PDA

View Full Version : Matt Striker is the best commentator in the WWE

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:00 AM
It's very refreshing to hear him on commentary because get this HE ACTUALLY KNOWS THE NAME OF THE MOVES. Not every move is described as a" high impact move".
I hope he stays longer than for a cup of coffee ala Foley.

TerranRich
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately, he will be told by Vince to not focus on the moves, and to focus more on the story and the gimmicks and other useless crap we don't care about.

Mr. Nerfect
09-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Matt Striker is indeed good on commentary. He has some good insights, and is fast on his feet. I see him sticking around and doing a fantastic job.

Afterlife
09-10-2008, 01:41 AM
I dunno. He's not calling every move that's made, so maybe Vince won't bear down on him. Also, I like that he's legitimately smarter than Grisham, but nt trying so damn hard to be arrogant, like JBL was.

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
He seems really knowlegable out there. He picks his spot. Probably the best transition from wrestler to commentator that I've ever seen.

Mr. Nerfect
09-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Todd Grisham really isn't doing badly as ECW play-by-play guy. He and Matt Striker have areal sense of chemistry, and Grisham manages to keep up. He's quite a witty guy.

TerranRich
09-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I dunno, upscaling the arrogance would probably be even better. I liked JBL's commentator character. It was like a toned-down, "can't believe I'm not wrestling anymore, so I'll take my frustrations out on this headset" version of his wrestling persona. I haven't really heard Striker all that much though, so I can't say for sure.

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
I've always liked Grisham. I used to watch Heat alot and I've been a fan. Grisham always did well there whether he was paired with the Coach or Matthews.

Gertner
09-10-2008, 01:49 AM
I dunno, upscaling the arrogance would probably be even better. I liked JBL's commentator character. It was like a toned-down, "can't believe I'm not wrestling anymore, so I'll take my frustrations out on this headset" version of his wrestling persona. I haven't really heard Striker all that much though, so I can't say for sure.

I just like how he knows the names of moves that the casual fan wouldn't know. He's almost like he is in real life: a teacher. Calling Swagger's finisher a "Blue Thudner Bomb" or "Chavo"s rolling Liger kick". I think Striker's commentary appeals to the IWC.

Mr. Nerfect
09-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I love the way he throws out a random move name occasionally. It's like he's showing off his knowledge, without getting bogged down in it. He's obviously a student of the game, so hopefully he gets even better as time goes on.

As long as he stays true to his appreciation of intelligence, and doesn't become just another babyface voice on commentary, I think Striker will be fine.

Afterlife
09-10-2008, 02:18 AM
There was nothing "toned down" about JBL.

addy2hotty
09-10-2008, 05:13 AM
TBH, the ECW commentary during their scramble kept me watching it. They are a very good pairing and although seemed a bit nervous opening the show, they soon got into it.

Fox
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Todd Grisham's voice reminds me of Paul Heyman, which is not a bad thing at all.

I couldn't believe I heard the words "tilt a whirl backbreaker" on a WWE show. JR and Cole would've just called it "a backbreaker" or "continual punishment to the lower back."

Gertner
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
no Fox, it's called "a high impact move"

Exyle
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Or a modified backbreaker, ala JR.

TerranRich
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
There was nothing "toned down" about JBL.

I say "toned-down" because he wasn't yelling into the microphone, proclaiming to be a "wrestling god" and whatnot. He got pissed off at times, but never to the point where he ever did (or does now) as a wrestler.

St. Jimmy
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I still mark out for Elevated Dick.

TerranRich
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Striker: "Little known fact, Todd, it's actually called the Elevated Penis, harking back to the 1960s when the move was first popularized."

Xero
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Of course, there are other variations, such as the Short-Arm Chub and the Top Rope Inverted Elevated Spinning Dick.

TerranRich
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Those variations are banned by WWE however.

jindrak
09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Josh Matthews is the most underutilized member of the WWE roster. Seriously.

Josh Matthews>every other current announcer.

Afterlife
09-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I say "toned-down" because he wasn't yelling into the microphone, proclaiming to be a "wrestling god" and whatnot. He got pissed off at times, but never to the point where he ever did (or does now) as a wrestler.

Your memory appears blotchy. lol I recall the obnoxious hollerings of John Justin Hawk Bradshaw Layfield on more broadcasts than I care to...well...recall.

TerranRich
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Eh, I guess. He just seemed not-as-pissed-off as a commentator compared to being a wrestler.

Afterlife
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I dunno, dude. He seemed just as obnoxious to me -- and it was even considerably worse, given that it wasn't just one segtment, but the full 2 hour duration.

TerranRich
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
True. It was probably the fact that we were exposed to him for 2 hours straight that alters my perception of him as a commentator.