PDA

View Full Version : Life and Times of Mr. Perfect DVD Review

Loose Cannon
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
So I picked this up this past weekend. I was really looking foward to it as WWE hadn't released one of these old school wrestler DVD's in a while that has the documentary on it. I was not a Mr. Perfect fan growing up at all because I hated the guy as a kid. But today, looking back, he had definately become one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

I'll cover it in length in this thread but to sum it up, The DVD was another winner from WWE. It had a lot of great stories on there told from various people about Curt's career and it highlighted his career from the AWA to WCW. Now, I was surprised that the documentary skipped over some key angles and matches and I will cover that, but I would still recomend this to anyone.

Documentary: 9/10

Documentary starts just like every other WWE DVD that covers a superstar. They show baby pictures of Curt, they show where he grew up, they show his parents, they tell the story on how he met his wife and they explain how he got in the business.

Some of the people interviewed for the documentary include his dad, his wife, Wade Boggs, Michael Hayes, his son, Bruce Prichard, Bret Hart (from his DVD though), Edge, HHH, Flair, Bobby Heenan, Greg Gange and others.

They highlight his AWA run and surprising to me, they actually stay on the AWA for a pretty decent amount of time. This section was longer then his WCW section. Well I guess it's not that surprising. They show the ridiculous looking Scott Hall (aka Tom Sellek) as Curt used to be his tag partner in the AWA. They highlight his Title match with Nick Bockwinkle as it was probably one of the best matches they ever did. They highlighted the feud he had with Gange as well. Like I said, they covered a good amount here. Curt met Wade Boggs in this time period as well

They transition to his career in the WWE. They of course touch on the origins of the Mr. Perfect character and touch all on those skits they filmed with the basketball, baseball, bowling etc... Here's two things you may not know. I was aware of this, but Terry Taylor was actually tapped to play the Mr. Perfect character, but they instead gave it to Curt. Also, Bruce Prichard said Hennig could never do what he needed to do ,in respect to those skits, when the camera was rolling. He always did it when the camera was not rolling, so Bruce decided he would just keep the cameras rolling at all times.

They highlight some bloopers from those skits, where Curt would miss shots and everything. This was great.

Wade Boggs tells a nice story about when him and Curt went huning, Wade got caught in some barb wire and it sliced his whole leg open. Keep in mind it was freezing outside and this was Minnesota. Curt got him down and carried him a half a mile to help. The doctor said Boggs would of died if Curt wasn't there. \

Wade Boggs also says that he was the one that originally came up with the "Wolfpac sign" He said he used to have a group of friends called the Wolfpac and they would give the Too Sweet sign to each other. Curt then took that and did the sign to Scott Hall when they were in WWF and eventually, Hall and Nash began using it. Pretty funny if that is really true

They cover his IC run, but really only say how he was a great champion and made the IC Title worth a dam. They of course cover Summerslam 91. No mention of his Hogan feud, no mention of his Texas Tornado feud and no mention of Bobby Heenan being his manager. They only showed Heenan helping him win the IC Title in 89.

Then here's where I kind of felt they skipped an important part. They didn't cover anything on his whole babyface run in 92 with Flair and Savage. I was really surprised there was 0 talk of it. They did mention he became Flair's manager, but only showed like 60 seconds of that. No mention of the feuds with Luger or HBK eathier.

The DVD did cover a lot about him being a pratical joker and there was some funny stories told. They also went over his days as a commentator and said he was "Perfect" for the role.

Quickly, the DVD goes to the Raw where he turned heel again and helped HHH win the IC Title. HHH says being with Perfect helped him a lot. The angle quickly was dropped because Perfect left for WCW.

We go to Curt's WCW run and they highlight the whole Four Horsemen deal and his eventual turn on them. Fucking Arn Anderson acting all kayfabe again saying Curt took the big bucks and joined the nWo. It's 2008 Arn, we all know wreslting has writers and storylines by now.

Ric Flair mentioned that the angle where Curt slammed the cage door in Flair's head at Fall Brawl was stolen from World Class when the Free Birds did it to Kerry Von Erich.

They briefly highlight his West Texas Rednecks run. It was very brief though and I was dissapointed by that. They also showed his US Title win.

Then we go back to WWE with his Rumble return. He was only suppossed to come back for a day, but he did so good that they gave him a full time job. Edge talks about the match he worked with him. A lot of guys said that Curt was nearing the end of his run here and his job was to just help the younger guys. They then mention his release, but no mention of the plane incident, where Scott Hall got fired as well.

Then finally, they cover his death and recap everything with some sweet uplifting music just like a lot of the DVD's do at the end.

All in all, very good DVD. Definately Download it or buy it, whatever.

Matches and Extras. 8.5/10

They have all his "Perfect" skits he did with the sports. They have some rare matches with Hogan, Von Erich, Eddie Gilbert and Terry Taylor. They have his Summerslam and Uncesored 98 match with Bret Hart. His match with Nick Bockwinkle is there as well. And a match with HBK which is good.

I would of liked to see more interviewes or important segments there as well (his face turn in WWF where he turned on Heenan, the angle they did where he destroyed Hogan's belt, and more Texas Redneck stuff as well) They do have the Rap is Crap video :love:

Fabien Barthez
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Sweet review dude. Downloading as we speak. :y:

Dorkchop
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd love to watch it, but I don't know if I'd like to own it.

rojas
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
First off, great review. My wife got this for me on Monday. I immediately sat down and watched it.

They cover his IC run, but really only say how he was a great champion and made the IC Title worth a dam. They of course cover Summerslam 91. No mention of his Hogan feud, no mention of his Texas Tornado feud and no mention of Bobby Heenan being his manager. They only showed Heenan helping him win the IC Title in 89.

Then here's where I kind of felt they skipped an important part. They didn't cover anything on his whole babyface run in 92 with Flair and Savage. I was really surprised there was 0 talk of it. They did mention he became Flair's manager, but only showed like 60 seconds of that. No mention of the feuds with Luger or HBK eathier.

I totally agree. The documentary started off strong but then it felt like they skipped a ton of stuff (like you just mentioned) I wasn't too crazy with the match selections either. I mean, he had some great matches with Bret Hart but too many were shown. Plus, I know he wrestled in more places than Madison Square Garden.

Overall, I would give this one a 6/10..a bit disappointing but I really loved Mr. Perfect so its definitely staying in the collection.

Loose Cannon
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
yea, I agree. what is there obsession with MSG matches? seems like they love to choose those for thier DVD's

Lord-Of-Darkness
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Downloaded it today, gonna watch it later. Will post my thoughts after

PorkSoda
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Bought this the first day it came out. I'm a huge Perfect mark, so therefore, its my favorite DVD.

LOL at the story of Gene Okerlund telling the story of Mr. Perfect doing some business in a little kids training toilet....

And Ive never seen the vignettes of Mr. Perfect before.....they are unbelieveable.

DVD is awesome.

Funky Fly
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Gonna get this fo sho

Mooияakeя™
09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
yea, I agree. what is there obsession with MSG matches? seems like they love to choose those for thier DVD's

Probably cos the crowd there is usually decent, having said that, I'm thinking of today's times and MSG seems the only crowd that people look forward to seeing on TV! lol

Gertner
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
His AWA stuff was amazing. He carried them on their back for a couple years.