PDA

View Full Version : Foreign language films you own

Danny Electric
09-13-2008, 07:33 PM
So yeah I'll probably get some ideas from some of you on what to get next but I own

Amores Perros
Brotherhood
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
Cashern
Cronos
City Of God
Devils Backbone
Howl's Moving Castle
Irreversible
La Haine
Pans Labyrinth
The Orphanage

I keep meaning to pick up Battle Royale as well

Jeritron
09-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Star Wars

Triple A
09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Abre Los Ojos - Incredible movie. One of my fav movies ever. Vanilla Sky was a remake of this.

Amores Perros

Audition - Trippy fucked up Japanese movie. Good shit.

Breathless - Classic.

City of God

El Topo - Fucking weird ass movie. Surrealism at its best.

The Experiment - Based on the Stanford prison experiments where they got a bunch of students to be prisoners and a bunch to be guards and see how that ended up.

Funny Games - Original version.

Ichi the Killer - Pretty good. Same director as Audition.

Irreversible - Messed up movie. Like a 10 min uncut rape scene. Also goes backwards.

Lilja 4-ever - Probably one of the best movies ever. This movie is incredible. Definitely check it out.

Oldboy - I have owned this freakin movie for years but still haven't even watched it. I probably should.

Paradise Now - Arabic movie about two guys who are recruited for a suicide bombing. Good movie. Nominated for an Oscar and won the Golden Globe for best foreign film.

Paris Je T'aime - Great movie. I think it is like 20 or something short films about Paris/love with guys like the Coen brothers, Gus Van Sant, Wes Craven, Steve Buscemi, Natalie Portman, Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Phantom of Liberty - Luis Bunuel, guy who David Lynch has said inspired him. Just a weird ass movie. It is just a series of surreal skits. Good stuff.

Please Vote For Me - Short documentary about 3 chinese kids wanted to get elected as class leader. Amazing.

Run Lola Run - Good stuff.

Show Me Love - Love this movie. From the same director as Lilja 4-ever.

Together - Same as above.

Un Chien Andalou - Short surreal movie. Bunuel again, and co-written by Salvador Dali.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Two dudes fight over a girl they pick up hitchhiking. Great movie.

Ben Rodrigues
09-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Old Boy
My Sassy Girl
My Sassy Girl Directors Cut
Windstruck
The Uninvited
Daisy
Il Mare
White Valentine
Battle Royale

And if it counts - Passion of the Christ

Ben Rodrigues
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I've tried to watch Irreversible 3 times. Everytime I watch it I get a headache about 20 minutes in.

Jeritron
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Trips, you should watch Oldboy soon. Like tonight. Like in 20 minutes. Or right now.

thedamndest
09-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I own no foreign movies, but I have rented a good amount of these. I chalk it up to the fact that foreign films are often more expensive and I usually buy "cheapies but goodies" (or just cheapies). I do own Spirited Away. Don't know if that counts.

thedamndest
09-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Two foreign films I WISH I owned are Tetsuo the Iron Man and Attack the Gas Station.

Triple A
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh I have Tetsuo too but remember not liking it at all when I watched it for some reason. I was Very High while watching it and barely remember anything about it so maybe I will give it another shot.

Danny Electric
09-13-2008, 08:09 PM
I want to watch Paradise Now.

Champion of Europa
09-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, wtf Triple A. Watch Oldboy.

2046 - I still haven't watched this. I'm a hypocrite.

Lady Vengeance - Almost as good as Oldboy to me. Different tone, though. I like that.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture - So fucked up, but so good. Hardcore penetration put in during the sex scenes and a real corpse eye is poked out. It's about a girl forced into being a prostitute and then taking her revenge.

Female Vampire - Old sexploitation flick. Fucking weird and full of boobies. Kinda gross in bits. Beautiful cinematography. Its about a lady vampire who feeds through oral sex.

Ichi the Killer - Very fucked up, but I enjoyed it.

Gozu - Words cannot even describe.

Oldboy - Triple A should watch this.

Bird with the Crystal Plumage - A Dario Argento movie. It's more Hitchockian than his other stuff. His first movie. Score by Ennio Morricone, who rules. It's about finding a murderer in Italy.

Run Lola Run - Crazy little German movie. Enjoyable. About a chick trying to find money to get her boyfriend out of trouble.

The Beyond - Fucked up Italian zombie movie. Gorey as hell.

Zombi - An italian zombie movie. Shark vs. Zombie.

3 Extremes - 3 different stories directed by 3 different directors, including Park Chan Wook (Vengeance Trilogy) and Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, Audition)

Shogun Assassin -Awesome samurai flick. Mentioned in Kill Bill Vol. 2

Versus - I consider this a zombie action movie. Crazy.

Five Fingers of Death - A kung fu movie that Tarantino ripped off. He does a commentary on the DVD. Good stuff.

Street Fighter - Mentioned in True Romance. Fun movie.

I also have a burnt copy of Lilja 4 Ever that I havent watched caused the subtitles are a little behind.

Confused
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Lady Vengeance has more black humour to it. Its still a great movie though and along with Oldboy is quite the fucking achievement.

One movie i recently bought was the South Korean Memories of Murder. It is absolutely fantastic. Humourous, dark, unsettling and all the more affecting because its based on the true story of Koreas first serial killer. Amazing film.

Confused
09-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, somebody mentioned Audition. That is a supremely fucked up film. Can remember the scenes with 'The sack' really creeping me out. Great film but you need a strong stomach for it.

ClockShot
09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Infernal Affiars Trilogy
Pan's Labyrinth
House of Flying Daggers
Curse of the Golden Flower
Iron Monkey

mitch_h
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Feel like a huge loser posting this list...

3 Extremes
400 Blows

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
À Nos Amours
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Amarcord
Amélie
Amores Perros
Andrei Rublev
Army of Shadows
Audition
Au hasard Balthazar
Au revoir les enfants
Autumn Sonata
Band of Outsiders
Battle of Algiers
A Better Tomorrow
A Better Tomorrow II
The Bicycle Thief
The Bird People in China
Breathless
Caché
The Celebration
Un Chien Andalou
Chungking Express
City of God
Death of Mr. Lazarescu
The Decline of the American Empire
Elevator to the Gallows
L'Enfant
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Even Dwarfs Started Small
Eyes Without a Face
Fanny & Alexander
Funny Games
Grand Illusion
La Haine
Hard Boiled
Heart of Glass
The Hidden Fortress
Hiroshima Mon Amour
I Stand Alone
Ichi the Killer
Irréversible
Ivan’s Childhood
Juliet of the Spirits
The Killer
The Kingdom
Knife in the Water
Late Spring
Léolo
Lola
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Masculin, Féminin
The Mirror
Mouchette
Oldboy
Open Your Eyes
Paradise Now
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Persona
The Phantom of Liberty
Ran
Rashomon
The Rules of the Game
Run Lola Run
Le Samouraï
Scenes from a Marriage
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Shoot the Piano Player
Show Me Love
The Silence
Solaris
Sólo con tu pareja
The Spirit of the Beehive
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring
Stalker
Stroszek
Taste of Cherry
Through a Glass Darkly
Tokyo Story
Ugetsu
Umberto D
Veronika Voss
Werckmeister Harmonies
Wings of Desire
Winter Light
Y Tu Mamá También
Yi Yi

El Capitano Gatisto
09-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't really own any at all, however, I would suggest you watch No Man's Land. Another good one that hasn't been mentioned is The Night of the Sunflowers.

Oldboy is the only film out of that trilogy I enjoyed. I thought the other 2 were quite shit, in fact.

ct2k
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
City of God
Infernal Affairs
Oldboy
Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
Public Enemy
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
La Haine
Man Bites Dog
In The Mood For Love
Y tu Mama Tambien
Cinema Paradiso
Chungking Express

Champion of Europa
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
ct2k, you are a legend.

ct2k
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Ive not seen Lady Vengeance, is it as horrifically compelling as Mr Vengeance and Oldboy?

Champion of Europa
09-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Ive not seen Lady Vengeance, is it as horrifically compelling as Mr Vengeance and Oldboy?

It's very beautifully shot. And its thematically different. To me, it seems like it's about the personal toll dedicating your life to vengeance takes. Of course, I could be wrong. I haven't watched it in some time.

But I really liked it.

ct2k
09-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll have to pick it up to complete the trilogy, I just recommended Mr Vengeance to PG in his depresso thread:y:

Champion of Europa
09-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I need to get Mr. Vengeance to complete the trilogy. That's the one I haven't seen.

ct2k
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Its quite sparse in a way...I dunno, its almost like the violence is symbolic of what would be dialogue in any other films, certainly in anything American. Its beautifully shot also, just delightful to watch despite the brutality of it.

Requiem
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Letters from Iwo Jima

That's about it. I don't own many foreign language films, but I have seen plenty.

Nowhere Man
09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Pan's Labyrinth
Letters from Iwo Jima
Downfall
Run Lola Run
La Dolce Vida
Nightwatch
Oldboy
The Seven Samurai
Ran (aka King Lear with samurai)
Throne of Blood (aka Macbeth with samurai)
Yojimbo
Gojira (and about two dozen other daikaiju movies)
Battle Royale

CSL
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Only film I own is Downfall. Saw Delicatessen and M recently. Thought M was spooky as fuck

GD
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
You guys don't see Bollywood movies?

CSL
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Funnily enough, there was a bollywood film on TV last night when I was responding to this thread. Wasn't paying attention to what was going on but the birds in it were smoking hot

Rob
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Downfall and El Mariachi

Danny Electric
09-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Has anyone seen Persopolis yet?

The Mask
09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
i thought vanilla sky was a remake of amores perros :$

Juan
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Amores Perros
El Crimen Del Padre Amaro
Y tu mamá también
The Motorcycle Diaries
City of God
El Mariachi

Champion of Europa
09-16-2008, 07:43 AM
You guys don't see Bollywood movies?

I really wanna see some, but they aren't too accessible in rural America.

Also, I own El Mariachi but forgot it wasn't American.

Mr. Nerfect
09-17-2008, 06:37 AM
I really want to get Y Yu Mama Tambien all of a sudden. Is that a good movie? I've heard good things about it, and it's popped up a lot here.