PDA

View Full Version : New Venom Film

Jon Kano
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Spider-man Spin-off In The Works

<SMALL>31 July 2008 9:02 AM, PDT</SMALL>
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNjQxMzI5MDkxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA3MTQ1MQ@@._V1._SY90_.jpg
Movie bosses are reportedly in negotiations to produce a Spider-man spin-off film - based on the superhero's arch nemesis Venom.
The villainous character - an evil alien symbiote - appeared in the third installment of the comic book action franchise, 2007's Spider-Man 3 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413300/), and inhabited the body of the photojournalist played by Topher Grace (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0333410/).
The movie will be in addition to the forthcoming Spider-Man 4 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470/) film, which is expected to hit cinemas in 2011, according to Empireonline.com.

Not sure.....they better fucking do it right....they shoulda done this before they bought Venom into the Spiderman films, to set him up for being a villain against Spiderman.

Reavant
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
nice

Fox
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Wonder if it will be Topher Grace again.

If so, I don't see this working.

Jon Kano
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree immensely

Kris P Lettus
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
nice

Rammsteinmad
07-31-2008, 02:22 PM
This is why Marvel is sooooooooo much better than DC.

It seems every month their giving us at least 3 new things to look forward to IE films/cartoons etc.

Rammsteinmad
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Also, if it was Venom what would the story be? I'm not too familiar with many Venom stories other than the main ones that appeared in Spider-Man.

Kane Knight
07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Also, if it was Venom what would the story be? I'm not too familiar with many Venom stories other than the main ones that appeared in Spider-Man.

In the comics, Venom was always out to protect "innocents," because of his own personal code. Venom viewed Spider-Man as the one who ruined both Brock's and the symbiote's innocence (Remember, Brock didn't actually fake that shot of Spider-Man, and the Symbiote is just a lover scorned).

They've done a few spinoffs regarding that hook.

However, in the movie, the symbiote is a little more vicious, like the 90s cartoon. Not sure if the same plots would work, considering the symbiote taps the evil in someone.

Jeritron
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
This is why Marvel is sooooooooo much better than DC.

It seems every month their giving us at least 3 new things to look forward to IE films/cartoons etc.

Yea, but 9 times out of 10 they're hokey and terrible. Because of that trend, I don't really look forward to them.
Marvel has been so quick on the trigger getting movies and spinoffs made for all their properities that very few of them have been handled right.
Spiderman 1 and 2 were home runs, as were Xmen 1 and 2
Iron Man was superb, and the new Incredible Hulk was decent.

But what about the rest? They've made so many terrible movies.

thedamndest
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
The first Blade was awesome, though it felt more like a great B-movie than a movie based on a comic.

Jeritron
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Forgot about Blade. Yes, it was good stuff

XL
07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Wonder if it will be Topher Grace again.

If so, I don't see this working.
Word is they may be looking for "a bigger name" to hang the film on.

Kalyx triaD
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Fuck that, I want Topher. This could be the movie to elevate him - like Spidey did for Tobey. I dug Topher as Venom, it worked in the universe Raimi crafted.

bigdaddysuperfreak
07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Im sure they could have spidey cameo in the movie saving someone close to eddie brock allowing him to see how spiderman really is leading up to their truce.

Kane Knight
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
The first Blade was awesome, though it felt more like a great B-movie than a movie based on a comic.

Often enough, the difference is small.

But I digress.

The whole "crap factor" is pretty accurate. Marvel makes movies I want to like. I mean, I love Daredevil, but that movie just...Ew. Elektra was terrible, even as a spinoff for a lackluster movie. I just watched Hulk recently (Not the new one), because my ex and her "friend" hasn't seen it yet, and it was even worse than I remembered. I hear good things about Iron Man and the new Hulk, but considering how bad a lot of their movies are, that doesn't mean much.

DC has had some terrible movies, but they tend to have a better good to shite ratio.

Also, I just want to say, Fuck Topher Grace. Then again, I still hate Tobey, too...

Destor
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I wonder if it will about Venom or Eddie Brock being Venom if you follow my meaning. I think there's more to explore if it's about Venom as oposed to Eddie Brock being Venom.

Reavant
08-01-2008, 03:14 AM
If Topher is enom in this movie, I wont mind but do they really need Venom to stay Tophers size? I mean he was smaller than Toby in that damn movie. They need a body builder or something under the suit or it will just be wrong.

Dave Youell
08-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Why has no one thought of Karnage yet?

Reavant
08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
you dont think he will be part of this movie?

Kalyx triaD
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
If Topher is enom in this movie, I wont mind but do they really need Venom to stay Tophers size? I mean he was smaller than Toby in that damn movie. They need a body builder or something under the suit or it will just be wrong.

Character > Shallow Details

U-Warrior
08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
As long as brock is motivated by a (twisted) sense of justice, and a desire to protect the innocent in the most ass way possible, then it could be good.

Kind of missed out on the whole point of the character in Spider-man 3. Which I wasn't surprised by, since it was kind of forced on raimi, and he had to put his whole story in that film, instead of just starting it for SM 4. And the fact that he doesn't even like venom.

Reavant
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Character > Shallow Details

ummm you are completely wrong... his whole look is part of his character

Fox
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I could see it going like this:

Venom somehow rematerializes and goes on a mission to kill Spider-Man. He fights him once (this is from Venom's POV, so it wouldn't matter if it was actually Tobey under the suit or not) and he defeats him, almost kills him but the police and a SWAT team save Spidey's ass. Venom tries to make a break for it but he's taken down by a Sonic wave gun and taken into custody.

In the jail cell, Cletus Kassady is his cell mate and after Venom escapes, Cletus joins with part of the symbiote that remained behind and becomes Carnage.

Then we have Venom vs. Carnage vs. Spider-Man as the finale, just like in the Maximum Carnage comic book.

Shadow
08-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Uh...just outta curiosity but....didn't they kinda blow up Venom in Spider-Man 3?

Dave Youell
08-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Uh...just outta curiosity but....didn't they kinda blow up Venom in Spider-Man 3?

Well you never saw a body did you? And as we are talking Comic's here anything could of happened

Kalyx triaD
08-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Venom somehow rematerializes and goes on a mission to kill Spider-Man. He fights him once (this is from Venom's POV, so it wouldn't matter if it was actually Tobey under the suit or not) and he defeats him, almost kills him but the police and a SWAT team save Spidey's ass. Venom tries to make a break for it but he's taken down by a Sonic wave gun and taken into custody.

In the jail cell, Cletus Kassady is his cell mate and after Venom escapes, Cletus joins with part of the symbiote that remained behind and becomes Carnage.

Then we have Venom vs. Carnage vs. Spider-Man as the finale, just like in the Maximum Carnage comic book.

Decent scenario, but no point having Spidey in the finale. Actually, I'd not have him in the movie at all. General audiences are finicky, shallow and stupid; no matter how market a venom movie they'll call it and expect it to be a Spidey movie. Let's not drive their stupidity.

Most likely, Carnage will be the villain. Brock/Venom will need to keep his edge, maybe give the film a macabre humor to it with a guy like Brock in the lead (something Topher could pull off). The somebody much worse than him comes along and he... well he grows up, learning Uncle Ben's great quote through life experience.

Kane Knight
08-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Noid Rage: The Cliff Notes version.

Rammsteinmad
08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
If anyone knows the 3-parter "Funeral Pyre" featuring the Punisher, this could make a ok film I guess.

Unfortunately there's no uber nasty bad guys, but they could have Castle catch a glipse of the symbiote in the upcoming War Zone film. Maybe a quick "what the fuck was that?".

Dunno, just trying to connect more Marvel films I guess. :D

Kalyx triaD
08-03-2008, 02:57 AM
ummm you are completely wrong... his whole look is part of his character

How so? Explain to me.

U-Warrior
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, reavant, thats pretty much wrong in this case. Venom sucked in spidey 3, because they completely fucked up the character's personality and motivation. It's the costume and big nasty teeth which are iconic, not his size. Turned him into a cookie cutter villain, instead of the psychologicaly complex character he is supposed to be. I don't blame raimi for that as I said, because he was pretty much forced by avi arid to put venom in the movie.

Venom shouldn't have gotten involved with spidey, and they should have saved the rest of his story for the fourth film, where they would have had more room to develop his character.

Oh, and I didn't like how Eddie Brock was portrayed either. Brock was never the cowardly, sniveling little weasel type. He was a man with a strong sense of justice, which ties into the venom character.

Hopefully all this gets recognized for this spin-off.

Reavant
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
How so? Explain to me.

He is supposed to be spiderman's worst nightmare. He is supposed to be dominant over spiderman in almost every sense. He is strongr, faster, and bigger. There has not been one instance other than the last movie that he has been depicted smaller than spiderman. Yes the costume and the teth are iconic, but the giant beast stalking spiderman. The illusion is to give that theres no way spiderman can win.

Kalyx triaD
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
If someone knew my secret identity, had easy access to my loved ones, and felt his deadly hatred for me was justifiable by God; him being bigger wouldn't be the issue. His physical body size does give the illusion of oppressive dominance, but that's Vince McMahon's way of thinking. It doesn't drive story or character, but it might sell tickets. "Big guy versus little guy." C'mon...

And actually, Venom was bigger than Spidey in the movie. Not by much but hey, there you go.

I never seen the point of the "He's not big enough" debate for these comic movies. Like we really need WWE wrestlers, body builders and such for these roles. Cause that's what it sounds like some of you guys are asking for.

U-Warrior
08-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, even if they wanted to make him bigger, with today's cg, you wouldn't need a bigger actor.

But its still irrelevant anyways, in my opinion.

Reavant
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I just dont see how you guys dont think its a big deal. I mean thats a pretty significant change to the character from the comics. I mean Ie seen people spaz out for much more subtle changes to comic characters from comics to movies.

Kalyx triaD
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Me and U-Warrior had a spat about Goku not having a tail in the upcoming Dragonball movie, but his stance had relevence due to the Sayijin tail's connection to certain plots.

You're talking body mass.

For me it was never a big deal so long as the character was intact. Elektra's costume in her movie was on point. Did that do anything for you?

U-Warrior
08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I just dont see how you guys dont think its a big deal. I mean thats a pretty significant change to the character from the comics. I mean Ie seen people spaz out for much more subtle changes to comic characters from comics to movies.

We are not those people. There was probably a good reason why he wasn't as big as his comic counterpart. A very real possibilty is that they may have tried, and it just didn't look as good.

Although, admittedly, if they were going to say fuck all to the depth and character that made venom great, they probably should have worked on the cg to make him look good, big.

loopydate
08-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Didn't Connors still have a bit of the symbiote in his lab?

MCEazy
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
I wonder if the movie will follow that storyline from the comics from awhile, where Venom has to work for this secret government agency or whatever, was a 3 part series I think...

Kane Knight
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, reavant, thats pretty much wrong in this case. Venom sucked in spidey 3, because they completely fucked up the character's personality and motivation. It's the costume and big nasty teeth which are iconic, not his size. Turned him into a cookie cutter villain, instead of the psychologicaly complex character he is supposed to be. I don't blame raimi for that as I said, because he was pretty much forced by avi arid to put venom in the movie.

Venom shouldn't have gotten involved with spidey, and they should have saved the rest of his story for the fourth film, where they would have had more room to develop his character.

Oh, and I didn't like how Eddie Brock was portrayed either. Brock was never the cowardly, sniveling little weasel type. He was a man with a strong sense of justice, which ties into the venom character.

Hopefully all this gets recognized for this spin-off.

Sony Pictures wanted it, I think they were the primary push, not Avi.

Besides, Raimi did a lot with that movie that was just retarded. I know Raimi's a God around these parts, but if he fucked all that shit up because he didn't like Venom, he was cutting off his nose to spite his face.

He is supposed to be spiderman's worst nightmare. He is supposed to be dominant over spiderman in almost every sense. He is strongr, faster, and bigger. There has not been one instance other than the last movie that he has been depicted smaller than spiderman. Yes the costume and the teth are iconic, but the giant beast stalking spiderman. The illusion is to give that theres no way spiderman can win.

You're emphasising the least important element of his "worst nightmare," though.

Spider-Man's worst nightmare comes from the fact that Venom is a committed individual with all his powers plus, not to mention the ability to completely hide from Spider-Man's Spider-Sense, and (as alrerady mentioned), an identity that allows him to get close to Parker's friends and family. He can strike from anywhere, and he will. He doesn't need to be bigger to be badder and scarier.

Well, even if they wanted to make him bigger, with today's cg, you wouldn't need a bigger actor.

But its still irrelevant anyways, in my opinion.

They don't do that, though. Ever noticed how it's usually the actors in the costumes? Kinda dumb, but they seem to want to capture the "real" guy regardless.

Didn't Connors still have a bit of the symbiote in his lab?

I think he meant that Brock was blown up, too. Though that's readily explainable. Say, for example, the symbiote ejected Brock to save him. Combine that with the remaining piece, and you've got an answer.

U-Warrior
08-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Sony Pictures wanted it, I think they were the primary push, not Avi.

Besides, Raimi did a lot with that movie that was just retarded. I know Raimi's a God around these parts, but if he fucked all that shit up because he didn't like Venom, he was cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Oh, yeah there were plenty of reasons why it didn't work. Just saying it didn't help.

I think given a movie of his own, to be the main villain in, Raimi probably would have taken the time to do venom right, despite his dislike for the character. Because frankly, the one thing he does great in these movies is the villains. Given the time to flesh them out. But with two villains taking up the majority of the film, he pretty much had to shoehorn venom into the movie.

I definitly think Raimi has his faults, but it's hard to place all the blame on him here.

Kane Knight
08-09-2008, 11:52 AM
They should have built up t Venom, anyway. I thought that's why they were introducing Jonah's son. If nothing else, a longer rivalry between Brock and Parker and more time with the symbiote would have probably made it better.

Still, Spider-Man 3 is probably my favorite of the three. I mean, If you ignore the shit where Parker gopes evil and struts and eats pie, there's a lot of great action and shit.

U-Warrior
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Dunno, the clocktower/train fight in 2, was one of the best fight scenes in any action movie. The scenes in 3 are great, but nothing tops that fight, imo.

Overall, I like the second best, but I'm a Dr. Octopus mark, so go figure.

Jon Kano
08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Also, introducing Jonah's son, the atronaught, it woulda made sense and been awesome to have a NASA spacecraftcrash-land on the bridge like in the cartoon, allowing the symbiote to come into contact with Parker when he tries to save the day etc

Not just having it fall out of the sky, weakest plot tact ever.

U-Warrior
08-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah, definitly agree with you there, but honestly there was already too much crap packed into the movie. I coudn't imagine the kind of clusterfuck it would have been, had they decided to expand on the symbiote's origin.

Jon Kano
08-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah but I could make a list as long as my arm of the crap they coulda done without...

Well, maybe not that long, but there was a hella lot, and Pete's 'Emo Trip' and dance off would be right at the fuckin top!

Lux
08-18-2008, 05:40 AM
I just dont see how you guys dont think its a big deal. I mean thats a pretty significant change to the character from the comics. I mean Ie seen people spaz out for much more subtle changes to comic characters from comics to movies. Because its a movie, not the comic book, stfu and buy a ticket, some popcorn and a large drink and bring a girl, i doubt you'll be that engrossed in the movie with all that extra baggage :p

Fuck that, I want Topher. This could be the movie to elevate him - like Spidey did for Tobey. I dug Topher as Venom, it worked in the universe Raimi crafted. I agree

Yeah but I could make a list as long as my arm of the crap they coulda done without...

Well, maybe not that long, but there was a hella lot, and Pete's 'Emo Trip' and dance off would be right at the fuckin top!
His little emo evil scenes had me in stitchs, loved the cockiness... so did the ladies ;)

Jon Kano
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
His little emo evil scenes had me in stitchs, loved the cockiness... so did the ladies ;)

They were shit man, come on.

Reavant
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
word

Jon Kano
08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
And that dance, swear to god that went on for like twenty min. Think I started to count the tiles on the ceiling.

Lux
08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
They were shit man, come on.

To each his own :p

i found it entertaining

Destor
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Fuck out of here with this shit 4.25

Lux
08-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Just saying to each his own, i'm not throwing out there that it was the best thing i've ever seen, just saying it made me laugh, ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMIT :rant: