PDA

View Full Version : Headlocked

Indifferent Clox
09-15-2008, 03:57 AM
anyone read this wrestling comic? I've heard it isn't bad at all.

http://www.comicspace.com/headlocked/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=43464214

Mercury Bullet
09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Nope

Destor
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Why not post a link or an example or something useful? Shit thread.

GD
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
True True.

Indifferent Clox
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Done

BigDaddyCool
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Neither of those links go to an exmaple, just MySpace pages. You fail.

Indifferent Clox
09-16-2008, 12:05 AM
You have to actually buy the comic, it isn't online.

Jeritron
09-16-2008, 12:50 AM
You heard the man. SHIT THREAD

BigDaddyCool
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
So you can't even show us some frames?

Headlocked
09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Someone alerted me to this thread so I thought I'd step in and see if I could save it from "Shit thread" status....

My name is Mike Kingston and I am the writer/creator of Headlocked.

Our first issue Headlocked: Work of Art debuted last year to critical acclaim. Jerry Lawler, RVD, Samoa Joe, Low Ki, Jonny Fairplay, Blue Meanie, Shawn Daivari are among some of the fans of the first issue....

And as for frames....we can do you one better...you can read the entire first issue...all 48 pgs.. and our 20 pg preview issue online for free and you can see what you think.

www.wowio.com/users/searchresults.asp?nGroupId=[408]

We have a three issue mini-series coming up this fall called Headlocked: The Tryout. Our first issue features a painted cover by Jerry Lawler so we're hoping that it does well.

If you like the book and are interested in reading the upcoming series, you can pre-order Issue 1 and 2 (#3 will be next month) at your local comic book store or online at www.mailordercomics.com

So check it out and if something you might dig, order a copy....as an indy book, we need all the help we can get to make a name for ourselves. If you know other people who might be interested, please help spread the word.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the story.

Michael Kingston
~writer/creator of Headlocked

My studios official website is www.visionarycomics.com where you can find all the latest info, if you're interested. Also check out www.myspace.com/mike_kingston and www.facebook.com/pages/Headlocked/11313203558.

Jeritron
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
flame on boys

Jeritron
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
the question is, is there a spy among us?

Xero
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Someone alerted me to this thread so I thought I'd step in and see if I could save it from "Shit thread" status....

Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but...

SID

Headlocked
09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Ah, the link was messed up but now it's fixed...

U-Warrior
09-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Oh dear god, this can't end well.

Lux
09-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Is this legit?

Headlocked
09-18-2008, 05:10 AM
flame on boys

Yes by all means....flame on. At least do me the favor of actually reading it first. I notice a tendency for people talking way out their ass on here.

Here is what the series is about.....

Mike Hartmann is a skinny theater major when he attends his first wrestling event, albeit against his will. Once there, he is mesmerized with the performance and can see the art behind the chair swinging theatrics. He then sets out to learn the craft of pro wrestling and make it to the top of the wrestling world.

The story follows Hartmann on his journey from working on blood spotted mats in high school gyms all the way to the top of the wrestling industry. But before he reaches the big time, he must navigate the seedy underbelly of a business that hasn’t progressed much from its carnival roots. It’s a journey filled with con men, racism, gangsters, drugs, money, sex, and unscripted violence. In his travels, he will learn wrestling’s closely guarded trade secrets, its rich history around the world, and the incredible physical and mental toll its performers are forced to endure.

It's a twist on the "girl gets off the bus in Hollywood to become an actress" only its "guy gets off a bus in Philadelphia to become a wrestler"

And here are some reviews of the first issue, Headlocked: Work of Art (which you can read for free at the link in the first post)

"This is one of the best comics I’ve read all year. As a comic book reader and reviewer and as a wrestling fan, I have to encourage you to read this book. It’s extremely well done; the story is clear, coherent, easy to follow and fresh. Find this book, order it if you have to, its really worth it." -Kevin Powers, Silver Bullet Comics

“Dude. I loved the comic. I want to follow the story. Good job!” –Rob Van Dam

“I enjoyed the first issue. People who give it an honest read will dig it.” –Samoa Joe

“Great job! I really liked the first issue” –Survivor and reality TV star Jonny Fairplay

"HEADLOCKED demonstrates exactly where the passion for the art and craft of professional wrestling is born." -former WWE/WCW writer Ed Ferrara

"I thought Headlocked was great. Its definetly a concept I felt could be adapted to a major motion picture." – Shawn Daivari

"A fun, informative read for non-wrestling fans, yet written intelligently enough for diehard fans to enjoy." - Jason Powell, ProWrestling.Net

"Having suffered through literally dozens of horrible wrestling-related comic books, it was nice to see that the boys behind Headlocked are the first to deal with the subject in a realistic, and more importantly, entertaining way." Derek Burgan, F4Wrestling.com

"I was absolutely impressed with the books presentation. This book will provide the average comic book fan who may think that professional wrestling is a joke a knowledgeable and detailed look at what the business is all about." -Steve Wilson, Main Event Radio

"The quality of the book proves to me that this is both a series of note and a series that will prevail." -Joe Babinsack, Wrestling Observer

I’d have to say this is an intriguing debut issue. Headlocked features strong characters and, best of all, a non-condescending and realistic view of the world of rasslin’. Wrestling fans really need to check this one out. -Encyclopedia of Wrestling Comics.

Lux
09-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Headlocked... do you know the poster known as Noid? If you don't he writes rediculously long posts that nobody reads... I advise you shorten your post and I will agree that most of us talk out of our asses but if you don't like it then stop posting here, simple.

Impact!
09-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Lux if you have a problem reading something that long you should probably get some help. Seriously

U-Warrior
09-18-2008, 08:58 AM
lol really.

Lux
09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Lux if you have a problem reading something that long you should probably get some help. Seriously

Never said I didn't did I :p

CSL
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, so I read it. I mean, it's definitely more 'realistic' than most things related to pro wrestling away from the actual industry itself but at the same time, not all that 'realistic' either. But 'creative liberties' are to be expected because I don't think a comic book chronicling a guy's multi-year crawl through independent shows for shitty (if any at all) payoffs in front of 7-strong crowd in a shed would make for interesting reading :y:

Jeritron
09-18-2008, 02:35 PM
LOL

Jeritron
09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I was simply pointing out from my experience here that situations like this do not end well

Xero
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
You think?

:shifty:

Headlocked
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I was simply pointing out from my experience here that situations like this do not end well

Hey its no biggie...I'm a big boy and I can take a little flaming. This ain't my first trip to a message board.

I just figured I had something that people might be interested in checking out as wrestling fans since there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there that treats wrestling with any kind of respect so I'd let you know about it.

But I've been a wrestling fan my whole life and I know what to expect from when I post on wrestling message boards...hell, I'm just as bad at times.

And yes, its not going to be a 100% accurate portrayal because the story does need to move along and I don't think people would be lining up to read the biography of say....Azreal.

My goal is to have it developed into a cable series so I'll be writing it in that vein. (I've already has some inquiries along those lines and I'm hoping this recent success of Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler will help pick up interest) The story will be driven by some of the more negative aspects of the business but I am hoping to shed a little light on the craft of wrestling and exactly what these guys go through....

So if you like it, you like it....if you don't, you don't. I don't take it personally. I'm just another indy comic looking to build myself a fan base.

And I'll probably stick around and post a bit around here....someone has to set you clowns straight.:heart:

thedamndest
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I had a good time reading this. I like the way you brought the 80's into the 90's by making the Vince McMahon character a public figure. I pretty much agree with everything CSL said about there being an adequate level of realism. I hope the CPA character dies in a steroid scandal because he is too close to IRS for comfort. Good work.

BigDaddyCool
09-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I had a good time reading this. I like the way you brought the 80's into the 90's by making the Vince McMahon character a public figure. I pretty much agree with everything CSL said about there being an adequate level of realism. I hope the CPA character dies in a steroid scandal because he is too close to IRS for comfort. Good work.

I have a problem with CPAs dying.

thedamndest
09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a problem with you texting photos of your penis to your brother-in-law.

BigDaddyCool
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I have a problem with you having a problem with me texting my penis to anyone.

Headlocked
11-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Issues #1 and #2 were released today.

Got a decent review by Ain't it Cool News...

www.aintitcool.com/node/39069

Headlocked: The Tryout #1 and #2

Sure, it might be fake and all a show, a soap opera on steroids with clothing that would make a drag queen blush, but there’s something cool about Professional Wrestling. Much like superhero comics, there are histories and origins at play in Professional Wrestling: bad guys and good guys; stories of morality, inspiration, and intrigue. Ever wonder what it takes to make it as one of the big name wrestlers? Well, this book answers all of your questions. Writer Michael Kingston does a nice job of following one would be wrestler with dreams of stardom as he sweats his way through wrestling try outs. It’s a fun twist on your typical underdog story, set to a backdrop that, whether you like it or not, is a major facet in entertainment these days. Randy Valiente does a capable job of making the odds seem tough and the characters gritty and real. Valiente shies away from overblown proportions, thankfully, and gives us a much more authentic version of what one needs to go through in order to be a Pro Wrestler. The artist also does a good job of drawing some pretty complicated wrestling moves with ease. If you like wrestling, this is a comic you’ll want to seek out.

You can get these at any comic book store or online at www.midtowncomics.com or headlockedcomic@yahoo.com