PDA

View Full Version : You know what's never made sense to me...

Supreme Olajuwon
08-08-2008, 12:56 AM
playing a wrestler's theme music before he makes a run-in. It doesn't make any sense. It's like "Hey my friend's getting his ass kicked. I better help him. Wait! I have to go tell the audio guy to queue up my theme before I can go out there." Austin was the worst about this. He never made a run-in without his music playing first.

I know why they do it and I know why it works, it just doesn't make any sense.

Xero
08-08-2008, 01:03 AM
There are a lot worse logic-based scenarios that make a lot less sense than that.

Like, why can someone be beaten about 100 times with various weapons in a hardcore match and still pull out a win relatively unscathed but one or two chair shots can send you to a hospital in any normal type of match?

Afterlife
08-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Mindset!

Supreme Olajuwon
08-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Xero Limit, do you possibly have a list I could reference so that I don't look foolish next time?

Thanks,
S.O.

Xero
08-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Yes, I do.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Could you send it to me in a .PDF? Please and thank you.

Xero
08-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry.

CSL
08-08-2008, 01:15 AM
"Suspension of disbelief is an aesthetic theory intended to characterize people's relationships to art. It was coined by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge in 1817. It refers to the willingness of a person to accept as true the premises of a work of fiction, even if they are fantastic or impossible. It also refers to the willingness of the audience to overlook the limitations of a medium, so that these do not interfere with the acceptance of those premises. According to the theory, suspension of disbelief is a quid pro quo: the audience tacitly agrees to provisionally suspend their judgment in exchange for the promise of entertainment."

I'm so witty

Supreme Olajuwon
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
That you are. Positive reputations for you.

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
CSLi Manning *Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap*

CSL
08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
I 100% <strike>ripped that off from Wikipedia</strike> deserve this glorious recognition

CSL
08-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Recognition in sociology is public acknowledgement of person's status or merits (achievements, virtues, service, etc).

When some person is recognized, he or she is accorded some special status, such as a name, title, or classification. Recognition can take many forms, such as mention in the mass media. Or additional reputation on The People's Wrestling Website

On fire

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 01:33 AM
<dl><dt>White lie</dt><dd>A white lie would cause no discord if it were uncovered and offers some benefit to the liar, the hearer, or both. White lies are often used to avoid offense, such as telling someone that you think that their new outfit looks good when you actually think that it is a horrible excuse for an outfit. In this case the lie is told to avoid the harmful implications and realistic implications of the truth. As a concept it is largely defined by local custom and cannot be clearly separated from regular lies with any authority. As such, the term may have differing meanings in different cultures. Lies that are harmless but told for no reason are generally called white lies.</dd></dl>

Xero
08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and is also a civil law violation, punishable by banning. Many hoaxes are fraudulent, although those not made for personal gain are not technically frauds. Defrauding people of money or reputation and is presumably the most common type of fraud, but there have also been many fraudulent "discoveries" in art, archaeology, and science.

Also see: CSLi Manning

CSL
08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
In law, defamation (also called calumny, libel, slander, and vilification) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. Slander refers to a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images.

Related topics: Jealousy

Xero
08-08-2008, 01:41 AM
In a hierarchy or tree structure of any kind, a superior is an individual or position at a higher level in the hierarchy than another (a "subordinate"), and thus closer to the apex. It is often used in businness terminology to refer to people who are supervisors and in the military to people who are higher in the chain of command.

See also: KLIQ

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Fool - A jester, joker, jokester, fool, wit-cracker, or buffoon is a member of a profession that came into popularity in the Middle Ages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages). Jesters are always thought to have typically worn brightly colored clothes and eccentric hats in a motley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motley) pattern. Jesters have been featured on playing cards. Their hats, sometimes called the cap ’n bells, cockscomb (obsolete coxcomb), were especially distinctive; made of cloth, they were floppy with three points (liliripes) each of which had a jingle bell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingle_bell) at the end. The three points of the hat represent the ass's ears and tail worn by jesters in earlier times. Other things distinctive about the jester were his incessant laughter and his mock scepter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scepter), known as a bauble or maharoof.
In recent years, scholars including David Carlyon have cast doubt on the "daring political jester," calling historical tales "apocryphal," and concluding that "Popular culture embraces a sentimental image of the clown; writers reproduce that sentimentality in the jester, and academics in the Trickster,"

Also: See Kliq Fan

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Love the timing on that :)

Juan
08-08-2008, 01:48 AM
It never made sense to me how HHH, Ric Flair and Harley Race could drop knees on peoples heads without knocking them unconscious.

Weird.

CSL
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Soft knee syndrome (also called SKS or Kobashi syndrome) is a non-common health problem where a person has a large bag of marshmallows where their knee cap should be

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
It never made sense that a sledgehammer shot to the head didnt break anyones skull.

or how you could tear your quad slapping someones hand.

Juan
08-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Soft knee syndrome (also called SKS or Kobashi syndrome) is a non-common health problem where a person has a large bag of marshmallows where their knee cap should be

:rofl:

Tazz Dan
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
The whole Ric Flair respect thing confused me.

Perfect example, a while back when Rated RKO were beating him to a pulp because DX werent in the building. Where was everyone else backstage who "respects" him??? huh? HUH? :shifty:

Juan
08-08-2008, 02:05 AM
They were all afraid of Rated-RKO, duh!

El Fangel
08-08-2008, 02:07 AM
They were all legends, and afraid of getting killed.

or having their bags shit in.

Fox
08-08-2008, 02:28 AM
The worst example of this was Mankind's first WWF Title win against Rock. I thought it took a lot of attention away from Foley and even though it got a good pop, I think it would've gotten one even if he had just ran down without the music.

DaVe
08-08-2008, 02:54 AM
It's like "Hey my friend's getting his ass kicked. I better help him. Wait! I have to go tell the audio guy to queue up my theme before I can go out there." Austin was the worst about this. He never made a run-in without his music playing first.

Well, Austin doesn't like/care for anyone. He'll take as much time as he wants before he goes a 'saves' someone he doesn't really care about.

FourFifty
08-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Simple answer- it makes for a better show.

Let's go back to WMVIII
Hogan is getting beaten down by Papa Shango and Sid. This is horrible! The hero who can do no wrong, never did steroids, and won't hold people down for his own personal gain is getting beaten up by a midcarder for life and a big man who could have been more if he was booked right! Oh No!
And the first sign of hope for the fans- The Warrior's music. YAY!!!!
Now if you take the music out of that it wouldn't have been as awesome. It just would have been "Oh, he's helping out Hulk Hogan. What a swell guy." But since he had his music going on it was "OMFG!!!! FUCK YEA!!!!!!!!!"

Albeit Flair and Savage should have headlined that card.

Verbose Minch
08-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Simple answer- it makes for a better show.

Let's go back to WMVIII
Hogan is getting beaten down by Papa Shango and Sid. This is horrible! The hero who can do no wrong, never did steroids, and won't hold people down for his own personal gain is getting beaten up by a midcarder for life and a big man who could have been more if he was booked right! Oh No!
And the first sign of hope for the fans- The Warrior's music. YAY!!!!
Now if you take the music out of that it wouldn't have been as awesome. It just would have been "Oh, he's helping out Hulk Hogan. What a swell guy." But since he had his music going on it was "OMFG!!!! FUCK YEA!!!!!!!!!"

Albeit Flair and Savage should have headlined that card.

I thought you said ''Albert'' not ''Albeit''.

Shaggy
08-08-2008, 04:40 AM
playing a wrestler's theme music before he makes a run-in. It doesn't make any sense. It's like "Hey my friend's getting his ass kicked. I better help him. Wait! I have to go tell the audio guy to queue up my theme before I can go out there." Austin was the worst about this. He never made a run-in without his music playing first.

I know why they do it and I know why it works, it just doesn't make any sense.

I always wondered this myself and at one point came to the conclusion that when the wrestler was running out to save someone he ran by the Gorilla Postion. Who ever was at the Gorilla Position sent word to the sound truck and they started the music. :shifty:

The Mackem
08-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I just thought the wrestler pressed the play button before coming through the curtain.

Kane Knight
08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
It's a little known fact that the production trailer employs a "spotter" who tels them who's coming out.

BigDaddyCool
08-08-2008, 09:11 AM
You will notice that only faces do this. Heels sneak in from the crowd unannounce. When you become a face, your iq drops by like 50 points.

The main execption is that Undertaker. He goes around to lighting, pyro, and the sound guys before he does anything, including but not limited to run-ins. Someitme he also get a bunch of extras too. He is the worst.

FourFifty
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM
It's a little known fact that the production trailer employs a "spotter" who tels them who's coming out.

Greatest KayFabe answer, ever.

Sebastian
08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
This is an entertainment industry. This is wrestling, yes, but it is a SHOW. This is NOT the UFC so you should be accepting that you're watching a show. I dont understand why it can bother people.

Kane Knight
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
This is an entertainment industry. This is wrestling, yes, but it is a SHOW. This is NOT the UFC so you should be accepting that you're watching a show. I dont understand why it can bother people.

A show about an unscripted sports company. A show which relies on surprises and twists and turns. Announcing a surprise run-in makes no sense from either standpoint, but especially the latter.

Lux
08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Greatest KayFabe answer, ever.

:lol: :yes:

Y2Ant
08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
With Austin, his music was like a major thing though with like the glass smash, it made people go mental.

Especially that one where he twatted The Rock with a chair on RAW in late 98 and helped Foley win the WWF title, that was one of the best pops ever.

Y2Ant
08-09-2008, 11:57 AM
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/omNE1OYFxyc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

:cool:

NeanderCarl
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Xero Limit, do you possibly have a list I could reference so that I don't look foolish next time?

Here's two for ya, to start with...

http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59598

http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73858

Indifferent Clox
08-09-2008, 05:08 PM
I would watch UFC much more if they allowed legit run ins and hardcore matches.

Indifferent Clox
08-09-2008, 05:10 PM
basically if they had a storyline but still real fights.

NeanderCarl
08-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Didn't Tod Gordon start an MMA promotion with exactly that premise?

Sebastian
08-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I would watch UFC much more if they allowed legit run ins and hardcore matches.

I agree 100%. I tried to watch UFC a few times but I got sooooo bored with guys just rolling around all the times.

Boxing is a lot better, UFC just isnt fast paced enough for me.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Boxing is fast paced? Really?

Mooияakeя™
08-10-2008, 12:33 PM
When a fury of punches to the face doesn't even knock anyone out, take them off their feet, or when it does they jump straight back up to receive another, yet throwing someone out of a ring keeps them down for ages.

Add to this, why the wrestler inside the ring would go outside and break the ref's count. Erm, u threw him out, let him get counted out.

TerranRich
08-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh, and what about the Referee Shirt of Doom? Putting on a black & white striped shirt automatically turns any wrestler into a one-punch wimp.

El Fangel
08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Or when you have your back turned to the match you are 100% deaf

Mooияakeя™
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Or that back in the day, 2 lifts of your arm you were asleep in that sleeper hold. But the 3rd gave u awsome wake-up-ability powerz.

Kane Knight
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Or when you have your back turned to the match you are 100% deaf

Even when facing the Titantron, which is showing the action, in which case you are totally blind, to boot.

Innovator
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
When HBK starts stomping the ground, the other person doesn't notice it or the crowd chanting along

Mooияakeя™
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Or when someone is thrusted in between HHH's legs, they'd just stay there FOREVERRRRRRRRRR.

Of course, unless it's a title match in which ONCE he'll counter.

Kane Knight
08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Or when someone is thrusted in between HHH's legs, they'd just stay there FOREVERRRRRRRRRR.

Of course, unless it's a title match in which ONCE he'll counter.

Not to mention, they always manage to jump and move their legs out of the way.

TerranRich
08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
For that matter, the victim of an Irish Whip always keeps running, even bouncing off the ropes and running some more... even jumping over/under the wrestler at times, and still running.

NeanderCarl
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM
For that matter, the victim of an Irish Whip always keeps running, even bouncing off the ropes and running some more... even jumping over/under the wrestler at times, and still running.

Yet SvR players insist it's a glitch!

Theo Dious
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
The whole "theme music before a run-in thing" makes perfect sense. Either a) the person doing the run-in plays it to intimidate the person they're running in on, or b) the people in the production truck have a backstage camera and know when a guy is about to hit the ramp. Simple.