower. "Tell Vince to get the hell out of here before he gets hurt." Rick and Davey returned in seconds telling me in unison, "He says he's staying." I told them to please warn him to leave. "If he stays, he's gonna get knocked out." But they came back with the same answer. I came out of the shower sopping wet, with no towel, and calmly walked past Vince. I was actually thinking that if they ever did a movie about this, it wouldn't look very good if I beat Vince up naked. As I picked up a damp towel from the floor, Vince dryly offered, "It's the first time I ever had to lie to one of my talent."
"Who are you kidding you lying piece of shit?" I shot back. Shawn now sat crying in the corner.
Brisco and Slaughtern tried to clear everyone out of the dressing room. Owen was about to leave when Davey grabbed him by the arm. "Don't leave," he said. "Remember what happend to Bruiser Brody." None of my boys left. With Davey, Rick, Owen and Jim on my left, I sat down and glared at Vince, sourrounded by his henchmen, who all stood with thier arms behind thier backs, Taker was also there, offering me full support. Shawn was still blubbering like a baby, his head in his hands. "You told me I could leave any way I wanted. That I was Cal Ripken. That I was doing you a favour. That you appreciated everything I ever did. That for everything I've done there was no reason for any problems. You've told me nothin' but lies all week, all F*cking year!" I said in a surprizengly calm voice. Then I added, "If your still here when I'm finished getting dressed, I'll have no choice but to punch you out!"
Vince seemed unfazed, even tried to take credit for my deal with Turner, but I cut him off to remind him that I'd taken the lesser deal from Vince because I'd wanted to stay loyal to him. "After fourteen years, you just couldn't let me leave with my head up?" I shot him down on every lie. I was calm and rational asd I sized up the room and who was there, noticin too the look on Owen's face: I could see he was afriad of what it might be like to stay on with Vince after this, whatever this was, was over, but that he was backing me to the fullest. Like one of my best matches, I could see it all play out in my head. I knew a fight with Vince was likely to come down to a half-assed pull-apart, so I intentionally left my shirt off so no one could grab it. I'd be lucky if I got one good shot in before they all pounced on me. When I tied the laces of my hi-tops, I stood up and said, "Okay."
I picked up my kinee brace, thinking to smash Vince over the head with it, but I tossed it down, declaring, "I won't need this!" and went straight for him. Cockily Vince came back at me and we actually tied up. Fourteen f*cking years! I launched a rocket-launcher upper cut that connected with Vince's jaw. My right fist actually popped him like a cork off the ground, and he collapsed unconscious to the carpet. His cavalry jumped in, but they were too late. I found myself jostling with Jerry Brisco, who I would find out later was the one who had designed the whole screwjob for Vince. I told him if he so much touched me again, I'd give him exactly the same as I had given Vince, and the lying little coward backed away with his hands up. For the next forty seconds we all stared at Vince unconscious, splayed like an X on the floor.
I calmly took my seat again and noticed that my hand was throbbing. I thought it might be broken. Shane pulled Vince into a sitting position and pleaded with me to let his father get his bearings. I angrily shouted, "Get him out!" Slaughter and Brisco dragged him backwards by the armpits and plopped him in the bench across from me. I stood up and snatched my knee brace with a wild, mad look on my face, and I think I meant it when I shouted, "Get him the F*ck out right now or I'll finish him with this!" When I came toward him, Shane and his helpers propped Vince on his feet and walked him limping out the door. I would find out later that my punch liften him high enough off the ground that when he came down he rolled his ankle and nearly broke it. And as history would have it, Paul filmed a dazed Vince staggering down the hall. The dressing room was now quiet, except for Shawn's sniffling. I walked toward him, thinking I should kick the shit out of him too, while I had the chance. Instead I held out my hand. "Thanks for the match, Shawn." He shook my broken hand and started crying even harder."

HBK-"When I got behind the curtain, it was complete chaos. Davey Boy yelled, "What happend?"
"I don't know. They rang the bell." Jerry and Hunter kept moving me. Earl was gone. He left the ring and ran to the back, where his brother had the car running for him. He jumped in and was out of the building in no time at all. They shuttled me into the locker room. There was this stunned look on a lot of people's faces. I saw the DOA guys (Ron and Don Harris) and I went and sat next to them. Hunter was pacing. Then he left to go check out the situation. Everyone was rushing around in the back, and out in the arena, Bretv was tearing up the television monitors and spitting in Vince's face.'Taker was sitting in the locker room, not far from me. He looked over and asked, "Did you know that was going to happen?"
"No, I didn't."
"All right."
By this time Bret had made his way back, and he was beyond furious. He asked me if I knew anything about it. "As god is my witness, I didn't know anything about it, Bret." I lied, plain and simple. As a Christian now, I wouldn't say that. But I'm not going to pretend that I didn't. That's what I told Bret. I wasn't afraid of him. I was sitting with the DOA. If we got into a fight, we got into a fight. I had people around me. Davey Boy was yelling. I didn't say a word. I just sat there between the DOA. All of a sudden, Vince, Brisco, and Shane walked into the locker room. Vince told Bret, "You left me no choice. I'm sorry that this had to happen, but it's a decision that I made." Bret walked up to Vince and punched him in the face. Vince took what looked like to me the worst dive ever. He crumbled down to the floor, and Shane and the others helped him up. After he was back on his feet, Vince looked at Bret and said, "I owed you that." He then left the room. I heard a little while later that Bret was so full of pride because of the punch. I don't think that he was aware that Vince knew that he was going to do it and took a dive. Once Vince left the room, Bret took his boots off, put his shoes on, grabbed his bag, and left. While all this was going on, Hunter was out in the hallway getting cussed out by Bret's wife. They captured that in Bret's film."

original link :http://www.under-the-mat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17070&highlight=&sid=b23243c600fa933e5aa2990ae8a3caba

Zen v.W.o.
07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
lol, HBK is such a little bullshitter. Even goes so far as to continue to kiss Vince's ass when he tries to make people believe Vince took a dive. Well no wonder, he's still under contract, anyone who writes a book still working for the company never makes Vince look real bad.

Not only that, he then goes on to write that he yelled at Earl to just ring the bell, while locking Bret in the sharpshooter. That right there is where he's full of shit. Had he done that, Bret would have known for certain exactly who were all in on it. And Shawn wouldnt dare let that be known.

SammyG
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
That was a hell of a read. Thank you for posting.

NYDon
07-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Bret's a bad liar. I believe Shawn more from those excerpts. Bret shouldn't have made those comments about the family in the Calgary Sun, end of story.

FourFifty
07-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I refuse to read what Bret "I'm too good for the fans who made me who I am so I didn't go into the ring at WrestleMania after I got into the hall of fame because I can't get over 1997" Hart has to say.
Not quite as catchy as "hitman" but it works.

FourFifty
07-26-2008, 05:36 PM
K4L!!!!!!

addy2hotty
07-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Have to agree with FourFifty. Any lingering doubt I had about Montreal was answered after the HoF.

Hart bangs on about 14 years this, 14 years that. After 14 years of working the business, he still had no idea what it was all about.

Juan
07-26-2008, 06:17 PM
http://coreygilmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

DaveBrawl
07-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I think Undertaker's side would be a very interesting read to accompany this. Neither of these are going to be even close to accurate I imagine, but I would imagine Bret's would be a little closer to the truth.

DaveBrawl
07-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Although the idea of Bret's Mortal Kombatesque super uppercut to Vince and Shawn not being affected at all by falling through some paneling is kind of funny.

XL
07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I think Undertaker's side would be a very interesting read to accompany this. Neither of these are going to be even close to accurate I imagine, but I would imagine Bret's would be a little closer to the truth.
Undertaker's is like the ONLY book (other than McMahon's - although that'd probably full of bull) I wanna read from anyone associated with WWE.

He's been there through a whole loada stuff.

Xero
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Considering how serious he takes the character, I can't really see Taker revealing much. He seems to be one of those old-school types that would rather keep everything kayfabe.

Though yeah, if Taker ever wrote a book or did a shoot it would probably be one of the best out there considering how long he's been a top player and how deep in the company I assume he is.

Destor
07-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm already sick of seing this thread and it isn't even on page 4 yet.

CSL
07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I got to the end of the first post and saw how much was left. Gonna read the rest later, hungry. Great post(s) however, especially if you haven't read their books

XL
07-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I still have crossed fingers that once he's retired we'll get a book. (About Taker)

Fox
07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Have to agree with FourFifty. Any lingering doubt I had about Montreal was answered after the HoF.

Hart bangs on about 14 years this, 14 years that. After 14 years of working the business, he still had no idea what it was all about.

And YOU do?

I can't wait to read his book.

Kane Knight
07-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I refuse to read what Bret "I'm too good for the fans who made me who I am so I didn't go into the ring at WrestleMania after I got into the hall of fame because I can't get over 1997" Hart has to say.
Not quite as catchy as "hitman" but it works.

Proving once again that "mark" is just another term for "retard."

IC Champion
07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
LOL, Bret Hart is still the fucking man. FTW

ozzman6669
07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
What piss me off with Bret is that he is always the victim in everything even if he was'nt better than HBK

thedamndest
07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Was that Bret's LAST WWF appearance? Couldn't he have dropped it the next night on Raw to Sid or something as he said he was so willing to do? Or beat Michaels and then have Sid come down and beat him afterwards, like WM 9? I dunno, there's a lot of scenarios that could have avoided the schmoz.

Xero
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't think Bret's contract had technically been terminated that night. I believe he had a few weeks left.

RaginRonic
07-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Who knows...maybe Bret wanted script based wrestling to end and turn it legit, just to kill the McMahon's and Clique's voices out of the wrestling world. :P

Too bad Shawn won't just put a gun in his mouth and end himself. Not like he's really needed anymore in wrestling. :P

CSL
07-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Even though he's still one of the top 5 workers in the world

RaginRonic
07-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Hmm...I wonder if a sledgehammer would cause Shawn's head to explode from a heavy impact...maybe see his brains litter the walls of the room it would happen in...XD

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Hmm...I wonder if a sledgehammer would cause Shawn's head to explode from a heavy impact...maybe see his brains litter the walls of the room it would happen in...XD

Jesus Christ you suck.

Destor
07-27-2008, 02:21 AM
What happend to be nice to all the new posters Kalyx?

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Goes out the window when some dude disses HBK.

Volare
07-27-2008, 02:23 AM
ummm...ok Ronic

Anyways, I agree with the Undertaker telling his side of the story in the back at SS 97' I wanna know what he says happened and put it all together...Taker has been through the high and the low...but I figure maybe he could put the whole perspective together.

Nervous Ferret
07-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Dude who cares

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
And he does the 'XD' ':P' thing that should be exclusive to girls.

Ronic sucks.

Destor
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Goes out the window when some dude disses HBM.
Fixed

MCEazy
07-27-2008, 02:51 AM

How the fuck does this shithead still have green rep? :?:

Anyhoo, both sides of the story aren't entirely truthful whatsoever so we definetly need a neutral party to give their account on it, which would be taker.

darkpower
07-27-2008, 03:03 AM

Now, let's test this theory out on you first, and THEN, if it works, we'll discuss said plans.

:nono:

#1-norm-fan
07-27-2008, 10:26 PM
By the way, I think both sides of this story are pretty much bullshit. Hulk Hogan hits the nail on the head though. :y:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Yd0vPYIVuE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Yd0vPYIVuE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HBK pinned Michaels at WrestleMania 16. These two need to get their facts straight...

Blue Demon
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
LOL, Bret Hart is still the fucking man. FTW

Dorkchop
07-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Both sides are exaggerating. I more so believe Bret's story due to Wrestling with Shadows.

Vince didn't take a dive. HBK is fucking ridiculous for making that up. Sounded like Bret exaggerated about his Shoryuken uppercut, but he did knock out Vince. I heard Vince's ankle was accidently stepped on.

I'd love an Undertaker book. He seems like he'd be pretty truthful. He's been with WWE for so long, seeing many highs and many lows. He was great on Off the Record years ago.