PDA

View Full Version : Was he better like this (Mankind)

Rollermacka
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHVPkubWj04&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHVPkubWj04&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I always liked this Mankind than the Mr. Socko, happy kind of one. Which did you like more?

OverTaker
08-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah, deranged mankind is far more legendary than the cooky, pain killer taking, happy Mankind.

#1-norm-fan
08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
This just in: Mick Foley can cut an amazing promo. :y:

Supreme Olajuwon
08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I can still to this day picture Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly coughing up phlegm after receiving the mandible claw in Mankind's debut match on Raw. Freaked me the fuck out.

JT
08-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Yea, but even as Mick Foley pointed out, a majority of fans never really paid attention to him till he started the happy-go-lucky Mankind gimmick.

Vastardikai
08-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm in the minority because of the following reasons:

1. The debut vignettes, I heard the voice and said "THAT'S CACTUS JACK!" And, being a Jack mark, I was looking forward to him.
2. His debut feud was against the Undertaker, and he had the upper hand in the early going. He wasn't as big as a Yokozuna or a Giant Gonzales (who sucked), but he was definitely physical, and crazy enough to believe he would be a threat.

Fox
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I have to say that I enjoyed both equally. Even though the deranged, boiler room living-in, pet rat having Mankind character was far more interesting, the goofy Mankind fit in perfectly as the comic relief during the Attitude Era, while nearly all of the other top guys were doing serious gimmicks (Austin, Rock, McMahon, the Corporation, the Ministry of Darkness).

Anything was better than the Dude.

Dave Youell
08-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I've said this many times about Mick.

The main reason he got over with Mr Socko IMO, wasn't because he was using a sock, it was because he was and is and genuinely like-able guy, who's overweight.

Now a lot of fans can identify with him, almost in the same way as I feel fans do with Jeff Hardy right now and Dusty Rhodes back in the day fans see some guys and they are now over the top psychical specimens, so fans seeing this can believe that they 'could' be that guy, that's the connection he created with his later alter ego.

Heck the original turn of Mankind wasn't ever planned, the interviews with JR were meant to delve into the darker side of the character and it ended up getting him more over as a face.

So was the early Mankind awesome? You bet your fucking ass, he was totally out there and you believed he'd do anything to win, plus he had that match at Mind Games which was just fucking amazing.

So in conclusion, anything Mickles does is awesome, k?

Destor
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Wait, there are people on TPWW who are aware of somethign that happend before WM14? NO WAY! I refuse to belive this thread exists.

FourFifty
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Wait, there are people on TPWW who are aware of somethign that happend before WM14? NO WAY! I refuse to belive this thread exists.

Seconded. So do we vote on if this thread exists now?

Vastardikai
08-03-2008, 01:17 AM
There was a WM before 14?

:shifty:

Rammsteinmad
08-03-2008, 02:38 AM
I liked both, but I found comedy Mick highly entertaining, and as Fox said, he was a good comic relief to the serious acts of people like The Rock and Steve Austin.

RVDmark
08-03-2008, 10:25 AM
There was a WM before 14?

:shifty:

Nope only WM17 exists, the others are just Urban Legend.

Johnny Vegas
08-03-2008, 11:07 AM
There were some that liked him, but i really think he started to "gain respect" from the fans with the King of The Ring '98 match with the Undertaker. IMO, of course.

Dorkchop
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I prefer funny Mankind, but creepy Mankind was great. Funny Mankind wouldn't have been so great had he not played creepy Mankind.

Xero
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Honestly, funny Mankind worked best mainly because you could see Mick as Mankind. It was sprinkled with serious moments, so it worked.

My favorite is the old version, though. It was brilliantly done.

Anybody Thrilla
08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
What I really loved about the first Mankind was that he had entrance music and EXIT music which were two different songs. His entrance music was dark and foreboding, while his exit music was just some soft piano music. The piano music was the only thing that could calm him down, or something like that. It was awesome. You don't see that kind of thing anymore.

Xero
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, Festus' gimmick is a similar concept.

Vastardikai
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, Festus' gimmick is a similar concept.

Actually, Festus' gimmick is based off of an episode of the 3 Stooges.

Xero
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
But it's a similar concept.

Rollermacka
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually, Festus' gimmick is based off of an episode of the 3 Stooges.

I think I remember the episode is this the one where if Curly smells the prefume and goes crazy and the only way to calm him down is to tickle his feet?

Vastardikai
08-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I think there was a boxing episode where he freaks out everytime the bell rings to start a round.

Dave Youell
08-04-2008, 07:02 AM
The Piano thing was just meant to represent his peace, like with Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs, after lots of brutality, the Piano kicks in, and gives it a weird sense of calm.

The music wasn't meant as a mental thing like with Festus

Blue Demon
08-04-2008, 10:17 AM

I'm 24 now, and I've been a wrestling fan since I was 4....you do the math :p

Blue Demon
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
ALso, I liked the Mankind character as a whole, from the psychotic early Mankind to the later more sane, goofy one.

Loose Cannon
08-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I loved that piano music. I had it playing at one point when my computer started up every time. Like 99ish

Afterlife
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Hypocrite. :p